Fuel Surcharge

tigervixxxen

I keep thinking about this $70 I'm being charged for the "fuel surcharge" and was wondering if any of you have gotten out of it? Does it work to complain to your TA or a Carnival rep? I understand about prices going up but I booked over 6 months ago and in my book locking in a price means locking in a price. I have not paid my final payment so technically I could cancel the cruise and get all my money back. So they should be willing to deal with me, right? Just wondering what all your thoughts are and if any of you had any luck in fighting the charge?

So they should be willing to deal with me, right? Just wondering what all your thoughts are and if any of you had any luck in fighting the charge?

I would think the way they will deal with you is to cancel your booking if you do not pay the surcharge...........I do not think that the fact you haven't paid your final payment yet is any leverage............they have others willing to take your booking..........and pay the surcharge.

Why would the cruise line want to lose a booking over $70? Its no guarantee that they could fill up the same room unless its some crazy popular cruise. I understand its not just Carnival but its not my fault the price of fuel went up since I booked my cruise. They don't send me food surcharge notices when the price of tomatoes go up. My airline doesn't send me fuel surcharge notices when their cost of fuel goes up. Thats the point of booking early, to avoid price increases. I don't care what makes the price increase but the point is I shouldn't be affected by it. They got my deposit money and they got to earn interest off of it for 6 months. Thats why you put down a deposit, to lock in your rate. I know if the $70 is that big of a deal to me that I can back out of the cruise. But I'm just wondering if anyone complained to Carnival and got it reversed is all.

Maybe $70 is not a lot to you guys but it is a lot to me. I also don't think its right that they can make you pay it after you booked your reservation. Its just a question. I'm not looking for anyone's approval or opinion of me.

Why would the cruise line want to lose a booking over $70? Its no guarantee that they could fill up the same room unless its some crazy popular cruise. I understand its not just Carnival but its not my fault the price of fuel went up since I booked my cruise. They don't send me food surcharge notices when the price of tomatoes go up. My airline doesn't send me fuel surcharge notices when their cost of fuel goes up. Thats the point of booking early, to avoid price increases. I don't care what makes the price increase but the point is I shouldn't be affected by it. They got my deposit money and they got to earn interest off of it for 6 months. Thats why you put down a deposit, to lock in your rate. I know if the $70 is that big of a deal to me that I can back out of the cruise. But I'm just wondering if anyone complained to Carnival and got it reversed is all.

Maybe $70 is not a lot to you guys but it is a lot to me. I also don't think its right that they can make you pay it after you booked your reservation. Its just a question. I'm not looking for anyone's approval or opinion of me.

Most people won't cancel over the $70 that's why. They will still fill the ship. If you read Carnival's terms you will see they have the right to add surcharges at any given point.

If you want to cancel, you have the right. Do what IS BEST FOR YOU!

Why would the cruise line want to lose a booking over $70? Its no guarantee that they could fill up the same room unless its some crazy popular cruise.

Believe me.....the ship will sail full. Someone will be in that cabin. Might as well be you, right?!

I'm not tickled pink that they increased the price of my cruise after I already made a deposit to lock in the price. But what can you do?? I don't think complaining will do any good.

So....like the others, I'm going on my cruise and having a wondeful time!

Ok, having been in the transportation industry for a number of years, it has, and continues to be common practice to add a fuel surcharge to each and every shipping invoice that goes out to shippers. This surcharge ultimately is passed along to you, the consumer, in the form of higher prices on everything that you buy. Fuel cost is a major expenditure in every form of transport, cruise ships among them. Next time you go to the supermarket, observe how much grocery items have increased in the last year. Why should the cruise lines not pass these increases along to the consumer? Airlines do, Walmart does, Publix does, and so does everyone else! I suggest that you direct your complaints to the speculators in the commodity markets that drive up the price of crude oil.

Keep in mind you are 1 of 20,000 to 30,000 bookings they make every week.......they made a decision and will stick to it.

If they void your $70......they will set a precedence that will snowball........with everyone wanting to void the surcharge.

My guess is they don't even want to talk to you about it..........the decision has already been made.

If you don't want to pay the fuel surcharge, don't. You can cancel without penalty now, so do it. If you think your point is valid, then hire an attorney and file a lawsuit against Carnival for breach of contract.

If you don't think Carnival is willing to risk your booking over $70, then why don't you call Carnival and tell Carnival that it either waves your fuel surcharge or you will cancel your reservation and demand to have your deposit refunded to you. Then you will know for sure.

