ladies: has a male crew member ever...

johno95

As a young single on my first cruise, I had a not too pleasant experience with an engineer. Some of it was the result of a very loose travel companion who decided to hook up with another engineer (and spent many a nite in his cabin), so I guess he thought I was of the same ilk.

Why do you ask?

YES - I was on a family cruise and rooming with my adult niece. Our waiter started to pay a lot of attention to me - even wanting to hand feed me my dessert! :eek:

He asked for my cabin number because he wanted to send some wine. NO WAY was he getting my cabin number - he probably could have gotten it another way.

Yes, I should have reported it but I really did not want to see him lose his job - I should have worried about others that he may have tried this with - next time I would handle things differently. :confused: You cannot be too careful these days!

My wife admitted to me that before we married she had an on-board 'romance' with a crewman. No sex (so she says) but he showed her all over the ship including his cabin and other behind the scene 'crew only' areas.

The day before the cruise ended, she couldn't find him anywhere. Turns out he was married and didn't want anyone to find out and tell his wife what he does at sea for a week at a time.

i just finished watching a BBC news segment that included this topic. So I had it on my mind.

As a young single on my first cruise, I had a not too pleasant experience with an engineer. Some of it was the result of a very loose travel companion who decided to hook up with another engineer (and spent many a nite in his cabin), so I guess he thought I was of the same ilk.

Why do you ask?

come on to you or paid you an inappropriate amount of attention? :eek:

Yes...there was a waiter (he served the table next to mine) on one of my cruises whose actions were beyond inappropriate. He went so far as to look me up based on my table number and call my room. I was the only female at the table who didn't share a last name with the males at the table so it looks like he figured out my name through process of elimination.

When I was younger, but with my husband, we had a waiter in the Pizza restaurant become very friendly to us both. (we had pizza for lunch almost every day) He knew how I loved the soufles, so when we had a good dessert coming he would leave his table and come and let me know what to order. He was sweet, but not improper. I think most of them are just trying to be nice, but there always is that one that you just know has something else on their mind.

come on to you or paid you an inappropriate amount of attention? :eek:

No, and I've been cruising since I was a teenager (now in my 40s).

A lot of the instances reported in that story apparently occurred when there was a lot of flirting on the part of the passengers, as well as alcohol involved.

When I was younger, but with my husband, we had a waiter in the Pizza restaurant become very friendly to us both. (we had pizza for lunch almost every day) He knew how I loved the soufles, so when we had a good dessert coming he would leave his table and come and let me know what to order. He was sweet, but not improper. I think most of them are just trying to be nice, but there always is that one that you just know has something else on their mind.

I agree I have had many be very nice to me but NOT inappropriate. I did have a fellow PAX try and pick me up many years ago now, it was my first cruise- but then he realized I was with my hubby (I was waiting for my hubby while he grabbed something from the buffet but I guess I appeared to be alone) and he took off. My hubby was mad about it so I guess he SHOULD have took off.

Now one cruise when we took our daughter and some of her friends (major mistake to have 4 teenage girls and the oldest is 19) they got friendly with our assitant waiter, he was removed from the dinningroom and put up in the lido restuarant, after leaving the ship with the girls in one of the ports, I have a feeling the poor kid was fired after that cruise. I felt badly for him, because the oldest girl who was 19, was coming on to him pretty hard and I told her REPEATLY to leave him alone. My daughter, who was 16 at the time, and her youngest friend who was 15; finially came and told me, when I kept asking our waiter what happend to the boy. This silly boy had actually had his picture made with the girls debarking the ship by the ship's photographer, I am sure he was recognized later by someone as a ship's employee.

On my last cruise, one of the shop guy (one of the best looking man I have ever seen in my whole life, really) stopped me to tell me how beautiful and classy I looked. He said he wanted a dance with me before the end of the cruise (I think the people from the shops have the right to hang out in passengers areas after their shift). I told him I didn't know how to dance and he offered to teach me. The night after, I saw him in the nightclub, he was there with the Director Staff and a couple of other crew members. I went to dance with them (group dancing, not only with him) for a couple of songs and that was it. I was flattered by his comment but I'm not stupid enough to think I am the only one at whom he ever said such a good comment and I made it clear that I had a boyfriend at home and that it wouldn't go further than this dancing with other people.

