Fuel Surcharge

tigervixxxen

Hello:

I am planning a Cruise on the Glory, and I'm looking for a great place

to stay in Port Canaveral for 2 nights before I cruise. I hoping for

a nice 3 or 4 star Hotel near everything.

Does anyone have any ideas's. I've looked on on-line at Ron Jon Caribe Resort, Four Points Sheraton, and Ocean Suites? Has anyone stayed in any of these places?

Also, does anyone know the name of the closest hotel to the Cruise Port?

Cocoa Beach Pier? Can anyone tell me about this pier and

how far away is it from the port?

I'll need a place that will be good for a families with children.

Also the best family style Seafood, Pizza and Hamburger Restaurants and some nice Tourist Attractions?

Thank you

Renee

Country suites is the closest about a 1/4 mile from the port tops.

The four points is very nice and brand new.Ronjons is also very nice.Choose Four points!

The pier is about 4 miles from the port,and four points is another 2 miles further.All the food places are around the 4 points area and the whole long road that it is on.

I know the area very well as I moved from there a couple months ago.

Country suites is the closest about a 1/4 mile from the port tops.

The four points is very nice and brand new.Ronjons is also very nice.Choose Four points!

The pier is about 4 miles from the port,and four points is another 2 miles further.All the food places are around the 4 points area and the whole long road that it is on.

I know the area very well as I moved from there a couple months ago.

there is a great thread on east coast departures, i work in port canaveral. the best deal is radisson because they are the only hotel that you can book ANY room, even the $99 internet special and get FREE shuttle to the port. the shuttle is $3 or $4 pp if you say elsewhere and dont get the cruise special deal which is more expensive. its right next to country inn and has a awesome pool water falls and free cruise parking. mcdonalds is across the street. i priced them all out before i stayed there last sept

It hurts a little when you're paying for a family trip for ten people in four cabins but we'll go and have fun anyways.

Exactly the same with us - 10 people in four staterooms - lots of fun!

But I filed a complaint with Florida's AG because Carnival (and other lines) should not be allowed to retroactively increase the cruise fare. We'll just have to wait and see!

To those who think they can predict the future (as stated on this thread), please check your crystal balls for the lotto numbers.... ;)

there is a great thread on east coast departures, i work in port canaveral. the best deal is radisson because they are the only hotel that you can book ANY room, even the $99 internet special and get FREE shuttle to the port. the shuttle is $3 or $4 pp if you say elsewhere and dont get the cruise special deal which is more expensive. its right next to country inn and has a awesome pool water falls and free cruise parking. mcdonalds is across the street. i priced them all out before i stayed there last sept

I assume the poster has a rental car as they are going to stay for 2 nights,so they get free drop off with the car company.

I just booked the Country suites for $89.38 in april for friends and that was thru pricelines regular site,not the bid site.

If the poster has a personal car then for $30 ($129)extra that Radisson deal is a great deal,and it is a very nice place.With the kids it might be better for them but if the kids are younger, than Ron jons water park might be better.

That is not what I said. What I said was that he said only Lawyers profit in Class Action lawsuits.

I put what I said in TWO SEPARATE PARAGRAPHS which in no way indicated they were linked. The first paragraph had nothing at all to do with the second one. That's why they are in two paragraphs indicating separation of topics. Got it?

BTW, he no longer practices as the lack of ethics was too much for him, the same reason he no longer works on Capitol Hill with politicians.

Kudos to your friend, understand the dilemma well. I used to quote Abe Lincoln -- I'm sure it's not exactly verbatim -- if you can't be a lawyer and be honest, it's time to stop being a lawyer.

"Profit" is a bit nebulous. Since contract law only allows the benefit of the bargain, a plaintiff will never "profit", in fact s/he will lose $$ because of the legal fees (except in particular actions, like class, when fees may be assessed to the defendant). Your friend is correct, the profit is to the lawyer, like it is to the plumber, the physician, etc., anyone who charges for a service. I have no problem with that.

Your "sanctioned" argument is interesting, at least. I don't think, however, that rising fuels costs are "sanctioned" by the government, only in a very far reaching analysis concerning regulation of speculators.

I assume the poster has a rental car as they are going to stay for 2 nights,so they get free drop off with the car company.