But don't start whining about the fuel surcharge and then do nothing. Either accept it and pay it. Don't accept it and cancel. Or file your lawsuit and let the court rule who is right and who is wrong.

Thanks for your thoughts but I just don't see things that way. I'm not arguing about the philosophy of price increases, I'm just trying to get my $70 back. What happened to the customer is always right, customer relations or trying to keep customers loyal?

I probably won't cancel my reservation but I don't think I should accept this increase without saying something. If it doesn't work then fine. Its worth the 60 seconds of my time to bring it up to save $70.

I really don't think there would be a precedent set if they took the charge off my bill. Obviously a lot of people were not upset enough about the charge to even ask about it, so why would they refund your money too?

So the answer to my question is nobody has cared enough about the increase to ask for it to be reversed?

I'm sorry this question has caused such a strong reaction from people. I was just looking for a response to the question. I couldn't tell you how many times I've gotten fees reduced from companies for just asking for them. I didn't think a cruise was such a sacred event.

They don't send me food surcharge notices when the price of tomatoes go up. My airline doesn't send me fuel surcharge notices when their cost of fuel goes up.

....yes the airline will add a surcharge for fuel increases.

......and you don't need tomatoes to run a cruise ship......if tomatoes get to be too expensive......you will see fewer....or no tomatoes.

.......the surcharge is there because they need fuel to run the ship........they can not choose to use less fuel.

If you bothered to search and read all the over abundance of threads on this topic when the surcharge was first introduced, you will find you are not the only one unhappy with it. However, I have heard of no one in the states who got it reversed.

Sure, go ahead and call or write Carnival and voice your displeasure. It won't do any good except maybe to make you feel better. But if it makes you feel better to tell them how you feel, then do it. And then pay your $70 and go on your cruise.

....yes the airline will add a surcharge for fuel increases.

......and you don't need tomatoes to run a cruise ship......if tomatoes get to be too expensive......you will see fewer....or no tomatoes.

.......the surcharge is there because they need fuel to run the ship........they can not choose to use less fuel.

I've never had Frontier Airlines send me a letter requesting additional money after I paid for my seat.

The tomatoes was an example. I'm sure everything goes up in price. Laundry detergent, the electricity bill, the chlorine for the hot tub.

Thanks for your thoughts but I just don't see things that way. I'm not arguing about the philosophy of price increases, I'm just trying to get my $70 back. What happened to the customer is always right, customer relations or trying to keep customers loyal?
1) The customer is not always right. 2) Customer relations and/or customer loyalty is up to the business, there is no law that says the business has to even try.

I probably won't cancel my reservation but I don't think I should accept this increase without saying something. If it doesn't work then fine. Its worth the 60 seconds of my time to bring it up to save $70.
Then call Carnival and "bring it up". Posting here is not going to get you any closer to a resolution.

I really don't think there would be a precedent set if they took the charge off my bill.
If you believe this, then you don't understand the meaning of "precedent".

So the answer to my question is nobody has cared enough about the increase to ask for it to be reversed?
Do you really think you are the only person that is unhappy about this and that you are the only person to complain about this?

I couldn't tell you how many times I've gotten fees reduced from companies for just asking for them. I didn't think a cruise was such a sacred event.
So, then ask Carnival. Do you usually post on a public board before you call the company and "just ask them"? Instead of telling us all about what you have done in the past, why not just do it and find out what happens?

TigerVixxen, it doesn't matter what others do or don't do. The cruise lines have implemented the surcharge. Not sure exactly how it was done on all lines but Carnival has decided that it will be on all sailings departing on or after 1 Feb 2008 whether you have already paid or not. Many people had already paid in full -- they got hit with it. Many of us have multiple cruises booked in advance -- we got hit with it on each and every one. It's not you personally.

I agree -- it sucks. But the only way you can truly protest is to cancel. And frankly, it won't make any difference to Carnival. Your cabin will be re-sold and you won't be on the cruise. Only you can decide if you want to go or not. I won't cancel any of the three cruises I booked prior to the surcharge being implemented. I'll pay it and go anyway.

Hello:

I am planning a Cruise on the Glory, and I'm looking for a great place

to stay in Port Canaveral for 2 nights before I cruise. I hoping for

a nice 3 or 4 star Hotel near everything.

Does anyone have any ideas's. I've looked on on-line at Ron Jon Caribe Resort, Four Points Sheraton, and Ocean Suites? Has anyone stayed in any of these places?

