Home from Oosterdam 11/24-12/01/97

san diego sue

What can I say except this was a truly fabulous trip. Our 4th on Holland America but first on Oosterdam. We cruise regularly on many cruise lines.

Got on ship with ease even though two Holland America ships in port. San Diego is a very small port so two ships can be a crowd. Checked in around noon. Although there was a line, went very quickly and was on board by 12;30.

Thank you Lisa for capturing our wave. This was a truly a great way to start our cruise. There were 11 of us waving. Thank you also to the gentleman who actually took that fabulous shot of us at The Embarcadero. That was a nice surprise when I saw it . I believe his name is Tom.

The ship felt very familiar as we were on The Zuiderdam in May. The exact same layout.

I won't do a long review as this wonderful ship has been covered before. The Captain is Olav Van Der Waard. He was very friendly and visable. The Hotel Manager Douglas Hernandez was always available as well. He was at our Cruise Critic get together and we got some special invitations from him to cocktail parties.Cruise Director David Martin (it was his first week on Oosterdam) did a fantastic job. You would have thought he was on this ship forever,. His cruise staff mingled and also got to know us all.

Got to meet the famous Hunky Dory. He really does remember our names once we tell him. Don't know how he does it. Not only he remembers our names but also who we are traveling with. He is very respected on the ship by all the staff. He is included in the question and answer meeting with the Captain, Hotel Manager etc.

Although we had a efficient waiter (Gede- pronounced gedday), he had five tables to wait on so really didn't have much bonding time with him. His assistant was always in the kitchen picking up the food orders. I don't remember waiters having so many tables. Head waiter said Gede had 24 people at our sitting.

Ate dinner in Pinnacle Grill. Waiter confused our orders and instead of switching the meals, took them away and we had to wait for new meals(two of the 4 of us). Fillets were not as good as in the Dining Room.

We were offered another dining experience at the Pinnacle and we chose to have lunch there instead. It was a fabulous meal. Would do lunch again but would pass on the dinners. At $30.00 per person, the experience was not worth it. Lunch was more enjoyable at only 15.00(which was free to us)

The entertainment on Board was about the best we have experienced.

Went to every show.

The ship was very clean. Our Veranda Cabin was perfect.

This is getting lengthy for not doing a review. Getting off the ship was very easy and living in San Diego, were home by 10:00 am.Wish we were getting back on the ship soon.

Regards,

Gloria:D:D

Gloria, thanks so much for your review. Now I am even more excited to be back on the Oosterdam in just 2 weeks from right now:D

I wonder if by chance Gede is the same Gede that was our Dining Room Server on the Noordam in June. When we return in September we had looked for him only to find out he went home. That would be great if he is there. Also I wonder how much longer Hunkey Dory will be on board. In all our HAL cruising we have yet to meet the Famous Hunkey Dory so hoping to get to do so with this next cruise.

I am glad to hear everything went so wonderfully.

Glad you had a wonderful cruise.

What do they serve in the Pinnacle for lunch?

I am not Gloria but this is the menu that is offered at lunch in the Pinnacle.:)

Starters:

1)Grilled Prawn Bruschetta with a primavera salsa - aged asiago cheese and balsamic fusion

2)Mediterranean antipasto plate - pesto virgin olive oil

3)Scallops creme brulee - caramelized parmesean wafer

4)Northwest five onion soup - tomato shallot soubise

5)Chilled carrot and ginger soup - creme faiche and fried sage

6)Chiffanade of greens and tomato tower salad - Italian vinaigritte

Entrees:

1)Pacific rim beef salad - mesclun leaves, mangoes and lotus fruit

2)Alaskan halibut fillet sandwich - sour dough bread, cilantro relish and cucumber potato salad

3)Crab and shrimp cake - exotic fruit chutney, lime Thai curry sauce and orange rice with pine nuts

4)The Pinnacle burger - apple smoked bacon, cheddar cheese and bistro style shoestring potatoes. This dish can be served with a low carb bun and without the potatoes.

5)Sterling silver beef tenderloin with Oregon blue cheese crust - grilled asparagus and scalloped potatoes

6)Penne with grilled chicken breast, lemon basil sauce, sun dried tomatoes and arugula

7)Vegetarian couscous - grilled vegetables and fried mint leaves and harissa

Desserts:

1)Fresh strawberries with raspberry sorbet - sugar dough gaufrette

2)Chocolate brownie decadence - an explosion of chocolate

3)Orange and lime panna cotta

4)Ice creams and sorbets - ask for the day's selections

5)Fruit plate

Hi Lisa,

Hunky Dory is in the Lido , he gives out the trays on the Starboard side. I asked him how much longer on the O and he said one year. He may have meant next year. I know they are usually on for 11 months.

