Need insurance advice - quick!

mringenoldus

We leave in 9 days from Phoenix to San Juan. (So I am too late to take advantage of my Platinum status insurance)

My concern is the connection in Philadelphia and the recent run of bad weather.

I have found a lot of information on squaremouth.com regarding policies like CSA, TravelGuard etc.

What is hard for me to tell is which of the various types of weather-related "trip delay/missed connection" works best for us in case we have to catch up to th cruise in Aruba.

Some delay times are given as 12 hrs, 6 hours - and one says more than 3hours and less than 5 hours.

Is anyone expert enough in deciphering insurance language to know what might be the best choice?

Thanks! Maureen

Maureen - there is a guy that posts on this board with the name "iamtrustworthy" - I think he is associated with this website: http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/contact-us.shtml

He (Steve) seems to really know his stuff concerning differences between plans. I would give them a call in the morning. He sells many brands of insurance.

Have a great cruise!

Theresa

Hi Theresa!

I have gone to his website - but I need to give him a call and make sure I get the right coverage. I'm not much worried about the health insurance issues - mostly just the plane connection. The plane has been on time 86% for the past 2 months - so I have a fairly good chance of being OK. I just want to be sure.

I hope you and your mom are doing well. Have a great holiday season!!

Maureen, Make sure when you call that you ask to talk to Steve. He is so knowledgeable. If he's not there leave your number and ask to have him call you back. He always calls me back quickly, just let them know you don't have much time left. I always ask my questions to him and know that I'm getting an acurate answer. Good luck. Donna

Thanks, Donna.....that's very good advice!

I also found that our bank, USAA. (military) offers travel insurance. They only charge $65 for "post-departure" insurance. The only difference in that and a more comprehensive plan is that it doesn't pay cancellation prior to the day of depature.

I'm going to give both places a call tomorrow.

We leave in 9 days from Phoenix to San Juan. (So I am too late to take advantage of my Platinum status insurance)

My concern is the connection in Philadelphia and the recent run of bad weather.

I have found a lot of information on squaremouth.com regarding policies like CSA, TravelGuard etc.

What is hard for me to tell is which of the various types of weather-related "trip delay/missed connection" works best for us in case we have to catch up to the cruise in Aruba.

Some delay times are given as 12 hrs, 6 hours - and one says more than 3hours and less than 5 hours.

Is anyone expert enough in deciphering insurance language to know what might be the best choice?

Thanks! Maureen

Hi Maureen,

The bad weather coverage I think you need to be most concerned about is the travel delay coverage. That's what covers you in case the weather's bad enough to make you miss the ship's departure, but not bad enough that you can't get caught up at another port.

Travel Delay provides benefits to help you defray the cost of additional accommodations and traveling expenses that you might incur if your trip's departure is delayed for a covered reason.

For example, you'll be reimbursed up to the daily limit for meals and accommodations (to the policy maximum) if your departure is delayed for more than the number of hours required for a covered reason during your trip.

Some plans cover the additional traveling expenses under a separate section called "Missed Connection". You'd want to read the policy wording carefully since the phrase "Missed Connection" doesn't mean the same from company to company.

This is important: The airline has to provide written documentation that there was a delay on its part. You will need written proof of a carrier caused delay.

I hope this helps.

Hi Steve

Everyone said that you were the best person to speak to regarding trip insurance.

This AIG Protect Assist wording was confusing regarding the missed connection time ("3 to less than 5 hours)

Can you explain? Would this be a good plan to consider? I am also looking at the CSA Freestyle plan.

Coverage Definition

Travel Delay / Missed Connection

What is Travel Delay / Missed Connection? Travel Delay provides reimbursement for meals and accommodations when a trip is unexpectedly delayed. Missed Connection provides reimbursement in the event of a missed flight connection or for the additional costs to "catch up" to a cruise if the cause of delay is an accident or bad weather.

What am I covered for?

