Balcony being viewed by ships cameras?

bearswife

I know that the ships camera's are all over the place, however, I now hear that they can see you on you private balcony. Is this true? I guess its not that private but it is your own for the week. Are they able to see you? Anyone know? I go out in my pj's etc, I don't want to be watched lol....not a pretty site:D

I have never heard of nor seen a balcony camera. But I'm not posotive. That would be kind of wrong though.

Yes, I agree. However, with all the stories about flicking cigarettes overboard I might wonder? Maybe other reasons but I would be unfordable.

I can't figure out where they would put the BalconyVision camera where you would not see it. I also have a hard time believing the cruise line would spend the money for such cameras plus the monitors, wiring/transmitters, plus the salaries of people to watch them.

Paul

I just want to know if its true or not. Anyone know????:confused:

NO
it is not true. Another urban legend started by someone who has nothing better to do. There is no place to place a camera that would be directed at a balcony.

Believe only half of what you see and nothing of what you hear.

NO
it is not true. Another urban legend started by someone who has nothing better to do. There is no place to place a camera that would be directed at a balcony.

Believe only half of what you see and nothing of what you hear.

Thank you. I was upset hearing that. Have a great cruise. P.s. I hope you are correct lol.....thanks again!

They are NOT watching your balcony with cameras--but, your neighbor can certainly "peek" around the divider and see you! Don't do anything out there you don't want someone to see!

And if they can't see you, they can definitely hear you.

DON

They are NOT watching your balcony with cameras--but, your neighbor can certainly "peek" around the divider and see you! Don't do anything out there you don't want someone to see!

Darn, does this mean i shouldnt get "busy" on my Balcony? :eek:

This reminds me of a discussion on the Disney boards a while back when we stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge, where they have wild animals roaming the grounds. The balconies overlook the savannah in the U-shaped building. Reports were there were cameras on the buildings aimed at the balconies to monitor anybody tossing food or debris that could injure the animals. The advice was "close your drapes" if you planned on doing anything you would not want some security guard to see. Now that's a security camera to worry about!

NO it is not true. Another urban legend started by someone who has nothing better to do. There is no place to place a camera that would be directed at a balcony.

Actually, I'll disagree with this. Now, cameras aren't pointed at individual balconies, and quite frankly, I doubt they could make much detail out on what's going on on the balconies, but at least some of the balconies can indeed be at least partially seen by security cameras. (I've only ever had aft balconies, and I don't think on Princess' Grand class ships the aft cabins have any way to be viewed by cameras, but I *think* the side ones are under observation. However, ships with an aft that slants in as you go up certain can have balconies that are partially observed by cameras (with Princess, I know for a fact that the R-class ships have them, wouldn't surprise me if the Sun class ships do too). Standing on my balcony on the aft of the Royal Princess I could look up the back of the ship and see a camera that clearly would be able to observe where I was standing.

(And of course, side balconies can also be observed from the bridge wings, although the farther back you are the less that would be able to be made out.)

I know that the ships camera's are all over the place, however, I now hear that they can see you on you private balcony. Is this true? I guess its not that private but it is your own for the week. Are they able to see you? Anyone know? I go out in my pj's etc, I don't want to be watched lol....not a pretty site:D

.....you know those signs on trucks that say if you can't see my mirrors.....I can't see you.....;)

well......if you can see the bridge......they can see you....and I would assume there are security cameras (for fire and security) that are not "advertized".....:)

Cameras on YOUR ship aren't the only ones to consider. If you are in port with a Crystal ship, they have WONDERFUL bridge cams, forward, port and starboard. Ships with bridge cams docked behind your ship might see your aft balcony. Also, there are some port cams that can get a good view of your balcony, some are controllable and can be zoomed. they also move around the Panama Canal Miraflores cam, and can get pretty good balcony views. EM

Why would anyone have a presumption of complete privacy on a balcony. Hey.... you are outside.

• Like 1

Now I am the one who is worried :) - I never thought of the corner balconies and the balconies that can see the bridge - like we did on our last cruise.

Guess I better watch out what I am doing on my balcony. No more sun bathing :o for me.

Nothing wrong with sun bathing. Now, if it is in the nude...:eek: then some comments may be said up at the bridge.:D

I don't know but I have seen posts of people who had seen their neghbors making whoopee, you know like the balcony below them etc.

I certainly would do nothing I wanted to be private on a balcony.

I do know some people do not care if they are seen.

On my last cruise, we had a clear view of the bridge, so they of course had a clear view of us. I wasn't too worried about it, as i wasn't going to be doing any nude sunbathing in Alaska...

even if there are cameras, they would prob'ly be ALL BALCONIES and even if there was a person monitoring, holy crap, that's a lot to keep track of!!!

so I doubt it, but even if they did it, I wouldn't spend any time worrying about it as I doubt anyone would be zeroing in on my boring activities.

Eh, I figure that anybody monitoring balcony cameras has seen it all before and will see it again. Until you start seeing the videos on YouTube, I wouldn't worry about it. :)

I guess that depends on the person. I don't care if they have "seen it all"-I still do not want them to see me-so no I will not stand around nude or have sex on my balcony- and as far as youtube-if a person is stupid enough to expose themselves then they should not complain it was posted on youtube. They put themselves in that situation.

Only if a person was filmed by hidden camera and they had no knowlege would they have a right to complain.