Let's have some fun!

Dutchman

Would you help rebuild Half Moon Cay?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Would you help rebuild Half Moon Cay?

• I would go in a heart beat, I love HMC?
    • I would go if they compensated me somehow?
    • Probably not, but willing to consider it?
    • No way, its' Hals property, so they can fix it?

I would volunteer to go for a couple weeks, as long as HAL would at least feed us and fix a place for us to shower and sleep.. I've slept in tents plenty, so that would be okay with me.. I don't mind working 12 hr days either.. Just like to see the place up and running again... Bombero. :)

I'm sure HAL has insurance that will cover a good chunck of the rebuilding costs. Even if they don't the native population will work for dirt cheap, just got to get enough of them and give this place back to paradise before our scheduled visit in December! My main concern is how badly the trees and vegetation were hit. The island will not be the same if it is barren of trees. And hopefully that beautiful beach was not erroded away.

I'd go in a heart beat. As an old construction guy, It would be a pleasure....but I'd probably throw half the Bahamian help into the sea before it was finished. Thre's a good chance they will take a year to do what could be done in a month. Just my humble opinion.....I like the Bahamians. It's just I'm a little impatient with their work ethic sometimes.

The island will not be the same if it is barren of trees. And hopefully that beautiful beach was not erroded away.
That's the 64-thousand-dollar question now, IMO. I doubt the beach is eroded away ... but these hurricanes are known for rearranging shorelines where they hit. There's likely lots of debris along the shallows just off-shore.

I'd go in a heart beat. As an old construction guy, It would be a pleasure....but I'd probably throw half the Bahamian help into the sea before it was finished. Thre's a good chance they will take a year to do what could be done in a month. Just my humble opinion.....I like the Bahamians. It's just I'm a little impatient with their work ethic sometimes.

Are you talking about the same Bahamians who keep the island so clean and nice for us? The same Bahamians who clean up the beach after a ship is there, the same Bahamians who repair and maintain all the HMC facilities so they are always in A+ shape for HAL's guests? Please don't be so 'impatient' that you throw those Bahamians into the sea. :o

Peaches!!! Point Well Taken......I can't wait to get back. Scheduled to be there on Novebmer 27 on the Volendam. I've got my fingers crossed that they can whip it back into shape ASAP. Take care. DFD

Would we be able to rebuild HMC the way we would like it, rather than the way HAL planned it? :D :D

In other words, can we skip the new Signature of Excellence Wave Runner park and aqua park improvements and build a giant Swiss Family Robinson treehouse instead? And can we have lots and lots of shaded hammocks on the beach? And can we replace the barbecued hot dog and hamburger lunch area with a nice pig roasting pit? And can we replace the boring old tender dock with a nice dock, complete with dancing wahinis bearing welcome cocktails, a tall dark and handsome white suit-clad host saying "Smiles, everyone!", and a very elevation-challenged butler muttering "Zee- dam! Zee-dam!" ?

Sorry, I seem to have nodded off and gone into old TV reruns there . . .

Can we skip the "nice pig roasting pit"? Is there such a thing as a "Nice one"? :) Yuk!!!

Our Tips would come from Seattle. Automatic tipping......a shipboard credit for life. Every cruise we book, we automatically get $150 pp per cruise. :)

Theses are great responces, keep them coming! I just knew this was going to be a fun topic. I like the ship being stationd off shore so we could go back at night! I like the getting of supplies from the nearby island stops, and just the thought of those sea days makes me want to to Ft Laurderdale and wait for the "Z" to return.

We need more ideas, who will be next?

Would we be able to rebuild HMC the way we would like it, rather than the way HAL planned it? :D :D

In other words, can we skip the new Signature of Excellence Wave Runner park and aqua park improvements and build a giant Swiss Family Robinson treehouse instead? And can we have lots and lots of shaded hammocks on the beach? And can we replace the barbecued hot dog and hamburger lunch area with a nice pig roasting pit? And can we replace the boring old tender dock with a nice dock, complete with dancing wahinis bearing welcome cocktails, a tall dark and handsome white suit-clad host saying "Smiles, everyone!", and a very elevation-challenged butler muttering "Zee- dam! Zee-dam!" ?

Sorry, I seem to have nodded off and gone into old TV reruns there . . .

WAKE UP YOUR SCARING ME !!!!! hehehehehe

I remember when I first heard that HAL had signed a lease for the island with the Bahamian Government. I was not too thrilled. When I finally saw the island a year later I was impressed. I only hoped that HAL wouldn't ruin it.

I had always thought that the "out island" experience was highly overrated. In the last few years I have been to the island many times. I can't imagine a cruise in the Caribbean that did not include a stop there.

So, I will go in a heartbeat to help clean it up. Food, showers and a bed would be very nice. In a few weeks I doubt that we would miss the cell phone or internet.

Archived