TRIP DELAY

The Insurer will reimburse up to $150 a day to the Maximum Limit shown on the Schedule of Benefits if the Insured’s Trip is delayed for more than 5 hours for Reasonable Additional Expenses until travel becomes possible. Incurred expenses must be accompanied by receipts. This benefit is payable for only one delay per Insured, per Trip. Trip Delay must be caused by reasons listed under Trip Cancellation & Interruption, in addition to: (a) carrier-caused delay; (b) lost or stolen passports, travel documents, or money; © quarantine; or (d) Natural Disaster that causes a complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure or Destination.

The Insured Must: Contact LiveTravel (1.800.826.8597) as soon as he/she knows his/her Trip is going to be delayed more than 5 hours. Failure to do so may affect coverage.

MISSED CONNECTION

The Insurer will reimburse this benefit up to the Maximum Limit shown on the Schedule of Benefits if Inclement Weather or Common Carrier causes cancellation or a delay of all regularly scheduled airline flights for three to less than five hours to your point of departure. You can collect up to $250, or up to $500 if the insurance was purchased within fifteen calendar days of initial Trip payment, for additional transportation costs to join the Trip (must be same class of original tickets purchased). Reasonable accommodations and meals (up to $150 per day), and/or the non-refundable, unused portion of the prepaid expenses as long as the expense is supported by a proof of purchase and is not reimbursable by another source. Common Carrier must certify the delay of the regularly scheduled airline flight.

Hi Steve

Everyone said that you were the best person to speak to regarding trip insurance.

This AIG Protect Assist wording was confusing regarding the missed connection time ("3 to less than 5 hours)

Can you explain? Would this be a good plan to consider? I am also looking at the CSA Freestyle plan.

Coverage Definition

Travel Delay / Missed Connection

What is Travel Delay / Missed Connection? Travel Delay provides reimbursement for meals and accommodations when a trip is unexpectedly delayed. Missed Connection provides reimbursement in the event of a missed flight connection or for the additional costs to "catch up" to a cruise if the cause of delay is an accident or bad weather.

What am I covered for?

TRIP DELAY

The Insurer will reimburse up to $150 a day to the Maximum Limit shown on the Schedule of Benefits if the Insured’s Trip is delayed for more than 5 hours for Reasonable Additional Expenses until travel becomes possible. Incurred expenses must be accompanied by receipts. This benefit is payable for only one delay per Insured, per Trip. Trip Delay must be caused by reasons listed under Trip Cancellation & Interruption, in addition to: (a) carrier-caused delay; (b) lost or stolen passports, travel documents, or money; © quarantine; or (d) Natural Disaster that causes a complete cessation of travel services at the point of departure or Destination.

The Insured Must: Contact LiveTravel (1.800.826.8597) as soon as he/she knows his/her Trip is going to be delayed more than 5 hours. Failure to do so may affect coverage.

MISSED CONNECTION

The Insurer will reimburse this benefit up to the Maximum Limit shown on the Schedule of Benefits if Inclement Weather or Common Carrier causes cancellation or a delay of all regularly scheduled airline flights for three to less than five hours to your point of departure. You can collect up to $250, or up to $500 if the insurance was purchased within fifteen calendar days of initial Trip payment, for additional transportation costs to join the Trip (must be same class of original tickets purchased). Reasonable accommodations and meals (up to $150 per day), and/or the non-refundable, unused portion of the prepaid expenses as long as the expense is supported by a proof of purchase and is not reimbursable by another source. Common Carrier must certify the delay of the regularly scheduled airline flight.

Hi Maureen,

I appreciate the kind words from everyone. Before I get more into this, I want to tell you I'm not trying to make this confusing, but this can really can be harder to grasp than other parts of trip insurance.

Unfortunately, the terms "missed connection", "travel delay" and "trip interruption" are often used interchangeably. Added to this, these coverages tend to overlap because in real life, there's often some other situation that's complicating it.