I just booked the Country suites for $89.38 in april for friends and that was thru pricelines regular site,not the bid site.

If the poster has a personal car then for $30 ($129)extra that Radisson deal is a great deal,and it is a very nice place.With the kids it might be better for them but if the kids are younger, than Ron jons water park might be better.

i paid $99 hot rate online for Radisson and had a great room. how did this thread get into the fuel surcharge threads??? the hot rate works fine direct from radisson. before you correct me again, read the thread below. free cruise parking is included no matter which room you book at radisson. it is not $30 extra. see shirleys notes and others in the thread below

if you are assuming they have a rental car and dont need free cruise parking or shuttle, than they can get bargains galore on hotwire, cocoa beach beachfront as low $59.

this is the wrong thread for this discussion. for great advice on this topic

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=436720&page=130

• 2 weeks later...

1. Pre-Nov 2007 RCCL contracts did not allow them to change the price for any reason. . . .

2. Cruise brochures have ALWAYS stated that the price you book and deposit is the price you pay, EXCEPT for GOVERNMENT fees and charges added after the booking date. Fuel is not a government charge.

3. They cannot and have not reserved the right to change the contract language. You contract is fixed when you make the booking - they are merely given you payment terms. The delayed payment is not a grant of their ability to change the pricing or terms.

4. The fuel surcharge language actually provides that 'unanticipated' fuel expenses. What is unanticipated? Not the amount of the fuel burned - they have detailed records of the fuel burn of each cruise and itinerary. They know how much they are going to burn each cruise.

Next - the amount of the RCCL and Carnival hedge fuel costs.

On October 22, 2007 - RCCL announced:

Fuel prices were up 7.1% versus the third quarter of 2006, but cost per APCD was down about 1.9% mainly due to energy saving and other fuel initiatives. The average at-the-pump price for the quarter was $473 per metric ton versus $442 per metric ton in 2006.

What this means in the plain English is that it costs RCCL LESS now per passenger cruise day for fuel than it used to.

RCCL needs to REFUND passenger money, not take more of it.

So, you think if the fuel surcharges are appropriate . . .

if not - we're bringing a class action - and need someone from Carnival who is popped off enough to be a plaintiff.

if not - we're bringing a class action - and need someone from Carnival who is popped off enough to be a plaintiff.

Count me in! However, Carnival's passenger contract included the option to add fuel surcharges. And Carnival's passenger contract prohibits class action suits, calling for individual suits only. I hope they can't get away with it (and have complained to Florida's AG). If someone files a class action suit, I'll certainly jump on the band wagon. But for now, I'm waiting for the AG's reply.

Count me in! However, Carnival's passenger contract included the option to add fuel surcharges. And Carnival's passenger contract prohibits class action suits, calling for individual suits only. I hope they can't get away with it (and have complained to Florida's AG). If someone files a class action suit, I'll certainly jump on the band wagon. But for now, I'm waiting for the AG's reply.

I do believe you are in error about allowing for the fuel surcharge. I believe I posted on this thread a link to an earlier thread where someone kindly reprinted the old contract, and the fuel surcharge went to air/sea passengers.

I keep thinking about this $70 I'm being charged for the "fuel surcharge" and was wondering if any of you have gotten out of it? Does it work to complain to your TA or a Carnival rep? I understand about prices going up but I booked over 6 months ago and in my book locking in a price means locking in a price. I have not paid my final payment so technically I could cancel the cruise and get all my money back. So they should be willing to deal with me, right? Just wondering what all your thoughts are and if any of you had any luck in fighting the charge?

I found this online::eek:

Fuel Supplements at a Glance

Line

Per-Person, Per-Day Supplement

Effective for

Caveats

Azamara

$5

All sailings on or after Feb. 1, 2008

Supplement is capped at $70 per person, per sailing. No charge for children or other third/fourth passengers in a cabin.

Carnival

$5

Supplement is capped at $70 per person, per sailing. No charge for children or other third/fourth passengers in a cabin.

Celebrity

$5

Costa Cruises

$5

Cunard

$5

Holland America

$5

Majestic America

$8.50

All new bookings after Dec. 15, 2007, and all existing bookings not paid in full by that date

N/A

NCL

$7

All new bookings made on or after Dec. 1, 2007

Children and other third/fourth passengers in a cabin are charged $3 per person, per day.

