Attention Category 11 and 12 snobs: Is a suite worth the extra money?

wework2play

We were upgraded to a Cat. 12 on the Liberty in November. There were 4 of us and we had plenty of room. Closets everywhere, 2 dressing areas for getting ready. It will be really hard next time if we didn't have the larger room. It took us 10 minutes to get on the ship, and some waited for up to 2 hours. When you're getting on you need to pay attention and tell employees you're VIP boarding or you will get mixed in the group along the way. The jacuzzi tub was great and the larger balcony allowed all of us to go outside at the same time. I found myself in the room a little more with the penthouse. When I felt congestion at the pool deck, I would come inside to the balcony for a couple hours. I also ordered room service a few times, and sat on the deck. "No plastic chairs either".

After 20-cruises on many lines with six (so far) on Carnival (two more booked in 2008) we prefer the cat 11 (utilizing the military rate) over the rest. However, we will take the o/v Riveria deck anytime the Cat 11 rate is too high.:D

Our point of view...

...we found that we have to share the entire deck with those nasty balcony people.

Did you know that there are only handful of our beloved Cat 11 &12 suites on each ship so they spread them out around those pathetically small and unliveable balcony warrens!!???!!!

Until Carnival wakes up, and comes to its senses, by having Cat11 &12 suites on their own exclusive deck, with exclusive atrium elevator access, we are moving to a different line!!

And NO! we are not Cat 11 & 12 "snobs"....for us it is a health issue....statistics show that it is more likely that those balcony people will have Noro Virus 22.7% more often than those who revel in the luxury of the Cat 11 & 12 suites!!??!!

CAT 11 SNOBS FOREVER!

...we found that we have to share the entire deck with those nasty balcony people.

Did you know that there are only handful of our beloved Cat 11 &12 suites on each ship so they spread them out around those pathetically small and unliveable balcony warrens!!???!!!

Until Carnival wakes up, and comes to its senses, by having Cat11 &12 suites on their own exclusive deck, with exclusive atrium elevator access, we are moving to a different line!!

And NO! we are not Cat 11 & 12 "snobs"....for us it is a health issue....statistics show that it is more likely that those balcony people will have Noro Virus 22.7% more often than those who revel in the luxury of the Cat 11 & 12 suites!!??!!

CAT 11 SNOBS FOREVER!

Very funny

CAT 11 SNOBS FOREVER!

And I'm booked in steerage for my next cruise... Just an O/V. No balconies on my deck!!! I may get off still healthy!!! Don't know what would happen if Mom got that N***V****! I won't even say that!!!

Snob I am not....I mentioned what a suite had to my mom (who is oging with me) and once I said whirlpool bathrub she told me we were booking a suite instead of a balcony....

It is costing considerably more, but I will look forward to the bigger room and larger balcony. As for Cat 9A cabins, I would rather be near the central atrium than the back of the ship. I have had a back of the ship cabin OV and I didn't mind it. I got lost all the time, so a central off the elevators is where I prefer....

Perhaps one day I'll go for a 9A, but I can safely say on rough sea nights you get some wild pitch and roll vs just roll if you are on either port/starboard side.....

I see there humor here!!!

I liked the additional room in the cabin and the priority embarkation personally....I AM NO SNOB, BTW....:)

Agree 100%.

Nope.. the bathtub and extra space is not worth the money.. I would rather pay for the 9A and have the balcony..:)

See below.

Spirit Class, Cat. 11 wraparound. End of story.

Is there any other? :D

Nope.. the bathtub and extra space is not worth the money.. I would rather pay for the 9A and have the balcony..:)

Absolutely agree, for the money would rather have a 9A, so we have become 9A snobs because that is all we book. We love the layout of the room and especially if the balcony happens to be an aft wrap.

