Fuel Surcharge

tigervixxxen

Thanks again, it is interesting to note that the class action lawsuit stuff is of recent vintage -- maybe post Nov 7th?? Gee, I would love to know -- anyone? That would certainly say something, wouldn't it? Please don't leave, you have given us important additional information.

Could you be so kind as to copy the applicable fuel surcharge clause in your 2006 contract since this is the first I have seen that mentioned on the boards. I just want to be sure it is not the part regarding the sea/air stuff that was in the contract prior; the mention of the fuel surcharge there is very confined as was discussed by me on the link to the old surcharge thread a few posts back where another posted their old contract.

The class action lawsuit "stuff" is in my documents for my Aug 30, 2007 sailing on the Ecstasy. So PRE Nov 7th by at least a couple of months.

To my knowledge, Disney is not, currently. It is still under evaluation.

Heya Jax. I'm still planning a Disney cruise for '09, pending further surcharge "dust settling". Thanks for wandering over here and keeping the faith. I'm starting to speculate on the applicability of Bahamian laws on Bahamian flagged vessels. Their consumer protection laws are pretty tough.

The class action lawsuit "stuff" is in my documents for my Aug 30, 2007 sailing on the Ecstasy. So PRE Nov 7th by at least a couple of months.

Thanks, much. I do know RCI is on record as considering it in August, and saying they had some legal problems concerning it. Maybe it

goes back even further?

To an earlier poster, is Carnival really cheaper than the other cruise lines? I don't think so. On a recent cruise on the Conquest their minute to minute rate for internet was a staggering 75 cents. RCCL goes for 50 cents. Booking a cruise seems about the same to me, and NCL seems a little cheaper. The photos were pricey too. The embarkation photo was about $20. It would be interesting for a comparison of prices between cruise lines to see how Carnival really compares.
When you are looking just at the cost of the cruise, Carnival and Norwegian are usually less than Royal Caribbean. That said, I just recently went on a cruise with Royal Caribbean, even though I really wanted to go with Carnival (same days and same itinerary) because the Royal Caribbean cruise was $250 less. That is a fairly significant figure, given it was only a three night cruise.

Then I saw the photograph prices. $20 for embarkation (it was not an 8x10 - I checked). $17 for the dinner photos. Again, not 8x10. One couple at my table had three photos taken, one of each and one together. To buy all three would have cost $50! The photo with the captain - $17. It was a 6x8 if I recall right (that is the only one I bought). It used to be $20 for the posed formal night photos and $10 for everything else (that is the way it was in June 2007 on the Freedom of the Seas and in August 2004 on the Navigator OTS).

So, sometimes Carnival is less, sometimes Norwegian is less, sometimes Royal Caribbean is less, and for all I know, sometimes Crystal is less. However, in general, Carnival and Norwegian tend to cost less than Royal Caribbean, and in general Disney cost more than Royal Caribbean and Crystal cost more than Disney and the Russian space agency cost more than Crystal.

Heya Jax. I'm still planning a Disney cruise for '09, pending further surcharge "dust settling". Thanks for wandering over here and keeping the faith. I'm starting to speculate on the applicability of Bahamian laws on Bahamian flagged vessels. Their consumer protection laws are pretty tough.

Heya, snorkel,

Thought maybe you were on a cruise as we haven't seen you recently on the mega thread. Any news on your FOIA? Having filed plenty of those, I know they take FOREVER. Bahamina laws? -- now there is a new tact.

Many kudos have been thrown the way of Goldstein at RCI for prompt answers to problems. I am having a mega problem with my 2009 reservation -- just too long to go into here -- suffice it to say that RCI took my money and put it on another person's cruise, and have been shaking me down for another deposit. I might give him a try on the reservation problem. Long story short, I want that reservation straightened out, even though I may end up cancelling it, depending, because I don't want the complaints I filed with the AG's to lack standing.

Heya, snorkel,

Thought maybe you were on a cruise as we haven't seen you recently on the mega thread. Any news on your FOIA? Having filed plenty of those, I know they take FOREVER. Bahamina laws? -- now there is a new tact.

Many kudos have been thrown the way of Goldstein at RCI for prompt answers to problems. I am having a mega problem with my 2009 reservation -- just too long to go into here -- suffice it to say that RCI took my money and put it on another person's cruise, and have been shaking me down for another deposit. I might give him a try on the reservation problem. Long story short, I want that reservation straightened out, even though I may end up cancelling it, depending, because I don't want the complaints I filed with the AG's to lack standing.

Nothing on the FOIA yet. It's been 30 days as of tomorrow so I'll follow up next week. I saw the posts re: your reservation issues, I didn't have anything to add so I didn't comment. The class-action waiver clauses have been in place for a while at Carnival.

Then WHY for God's sake are you reading and responding to this thread? Do something or pay attention to something that does interest you? Does someone have a gun to your head forcing you to participate here???? Call 911
Now think about that for a minute. If in fact some is holding a gun to the poster's head, forcing the poster to read and post on this thread, do you really think the person holding the gun is just going to allow the poster to call 911 instead of reading and posting on this thread? :)

for Snorkel.

