All things Jewel of the Seas!

Very important and profound question for all multiple-Jewel cruisers:

Chops or Portofino?

We are on the 6 day on SUNDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!

oops, lost my train of thought...............

If we only end up in a specialty restaurant once, ON THE JEWEL, is one better than the other? Some people have commented unfavorably about the Chops on some other ships. We have loved Chops on Enchantment and Portofino on Explorer and Voyager.

Personal recommendations based on your experiences, please.

:)

Chops or Portofino?

If we only end up in a specialty restaurant once, ON THE JEWEL, is one better than the other? Some people have commented unfavorably about the Chops on some other ships. We have loved Chops on Enchantment and Portofino on Explorer and Voyager.

We were on the 6 night cruise last week and went to Chops the night it left Cozumel. No complaints from me. :)

Chops or Portofino?

Portofino

Beef eaters can get an awesome filet there in addition to the other stuff. Desserts are also AMAZING!

Jane, who "almost sailed with Carol" first

We crossed the Atlantic on the Jewel (with the Royal Jewels - informal crazy CC collection of characters!) - October 30 2007 - November 11. CGTNormandie stole my thunder (you would woudn't you Ross) the Jewel is the MOST fantastic ship in the RCI fleet but IT IS A SECRET among those who enjoy the VERY BEST things of life.

Having just crossed the opposite direction on the QM2 it was interesting to compare the 2 crossings (just 5 days between cruises). Guess what? The Jewel was more fun and was fantastic in most respects. Now if you could move the English Pub (including the bangers and mash) from the QM2 and the baggage handling efficiency to RCI we would be closer to perfection. Suites on the QM2 were a major disappointment as was the service. Having said that we still would cross the Atlantic by ship anytime - proabably by QM2 as it is still running a scheduled service.

Andrea, our concierge on the Jewel, was wonderful - very hard working but gracious to all (even the few that were not quite so deserving) and although the Concierge Lounge is really too small there was an overflow evening setup in one of the smaller lounges. We also tended to overflow to the small sitting area outside the lounge - maybe a no-no but it worked very well. Enhanced continental breakfast and evening canapes were outstanding.

Premium dining - we would vote for Chops - pity the Explorer only has Portofino - in reality they are both excellent just different. Food and service quality is very good, well worth the few additional $$$$

If there was a downside it would be the Windjammer service - probably not enough staff up there to monitor needs and/or bar drinks - not a disaster just a wee bit slow at times - that seems to be a problem on every cruiseship on all lines. Rest of crew are great - Captain was quite young (maybe just us getting older!) but clearly the ship's company respect him and it shows in their attitude. Radiance class are our favourite RCI ships but we pick cruises by itinerary and then hope that RCI have a ship to meet the itinerary and the departure port.

Overall we cannot speak highly enough about the Jewel (only slightly more than the Radiance, Mariner, Voyager, Legend, Rhapsody, etc. etc.). We expected a TA to be a quiet relaxed time at sea - were we ever wrong - both ways across we were busy, busy, busy - dancing up a storm on the QM2 and doing a lot of crazy things on the Jewel - anyone done a poker crawl? If not, ask any of the Royal Jewels and you will learn a new way to meet a lot of fun people.

Cruising is one of life's pleasures and the Jewel is the jewel of cruiseships

I have a quick question, we are debating between the Jewel and Freedom. We've only been on the Voyager class ships and my DH really likes the promenade area. Will he be disappointed on the Jewel? Thanks for any info. Carol

When the Voyager Class was first introduced into the world, one of the "Professional Reviews" stated,

"If you cruise because you love the ocean, then this ship is not for you. You could be on her for a week and never even SEE the ocean."

Now this was stated and taken lightly and with a wink, but that's the main difference in the Voyager Class and the Radiance Class. The Jewel has GLASS/WINDOWS everywhere! If you cruise because you love the ocean (and that's me), then the Jewel IS for you.

Hope This Helps.

Dianancolin, would you please elaborate on the poker crawl? I have heard of a pub crawl and we are planning to do that on this next cruise. From what I understand, you go from bar to bar around the ship, giving out a card at each bar, and the one with the best hand at the end wins. The prizes range from everyone chipping in at the beginning a set amount, to silly little memoirs of the cruise. Is that the same? We certainly want to get this right!!:rolleyes:

Portofino

Beef eaters can get an awesome filet there in addition to the other stuff. Desserts are also AMAZING!

