Is NCL Crazy??? - Sticker shock for Gem Cruises

cruisewmn

I just returned from my second NCL cruise on the 12/14 Pearl in Courtyard Villa #14508. While we loved it, we were upset to find out how few of our fellow Courtyard level guests actually paid full fare for their cruise. It appeared that only two or three of the families did -- others were offered upsells. In fact, the family in the cabin next to us paid HALF as much as we did. I hate to think that I'm subsidizing other peoples' cruises.

Still, we enoyed our cruise enough that we decided to book a January 2009 sailing of the Gem out of New York. I just priced it out and am in total disbelief. None of the Courtyard Villas appear to be booked, yet NCL is asking for an unbelievable amount of money for these cabins. We paid about $10,500 for our Pearl suite. They're asking almost $16,000 for the same suite on the Gem. I expected a slight increase because the cruise is 10 days as opposed to 9 days, but not $5500!

I checked the Jewel cruises for the 9 day itinerary and they are still in the $10K range. Why is NCL charging such a premium for the Gem cruises? Do they really think they're going to find that many customers willing to pay $16K for a cruise? No way. As a result, they're going to have to fill the cabins with upsells.

Why doesn't NCL just charge a reasonable amount for their suites? It's not smart business. The courtyard guests become friends and talk about prices. People who pay full fare resent NCL for charging them such high prices and others such low ones. They're going to start losing their high end guests if they keep this up. My DH and I are now looking at other cruise lines. It's a shame because NCL offers a great product. They just need to overhaul their pricing.

This is not unique to NCL, ALL cruise lines offer varied pricing, it's supply and demand and what the market will bear.

The Gem is a brand new ship- so the rates will be high, at least at this point a year out.

If you really are interested in going, then keep track of pricing trends yourself. Compare pricing with several different cruise discounter agencies.

If you find a booking agent with no or low fees, it's no harm booking it, and then canceling.

Cruising out of NY in Jan, isn't my cup of tea. :) It's freezing for your first and last sea day. :)

If you find a booking agent with no or low fees, it's no harm booking it, and then canceling.

Actually, there is harm in booking a suite this far out, especially if you're not sure you're going, since NCL demands such high deposits for suites. I'm not giving them free use of such a HUGE chunk of change for that length of time, especially if I'm not sure I'll actually be going. But maybe that's just me... :rolleyes:

Actually, there is harm in booking a suite this far out, especially if you're not sure you're going, since NCL demands such high deposits for suites. I'm not giving them free use of such a HUGE chunk of change for that length of time, especially if I'm not sure I'll actually be going. But maybe that's just me... :rolleyes:

I have several Latitude open bookings, so my deposits are $150 for the cabin. ($250-100 credit they give you).

But, I don't worry about deposits. Interest is real low anyway. I'm sitting on a cruise that has a $900 deposit on it, probably will cancel. The amount is small to me. Just my opinion and just an option I wrote for consideration.

Any new ship will have higher prices. Now you know why I sail on them a year or two later (unless it is free, haha). I am looking at the Pearl next and for me, the prices are now affordable to my budget. As far as comparing costs of what others pay...I only did that once...never again. If I am happy with the price I pay when I pay it, then the deal is a good deal.

Coka

I have several Latitude open bookings, so my deposits are $150 for the cabin. ($250-100 credit they give you).

But, I don't worry about deposits. Interest is real low anyway. I'm sitting on a cruise that has a $900 deposit on it, probably will cancel. The amount is small to me. Just my opinion and just an option I wrote for consideration.

If your deposit is only $900 then you obviously are not booked in a CV.

Long store short, for A2/A3/A4/AA deposit amount is $1500pp at time of booking, and $2500pp for GV/A1. Also, cancellation penalties are assessed even if cancelling more than 90 days out ($250/$500pp), as opposed to other categories of cabins.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=IndivTermsConditions#gv

Did someone say they paid full price,

It is good idea to keep an eye on prices now for the cruises you may want to take in future years so you have a good idea what the "correct" prices are and when the discounted/reduced fares are done for those itineries/dates.

In my experience whatever price you pay someone else will have paid less.

I've never discussed how much I've paid for a cruise with anyone (other than DH of course:D ) - it's no one's business but ours. If I'm happy with the price I've paid then that's what matters most to me - not what someone else paid.

I certainly wouldn't ever turn down an upsell out of concern that someone may have paid more/less for their cabin than I did - let's be honest here, would anyone?

I believe the less I know about other's finances the happier I am - I know how much I'm willing to spend to sail in a particular cabin and don't exceed that.

I just returned from my second NCL cruise on the 12/14 Pearl in Courtyard Villa #14508. While we loved it, we were upset to find out how few of our fellow Courtyard level guests actually paid full fare for their cruise. It appeared that only two or three of the families did -- others were offered upsells. In fact, the family in the cabin next to us paid HALF as much as we did. I hate to think that I'm subsidizing other peoples' cruises.

This is not unique to cruise lines either - very few people on any plane will have paid exactly the same amount. Would you turn down a free upgrade on a flight just in case you upset the person you would be sitting next to?

I have never discussed how much I've paid for a cabin or a flight and I'm surprised that so many people were willing to.

Thanks for the responses. I must say, while I have never asked anyone what they paid for a cruise, it was a frequent topic of conversation in the Courtyard. Most guest loved the Courtyard experience, but didn't originally book their suites -- they were offered upsells and wondered how much the suites really cost. That's how the topic came up.

