Solo Cruise on Zuiderdam Update

Richjoxyz

I am boarding the Zuiderdam tomorrow. I am cruising SOLO:eek: for the first time. I am 46 yo male and am looking forward to this adventure. Here is my first update:

Arrived FLL this morning after a five hour direct flight from Oakland. Grabbed my bags and caught a cab to the Yankee Trader. Was checked into a direct beach front view room by 8:15 am. I look right out at the beach and straight down to the pool. The room is nice. The furnishings are nice and in new condition, carpet looks new, bed is comfortable, and the bathroom…well…so/so. It is fine really, just could use a little updating. Not bad for $85 bucks on Priceline. I didn’t sleep much on the plane so I hit the sack upon arrival. Woke up about noon. Walked FL Beach…the weather is fine…a little breezy and partly cloudy, but plenty of sun. After walking a while I grabbed a cab and went to Total Wine near the Publix on 17th. This place is HUGE! Plan to hit the gym, maybe get some pool or beach time, have dinner, and get a good nights sleep in anticipation of boarding the Zuiderdam tomorrow!

you will love solo cruising. I am very happily married, but sometimes solo cruise. My first solo cruise and HAL cruise was in 2004(Canada/NE). I loved it so much that I came home and booked another HAL cruise for 2 months later (Alaska). I've had a few more solo cruises since then and leave on another one in Feb. I really hope you enjoy it as much as I do :). HAL typically has a few solo get togethers so keep your eye out in the daily program.

Thanks for checking in.

Marie

Rich,

Enjoy your solo cruise. I've done 4 solos on HAL and loved every one of them. On my last couple of cruises, there was a singles/solos lunch table in the dining room on port days. Look for it in the daily activities schedule.

We assembled in one of the lounges and one of the cruise director's staff got us a large table in the dining room. A nice way to meet people, as well as have a relaxing lunch with some folks to converse with.

Roz

I think that depends on why he is travelling solo. If it's to "get lucky," then maybe HAL isn't the best cruise line. But for some of us, HAL is great for solo travel for the very reason that we can be left alone if he want, or we can meet people if we want.

I think that depends on why he is travelling solo. If it's to "get lucky," then maybe HAL isn't the best cruise line. But for some of us, HAL is great for solo travel for the very reason that we can be left alone if he want, or we can meet people if we want.

Absolutely! I did a solo cruise 4-5 years ago, on the Zuiderdam. I'd cruised the ship a couple times before, either with my son or a girlfriend. That solo cruise was a great time - and no, I didn't "meet" any men....I wasn't there for that.

Shortly after that cruise, I met someone (on land, lol) and ended up in a relationship. Sadly, he didn't like cruising - that should have been a red flag! In any event, that relationship recently ended so I see another solo cruise in my near future! There's nothing like getting away from it all and just unwinding for a week, and with traditional dining you'll have built in dinner conversation. You don't have to be half of a couple to enjoy yourself on a cruise!

Archived