On the port side the greeter with trays is Agus. He also has a great memory for names. This is his first contract with Holland America.

Gede that was our waiter, is a very slender tall gentleman. Very quiet but nice.

To answer the question from someone that asked what is served in the Pinnacle at lunch. I had Penne Chicken dish. My husband had a hallibut sandwich. Can't remember the exact menu. There is soup (onion - creamed, served nice and hot).Choice of salads,starters, great desserts. Everything served very eligantly.

Regards,

Gloria:D

To Tom,

The ship actually docked in Puerto Vallarta at6:32am. Since there are no announcements in the cabins, don't know how early people were off.

We have been to all of the ports many times so didn't sign up for any ships tours.

This time in Mazatlan when we got off booked a private tour in a van. There were four of us and we found four others to join us. Cost was only 15.00 a person for three hours. Did the same in Puerto Vallarta. They wanted 25.00 per person but we only had 5 people. Finally settled with the driver for 20.00 per person. He did say they are unionized and couldn't cut prices.

This is definetly the way to go . We saved money and the private tours went wherever the buses went but additional areas with very narrow streets that only vans or SUV would fit. When we went to Gringo Gulch,(in Puerto Vallarta) we were able to drive right up to Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton's love nest Casa Kimberly. We got out and took photos. The two houses look very old now.We really enjoyed the private tours. In Mazatlan we asked the driver to take us to the big market in the old section where all the locals shopped. It was a huge indoor market.

In Puerta Vallarta none of us wanted to shop so the tour was geared to all of our wants. We were interested in seeing the large resorts, the spectacular views, how the people lived, and not to be missed,the Tequilla Factory, with the best tasting tequilla I ever tasted . My favorite was the Almond flavored.I wish I was boarding the Oosterdam again soon.

Regards,

Thank you so much for your timely review of the Oosterdam. My wife and I will be on our first Holland America cruise this coming saturday aboard the Oosterdam. I have one question if you please. Was the ship decorated for Christmas? Thanks again for your comments. David

We were on the 11/24 to 12/1 cruise on the Oosterdam too. On a scale of 1 to 10, it was an 11. Food was outstanding, entertainment was world class, especially Joel Mason, and the service was unbelievable. Ship was spotless as well. It was our 9th cruise and the best so far. Can't wait for the next one.

Hi Golfette,

Weather in Mexico was perfect. No rain.Last day at sea we had some rain but that was because it was pouring in San Diego.

Puerto Vallarta is usually the warmest and very humid. This time it was not as humid and the weather was possibly in the 80's. All the ports were beach weather.

Hi IAMIRISH,

I would love you to email me the photo you took of the wave. My email address is LSherman@san.rr.com

Regards,

Gloria,

Could you tell me if they still have a designated coffee bar for those of us addicted to lattes and cappucinos? If so, do you know the charge? Also, how about at dinner--can we get a cappucino--and do they charge for it?

Are there plenty of activities offered on the sea days? How about bridge for those of us who play?

We are going February 9 and are looking forward to it because of the positive nature of almost all of the posts.

Thanks,

Mom C

To MomC,

Yes there is a designated coffee bar. They serve coffee similiar to Starbucks(We asked the staff at the bar but never did we buy any. don't know the cost). It is located across from the Pinnacle Grill Restaurant. They also have desserts. It is a nice cafe, a quiet place to read or view the ocean.

At dinner in the Vista Restaurant you can have a cappucino (regular or decaf)

at no charge.

To Mom C again,

forgot to answer about sea days.

There are things going on all day on sea days, the days seemed to have flown by. The first sea day was port talks, shopping talks etc, cruise critic party,.

There were talks with the captain, officers, Hotel manager. There was a galley tour, a meet the entertainers and back stage tour. I did see people playing cards (we don't so don't know if it was bridge).There was the usual wine tasting, martini tasting, fun and games with the cruise staff, and of course bingo.Also there was a movie each day. I only had time for one movie "Hairspray". I like to catch up with my reading so I did that when I could.

We were invited to several private parties.There was trivia every day,

You won't be bored.

Regards,

Gloria

s.d.s./ jer - Nice meeting everyone at the wave etc. Our first HAL cruise was GREAT!

Note to Laffnvegas: Wasn't able to take care of your room, when we checked in we had been upgraded to rm. 7051 a couple of doors away from the Neptune.......at no charge! Hope you get as lucky.

Note to Laffnvegas: Wasn't able to take care of your room, when we checked in we had been upgraded to rm. 7051 a couple of doors away from the Neptune.......at no charge! Hope you get as lucky.

Congratulations that is fantastic:) I will keep my fingers crossed that we have the same luck:D Maybe that SY cabin gives out good vibes for upgrades;)

Archived