LIVE from the STAR (Aegean/Egyptian) Nov 21-Dec 3

Casshew

Thanks to everyone for this live thread. I really enjoyed it . Hope everyone will post thier reviews when they get home and rested.

Kim

Good point! A Live From is never done until all the reviews are posted! Hopefully there will be some more.

Hello All.

Just got home to...what else...snow and a lot of it. We actually had to shovel out the end of our driveway so we could get in...what a welcome home huh?? But the kitties missed us ;)

We're exhausted, up since 4:00 am Rome time, 10:00 pm Cambridge time, but after hearing there was a Live From thread I wanted to read it even if it isn't Live right now. Dut to the numerous requests, I am going to try to post my review tomorrow. It was beyond amazing.

Toto, sorry we didn't get to say good bye at Frankfurt, we were at the back of the plane and I mean at the VERY back. By the time we finally got off we had to hustle to make our plane.

Finally home after a very very long day.

I am sure some are either still on their way home or just totally wipped from all the flights. Getting up at that 'crack of stupid' (4:00 AM) was by far the least fun of the entire cruise, but thankfully, I got a bit of sleep on the flights. I have to admit, Lufthansa was #1 in food and service so it made it a bit more tolerable on a 10 hour flight.

What a great two weeks it has been. It even ended on a great note when the Hilton upgraded us for our final night's stay in Rome to a suite at the hotel. After being on the ship, even in a mini suite, it was like having space to spread out a bit. And the second bathroom it provided didn't hurt a thing. lol

Vicky, can't thank you enough for all the arrangements made for the Cairo overnite, it was beyond description from start to finish.

Anubi, we too were sorry we couldn't wait to say a proper good-bye in Frankfurt. The delays we had taking off from Rome made it so tight we had to run to our connection. :( Glad to hear you made yours also.

As soon as I get two weeks to put it together, there might be a revue from me. But there is no way I would be able to write it all down in only a few hours or days..............just way too much information............talk about a novel?? :)

To those I met, it was great. To those I did not get the chance to meet, hopefully on another ship some other time.

Yawn..............now it is time for rest and unpacking, downloading hundreds of pictures and reflecting on two wonderful weeks. BTW-It was almost 70*'s here today, so we came home to weather warmer than what we found in Rome, UNBELIEVABLE!

PS-Great news about Cass winning, I bet cha I know which machine she won on. GRIN!

My interior clock went off early, as usual with all these time changes and thought I would imput a bit of info about security in Egypt for those concerned before I tackle the unpacking process.

I must admit that not once did I or my DH feel unsafe in Egypt.

The security was amazing throughout the entire overnite trip.

The guards, both armed and unarmed, onboard our busses, and the security at each intersection stopping traffic on the road to Cairo was unsurpassed.

As we toured each stop, from the first pyramid to the last, the museum, and everything inbetween, our guards were like angels that were always watching. They seemed to be there around every corner just keeping an eye on all of us, at times like we were their lost sheep so amazed at what we were seeing, we often would forget for a second or two to play it a bit more cautious. Although it never really seemed like we needed it, it was that extra pair of eyes just keeping close tabs on us that had us feeling totally relaxed every minute of the tour. When you are very interested in something, you can wander off, and they seemed to be keeping the closest eye on those that would get slightly seperated from the larger groups.

After walking the pyramids, riding the camel, and what seemed miles of 'sand walking', we visited the state approved store. I realized the boots I was wearing were really dusty and quite nasty (yes, I stepped in camel poop and didn't realize it ;)). The children outside were shinning shoes for $1 and when I agreed to have my shoes shinned, our guard was right there watching the child every second. The guard kept reminding me it was $1 and I negotiated the price, offering $2 LOL. The guard laughed as I paid the young child $2 and a tootsie roll pop for his efforts. Gotta love those kids.

Just a hint. With children selling items throughout this trip, we found the perfect way to say "No" when we were not interested. After the first "no" that they wouldn't accept, we handed them a tootsie pop and they ran off. It was a great way to put a smile on their face, even though they didn't make a sale, and still come out ahead. :)

But for anyone that thinks this overnite might make them feel a little uneasy, rest assured, we felt even safer in Egypt then in any other port we visited. ABSOLUTELY no reason for concern whatsoever.

Greetings all!

Wow! What and adventure. So delighted to meet all of our fellow members of roll call and share this experience with you.

It was a trip of a lifetime!

I have posted our photos here:

Sharon & Bruce's Egyptian Adventure

It's a work in progress...keep checking back.;)

Excellent photos! :)

Boy you guys are glad you are all not still on the Star....

Today we arrived (Star Princess) in Genoa at 12:30am instead of our scheduled 7:00am because we are experiencing major problems with one of our bow trusters. We had divers in the water last night inspecting them and also the ships hull (which is a problem with every Grand Class ship Ficantieri has built for Princess). People from Ficantieri ship yards are here today trying to fix the problem before we sail at 7:00pm or we may be on a forced overnight in Genoa and skip Cannes tomorrow.

The Company is also not wanting to take any chances with any bad PR with this ship going to South America after the Explorer incident.

We also have been having malfunctions this afternoon with the Ship's Emergency Management System that has been telephoning cabins to tell them there is a fire and to go to your Muster station....imagine being woken up from your afternoon nap to that????:mad:

I'll keep you all posted on any changing events here on the Star today.

