HAL - Preordering Gifts for Shipboard Delivery

HALFans

I guess I have two thoughts in starting this thread...

1) What do HAL Cruisers on CC think about the reduced offerings available for pre-purchase online? There seem to be a lot fewer choices than there were a month ago.

2) Have you had any problems (or pleasant surprises?) with the things you've pre-ordered once you've embarked on ship?

I'll start with my own two cents worth...

1) I was really wanting to order the Pinnacle Grill Wine Tasting package for our cruise in January on the Zaandam, but it's not available for purchase for our cruise. Bummer, as I'd read some very favorable reviews from CC'ers on that. Is it gone for all, or just for our cruise? Or is it by class of ship?

2) The -'2003' commemorative Chardonnay I ordered for our last cruise turned out to be 2005 vintage, and the bottle was printed rather than sandblasted. Still a very nice bottle, so not a big deal... but the message I sent with the wine was geared for 2003 so it came out pretty lame. :( The HAL website still shows 2003 as the only commemorative Chardonnay you can order.

2) Pre-ordered the coffee and mug set for Mom, to be delivered to her stateroom on boarding. Wasn't there. Fought with the front desk for 3 days before she got her card, and she never did get the mug. As it turns out, I ordered the card & mug, but paid for the card only (website problem)... but the card should still have been there.

I've learned my lesson, and will be taking a print-out of my pre-orders onboard this time! :)

About the Pinnacle wine tasting....I don't know if you only checked the printed form or not. However, if so, then try this....log onto the HAL website for gifts (create a user name and password if you haven't done so already) here:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/shop/onboardLogin.do;jsessionid=glIBtFeOJuQs0B7pyISVLYB

Check your own name, and click box "choose gifts". That should take you to the page "select gift category". Click on "wines and champagne". For my sailing, near the bottom, below the wine bottle packages, are options that read "Pinnacle Grill" - Shades of Northwest Red (regular wine flight of 4) = $15; Washington's Red Treasures (premium flight of 4) = $29; Washington's World Class whites (regular) = $12; Reigning Whites of Washington (premium) $17.

Apologies if you've already tried that...in that case, "never mind" :)

Because of the thread "Suite Amenities Package":

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=670647

I'm going to see about booking it. Because the price isn't specified, I have to find out not only how much, but if it's per person, or per cabin (there are 3 of us). Since this seems to be brand new, this could be "fun" :rolleyes: to book. I'll let you know!

Because of the thread "Suite Amenities Package":I'm going to see about booking it. Because the price isn't specified, I have to find out not only how much, but if it's per person, or per cabin (there are 3 of us). Since this seems to be brand new, this could be "fun" :rolleyes: to book. I'll let you know!

I spoke with Ship Services last night about this for our sailing...the price varies depending on what ship & for how long your cruise is. Also, the price is either for a 'single' or 'double' (for us the price was $399 for only one of us or $549 for a couple). He also said because this is new for them as well, he's going to do some research & email more information to me on Monday.

OP...on our last HAL cruise, my brother surprised us with all sorts of different gifts in our cabin. They were all in the cabin when we embarked.:)

We've never had any problem with pre-ordering as well, of course I always take a copy of my credit card statement to show that it's been paid for - but I've never needed to show it to anyone yet.

We've never had any problem with pre-ordering as well, of course I always take a copy of my credit card statement to show that it's been paid for - but I've never needed to show it to anyone yet.
You're lucky. Twice, I've had printed copies of e-mails directly from HAL with confirmation numbers for products pre-ordered as well as copies proving that my Visa account had already been charged, and had to show them at the Front Office (since pre-ordered items were missing, incomplete, not delivered on the correct day etc. etc.). They will NOT accept any printed documents you bring with you, nor will they (Front Office staff) accept your word - will NOT! The official word is, "We must check with Seattle." That's it - I waited for 3 days to finally receive delivery of most items. In follow-up conversations with HAL, I was told by a HAL rep that there are frequent disconnects between on-line orders to HAL and the ships. The representative encouraged me to phone in my orders in future. Just a word of advice to anyone who cares to heed it.

We had a problem 2 years ago with an on-line reservation for the Pinnacle Grill. As the last two poster have said, they will not accept any documentation you show them. We had to pay extra to eat together, and it took 6 weeks to get the extra charge refunded.

You're lucky. Twice, I've had printed copies of e-mails directly from HAL with confirmation numbers for products pre-ordered as well as copies proving that my Visa account had already been charged, and had to show them at the Front Office (since pre-ordered items were missing, incomplete, not delivered on the correct day etc. etc.). They will NOT accept any printed documents you bring with you, nor will they (Front Office staff) accept your word - will NOT! The official word is, "We must check with Seattle." That's it - I waited for 3 days to finally receive delivery of most items. In follow-up conversations with HAL, I was told by a HAL rep that there are frequent disconnects between on-line orders to HAL and the ships. The representative encouraged me to phone in my orders in future. Just a word of advice to anyone who cares to heed it.

