What is up with the inappropriate dress?

buddyjo143

I think that sometimes the good sense fairy just abandons people.

Flannel pants - not pajamas - have been popular here since the late 90s. I don't wear them out and about but I know many who do but I figure that many people think they are pjs since they are flannel.

I myself on a few occasions have walked up to the Lido to get coffee for my DH and myself in my pj's. I never really thought about it offending anyone as I am always completely covered. I see many people out and about where I live wearing their jammie bottoms. I don't think I could go out for the day wearing them though. To each their own I've always said.

I'm not talking about the whole formal night debate. I have just been wondering about the totally inappropriate for location dress that I have seen on cruise ships.

I just posted to the review on the Victory 12/23 sailing and I will quote myself ;)

"As far as how passengers dress, I find that there is something unique to cruises. People seem to think that it is o.k. to walk around in their pajamas, bathrobes and other garments that they normally wouldn't wear outside their bedroom. Some cruise passengers seem to think that the whole ship is an extension of their cabin and they dress accordingly."

We were on the NCL Gem recently and I can't tell you how many men, women and teens walked around in flannel lounging/pajama bottoms. I'd like to take credit for this quote but it comes from NHLady's husband, Bob: "I didn't think free-style meant no-style".

Comments, other observations?

I love NCL and I haven't ever seen any pj bottoms at dinner or in the later hours of the day. However, I guess true freestyle cruising means wear whatever you are comfortable in (to some people).

You'll have to forgive me, if it bugs anyone, but I must admit I am one who likes to wear sweatpants on days @ sea. I don't do it everyday, but for one day, or if I'm in a rush to go do something, I'll wear my sweatpants, a tank top, and either flip flops or sneakers. But, then again, this is an example of my day @ sea: wake up, breakfast, gym, shower, library (or any quiet place on the promenade deck) to get work (if I bring any onboard) done, stroll around, internet cafe, get ready for dinner & evening activities.

For me it's comfortable, and acceptable (although I do know some people consider sweatpants for indoors only) for the way I spend a day @ sea. I have seen some people running around in the plaid pj pants early morning or late evening with a t-shirt on, but it's only to either the internet cafe or the lido deck.

I know it's not easy to do, but if it really bothers you, why not tell someone, or the person straight out? There are general dress code suggestions for most ships as to what is appropriate and not for what parts of the ship and times (ex: on the lido deck the indoor buffet requires you to be fully clothed, bathing suits do not count as fully clothed) and if the staff agrees they will tell people about it (@ one point on my last cruise the crew at the lido buffet would tell you to cover up or leave if you came in plain bathing suit).

If I remember correctly, I read that one of the activities a group was going to do was a pub crawl while dressed in their pjs. I see it as a toga party, costume party kind of thing, so I'm okay with that.

I've seen people wearing their pajamas while outside at campsites, and I'm okay with that. Sitting around the campfire at night, leaving their site to use the public bathhouse, cooking breakfast in the early morning.

But I still do a double take when I see teens and adults wearing pj bottoms +/or slippers in retail stores :eek: .

Yes on the PJ party Pub crawl. Some of our group did it and had a great time and brought a smile to many peoples face. As you said...just like a toga party or a formal swimming pool party. (that's formal attire in the pool):D

As far as the bathrobe thing goes, I was on a HAL cruise and they did three US ports but had three other ports in between. That means up and down to the lounge at 7:00 AM for immigration. After being up til 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning I'd had enough. On the second and third 7:00AM immigration call I arrived in my bathrobe. I was not about to get dressed and then undressed to go back to bed.:p

Also I don't understand why the OP had to remit yet again a part of their review when it is already being read on that thread.....:confused:

I think a lot of you people need to get lives and stop worrying so much about what others wear....they are fully clothed so why do you care, you don't have to associate with them, how does it affect you exactly. Any of you ever think that people may be offended by your choice of dress...oh, sorry that can't be, since I am sure you are all to be envied your fashion sense.

I can't believe the pettiness that can be found on these boards!

My husband has a pair of these not pajamas (with Guiness printed all over them), he wants to wear them everywhere. I told him I wouldn't go with him if he wore them to the airport.....then found them in the catalog from the store he purchased them from - they are described as pajama pants. He wore his jeans....with that "your so uptight" look on his face. I agree with the posters that they are tacky, but you can wear whatever you want and I don't care, but you won't see me or mine wearing them anywhere but at home (at least when they are with me).