WEjust had a CAT 11 on the Fantasy which I know is pretty much the equivalent of a regular balcony cabin on the other classes. My question is that actually true? I can book a reg balcony on the other classes and it be like what we had on the Fantasy? Also, what is an aft balcony and an aft wrap? Do they cost more? How do I know what ships have them and how do you request them? Are all afts wraps? Im confused. And isnt aft at the back?

Snob? My daughter says I'm a Slob.

We simply travel first class where ever we go.

Why? Because we can, that's why.

I can't wait to tell my daughter that because we cruise in a Cat 11 or 12 I may be a snob.

Very humorous :p If you think carnival is first class, you must not get out much :D

We've only had suites. Cat 11 on two previous Carnival and Mini on Princess and have a Cat 11 booked for our Nov 08 Glory cruise. We were actually looking at Miracle for Nov 08, but ruled it out when we couldn't get a suite because they were all sold out a year out, so we're going back on Glory, this time doing Western. We love the extra space, closets, tub w/shower and glass door, dressing/vanity area and double sinks. Not that we spend a huge amount of time in our cabin, but when we are there we want to enjoy it. We also like VIP boarding, even if it only saves a little time, we are sitting in an office and not standing in a line waiting.

Absolutely agree, for the money would rather have a 9A, so we have become 9A snobs because that is all we book. We love the layout of the room and especially if the balcony happens to be an aft wrap.

what is the 9a aft wrap...isnt the aft much rougher,sea wise..than mid ship//we have a chance to change to a 9a or 11 from reg. balcony not sure what to do

9A is a balcony room on the back corner of some ships. On others it is a Cat 11 wrap aft. the balcony goes around (or wraps around) the back corners of the ships. They are HUGE balconies which some people love. Like ME! Others just love the wake off the back and would do anything just to be back there. It is a matter of choice.

For us if we are taking our kids with us we like the suite it gives us more room and the balcony. Although I do like the idea of the kids in an inside room and us with a balcony, I'll have to check into the pricing on that one.:rolleyes: If it is just me and my husband we like the room with the balcony for longer cruises and and OV for shorter cruises. It really does have to do with how much the room is and for how long the cruise is. We really do like our balcony, I am an early riser and I enjoy going out on the balcony and reading while the others sleep. I don't know if this helped you any, I guess the bottom line is that if I had all the money in the world I would always get a suite!!:p:D

I don't think the OP meant to be offensive, just a poor choice of words, so no harm, no foul.

We have never had a Cat 11 Cabin, but we have one for our upcoming cruise in March, on Carnival Pride. This will be our second cruise on Pride. The first time, we had an awesome extended balcony (6232). DH thought he wouldn't care for cruising, but this cabin hooked him. Our next cruise was on Golden Princess. In order to get a couch (DH requirement now, after Pride), we had to get a minisuite. The mini on Golden had a tub. DH now wants a tub on a cruise, (along with a couch) because we only have a shower where we live. Hence, the Cat 11.

I have created a cruising monster. Lucky me!

Hey, what date are you leaving? We'll be on the Pride on March 16...???

To the OP: I'm one of those who has never even seen the inside of a Cat 11...or a Balcony at this point, although we are getting one for our Alaska cruise in 2009. My DH and I are perfectly happy with an inside or in this next case, OV cabin, because we are hardly ever in there, and would rather spend the extra money on excursions and souveniers. But to each his own...maybe someday we'll change our tune....:rolleyes:

I really like the idea of 2 rooms, one for me and my husband, and one for the kids, and it does come out cheaper than a suite. My only problem is, I'm looking for a 5 day cruise out of Galveston, Mobile, or New Orleans, and the only way to get a balcony is to get a suite. Bummer! I think we may have to suffer with inside or ocean views. My sister and her husband are taking their baby and would like to get a suite, but we have 3 kids so we have to make our money go further. We will not try a suite till kiddos are grown. btw, here are some words of advice: once you take your kids you will be taking them every time! We even tried to pull it off as our "anniversary" cruise, but the kids are still begging to go with us. We can't tell them no.

Archived