If You "Debark" When You Get Off The Ship, Do You "Bark" When You Get On?

ChevyCruiser

I love this, but it just goes to prove we all have way too much time on hands wait to cruise again............................

Oh, and I know which is port and starboard now....port has 4 letters, just like left, so starboard must be right..... So there!

I was taught that Port is an alcohol drink, and to drink is wrong, so it can't be right, so port must be left.

Of course then I have a drink and forget the whole thing.;)

I was taught that Port is an alcohol drink, and to drink is wrong, so it can't be right, so port must be left.

I have to agree with you!!....

Fancy meeting you here Learner Lori Ozzle-Glew-Who

Just keep your drink in your left hand and you'll know which side is port. Of course, this assumes you know which end is the bow. ;)

Didn't George Carlin entertain millions with this schtick? He didn't want to get ON the plane, he'd prefer to get IN the plane, etc., etc., etc..

LOL! My favorite from him was when he said that the stewardess made an announcement that "anything you may have brought with you should be stowed underneath your seats or in the overhead bins". Then he says, "Well, I MAY have brought my arrowhead collection, but I didn't" LOL!!:D :D

Sounds like a job for the Department of Redundancy Department.

Actually, I think that's where I'm working now ... I think!

Many, many years ago, I worked in a lumber mill in Oregon, and part of the process was to take the bark off the logs before sawing them into boards. What was the thing called that took the bark off the logs? A barker! (Not a debarker, or a disembarker, or a dedisembarker-thingy).

(Come to think of it, "barker" sounds like a small hyperactive dog, ... or the host of the Price is Right...) :D

Dave

I love this, but it just goes to prove we all have way too much time on hands wait to cruise again............................

Oh, and I know which is port and starboard now....port has 4 letters, just like left, so starboard must be right..... So there!

Another way to remember it is the saying "The ship left port". I guess you could say the ship embarked on it's next leg. Oh no, Not again.

Dare I ask and show my ignorance - what does ROTFL mean? please.:D

Does it mean " Ran Out To Find Land"? If I don't see land I must be cruising out there somewhere.;)

As they say, the only stupid question is the un-asked one.

ROTFL Rolling on the floor laughing!

Every time I hear the cruise director say that we'll have a meeting on debarking, I think about what people soemtimes do to yappy dogs. The vet can "de-bark" them so they only make a smaller noise, like a cough. I have Shelties and it is a common procedure for them. I have a rescue Sheltie that was de-barked before I got him. Good thing, too -- he is quite the watch dog, even when there is nothing to watch!

Either one may be correct, but this one makes me laugh!

I have a stomache from laughing so hard. If I didn't love reading this goofy stuff, I'd ask you to stop.

BTW, I have six barkers, if anyone needs one. Just ring my doorbell and you'll see.

I guess lumbermen speak their own language, just like we do.

Now that we have port and starboard figured out, do you know which has the red light and which the green?

That should set off another round of silliness. :eek:

As they say, the only stupid question is the un-asked one.

ROTFL Rolling on the floor laughing!

Thanks. I asked my teenage daughter when she came home from school what it meant and, of course she knew. Some of us moms are sooo slow at picking up these new fandangled expressions!:D

I have a stomache from laughing so hard. If I didn't love reading this goofy stuff, I'd ask you to stop.

BTW, I have six barkers, if anyone needs one. Just ring my doorbell and you'll see.

I guess lumbermen speak their own language, just like we do.

Now that we have port and starboard figured out, do you know which has the red light and which the green?

That should set off another round of silliness. :eek:

What about the amber light? If you don't have amber you can't get ready to go or stop so what do you do?