I also agree with the posters who love to people watch, and just get a chuckle if I see something I think is strange/different. BTW I would much rather see pj's then a speedo on anyone!

Not to draw attention to stereo types but when Carnival set out to be the low cost cruise line they brought in those that think a cruise ship is a really big RV and since they are on vacation they will act accordingly. I've not seen it this happen on HAL or X lines. Pay more for the ride you get a better rider. Personally this does not bother me. Sounds like a good idea to be as comfortable as possible when on vacation. Hey you pack less too which can be a good thing. Since Carnival quit enforcing their dress codes years ago would you expect less?

My teenagers have worn out PJ's only on a couple occasions away from the house. They wore them on an early flight(to a cruise no less) and a couple of trips to the grocery store on special occasions. Other than that, they really don't wear them out in public(movies & malls).

I think a lot of you people need to get lives and stop worrying so much about what others wear....they are fully clothed so why do you care, you don't have to associate with them, how does it affect you exactly. Any of you ever think that people may be offended by your choice of dress...oh, sorry that can't be, since I am sure you are all to be envied your fashion sense.

I can't believe the pettiness that can be found on these boards!

I personally don't think this has anything to do with people needing to get lives nor do I feel people are "worrying" about what others wear. It's simply an observation.

:o I am completely guilty of this. I do wear sweat pants (with no cuff on the bottom) and cotton pants all the time. I think that I picked this up from a childhood of swim team and a college life of working at a vets office. Typically, if I'm not at work, I wear cotton pants/jeans and a T-shirt. If we are going out to dinner I will wear jeans and a nice shirt. I just like to be comfortable, and don't really care what people think about me. I think it's a generation y thing, I'm 23. I was recently reading an article that stated that Generation Yers are likely to wear flip flops to work. I don't take it that far (corporate dress only), but to each his own.

It's a big fashion today that most stores sell pajama bottoms that teens and adults can wear out really casually. It never bugged me to see the pajama thing as long as it's not inappropriate and by that i mean that I don't see.....lolol. I've actually gotten up a morning or two when I wore sweat pants to sleep in and when I got up I wanted to grab food and sit on the balcony and we'd throw a sweatshirt on over it and bring stuff back down to our balcony so we can eat out there.

The way I see it, it's everyone's vacation and if they want to wear a bathrobe to breakfast or pajama bottoms makes them comfortable, then hey, go for it, won't phase me in the least! I'm there to enjoy, not care if your attire is my preference!

BE AND LET BE :)

I saw people in bathrobes frequently on our Triumph cruise in October, but I am pretty sure it was because they kept the ship so cold (especially the theatre) you could have hung meat in there. It was freezing. They were selling shawls in the giftshop for $10, I know I bought one, and it seemed as though just about everyone else did too.

I wore my bathrobe over my bathing suit to go to the hot tub. I never thought anything about it...but I will admit I did get a couple of weird looks...but if I just had on my bathing suit, I would have gotten weird looks too...We were on the Canada/ NE cruise and it was COLD!:p

Ok this takes me back to 1995....

I was on a business trip in NYC at the Marriott. I was leaving my room to meet

my co workers for breakfast. Well there was a man few doors came out to get

his news paper. All he had on was his BVDs. Well as he picked up the paper it fell apart. He bent over to pick it up the door shut behind him. Needless to say

he did not have a room key in his BVDs.

As I was waiting in the lobby for my co-workers to meet me. Here comes

Mr BVD now a newspaper coming to get a new key out of the elevator.

But I just don't think wearing PJ is every correct way to dress in public.

But with that said, we love watching folks on cruises and vacation. Its amazing sometime.... Plus is free entertainment.

I am a 25 year old female and i will have to say i some times wear my pjs in public. I have a couple of pairs that look like pants with pockets and all. This comes from the fact that I am a rad tech meaning I wear scrub pants all day and I also sleep in them so if you are on my sailing you could very possbility see me in scrub pants. I really do not think it is a big deal especially when you are on vac. as long as you are covered what does it matter. When it matters I will be dressed right but if it is early and i am going for a cup of coffee or late and just got done in the hot tub who knows what i will have on I will be covered up though.

I understand what you guys are saying and I agree for the most part. People should still dress like they are out in "public" on a cruise.

