Rain Poncho

Roxxy

I've never brought one, and never really needed one, but, they don't take up much room. Well until you try to fold them back up,:D Take one if you think that you'll need it. Most of the islands, it rains a little a day. We were in Grenada, at Grande Anse beach and we watched a rain cloud move from the Island right over the ship. We were in glorious sunshine. Take dollar store ones, so when you're packing to go home, you can through them in the garbage.

It rained the last time I was in St. Thomas. Most of the people stayed aboard the ship hoping it would slack up. It really was a rain shower and then the sun, then a rain shower and then the sun. I went out anyway and beat the crowd to the shops.

If in doubt, go to the $1 store. They usually have super light weight ponchos that don't take up any space for either $1 a piece or 2 for $1. They're light weight and inexpensive.

I've never brought one on a cruise, but do use them everytime we've traveled to Florida.

We just got off a cruise to the Southern Carib. and we were chasing and being chased by that tropical storm for a week. We bought a plastic pancho on the gangway for $3 and used it quite often. Especially on the golf course in Barbados. Came in very handy, then threw it away.

I'm another fan of the $1 store ponchos - I throw a couple in our luggage and most times don't need them. But...the two times we did they were very helpful. Rain in Costa Rica while touring a banana plantation and at SeaWorld with our grandsons. They kept us reasonably comfortable (at least dry) while others were dripping and miserable.

If in doubt, go to the $1 store. They usually have super light weight ponchos that don't take up any space for either $1 a piece or 2 for $1. They're light weight and inexpensive.

I've never brought one on a cruise, but do use them everytime we've traveled to Florida.

I'm another fan of the $1 store ponchos - I throw a couple in our luggage and most times don't need them. But...the two times we did they were very helpful. Rain in Costa Rica while touring a banana plantation and at SeaWorld with our grandsons. They kept us reasonably comfortable (at least dry) while others were dripping and miserable.

This is a great idea. They are pocket sized and do not take much luggage space

Funny you mention Costa Rica in this thread. One of my best friends is a retired weather-guesser and he says that predicting the weather there, as far as rain, is one of the more difficult things they do.

Wasted space or not - were you glad you brought them - or had you wished that you DID bring them?

Sorry for the dumb question - but trying to eliminate the 'extra's.

Buy the disaposable ones.

We used ours in Alaska and as we read a review of another crusier who used them-we knew to buy those disaposable ones at Walmart for 89 cents. (all the Alaska ports had them for sale but for $5.00! same exact brand) they were small, took almost no room, fit in our coat pockets and at the end of the cruise we tossed them.

Since then, I always put them in the pocket of our suitcases for just in case and yes-we have used them a couple of times in the caribbean. If rain was in the forecast we would just take them with us and use them if need be- then throw them away before returning home.

That's one of those things that is small enuf to take and be glad to have, fine if unused. Umbrellas have never worked well for me and getting poked by those in the hands of others is never a highlight. Carrying one for yourself is a hassle if you have parcels, but carrying one for 2 of you is just ... pointless!! One of you is getting wet or maybe half of each of you! at a young age I quit carrying umbrellas. of course, i'm relatively 'wash and wear' anyway ;)

ponchos actually COVER YOU so that your pants aren't wet, you can hold your belongings under the poncho, etc. Umbrellas, not so much. and in case of high winds, forget the umbrella, it ain't gonna make it!

Archived