Jane, who "almost sailed with Carol" first

Thanks, Jane. I was leaning in this direction.......just wanted to be pushed. ;)

So, if we decide to go TWO nights, should we go to Portofino TWICE, or to each one once? ;)

Thanks, Jane. I was leaning in this direction.......just wanted to be pushed. ;)

So, if we decide to go TWO nights, should we go to Portofino TWICE, or to each one once? ;)

They are both good, but I would go to Chops over Portofino, based on 3 cruises on the Jewel with 3 meals at Portofino and 4 at Chops (I like to do extensive market research:D ).

I found that the service was just a scooch better at Chops and our meals were properly cooked. At Portofino we had great appetizers & desserts but the entrees were usually overcooked and dry. It's already a 2-hour meal, so sending something back and waiting for it to return would have dragged it out to the point of madness.

If Monica is working at Chops, ask to have her as your server - she is fabulous. And she likes red wine - we shared a couple of bottles with her.

They are both good, but I would go to Chops over Portofino, based on 3 cruises on the Jewel with 3 meals at Portofino and 4 at Chops (I like to do extensive market research:D ).

I found that the service was just a scooch better at Chops and our meals were properly cooked. At Portofino we had great appetizers & desserts but the entrees were usually overcooked and dry. It's already a 2-hour meal, so sending something back and waiting for it to return would have dragged it out to the point of madness.

If Monica is working at Chops, ask to have her as your server - she is fabulous. And she likes red wine - we shared a couple of bottles with her.

Thanks for doing all of that careful research for me, Jean! ;)

We were in 7118 and my Mom & Dad were in 8128

I think it was the same guy, he told us he was cleaning cabins on the other side of the atrium and may not see us leave and enter the cabin. He had no personality at all until the last 2 days of the cruise when tips were getting closer.

So, if we decide to go TWO nights, should we go to Portofino TWICE, or to each one once? ;)[/quote ]

It's settled.

I think you have to go to both for the sake of research :) !

Jane

Thanks to the OP for this thread!

I'll be on the same sailing as Merion Mom on Sunday. I love Serenade, so am sure I will love Jewel!!

A couple of questions - what night is the Portofino's Murder Mystery dinner on the 6 night? What night would you recommend as best for Chops? How was the lobster in the dining room?

Do the tenders at Playa Del Carmen take you to the ferry dock in Playa or to Calica?

Thanks in advance for any info!

I'll be on the same sailing as Merion Mom on Sunday. I love Serenade, so am sure I will love Jewel!!

A couple of questions - what night is the Portofino's Murder Mystery dinner on the 6 night? What night would you recommend as best for Chops? How was the lobster in the dining room?

Do the tenders at Playa Del Carmen take you to the ferry dock in Playa or to Calica?

We were on the 1/6 six night Jewel. Never saw the MM advertised.

We went to Chops on the second formal night. Everyone else was going to the dining room for the lobster and garlic shrimp dinner, so Chop's was very quiet with excellent service.

Tenders take you to the Ferry dock in Playa.

Rick and Deirdra

Thanks to all who wrote in about chosing the Jewel or a Voyager class. Sounds like the Jewel is a wonderful ship and we booked it today for 3/2-3/8. Thanks again. Carol

Congratulations -- you'll have an awesome cruise -- happy sailing.

Pumbaamd - thanks for the info! On Serenade this past fall, the Mystery Dinner was not advertised and was sold out before the end of the day that we boarded. Guess I'll make that reservation first and then make the Chops reservation. I didn't care for the lobster on Serenade, it was undercooked (YUCK).

I'm ready to head out tomorrow morning. Looks like the snow is going to hold off until I get out of Philadelphia!

Just got the entertainment line-up for my JOTS Cruise from my inquiry to C & A. Hope it helps somebody. (Does anybody have any comments on the entertainers?

Jane

The Lineup for the Jewel of the Seas, departing February 3, 2008, is below:

TRIBUTE TO THE TEMPTATIONS GROUP

STEVE THOMAS COMEDIAN

BILLY PRUDHOMME JUGGLER

CHARLES BACH MAGIC/ILLUSIONS

JACKIE WOOD COCKTAIL PIANIST

ELINI TRIO CENTRUM TRIO

PRODUCTION SHOWS: CITY OF DREAMS - WEST END TO BROADWAY - TANGO BUENOS AIRES

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

I did not see any info about the murder mystery on the 6 night Jewel we were on. Tenders at Playa Del Carmen take you same dock as the ferry.