Watch the measures on your Margaritas on the Gem!

colmil

We have just returned to England from the Trans-Atlantic on the GEM, we had a really terrific time, particularily at the highly contested Trivia three times daily, we made some wonderful friends, kindest regards to Suzie, from Cruise Critic.

We decided to take advantage of the 2-1 Margaritas at the Mexican bar, and sat at the bar when we ordered.

I watched the barman mixing our drinks, and noticed that, at the very best, he poured a single measure into the mixer and whizzed it up and presented it to the two of us.

I was amazed at this, and the restaurant manager passed by and asked if everything was OK. I asked him what measure should we have had in each drink and he said a 'jigger' in each.

I told him that the barman had done no such thing, the barman was extremely embarrassed to be caught out, the manager told another waitress to give us another measure each free-so he should!

Of course, this should not have happened in the first place, I commented on my card about this, but doubt if anything will be done, so a word to the wise, watch them!

We have just returned to England from the Trans-Atlantic on the GEM, we had a really terrific time, particularily at the highly contested Trivia three times daily, we made some wonderful friends, kindest regards to Suzie, from Cruise Critic.

We decided to take advantage of the 2-1 Margaritas at the Mexican bar, and sat at the bar when we ordered.

I watched the barman mixing our drinks, and noticed that, at the very best, he poured a single measure into the mixer and whizzed it up and presented it to the two of us.

I was amazed at this, and the restaurant manager passed by and asked if everything was OK. I asked him what measure should we have had in each drink and he said a 'jigger' in each.

I told him that the barman had done no such thing, the barman was extremely embarrassed to be caught out, the manager told another waitress to give us another measure each free-so he should!

Of course, this should not have happened in the first place, I commented on my card about this, but doubt if anything will be done, so a word to the wise, watch them!

that certainly wasn't the case with the martini clinic on the Sun. We could hardly walk afterwards. Of course it is pretty hard to water down a martini.

Nita

Ive been on several NCL cruises, and the one thing they have not been stingy with is the alcohol. I've been to the maragrita clinics, and boy oh boy, they made some mean drinks. They were supposed to service 4 drinks and they service 9 all for the bargain price of 15.00. I've also been to the martini clinics as well, and again, great drinks...........and again 9 instead of 4 for the 15.00 charge. You must have just hit the wrong day and the wrong bartender.

Haven't had that problem but thanks for the "tip";)

The pour of the bartender is definitely not monitored nor is it consistent. At Shakers Martini bar on the Pearl, I ordered a double Absolut straight up. He poured in two jiggers, then tipped the bottle and added probably another jiggers worth. Three olives and a cold martini glass made it perfect.

We arrive back on Sunday. :(

We had our Margaritas on the Gem up in Spinnakers with no problems. If anything, DW complains that they make them TOO strong. :D

Hopefully what you ran into was an isolated incident (and based on the manager's attitude it probably was) but thanks for the heads-up!

This is why (as I'm always telling DW) I only drink beer...;)

Tom & Eileen

I'm curious, if you saw the bartender "short" your drinks, why didn't you question him/her rather than wait for someone else to pass by? If he/she added the wrong booze or garnish would you not question this directly? Just wondering?

Perhaps it was a new barman (along with the new ship). Or possibly an honest mistake (but I doubt an experienced barman would do this by mistake).

Anyway, you got your drinks in the end.

I was on the same cruise and I think you have it right. There was one new barperson that poured the weakest drinks on the ship. Very careful measured pour not even filling the jigger:mad: Simple answer I just ordered my drinks at other bars. Overall the pours were very generous.

Went for tapas but walked down the stairs to the coffee bar to get my drink.

On the Pearl I found the Margarita clinic and other Margaritas I ordered to be rather weak. On the other hand though, the Martini clinic and Martini bar had wonderful Martini's and felt the effects afterwards.

On the pool deck I find that handing a buck to the waiter with your card when you order a drink tends to make them stronger :)

n reply to my previous post, the Bar Manager walked past us no more than thirty seconds after the drinks had been placed in front of us and that is when I queried the measures.

I doubt if I would have mentioned it to the bartender as, like most people, I would not wish to cause a scene, but I certainly would not have gone there again, and, despite the topping up of our drinks, we did not use that bar again.

Archived