binoculars: how many pairs do we need to take?

kGCAL

DH and I are taking our kids (9 and 12) to Alaska next summer. They are so thrilled that we may see the whales and bears in the wild. I was told by my sister who has been to Alaska cruise that binoculars are needed for cruise. I am wondering how many pairs we should take with us. Does it work if all of us share one pair?

DH and I are taking our kids (9 and 12) to Alaska next summer. They are so thrilled that we may see the whales and bears in the wild. I was told by my sister who has been to Alaska cruise that binoculars are needed for cruise. I am wondering how many pairs we should take with us. Does it work if all of us share one pair?

I don't know that I would invest in 4 pairs of binoculars, but 2 would probably make sense. It certainly should go a long way towards minimizing the "it's my turn" issues :D . I bought 2 pairs of Zen-Rays (Summit 10x42 and Vista 8x42) and think they're great. You'll see a lot of praise heaped on them in various threads and they're comparatively inexpensive.

Are you going interior Alaska to Denali Park??? This is the only place I would suggest a pair for everyone, at least 10 power. The otherwise 2 pair is a good idea. IF you plan on looking for marine wildlife- wide angle is NECESSARY in my opinion. A pair at least 10 power is another priority for me.

For your best viewing, tours are necessary. Any other viewing is pure chance and usually over in minutes- timing. :)

I suggest you might want to consider some wildlife tours for a more closer and extended look at wildlife.

I bring at least one pair for everyone, as well as a compact pair to carry with me at all times. Buy the best ones you can afford, as high quality optics mean you can make do with a lighter and smaller pair (for example, my new 8x32 zeiss binoculars are a fraction of the size and weight of my old 10x50's, but are sharper and brighter, and I can see greater detail through them, even though the power is lower). 10x are great if you have steady hands, otherwise you might like 8x. Agree that wide angle is important if you don't use binoculars frequently.

We have tried binocular sharing in the past, and it resulted in me carrying the bins all the time, then passing them off when there was something to see. I now have a high quality pair for everyone...so I don't have to give up mine when there is something good to see!

We have tried binocular sharing in the past, and it resulted in me carrying the bins all the time, then passing them off when there was something to see.

Haha.. that is just like me when I forgot to pack binoculars for everyone, end up being a binocular carrying mule.:D

You should bring at least one pair. That's better than none. Sharing a pair within a family is much easier than borrowing from other people. It also prevents spreading eye infections (Although I never caught one in the last few trips, lending my binoculars to many complete strangers, I was still nevous.) Two pairs will be better, unless kids want their own. This way, you don' have to fiddle with diopter adjustment when getting binoculars back in your hands. Mixing different powers is good idea, maybe a pair of 8x for wide angle, and another pair of 10x for high power. No matter what, make sure you look for waterproof feature (not weatherproof).

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestion. Yes, I will be planning some excursions once we decided on our itinerary, with wildlife watching as priority.

What's the difference between 8x32 and 8x42 mentioned here? Also, what's the "diopter"? Is that a type of binocular as well?

An 8x42 has a larger front lens. All things being equal, they will gather more light and have a brighter image.

Diopter adjustment lets you adjust the lens so that each focuses slightly differently. This is useful if you do not wear glasses and your vision is not the same in each eye. Each user will probably have a slightly different diopter adjustment. The lenses are marked so that if someone changes your diopter adjustment, it is easy to quickly adjust it back.

BTW - call it being selfish but I would never share my binocs w strangers. It is not a health issue. I just want to have them ready if I need them.

DON

Archived