Oceania

$7

All new bookings made on or after Dec. 1, 2007, and all bookings not yet fully paid

N/A

Princess

$5

Royal Caribbean

$5

Seabourn

$5

Silversea

$10

All new 2008 cruise bookings made on or after Nov. 14, 2007.

N/A

Star Clippers

$8

All new bookings starting Dec. 17, 2007

Supplement is capped at $100 per person, per sailing.

Viking River Cruises

$7

All new bookings made after Dec. 19, 2007, and all reservations not paid in full by that date

N/A

Windstar

$8.50

All new bookings after Dec. 15, 2007, and all existing bookings not paid in full by that date

N/A

In all walks of life everyone now charges a fuel surcharge. I just sent a 4lb package on ups and was charged .44 fuel surcharge so my 5.50 is now 5.94 charge. Trucking frims have done this for years. If Carnival raised the price of their cruises by $35 per a person for 7 days. You would have people complaining about that. I have no problem paying a fuel surcharge as long as Carnival maintains their ship and great service.

Mike:)

In all walks of life everyone now charges a fuel surcharge. I just sent a 4lb package on ups and was charged .44 fuel surcharge so my 5.50 is now 5.94 charge. Trucking frims have done this for years. If Carnival raised the price of their cruises by $35 per a person for 7 days. You would have people complaining about that. I have no problem paying a fuel surcharge as long as Carnival maintains their ship and great service.

hmmm...The only problem I see is that this type of fee will become an "assumed cost" very quickly, with no controls or stanards. Look what I posted earlier. Fuel surcharges are ranging from $5-$10 per person. That is double. As you stated, UPS is now adding fuel surcharges. I work for the State and we are seeing it with bids. I did not see fuel surcharges when gas went from $1.40 to $2.40. Why are we seeing it now?? I would also venture a guess that cruise lines have already locked in on a fuel rate, which could mean an opportunity for them to make some pure profit! Only a thought:rolleyes:

hmmm...The only problem I see is that this type of fee will become an "assumed cost" very quickly, with no controls or stanards. Look what I posted earlier. Fuel surcharges are ranging from $5-$10 per person. That is double. As you stated, UPS is now adding fuel surcharges. I work for the State and we are seeing it with bids. I did not see fuel surcharges when gas went from $1.40 to $2.40. Why are we seeing it now?? I would also venture a guess that cruise lines have already locked in on a fuel rate, which could mean an opportunity for them to make some pure profit! Only a thought:rolleyes:
On my last cruise I took two cans of soda from the in cabin stock. I was charged the per can price plus a 15% gratuity. Now who gets that gratuity? The cabin attendant who is already getting a gratuity? Some unseen bar waiter or waitress who did not deliver the cans of soda? Or the cruise line? That the cruise lines are looking for more ways to make a buck is no secrete.

Also, for some strange reason the fuel surcharge remains. Why? They already know the fuel costs more, so all they have to do is raise the cost of the cruise. Yet, instead of raising the cost of the cruise, the cruise remains at the same price and a fuel surcharge is added. Why?

1. Pre-Nov 2007 RCCL contracts did not allow them to change the price for any reason. . . .

2. Cruise brochures have ALWAYS stated that the price you book and deposit is the price you pay, EXCEPT for GOVERNMENT fees and charges added after the booking date. Fuel is not a government charge.

3. They cannot and have not reserved the right to change the contract language. You contract is fixed when you make the booking - they are merely given you payment terms. The delayed payment is not a grant of their ability to change the pricing or terms.

4. The fuel surcharge language actually provides that 'unanticipated' fuel expenses. What is unanticipated? Not the amount of the fuel burned - they have detailed records of the fuel burn of each cruise and itinerary. They know how much they are going to burn each cruise.

Next - the amount of the RCCL and Carnival hedge fuel costs.

On October 22, 2007 - RCCL announced:

Fuel prices were up 7.1% versus the third quarter of 2006, but cost per APCD was down about 1.9% mainly due to energy saving and other fuel initiatives. The average at-the-pump price for the quarter was $473 per metric ton versus $442 per metric ton in 2006.

