Ladies Only

Any other Ladies have this problem? Any time any female in our party or family go on a cruise, no matter when we plan it, every one of us start menstruating within 48 hours of leaving the port of call. It throws every one of us off our schedule. It is eerie---even the females in our group who are unrelated to us and do not live in our household. In talking candidly with co-workers and other cruisers, it seems this is quite common--anyone else care to comment? What do you think causes this?

When I was in college, in my Pysc 101, we learned the importance of pherenomes. Cycles get synchronized when a group of females noses sniff out 1 of the groups coming in "season". I don't know if your group has been together long enough for this (48 hrs), the other factor is the stress. The Jewish women noted this during their confinement in the concentration camps in Germany. Stress made them stop menstruating. Excitment is a form of stress. Stress can start or stop a period.

Doesn't that bum you out? There's nothing worse than being on a long awaited vacation, and starting your period!!!!! Good luck to you! If any of you are on birth control pills, you can regulate the timing to avoid this during a vacation!!!!

Every cruise before menopause I did this. Didn't matter if I was one week or three from last. When I thought I was in the clear after 18 mo. (doc says after 12) Guess what happened on the next cruise:eek: , yep.

Just got off four cruises in a row without happing this time so hopping I'm in the clear:D

I guess I don't really understand the situation you are describing. Do you mean everyone starts even though it is not their regular time? :eek:

My situation is a bit different, I think. We usually plan big trips well over a year in advance. Then within a few months of the trip coming up, I realize it's going to be that time of month. ARGH! I've dealt with it at Disney World, Las Vegas, Ireland, you-name-it. :p

I finally got smart 3 years ago (before our first cruise) and talked with my OB/GYN about it. We usually do one big trip a year. While I don't normally take BC pills, my doctor gives me 3 months of sample packs before our trip to take to either regulate or skip a cycle. It has been WONDERFUL!!! But it does require some planning.

On a side note, I'm nearly 50 years old. I'm ready to stop dealing with this cr@p anytime now! :o :rolleyes: :p

So there IS an up side to hitting your 50's!!!!
Thanks for giving me hope. :D

Every cruise before menopause I did this. Didn't matter if I was one week or three from last. When I thought I was in the clear after 18 mo. (doc says after 12) Guess what happened on the next cruise:eek: , yep.
Thanks for bringing me down again! :p ;)

Well, that's certainly interesting. Three females in our family and that has never happened to us, though our cycles are fairly in synch throughout the year. But going on a cruise has never intiated spontaneous menstruation in our family, thank goodness.

It isn't just me?!?!

I get it every time I take a vacation near water.:p

It happened last three cruises, and looks like it will be 'visiting' again on my jan 4, 2008 cruise. I have tried starting the pill 3 to 4 months before, and that actually made things worse.

On the bright side, I will be able to eat whatever i want whenever i want. (For those horrible food cravings that come along with it):D

And at work, we are now on the same schedule, or within 4 to 5 days. Sorta Freaky.

Word of caution for those of us on the BCP. Delaying or skipping a cycle while on the pill will only work if you are on a MONOPHASIC pill - this means that every pill in the pack is the same strength....if you are on a TRIPHASIC pill - there are 3 levels of strength, and simply continuing the pills by starting a new pack would be a disaster, as the last pill you take in the old pack is much stronger than the first pill in your new pack - which equals guaranteed breakthrough bleeding!

I pretty much have this down to a science :) I was supposed to have visit from Aunt Flow on the second week of my B2B last February, and successfully delayed her for the entire week by continuing the same strength pills.

This year she is planning to visit on the first day of my B2B :eek: Figured this one out too - I will let her visit early by skipping the last 3 pills in the pack....so I am completely done by cruise time!!!!

Good Luck!!!!

Just got off four cruises in a row without happing this time so hopping I'm in the clear:D

It sure is hot on those ships though.

I guess one of the joys :rolleyes: of menopause is I no longer have to worry about that.

But I'm sure I'm not far from having to start packing Depends instead.

Me too. Getting up to go to the bathroom five times during the night is no fun either

But I'm sure I'm not far from having to start packing Depends instead.

OMG!!!!!!:eek: :eek: Too funny!!!!!

I manage a retirement residence....and typical geriatric incontinence usually starts around 80.....so you should be okay for a long time!!!!:p

OK, this doesn't help the OP, but doesn't anyone else that is regular use a calendar and plan these things out. I have always been within a day or two of 28 days, so for big vacations I always try to count these out and plan accordingly. Last year we vacationed with six couples, of course that was one of the perks of being the one to do the scheduling. It was amazing how the "best deals" happen to coincide with the "best time of month" (at leat for me!!)

Now with that being said, this is my first cruise and we never have scheduled a vacation over a year out. So we will just have to wait and see if my timing stays right on.

I have the same problem my husband jokes about it . As soon as I go on vacation it starts. I have been due for mine for over a week I leave for vacation Wednesday, I'm sure it will start then. I think it has to do with work stress. My stress goes away on vacation hence it shows up. I'll take Flow on vacation over work stress anyday.

Merry Christmas to all including Aunt Flow !

Any other Ladies have this problem? Any time any female in our party or family go on a cruise, no matter when we plan it, every one of us start menstruating within 48 hours of leaving the port of call. It throws every one of us off our schedule. It is eerie---even the females in our group who are unrelated to us and do not live in our household. In talking candidly with co-workers and other cruisers, it seems this is quite common--anyone else care to comment? What do you think causes this?

Please post your upcoming cruise so that I won't be on there with you! :p

Okay, you guys are starting to make me feel abnormal. My cycles are not affected by cruises, and my daughters' have not been affected either ( 13 and 17 year olds). Are we now going to be the new ABNORMAL? Lol! Or now, by the power of suggestion, our next cruise will be defined by pads and tampons? LOL!!!

Archived