I like the Courtyard enough that regardless of what others are paying, I am willing to spend the same ballpark amount that I paid before. My problem is paying $5500 more (the Gem will be a year old next year --same as the Pearl was this year). I simply can't grasp a 50% price increase.

For the record, I don't have a problem with any guest who gets a great deal on a cruise -- good for them! My problem is not with the guest, it's with NCL. Why not charge a reasonable rate for the rooms instead of filling them by giving them away when they're not booked?

My experience with suites on other cruise lines is that because they are in limited supply, they tend to sell out. Prices are lowest when you book early and then rise significantly when inventory decreases (supply and demand). However, NCL charges such high rates that inventory does not decrease. Suite prices remain constant. They just don't sell them.

The reason NCL installed Courtyard Villas on their new ships is so they can charge higher prices for them. They will charge as high a fare they can get from the market.

If you desire cheaper fares, look at the Penthouse suites forward and aft on the ship. I expect they will remain below the fares NCL will wish to charge for the Villas.

An extra swiming pool with a retractable roof, and extra lounge chairs shouldn't come cheap.

As for the price differential, it's basic economics of supply and demand at work....

I have NEVER been offered an upsell, despite my Gold Latitudes status....I have only ever booked thru a regular travel agent or Discount sites...is this usual??? I have always found NCL to be more...???

Another one of the great mysteries of the universe. However, one thing does seem consistent. You are more likely to get an offer for an upsell if you book a desireable cabin. That way NCL gets the additional revenue for the upsell and can then make money on either selling or upselling your desireable room.

Sounds like a good argument for the Cruise rewards program offered on board....

IMHO, the biggest problem with the price variations and upsells is that NCL has sold the Courtyard as an "exclusive ship-within-a-ship", thereby commanding the prices for the privacy and alleged superior service from those who wish to pay for it.

This completely falls apart when those who originally choose to pay far, far less for base units are upgraded at cheap rates. Consequently, the area is no longer "exclusive" or "stylish" or "elegant".

I know, I've sailed with the "Joad Family", four and an infant in their cv - I paid $11K for two, they paid a $1500 fee in addition to their minisuite. Nice.

Pretty soon, NCL will be hawking the Courtyard to the National Trailer Park Assn.

Why is NCL charging such a premium for the Gem cruises? Do they really think they're going to find that many customers willing to pay $16K for a cruise? .

I ask the same basic question with each new ship...but there seem to be a lot of folks that really want to sail the new ship and are willing to pay the price so I can't blame NCL (or any line) for charging a premium price when they can get away with it. (although I ask the question about insides, outsides and balconies-not suites ;) ). And it seems the new ships often retain the "higher prices" until another new ship is built.

I just sail the ships that might be a bit older and I still have a great time

Me too. If you are alarmed of the high price of a villa courtyard, you will be surprised how much lower the price is for an inside cabin. While a balcony is nice, you do not need a butler or a conceirge to enjoy a cruise.

You're right -- I have traveled many times in non-suite cabins and enjoyed myself immensely!

I don't want to make this an elitist thread. I don't want to be flamed for preferring a suite, nor would I slam someone who books an inside cabin. A nice perk of cruising, and NCL in particular, is the wide range of options available to many pocket books. You book the category cabin you desire and the public areas are available to everyone. For the prices I pay, I could sail on Crystal, Silversea, and the like. I choose NCL because it better fits my personality and taste.

I've tried to make two main points in my posts:

1. The Gem prices seem excessively higher than similar cruises on sister ships.

2. NCL has a difficult time selling the Courtyard cabins because the prices are so high. As a result, they have to fill them using upsells.

I am alarmed by the high price of the GEM cruises. A 10 day cruise in a BA cabin on the Gem is 25% more than that on a 9 day cruise on the Jewel. The premium for a Gem A3 is 50% more than the 9 day Jewel cruise (which is the same price I just paid for my recent 9 day Pearl cruise).

I don't understand why NCL is charging such a premium for the Gem cruises. The ship will be a year old and is identical to the Pearl and almost identical to the Jewel. Is it because it sails out of New York? That doesn't seem like a "plus" since it means you have to sail through two days of cold weather. The price difference just seems extreme to me.

While not cheap the Gem suite price next January is $1,999. This is a 10 day cruise so that has to be factored in. Holland America has a 10 day suite from Cape Liberty at the same time for $2,099, and the Explorer is running a 9 day for $1,599. New York departures are rarely a bargain but it looks like the Gem is in line with our carriers. Check out the 7 day summer prices out of New York. It seems they are always at least 20% above comparable Florida departures.

Is it because it sails out of New York? That doesn't seem like a "plus" since it means you have to sail through two days of cold weather. The price difference just seems extreme to me.

I think, for the large number of people who live in, or close to, New York, sailing out of New York with no flights required is seen as a big PLUS and NCL are trying to capitalise on this (as would any business).

While not cheap the Gem suite price next January is $1,999. This is a 10 day cruise so that has to be factored in. Holland America has a 10 day suite from Cape Liberty at the same time for $2,099, and the Explorer is running a 9 day for $1,599. New York departures are rarely a bargain but it looks like the Gem is in line with our carriers. Check out the 7 day summer prices out of New York. It seems they are always at least 20% above comparable Florida departures.

I think, for the large number of people who live in, or close to, New York, sailing out of New York with no flights required is seen as a big PLUS and NCL are trying to capitalise on this (as would any business).

Thanks for the insight! :)

Archived