Boy you guys are glad you are all not still on the Star....

Today we arrived (Star Princess) in Genoa at 12:30am instead of our scheduled 7:00am because we are experiencing major problems with one of our bow trusters. We had divers in the water last night inspecting them and also the ships hull (which is a problem with every Grand Class ship Ficantieri has built for Princess). People from Ficantieri ship yards are here today trying to fix the problem before we sail at 7:00pm or we may be on a forced overnight in Genoa and skip Cannes tomorrow.

The Company is also not wanting to take any chances with any bad PR with this ship going to South America after the Explorer incident.

We also have been having malfunctions this afternoon with the Ship's Emergency Management System that has been telephoning cabins to tell them there is a fire and to go to your Muster station....imagine being woken up from your afternoon nap to that????:mad:

I'll keep you all posted on any changing events here on the Star today.

On no upgrade man, that isn't good news at all. I hope they are able to rectify the problems quickly. A shame that some will have to miss Cannes tomorrow, I am sure that doesn't make them happy at all. Let's hope things are better soon.

OMG, told there was a fire onboard by telephone? Not a good PR thing for the Star whatsoever. I can only imagine the mood onboard ship.

Take care and hopefully things will get better real soon.

Hugs!

Hi UpgradeMan

We really appreciate your updates. It looks pretty tenuous, with the trans-Atlantic coming up.

I wonder if you might want to start a new LIVE thread since you are STILL LIVE on the STAR, but this thread only says Nov 21-Dec 3?

Your updates are REALLY of interest to those of up with upcoming STAR cruises!

Hope things calm down. :)

Things have calmed down since 4:30pm this afternoon. The Captain come over the PA and announced to pax that the computer malfunction was just that a malfunction and that they should disregard any automated phone calls to there staterooms.

On no upgrade man, that isn't good news at all. I hope they are able to rectify the problems quickly. A shame that some will have to miss Cannes tomorrow, I am sure that doesn't make them happy at all. Let's hope things are better soon.

OMG, told there was a fire onboard by telephone? Not a good PR thing for the Star whatsoever. I can only imagine the mood onboard ship.

Take care and hopefully things will get better real soon.

Hugs!

Cannes is not cancelled for tomorrow and we did sail 30 minutes late tonight out of Genoa. It looks like they weer able to complete most of the work however they plan on completing the work before Madeira, most probably in Gibraltar where we have an 11:00pm sail time.

We're underway to Cannes with nary a mention of any delay. Everyone made it back to the ship ok, even the ones that took the train to Milan. I've come down with a very bad cold so today only visited Columbus house and the Aquarium. Both were interesting but I think I enjoyed my afternoon nap more. Am missing terribly all my new friends from the last cruise- the shipmates now are quite different. :eek:

Great News UpgradeMan...................so glad to hear they were able to repair the problem. Keep us posted on how the rest of the cruise goes and hopefully there won't be any more mishaps.

Further update today in Cannes....we have gone from Code Yellow to Code Red for a Noro Breakout onboard from breakfast to lunchtime!...wow that was fast. No salt and pepper shakers on the tables, no pepper mill, no sugar bowls no bread baskets. Everything has to be served to us now until the numbers come down. Even in the "trofth" they are serving everyone!

Further update today in Cannes....we have gone from Code Yellow to Code Red for a Noro Breakout onboard from breakfast to lunchtime!...wow that was fast. No salt and pepper shakers on the tables, no pepper mill, no sugar bowls no bread baskets. Everything has to be served to us now until the numbers come down. Even in the "trofth" they are serving everyone!

Do you have any idea when the first case was reported?

Gosh, a lot seems to be going wrong this sailing. Some old Sicilian lady must have given the ship the evil eye as we were passing through the Straight of Messina! LOL

Do you have any idea when the first case was reported?

Gosh, a lot seems to be going wrong this sailing. Some old Sicilian lady must have given the ship the evil eye as we were passing through the Straight of Messina! LOL

Apparently it has be going on since we left Civitavecchia and the numbers exploded overnight and this morning!....I don't even like the fact of having to touch this keyboard to post!...yuk.

I better give malocchio back to that Evil Lady in Messina!

Not quite "the cruise from hell" but getting up there real quick!:p

What can happen between now and Cadiz is anyone's guess!

Just let us know when it is time to send a care package to the ship for you. I guess I should have left my stash on your door step that last morning. Lysol, hand sanitizer, etc etc. It might have come in very handy. Maybe we had better include a few surgical masks in the care package also and maybe some rubber gloves to use in the Internet Cafe? ;)

Just let us know when it is time to send a care package to the ship for you. I guess I should have left my stash on your door step that last morning. Lysol, hand sanitizer, etc etc. It might have come in very handy. Maybe we had better include a few surgical masks in the care package also and maybe some rubber gloves to use in the Internet Cafe? ;)

and to make matters worse, this ship has a full inspection on turnaround day with USPH (United States Public Health) when it arrives in Fort Lauderdale so the ship can not afford for this outbreak to get worse or it will not pass inspection.

Have a helicopter drop over the ship tomorrow in Barcelona with those supplies!;)

Archived