MANY, MANY, MANY years ago a school mate of mine actually MARRIED her room steward! (This was after she graduated from Vassar, spent a year in the Peace Corps and got her Masters degree!) She sailed from Galvaston, Tx through the Panama Canal on her way to Ethiopia to see an old room mate. KeMing, the steward, was Chinese from Hong Kong, and he kept tryting to get her to come back there as he was leaving the ship.

Well, she ended up going back and leaving out a LOT of her story, they got married! I last SAW her when they were living in th Bronx, NY. But they did get divorced - after bringing his family to the US. She said he wanted the 'old' ways and hit her a few times. We finally lost track of each other but they had two beautiful children.

Adding another cruise happening I just thought of. On the old Dolpin ship, the OceanBreeze, our tablemate thought she was engaged to the assistant Maitre'D - after a few earlier cruises. She even made it to his cabin in the crew quarters a time or two but he usually came to her cabin. She tried to get him to leave the ship in Miami and set up job interviews for him. He kept saying he didn't want to leave the ship. Then on another Dolphin ship I learned he had a wife and two kids in Poland, was just having fun with her!

I've gotten some attention, but I'm middle-aged. I'm single, so they probably pay more attention just because I don't have a man attached. Nothing inappropriate, though.

My only complaint about my RCI Empress cruise was that SEVERAL crew members were hitting on my 16 yo DD. While I was with her. I wasn't happy!

We've never had that happen on a CCL cruise.

I've gotten some attention, but I'm middle-aged. I'm single, so they probably pay more attention just because I don't have a man attached. Nothing inappropriate, though.

My only complaint about my RCI Empress cruise was that SEVERAL crew members were hitting on my 16 yo DD. While I was with her. I wasn't happy!

We've never had that happen on a CCL cruise.

Did you see my post? that happened on Carnival Fascination and this was back in 2000 when Carnival was being sued by a passenger who claimed a crew member had raped her. I think every since then Carnival has been very strict about their crew members fratinizing with PAX.

This poor boy that was our assistant waiter did not start the little romance, my daughter's friend did. But the poor boy paid the price. I am almost positive he lost his job.

We had taken the girls on excursions with us every port this cruise but when we got to Martinique, which was our fourth port, where we had planned to go to the beach, the girls said they wanted to stay on ship and we were dumb enough to believe them and leave them.

One thing I have noticed on every cruise we have been on since, even the assistant waiters are closer to 30, this boy was 22, at least he said that was his age and he looked even younger.

Back when I was single and cruising with my mom, I met one of the waiters on the old Nordic Prince. It was a Bermuda cruise and we were docked there for several days. He was from Paris and soooooo cute! Ooh, la-la!! ;)

We would meet when he got off from the 2nd seating and go have a drink at one of the bars on Front St. We walked around and sat in the park. It was so much fun!

After the cruise, we kept in touch and I flew over to Paris for 2 weeks when he was on his vacation. A few weeks later, he flew over to Fla to spend another week with me. We had a grand time!

DD did exchange email addresses with the asst. waiter on that Empress cruise. He was a very young Jamaican guy (he was SO happy that we were stopping in MoBay - diverted from Ocho Rios). He wasn't the problem. It was several, older guys (pool deck servers, a couple of guys who worked in the Windjammer). They seemed oblivious to the fact that her mother - ME - was sitting there while they were asking her to meet them for a drink later!

I actually told one guy to "leave her alone! She's 16!!!" Thankfully, he did! She was doing nothing to encourage that behaviour! I probably should've reported him. It didn't occur to me at the time!

She's now 21 and I have to confess, I'm a little worried now that I can no longer demand that she stick with me every second. She's a good girl, but it's so easy to get caught up in the romance of a cruise, with handsome, foreign guys around!

Heck, I might not mind being caught up in a little onboard romance, myself. Especially at my age! :p

Archived