What this means in the plain English is that it costs RCCL LESS now per passenger cruise day for fuel than it used to.

RCCL needs to REFUND passenger money, not take more of it.

Very good post. Needs to be posted on the RCCL thread, the one with 2000 plus posts. I also am waiting for the AG, but have an interest in a suit if that doesn't bring fruit. My guess is the class action suit provisions would be thrown out by a court, but have never seen that they have been challanged.

On my last cruise I took two cans of soda from the in cabin stock. I was charged the per can price plus a 15% gratuity. Now who gets that gratuity? The cabin attendant who is already getting a gratuity? Some unseen bar waiter or waitress who did not deliver the cans of soda? Or the cruise line? That the cruise lines are looking for more ways to make a buck is no secrete.

Also, for some strange reason the fuel surcharge remains. Why? They already know the fuel costs more, so all they have to do is raise the cost of the cruise. Yet, instead of raising the cost of the cruise, the cruise remains at the same price and a fuel surcharge is added. Why?

Cruizer2. Yes I agree with you. Actually I made it a point to my family NOT to drink any of the soda's or water in our room, yet we also got charged for two soda's. I was not happy, considering we gave our cabin attendent a nice tip for being so nice. I don't think that I will make that mistake again.

It seems right now that public and government are not saying anything. To just throw out a fee and call it a Fuel Surcharge seems ridiculous. Especially if they do not have to validate what exactly the cost is? Oil has also dropped too. I have yet to see a Fuel Surcharge Credit! What is next, Ship overhaul surcharge, ship painting surcharge , upkeep surcharge, increased labor cost surcharge....whoops better stop there, I may give them an idea! lol :D

Cruizer2. Yes I agree with you. Actually I made it a point to my family NOT to drink any of the soda's or water in our room, yet we also got charged for two soda's. I was not happy, considering we gave our cabin attendent a nice tip for being so nice. I don't think that I will make that mistake again.

It seems right now that public and government are not saying anything. To just throw out a fee and call it a Fuel Surcharge seems ridiculous. Especially if they do not have to validate what exactly the cost is? Oil has also dropped too. I have yet to see a Fuel Surcharge Credit! What is next, Ship overhaul surcharge, ship painting surcharge , upkeep surcharge, increased labor cost surcharge....whoops better stop there, I may give them an idea! lol :D

I think Tiger's point is valid. Even though it might be in the fine print in a contract and the cruise lines I guess can charge this surcharge, it really should not have affected those that already paid a deposit and have been given a sum total price due for services and accommodations.

I do not know any other industry that would do the same thing in principle.

I think the fairest method would be the cruise lines just adjusting the listed fare price accordingly to take care of all expenses. It seems cruise prices go up and down all the time anyways.

I have no problem paying a fuel surcharge as long as Carnival maintains their ship and great service.

Mike,

Posts such as these intrigue me. (I know it doesn't take much :)) What is your price? What I mean is.. what is the price that would make you have a problem as long as Carnival maintains their ship and great service?

I have no problem paying a fuel surcharge as long as Carnival maintains their ship and great service.

Mike,

Posts such as these intrigue me. (I know it doesn't take much :)) What is your price? What I mean is.. what is the price that would make you have a problem as long as Carnival maintains their ship and great service?

Actually, Carnival disclosed during their 4Q07 earnings call that they had raised their 2007 fares an average of 4%. Of course, they also imposed the fuel surcharge at the end of 2007. Since cruise line's costs are not transparent or regulated, who knows how much of their increased fuel costs are being passed through in the form of increase fares versus the fuel surcharge. It's anybody's guess.

It's true that many other industries charge fuel surcharges. However, the fuel surcharges in virtually all those industries are subject to government oversight (i.e., filed tariff or caps). Moreover, other government regulations frequently apply (e.g., in the airline industry, the FAA requires that the fuel surcharge always be quoted in the base fare, rather than buried in the "mice print.")

If Carnival and the other cruise lines want to open up their books to regulators so that an appropriate fuel surcharge can be fixed, or to subject themselves to other forms of pricing regulation, then God bless them. I wouldn't choose that option, but ultimately it goes with the territory.

Archived