QV is no liner

Navaleye

It's hard to explain. It's about the power of her engines. It's about appreciating what this magnificent ship can do. Those of us who love her are very proud of what she can do.

Would you rather have a glorious gallop on a sleek, beautiful horse or a bumpy walk on a pokey mule?

Kathy

Hear hear.

Matthew

My drawers generally don't fall "out," even when I heave (which, fortunately, has been a rarity since college days...) I guess they could fall down, but you all might not like the visual of drawers falling down while heaving is occuring....

Andrew

My drawers generally don't fall "out," even when I heave (which, fortunately, has been a rarity since college days...) I guess they could fall down, but you all might not like the visual of drawers falling down while heaving is occuring....

Andrew

Well, someone is in rare form today! This was even better than the cabbage post!

Kathy

p.s. Are you going to add a joke to more posts, or may I go back to work now? ;)

I'm somewhat confused by those posting from QE2 - Since you love being on her so very much, why do you want to speed to NY?

Because its her very essence. She's an Express liner. The last one of a long line of real Queens from various countries and over 100 years. She's designed (and was re-designed) to maintain 28.5 knots all day, and all night, all the way to New York in 4 or 5 days. Even QM2 wasn't designed to do that. And she's got less than a year left, and yet is fighting fit. Its an amazing time. The more time goes on, the more I think Cunard have been short-sighted.

The more time goes on, the more I think Cunard have been short-sighted.

Much as I love the QE2, I feel differently.

• For an express liner she is fantastically old - most never made it past their mid-twenties - the QE2 is bowing out in her late thirties.
  • She has sailed further than anything, ever. And that's a record she is likely to maintain for the foreseeable future - certainly further than the QM2, which will probably come a distant second.
  • But she is very old - has major work due this November, and very major surgery due in 2010.
  • As a Carnival shareholder, I think Carnival have done the right thing - she's making more money being sold now for $100million, than there is any likelihood of her making going forward, what with the expense involved in her upkeep, and newer, shinier competition.

She was built as a machine to make money - and that is how she is ending her days - gloriously!

Peter

I can see the economic argument.

I can see the engineering argument.

But, when all is said and done, the ship I am sailing on is the last liner with a soul.

And that means that November 2008 will be tragic in so may ways. I can't believe that she'll be gone this time next year, but gone she will.

We shall not see her like again.

Matthew

I can see the economic argument.

I can see the engineering argument.

But, when all is said and done, the ship I am sailing on is the last liner with a soul.

And that means that November 2008 will be tragic in so may ways. I can't believe that she'll be gone this time next year, but gone she will.

We shall not see her like again.

Matthew

AMEN

Kathy

For what it is worth, Captain Wright said a couple of times last week (after we had passed through some pretty rough weather) that he and his fellow officers had been very impressed with how the QV had coped - this being its first proper test of severe conditions.

John

Well he would say that wouldn't he?

David.

• 3 weeks later...
Well he would say that wouldn't he?

David.

He may as well have said "thank God she didn't break apart in these seas!" Carnivore/Cunard is setting a new standard for trans-Atlantic travel. " We are damn slow, but look at all the balconies!" QV looks like a Miami condominium complex cast adrift by some huge wave. I have seen the future, and it is ugly and slow.

^ You don't take into effect that QV is not meant to be an express liner, do you? She is not going to be doing TAs cosistently like the QE2 or QM2, and therefore does not need the extra speed.

I for one think we should stop splitting hairs on the QV subject, and call her a 'cruise liner'.... that should please everyone? She is a cruise ship with liner-esque features..

Plus, call it what you want, but without 'Carnivore', Cunard would be on its death bed, remember that, just my two cents.

without 'Carnivore', Cunard would be on its death bed

No. Cunard would be long dead. There would be no QM2, no QV and the QE2 would be a museum or scrapped, as a failed business, more likely the latter.

Arison bought Cunard because he wanted to build a 21st Century Trans Atlantic Express Liner - at the time he did QE2 was losing money and it needed someone with VERY deep pockets to take on that money pit, turn it around, AND build the most expensive passenger liner ever.

So repeat after me, no Carnival, no Cunard, no QM2, no QE2 and no QV. Some people are such ingrates!

Peter

Archived