The most common of the these "other situations" is the delay that comes in waiting to get through airport security. We find that few people build in enough time, so they inadvertantly end up with some kind of delay along the line.

The reason the Travel Guard (AIG) Protect Assist policy is described as "Missed Connection: $250 (after 3-5 hours) and Travel Delay: $750 (after 5 hours)" is because if the delay's length is 3-5 hours long, it'll be covered under the "Missed Connection" portion. If it's over 5 hours it'll be covered under the "Travel Delay" portion.

I use both CSA & Travel Guard, but I prefer Travel Guard for its Bad Weather coverage since, imo, it has better wording in its trip interruption section. The reason trip interruption comes into play is because that can also reimburse you if you need to get caught up at the next port.

I hope this makes sense, but if not, I'm happy to answer other questions.

The best value around is STA travel. It is a student travel site, but you do not need to be a student. Their rates are very low and are based upon the length of the trip only - you will not be charged more based upon your age or cost of the tip. It does cover trip delays. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.statravel.com/cps/rde/xchg/us_division_web_live/hs.xsl/travelinsurance.htm

This link shows shat is covered.

http://www.statravel.com/cps/rde/xchg/us_division_web_live/hs.xsl/insurance.htm

The best value around is STA travel. It is a student travel site, but you do not need to be a student. Their rates are very low and are based upon the length of the trip only - you will not be charged more based upon your age or cost of the tip. It does cover trip delays. Here is a link to their site.

http://www.statravel.com/cps/rde/xchg/us_division_web_live/hs.xsl/travelinsurance.htm

This link shows shat is covered.

http://www.statravel.com/cps/rde/xchg/us_division_web_live/hs.xsl/insurance.htm

Well, I have to agree that this coverage is significantly cheaper than any other quotes I've received (less than half the price) - which makes me a bit wary. Has anyone ever had to file a claim with this company, and if so, what was your experience?

I've learned over the years that if something seems too good to be true it usually is, and $70 vs $239 is almost too good to be true! What's the catch?

Well, I have to agree that this coverage is significantly cheaper than any other quotes I've received (less than half the price) - which makes me a bit wary. Has anyone ever had to file a claim with this company, and if so, what was your experience?

I've learned over the years that if something seems too good to be true it usually is, and $70 vs $239 is almost too good to be true! What's the catch?

Do they cover trip delay/cancellation because of bad weather? I think I read they do not but not sure. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Do they cover trip delay/cancellation because of bad weather? I think I read they do not but not sure. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Hi Happy2cruise,

STA's plan is cheap because of what they don't cover. I don't find trip delay/cancellation because of bad weather.

Instead the DOC says:

"Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation

We will pay a Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation Benefit, up to the amount in the Schedule if you are prevented from taking your Covered Trip due to your, an Immediate Family Member’s, or Traveling Companion’s, Sickness, Injury, or death or Other Covered Events as defined, that occur(s) before departure on your Covered Trip. The Sickness or Injury must: a) commence while your coverage is in effect under the Plan; b) require the examination and treatment by a Physician at the time the Covered Trip is canceled; and c) in the written opinion of the treating Physician, be so disabling as to prevent you from taking your Covered Trip."

and:

"Trip Delay

If your Covered Trip is delayed for 12 hours or more, we will reimburse you, up to the amount shown in the Schedule for unused land and water travel arrangements, less any refund paid or payable and reasonable additional expenses incurred by you for hotel accommodations, meals, telephone calls and economy transportation to catch up to your Trip, or to return Home. We will not pay benefits for expenses incurred after travel becomes possible. Trip Delay must be caused by or result from: 1) Common Carrier delay; 2) loss or theft of your passport(s), travel documents or money; 3) natural disaster; 4) unannounced strike."

Here's the link to their Description of Coverages:

http://ww2.statravel.com/travel_insurance/STATravel_DofC_0107.pdf

I hope this helps.

Archived