All things Jewel of the Seas!

We did the MM on Empress in October. We looked for it on Jewel amd never saw a hint of it. Serenade and Radiance have it, but Brilliance does not, and it appears Jewel doesn't either... It looks like it is only on certain ships.

Rick and Deirdra

Hey, Jewel fans!

Just got the Feb 08 edition of Conde Nast Traveler magazine... they have the results of their readers' poll on cruise ships.

In the Large Ship (1500+ passengers) category, our Jewel placed 5th! behind Celebrity Constellation, Disney Wonder, Celebrity Summit, and Celebrity Millenium. The QE2 was 26th.

Our entertainment list for the 1/26 Jewel 8 day is different--we are supposed to have the Beatles tribute--would much prefer that to the temptations tribute & will be disppointed if it has changed!

Have to look for our list & will post so we can compare...

This is what we recieved--I posted it awhile back on tis thread but postin ghere to compare with list a few posts back--I would rather have the Beatles tribute .but won't get too excited til we see it in the Compass

Although entertainment may be subject to

change, here is the current schedule for your sailing:

Revolution (Beatles Tribute Act)

Dan Wilson (Comedian)

Charles Bach (Magic/Illusions)

Soul Mystique - Gavin & Lydia (Magical Transformation & Dance)

Jackie Wood (Cocktail Pianist)

Elini Trio (Centrum Trio)

Production Shows: "City of Dreams" - "West End to Broadway" -

"Tango Buenos Aires"

This was the post I was comparing it to (I don't know how to copy another post & then add my comment--sorry)

The Lineup for the Jewel of the Seas, departing February 3, 2008, is below:

TRIBUTE TO THE TEMPTATIONS GROUP

STEVE THOMAS COMEDIAN

BILLY PRUDHOMME JUGGLER

CHARLES BACH MAGIC/ILLUSIONS

JACKIE WOOD COCKTAIL PIANIST

ELINI TRIO CENTRUM TRIO

PRODUCTION SHOWS: CITY OF DREAMS - WEST END TO BROADWAY - TANGO BUENOS AIRES

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

hcat

If you want to copy someones quote, click on the "quote" button in the bottom right of their message box. This will bring up a reply thread with their message. Add your message below that and submit reply.

Please note: You must keep the

that appears after their quote. You can erase in between if you don't want the entire quote to appear.

We are going on 6-day Western on Feb 17. I'm trying to decide which night to book Portofino's. Does anyone know which nights are the production shows? We might skip the show that night and do Portofino's then.

Thanks!

Dinner at Portofino's takes just as long as dinner in the dining room. If you book the same time your dinner is, you won't miss any of the shows.

We booked Chops at 8:15pm (Had the 8:30pm dinner time and 8:30 wasn't available.) We got out in time for the shows afterwards.

Kellye,

We also booked Chops at 8:15 on the second formal night, on the same cruise Steve was on. We chose that night figuring everyone would be in the main dining room for the lobster and shrimp. They were, and Chops was very quiet and pleasant.

Rick and Deirdra

Steve,

You had mentioned earlier that you flew SWA for your Jewel cruise. We haven't been on SWA for several years. At that time the boarding process was a complete jungle. I've heard some where that it has improved. Has it? Is it similar to other airlines?

Also, on Jewel, did SWA participate in the valet luggage program?

Thanks!

Rick and Deirdra

This is our first cruise, we are getting very excited. A few questions for you more seasoned cruisers:

1) We just bought our first house, (bad timing for a cruise) so as you can imagine, we are looking for a lot of fun and hoping to save some money. The good news is that neither one of us are big drinkers. We did splurge and get a balcony. Ports of Call are :

Key West

Cozumel

Costa Maya

Belize

Any ideas for inexpensive things to do? We're renting a jeep in Cozumel to get around the island.

2) I got my packet from Royal Carribbean that has my luggage tags, etc. Do I need to do anything else or can I just show up at the port on cruise day? We booked through Cruises Only, so guidance on these things has been lacking a bit.

3) We'll need a shuttle from the airport to the boat. DO I need to reserve this ahead of time with RCCI?

Any other tips/secrets?! We're all ears!

Steve,

You had mentioned earlier that you flew SWA for your Jewel cruise. We haven't been on SWA for several years. At that time the boarding process was a complete jungle. I've heard some where that it has improved. Has it? Is it similar to other airlines?