BTW doesn't Port come in a green bottle, so maybe the green light is for port side!:D And maybel if you drink too much port you see stars, therefore red has to be for starboard.:D

Anymore drinking (oops I mean maritime) questions anyone.:p

Ever wonder where the terms starboard and port come from? Oh and in here somewhere is the green/red answer. ;)

From Wikipedia:

The origin of the term starboard comes from old boating practices. Before ships had rudders on their centerline, they were steered by use of a specialized oar. This oar was held by a cocksman located towards the stern (back) of the ship. However, like most of the rest of society, there were many more right-handed sailors than left-handed sailors. This meant that the right-handed sailors holding the steering oar (which had been broadened to provide better control) used to stand on the right side of the ship. The word starboard comes from Old English steorbord, literally meaning the side on which the ship is steered. The old English term steorbord descends from the Old Norse words stýri meaning “rudder” and borð meaning “side of a ship”. The modern term "steering wheel" comes from the same language root as "starboard" or "steer board".

Similarly, the term for the left side of the boat, port, is derived from the practice of sailors mooring on the left side (i.e., the larboard or loading side) as to prevent the steering boards from being crushed. Because the words larboard and starboard sounded too similar to be easily distinguished, larboard was changed to port.

The starboard side of a vessel is indicated with a green navigation light at night.

Easy way to remember "starboard" vs. "port":

• All are longer words ("starboard", "right", and "green") while other side are shorter words ("port", "left", and "red")

The starboard side of most naval vessels the world over is designated the 'senior' side. The officers' gangway or sea ladder is shipped on this side and this side of the quarterdeck is reserved for the captain. The flag or pennant of the ship's captain or senior officer in command is generally hoist on the starboard yard.

Ever wonder where the terms starboard and port come from? Oh and in here somewhere is the green/red answer. ;)

From Wikipedia:

The origin of the term starboard comes from old boating practices. Before ships had rudders on their centerline, they were steered by use of a specialized oar. This oar was held by a cocksman located towards the stern (back) of the ship. However, like most of the rest of society, there were many more right-handed sailors than left-handed sailors. This meant that the right-handed sailors holding the steering oar (which had been broadened to provide better control) used to stand on the right side of the ship. The word starboard comes from Old English steorbord, literally meaning the side on which the ship is steered. The old English term steorbord descends from the Old Norse words stýri meaning “rudder” and borð meaning “side of a ship”. The modern term "steering wheel" comes from the same language root as "starboard" or "steer board".

Similarly, the term for the left side of the boat, port, is derived from the practice of sailors mooring on the left side (i.e., the larboard or loading side) as to prevent the steering boards from being crushed. Because the words larboard and starboard sounded too similar to be easily distinguished, larboard was changed to port.

The starboard side of a vessel is indicated with a green navigation light at night.

Easy way to remember "starboard" vs. "port":

• All are longer words ("starboard", "right", and "green") while other side are shorter words ("port", "left", and "red")

The starboard side of most naval vessels the world over is designated the 'senior' side. The officers' gangway or sea ladder is shipped on this side and this side of the quarterdeck is reserved for the captain. The flag or pennant of the ship's captain or senior officer in command is generally hoist on the starboard yard.

Now we're all really confused:confused: ;) :D

This brings up a memory of one of my Granddaughters. I was babysitting her and was at my computer. She came up and whispered in my ear which I thought was unusual since we were home alone. Being that she was almost 4 I thought "this should be something". She then said "Can you tell me what a poop deck is".

What about the amber light? If you don't have amber you can't get ready to go or stop so what do you do?

BTW doesn't Port come in a green bottle, so maybe the green light is for port side!:D And maybel if you drink too much port you see stars, therefore red has to be for starboard.:D

Anymore drinking (oops I mean maritime) questions anyone.:p

You obviously need another glass of port.

DH uses a term for seasickness which, I think, came from his Navy days. Visiting Ralph O'Rourke. Anyone else ever hear this?

All I know is - when I go Cruising I go ON and when I finish Cruising I get OFF

Going ON a cruise is easy, but getting off is another story ~ they have to pry my fingers off the balcony railing and drag me OFF kicking and screaming.....I mean BARKING.:D

Archived