Also, does anyone know the name of the closest hotel to the Cruise Port?

Cocoa Beach Pier? Can anyone tell me about this pier and

how far away is it from the port?

I'll need a place that will be good for a families with children.

Also the best family style Seafood, Pizza and Hamburger Restaurants and some nice Tourist Attractions?

Thank you

Renee

I just wanna go on a cruise....a long peaceful,stress free,relaxing cruise. I'm not gonna let $35.00 bother me. Blowing $35.00 isn't a hard thing for me to do. But this $35.00 is going towards me having my week away from the normal everyday stress that comes with my way of life. Now if Carnival was wanting a couple hundred extra bucks THAT would be something to raise a ruckus about but $35.00 just isn't worth the trouble.

Tigervixen

According to my travel agent Canadians who had booked, but not necessarily paid, prior to November 7th are exempt due to some sort of tax issue.

If you are a Canadian citizen, it ma be something to look into. Cheers!

I really don't think there would be a precedent set if they took the charge off my bill. Obviously a lot of people were not upset enough about the charge to even ask about it, so why would they refund your money too?

I'm sorry this question has caused such a strong reaction from people. I was just looking for a response to the question. I couldn't tell you how many times I've gotten fees reduced from companies for just asking for them. I didn't think a cruise was such a sacred event.

Bear with me here for a moment....If I come across as....not nice, I don't mean to. 2 sick kids, time off from work and a sick wife plus a few drinks can do that to you. Once this is done, I have to get back to work.

1. It's not about the customer being right. Carnivals contract specifically states THEY CAN ADD SURCHARGES....does not matter if you PIF or not. That pretty much ends the argument, but read on if you will.

2. If they take it off for you it certainly DOES set a precedent. You may not think so. (this is where I sound ugly but I'm not) Simple minds think it can be done for one person...then you tell us....and it snowballs. You have no idea how quick it will bit them in the ass, no idea. Trust me, I run a small business, I know first hand.

3. We care. If you had bothered to search you would see we care. Call Carnival and complain. Please, they need to know how many people are upset. If you don't voice your opinion then this thread it a moot point. Call, complain...it won't change it but do it anyway for principle. Me, I don't really care. I can easily save that money and more lot's of other ways.

4. You got a strong reaction because you didn't search. Sorry, truth hurts. Message forums are great but become cluttered and useless when repeat posts keep showing up. Better to search and bump a thread with a reply.

This is where most people yell at me and tell me I'm not friendly. I'm ok with that.

I've been an admin of public boards, I am an admin of a few more now. Been a mod for years before that. I'm also an IT person (also known as people that can't stand end users.) This is the nicest forum you will probably ever visit as people (few exceptions apply, me one of them) will rarely complain about the search function!

believe me, if there was a way to get the surcharge removed you would find it here first.

Flame on, I have a flame retardent suit. Just don't spill my beer, then I'll really get upset :p

Tigervixen

According to my travel agent Canadians who had booked, but not necessarily paid, prior to November 7th are exempt due to some sort of tax issue.

If you are a Canadian citizen, it ma be something to look into. Cheers!

Not really a tax issue, but some laws in certain provinces governing the sale of travel. Was only supposed to apply to people who booked with a TA in those provinces, but apparently it has since been expanded to all Canadians. I'm still waiting to see it come back on my card. Another couple of weeks and I'd really just prefer it to show up as OBC.

I'm sure everything goes up in price. Laundry detergent, the electricity bill, the chlorine for the hot tub.

....correct.......their elctricity bill went up because their fuel cost......to make the electricity.......went up........:D

WHACK......THUD,,,,,,,,,WHACK.........THUD,,,,,,,,,,,,WHACK...........THUD!!!!

Is the horse dead yet? Yeah? Well I'll just keep beating it then.:D

WHACK......THUD,,,,,,,,,WHACK.........THUD,,,,,,,,,,,,WHACK...........THUD!!!!

Seriously though, OP in the future just click the "Search This Forum" icon at the top right of the main Carnival Threads page. Im sure you'll get alot of info from other threads, without having to start a new one. A new thread only needs to be started if desired info can't be found. Not a rule, just courtesy. :)

What happened to the customer is always right, customer relations or trying to keep customers loyal?

Replaced long ago by something called risk management. The number of customers who would cancel was calculated in long before the decision to implement was ever made.

Archived