Also, on Jewel, did SWA participate in the valet luggage program?

Thanks!

Rick and Deirdra

If you can print your boarding pass early enough and get an A pass, it isn't that bad. You get a letter-number combo when you check in such as A35. At the gate you line up in order of your number A1 would be first and A60 would be last of the A group then it goes to B1 - B60, and then C's. I had an A both ways plus the trip back was only half full. I saw someone holding a SWA sign as we exited the building but we spent the rest of the day in Florida and flew out of Palm Beach at 6pm to avoid the FLL mess with 7 ships coming in at once. The air back to BWI was $49 each person (and non-stop.) This also saved us about $150 over FLL and got to stay in the warm weather the rest of the day. Sometimes it pays to shop around and look at alternative airports even if it means flying into one airport and out another.

Tarainga,

Go to RCCL.Com click Before you board scroll down to online check in. You can do all your paper work before you get to ship much easier. Also you can find answers to many of your questions at this site.

It is easy to get cab or van from airport to ship when you land.

We are doing the cruise 3-2-08 we are going to Playa Del Carmen instead of Costa Maya isn't your cruise also doing this? Costa Maya was damaged during storm I didn't think ships were going there yet.

The cave tubing in Belize is fun we did it last time we were there.

If you can print your boarding pass early enough and get an A pass, it isn't that bad. You get a letter-number combo when you check in such as A35. At the gate you line up in order of your number A1 would be first and A60 would be last of the A group then it goes to B1 - B60, and then C's. I had an A both ways plus the trip back was only half full. I saw someone holding a SWA sign as we exited the building but we spent the rest of the day in Florida and flew out of Palm Beach at 6pm to avoid the FLL mess with 7 ships coming in at once. The air back to BWI was $49 each person (and non-stop.) This also saved us about $150 over FLL and got to stay in the warm weather the rest of the day. Sometimes it pays to shop around and look at alternative airports even if it means flying into one airport and out another.

Steve, thanks for the SWA info.

Rick and Deirdra

We saw the Beatles tribute a few years ago (I think on Mariner). It was a really great show, we would love to see that again. HCat, please report back after your cruise!

Snowmouse, we went to the Beatles tribute on Jewel of the Seas and it was a FABulous production! It was on Day 2 at 9 pm & 10:45 pm which was also the 1st formal night. We had plenty of time for dinner in the main dining room & a quick run to the room to freshen up.

Hey, Jewel fans!

Just got the Feb 08 edition of Conde Nast Traveler magazine... they have the results of their readers' poll on cruise ships.

In the Large Ship (1500+ passengers) category, our Jewel placed 5th! behind Celebrity Constellation, Disney Wonder, Celebrity Summit, and Celebrity Millenium. The QE2 was 26th.

Thank you for the tidbit....She deserves it! She is truly stunning!

Taranga,

Booking excursions on your own will save SO much money.

Of course its at your own risk

We are doing our own booked cave tubing tour -but check out the other threads on Belize for additional info

We are getting our own personal tour at Playa Del Carmen (yeah we are not going to Costa Maya now). That was booked from edventure

Key West is an awesome town you don't necessarily have to have anything booked but find a ton to do around town.

We are doing our own parasailing and saved a lot of money checking out these threads. Keep reading...

We may see you aboard - I will be on the same cruise.

Four whitlocks,

Thanks for the info. Can you share w/ me the website for edventure (or how you booked your excusions?). Yes, I remeber getting a couple of notices from RCCL about changes to itinerary, one of them involved the island changing b/c of the hurricane and the other was about when we'd be in Belize, the day was switched.

We are looking forward to the cruise but it's so overwhelming...these boards are a plethera of information...which is both a blessing and a curse. LOL

We are going on 6-day Western on Feb 17. I'm trying to decide which night to book Portofino's. Does anyone know which nights are the production shows? We might skip the show that night and do Portofino's then.

Thanks!

The menu in the dining room is the least appealing on Friday night. :)

Thanks!

By the way, Kellye, I thought that the two production shows on this cruise were EXCELLENT, with outstanding costumes, scenery and polish. The singers were all excellent, and the dancers (with one exception), were excellent as well. The singers moved better than most of the singers I have seen on RC.

In other words, unless you are a production-show-hater, you'll be better off skipping the magic show if you want to eat at a time that conflicts with a show.