Thanks for the heads-up, I appreciate it!

The number of posts about the breakdown in communication between the online order and the ship makes me unlikely to pre-order anything beyond a shore excursion.

Last thing I want to do when I am on vacation is to work out MIA stuff with a front desk.

We have already placed an order online for 3 bottles of spirits (liquor) for our Xmas Noordam cruise. Now you all have me worried.

Would we be able to order bottles of liquor onboard (for consumption in our cabin) for the same price as online?

Thanks

Sue

Would we be able to order bottles of liquor onboard (for consumption in our cabin) for the same price as online?

Yes, you can! :) You have the choice to order it from room service, or bring a bottle back when you leave the lounge.

Ahoy!

I've just used the online 'gift' ordering once mostly out of curiosity. Two things come to mind.

1. The flowers depicted on the internet site were not the one's delivered (e.g. bird of paradise arrangement became a vase full of daisies). Although I'm aware of seasonal availability of various flowers I thought the 'arrangement' wasn't really worth the $30-40.

2. I was shorted a pre-ordered booze card upon arrival onboard. Fortunately I had copies of email confirmations with me for 'gifts' and excursions so it took only a few moments at the front deck to clear it up.

With that said, I can say the HAL excursions I've reserved over the years since the internet service became available have been fine as was the renewel of vows ceremony.

In so far as PG reservations, I just make them the first day aboard as part of embarkation day 'chores'.

And as other postes have mentioned, the prices on the internet and on the ship are identical.

Have a Wonderful Cruise & Happy Holidays!

Bob:)

....In follow-up conversations with HAL, I was told by a HAL rep that there are frequent disconnects between on-line orders to HAL and the ships. The representative encouraged me to phone in my orders in future. Just a word of advice to anyone who cares to heed it.

Even the phone orders get screwed up sometimes. On a recent cruise I had ordered wine, strawberries, and flowers and didn't get the flowers. It took over a week and three trips to the desk to get the matter resolved. I was nice, they were nice, and it was quite civilized......but SLOW.

In my case, I would say that most of my pre-orders have been fine. I have decided, however, that I will never pre-order anything that I can purchase once onboard the ship (like soda or wine cards) simply because it's not worth the aggravation if they don't show up.

This is going to be interesting. I ordered 2 items online, and 2 by phone.

When I spoke with the Ship Services Department rep to order the last two, she did find my online order.

When I spoke with my HAL cruise consultant today, he saw only the two I placed by phone order directly with Ship Services.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out when we get onboard next month.

By the way, the Ships Services rep. did confirm that beverage cards, spirit packages, etc. are generallly available at a discount when purchased onboard - esp. the day of sailing. With that I mind, we'll definately never pre-order those, at least for ourselves!

Well after all the (mostly) negative posts about online ordering, I have just cancelled our order. Now I just have to hope they refund my payment, and secondly that I can order some regular brandy onboard. I notice that they do sell regular brandy by the glass on the bar menus, but interestingly they don't sell bottles online!

Whatever, I'm sure they'll have something I like. ;)

Sue

We preordered a liquor package for sailing date in early November 2007 and it arrived as expected. It was in our cabin when we got to the cabin at around 1:00 pm.

We called and I think there was either a better selection of liquor or by calling about preordering the liquor package was available as it was not posted on website or on printout.

This is one thing I very much appreciate about Holland America. The ability to purchase some alcohol for in-cabin consumption.

We called and I think there was either a better selection of liquor or by calling about preordering the liquor package was available as it was not posted on website or on printout.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying that there is a better selection when you preorder than there is when onboard? We're considering the 'Suite Elite Package'. It's not the only reason why, but it does include (4) bottles of liquor as a beverage set-up. I just don't want to get there and all that's available is Beefeater's and Jim Beam instead of Tanqueray and Jack Daniel's.:eek:

We have pre-ordered our liquor requests for our last two cruises and they have been in our cabin when we arrived. When you make your order I am sure they will tell if they have the brand you would like or not. We were easy we only wanted CANADIAN CLUB whisky and that was on the Statendam for NZ/Australia cruise.

• 1 month later...
This is going to be interesting. I ordered 2 items online, and 2 by phone.

We got back from our cruise last weekend and, there's good news!

All four items we ordered were in our stateroom when we opened the door - except our flower arrangement. The Front Desk said that the flowers were some of the last things loaded on board, and the arrangement would show up later that evening - which it did.

I feel a lot more comfortable about ordering gifts online in the future.

Archived