If You "Debark" When You Get Off The Ship, Do You "Bark" When You Get On?

ChevyCruiser

I laugh everytime I see someone use "debarkation" on these boards, I always picture them getting on the ship and barking all the way up the gangway.:p

Sorry, but I can't help myself. However, those who write debarkation probably won't know "witch";) is correct anyway.

Don't you just love the English language? Reminds me of that book titled "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves"

I can't remember barking but I do tend to howl alot.:D There are several little quirks in the English language that make little or no sense, especially in weather jargon. Be honest, is an upper level low an oxymoron?

I laugh everytime I see someone use "debarkation" on these boards, I always picture them getting on the ship and barking all the way up the gangway.:p

Sorry, but I can't help myself. However, those who write debarkation probably won't know "witch";) is correct anyway.

Don't you just love the English language? Reminds me of that book titled "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves"

Oh to be perfect....oh and by the way...either is correct;)

debarkation

nounthe act of passengers and crew getting off of a ship or aircraft [ant: boarding]

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

Actually, "debark" is the more correct term. It is from Latin roots. "Bark" in this case means ship or vessel, not the sound a dog makes or the outer covering of trees. To "embark" means to go into ("em") a ship ("bark"). To leave a ship is to "debark"; de- ("go out of") a ship ("bark").

"Disembark" is redundant. It means to not/opposite ("dis") go into ("em") a ship ("bark"). Through constant usage, "disembark" has become synonymous with "debark" but it's really more in the line of saying "notboard" an aircraft instead of "exit" (or "deplane" which you sometimes hear, and which has nothing to do with Fantasy Island). :D

Is it important? Not really. But, "debark" is the more "correct" term.

Dave

Actually, "debark" is the more correct term. It is from Latin roots. "Bark" in this case means ship or vessel, not the sound a dog makes or the outer covering of trees. To "embark" means to go into ("em") a ship ("bark"). To leave a ship is to "debark"; de- ("go out of") a ship ("bark").

"Disembark" is redundant. It means to not/opposite ("dis") go into ("em") a ship ("bark"). Through constant usage, "disembark" has become synonymous with "debark" but it's really more in the line of saying "notboard" an aircraft instead of "exit" (or "deplane" which you sometimes hear, and which has nothing to do with Fantasy Island). :D

Is it important? Not really. But, "debark" is the more "correct" term.

Dave

Sounds like a job for the Department of Redundancy Department.

Is it important? Not really. But, "debark" is the more "correct" term.]

Both debark and disembark are equally correct. I think that which you choose to use may depend on where in the world you come from.

Raised in the UK and now living in New Zealand, I have always used "disembark" and had to look at the dictionary to check what "debark" meant (to me, it meant removing the bark from a tree or log). I note, however, that the majority of posters from the US tend to use "debark".

Maybe it's one more example of the different word usage between US- English and English-English - as in sidewalk/ pavement, trunk/ boot etc.

• Administrators

Many English words have their origin in other languages. "Embark" comes from the French verb "embarquer," which in turn derived from the word "barque," a word with Latin origins meaning a small ship (per http://www.wordwizard.com, my favorite site when I find myself wondering "why DO we say it that way?") Per the same site, "disembark" came from "disembarquer."

Not sure if this thread is stressing me out or distressing me, either way I am enjoying it.:)

All I know is - when I go Cruising I go ON and when I finish Cruising I get OFF.;) I must be barking mad not to just stay Cruising!:D

Not sure if this thread is stressing me out or distressing me, either way I am enjoying it.:)

All I know is - when I go Cruising I go ON and when I finish Cruising I get OFF.;) I must be barking mad not to just stay Cruising!:D

OMG! ROTFL

Archived