Under 1 C, 4th line.

carnival.jpg

It is as I thought, sneezy. That refers to government fees, most particular to air travel (sea/air arrangements). But thanks for taking the time to bring us this so we would know that we hadn't missed something -- appreciate it.

for Snorkel.

Under 1 C, 4th line.

carnival.jpg

Thanks, that reads the same as my contract from Nov 5th.

Government taxes and fees imposed or sanctioned by the U.S. Government or other Governments.

Not sure how Carnival could spin that to apply to a bogus surcharge going into their own general revenue.

OK Carnival, you got my $70 after changing the verbiage of my contract after I paid in full. That is a pittance of what I usually spend on cruise ships. On this cruise, I will drink iced tea at dinner, sneak aboard my own booze, and buy all my souvenirs at the ports. It will not be a popular decision with my family, but it will be enforced. The only money spent on the ship will be the customary tips to the staff. We will still have a great time, and at least I'll get some satisfaction.

OK Carnival, you got my $70 after changing the verbiage of my contract after I paid in full. That is a pittance of what I usually spend on cruise ships. On this cruise, I will drink iced tea at dinner, sneak aboard my own booze, and buy all my souvenirs at the ports. It will not be a popular decision with my family, but it will be enforced. The only money spent on the ship will be the customary tips to the staff. We will still have a great time, and at least I'll get some satisfaction.

We are doing exactly the same thing! My onboard folio was well over $1,000 on the NCL Pearl / Alaska in May. I intend to mail Carnival a copy of it, along with my $0 shipboard folio from the Legend in February (with an explanation). I'm booking independent tours and plan not to spend one freakin' cent on board this ship. Like you, we'll have a great time. But they treat us as if we have no value to them, we'll have no value to them. This is my 12th Carnival cruise.

Hasn't this been beaten to death? The contract shown also says "sanctioned" by governments. I think that points to whether a fuel surcharge is allowed by the governments, not just imposed (and not just US governments). Also, this issue only really applies to anyone who had already booked, correct? So, this is a a self-curing problem as anyone who affected by it will have already sailed within a year or so and then it won't be an issue anymore. We booked in early Nov and the surcharge was already on the booking info.

I personally think that Carnival will win any lawsuit and even if they don't, class action lawsuits tend to be settled by giving credit for future purchases at the most and they end up costing everyone in the long run because the only ones that profit are the lawyers. (this from a lawyer friend).

Hasn't this been beaten to death? The contract shown also says "sanctioned" by governments. (this from a lawyer friend).

Please don't tell me that your lawyer friend agreed with your definition of "sanctioned." Because if that is the case, I think you are now obligated to tell us this lawyer's name as a public service.:rolleyes:

TIC warning!

Another great way to stick it to 'em would be to have everyone in your party order an extra steak at dinner. Then cut them up and leave them uneaten. Or buy the soda card and then get everyone at the pool a free soda. Or pretend you are having a heart attack and make them turn the ship around. I got a million of 'em

TIC warning!

Another great way to stick it to 'em would be to have everyone in your party order an extra steak at dinner. Then cut them up and leave them uneaten. Or buy the soda card and then get everyone at the pool a free soda. Or pretend you are having a heart attack and make them turn the ship around. I got a million of 'em

Dollars to donuts a few people here will whiff on your "TIC" reference and break out the torches & pitchforks. ;) :)

TIC warning!

Well, that is three. Lets see the other 999,997.

Dollars to donuts a few people here will whiff on your "TIC" reference and break out the torches & pitchforks. ;) :)
Thanks for the warning. I had never seen TIC before. It took me a while to figure it out (though I never intended to fetch my torch and pitchfork).

Now about the bet - don't donuts cost more than a dollar now? I think this one needs to be updated. It has lost its meaning to inflation.

Hello:

I am planning a Cruise on the Glory, and I'm looking for a great place

to stay in Port Canaveral for 2 nights before I cruise. I hoping for

a nice 3 or 4 star Hotel near everything.

Does anyone have any ideas's. I've looked on on-line at Ron Jon Caribe Resort, Four Points Sheraton, and Ocean Suites? Has anyone stayed in any of these places?

Also, does anyone know the name of the closest hotel to the Cruise Port?

Cocoa Beach Pier? Can anyone tell me about this pier and

how far away is it from the port?

I'll need a place that will be good for a families with children.

Also the best family style Seafood, Pizza and Hamburger Restaurants and some nice Tourist Attractions?

Thank you

Renee

Hi Renee

Try this web site for information on Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral.:D

www.cocoabeach.com

The hotels at the port are all very nice.

Enjoy your cruise.

Please don't tell me that your lawyer friend agreed with your definition of "sanctioned." Because if that is the case, I think you are now obligated to tell us this lawyer's name as a public service.:rolleyes:

That is not what I said. What I said was that he said only Lawyers profit in Class Action lawsuits.

I put what I said in TWO SEPARATE PARAGRAPHS which in no way indicated they were linked. The first paragraph had nothing at all to do with the second one. That's why they are in two paragraphs indicating separation of topics. Got it?

BTW, he no longer practices as the lack of ethics was too much for him, the same reason he no longer works on Capitol Hill with politicians.

Archived