My question is what makes PJ bottoms PJs? I have several pair of pants that I bought in the PJ section of the department store that are black and navy blue. No pattern, no flannel, just plain solid colors. What makes the PJs and not pants are apparently the little bit of extra fabric and the drawstring waist. I find these pants more comfortable for me and I wear them with an actual clothing top, not a PJ top. Would that be offensive to you all?

The fashion fad that I'm absolutely over is those velour jogging suits that women wear that are in eye popping bright colors, expecially the hot pink ones. I think Jessica Simpson or JLo made them popular a few years back and now I see women all over town shopping in them. I just think they are ridiculous. Jogging outfit is one thing but the hot pink velour? And they are usually VERY tight. They look like they put their daughter's clothes on. That and Uggs boots have to go. (No mean to offend anyone who likes that stuff, I promise. I admitted I wear PJs out of the house so I'm not fashion icon myself).

I always find it amazing how many people worry about what other people do. It is almost as if they are jealous that other people do things that they themselves would not.

I cannot believe in this day and age there is anyone who really cares what particular style of cloth someone decided to encase their body in. As if there is some real difference between that particular cloth and this particular cloth and how that particular cloth is so much more enticing, appropriate, appealing ad nauseum.

If you do not wish to adorn yourself in a particular type of cloth, then don't! Why some feel the need to disparage others choices is beyond me.

If I do {whatever} this way, then it is the right way and if others do not do the same they must be {insert whatever disparaging term here}!

Cheers,

Peter

What is really sad is seeing people wear things that they thinks is "cool" or "gangster" when it really isn't. Young black males with the short board-brim cap turned sideways, baggy pants with the waistline down around their thighs, oversized t-shirt down to the knees, and then all the "bling" with chains around their neck. If only they could step outside their own little world and realize how stupid they look. I laugh at them, b/c it is so sad. Can anyone explain why it is so "cool" or desirable to dress this way? If they wear their pants normally, are their friends gonna make fun of them?

What is really sad is seeing people wear things that they thinks is "cool" or "gangster" when it really isn't. Young black males with the short board-brim cap turned sideways, baggy pants with the waistline down around their thighs, oversized t-shirt down to the knees, and then all the "bling" with chains around their neck. If only they could step outside their own little world and realize how stupid they look. I laugh at them, b/c it is so sad. Can anyone explain why it is so "cool" or desirable to dress this way? If they wear their pants normally, are their friends gonna make fun of them?

Actually male teens of all types wear those things.

Why is it "cool" they think?? Well let's see, probably the same reason that in the 50's, poodleskirts, leather jackets, tight pants & sweaters and saddle shoes were in. In the 60's, it was the dress of the flower children and the mini skirts that many thought were indecent...lol. In the 70's, let us not forget the polyester everything, the really ugly mix and match of colors and patterns, the platform shoes. In the 80's, we all had big hair (with a comb in the back pocket) leg warmers, bleached & ripped jeans and sunglasses at night. In the 90's tattoo's (which I love) and piercings exploded, large oversized clothes started, lots of the retro-fashions came back and just about anything was ok to wear.

Point, every decade brings new trends. I always find it funny that people laugh or make fun of trends today when just a few decades ago, it was us that were getting laughed at from our "elders" for thinking we were cool. (not saying anyone's old, just older than the trend setters)

OKay now I'm a bit worried and not sure I've packed "appropriatly for our cruise in 3 days. We're doing a small HOLIDAY trip out of Mobile down o Cozumel. I'm expecting it to be warm and beautiful, however I"m the kind of person who loves to just sit on the deck in a lounge chair and enjoy a good book while watching the ocean and hearing the waves, and yeah a little people watching too. Even though I'm expecting great weather, I also thought the deck would be windy and cool especially in he evenings? So I have packed one of my "fleece" type sweasuits to wear. They sell these in the active wear/misses section of the dept. stores, it's sort of a matching pant and jacket thing. While for me it's way to warm to acually sleep in....i have teased at home that i feel like I"m in my jammies all day when i wear it.

Okay I"M a 40 year old mom, traveling alone with her 18 year yr old son. I don't want to look sleazy or trashy, just wanted something comfy and warm to wear lounging in a chair relaxing.

So is the oufit a keeper...or do I need to repack?

:confused:

If you don't like the way people dress then don't leave your house.

What is acceptable for one group of people isn't for another. If Carnival allows it then quit complaining.

I'd rather see inappropriate dress (as long as what needs to be covered is) than a bunch of fat people with thier bellies hangin so low over thier suits that you can't even tell they are wearing one :eek:

Archived