Has anyone attempted to dispute the fuel surcharge on their Credit Card?

Palm_trees

A relative is cruising in February and is hopping mad about the new fuel surcharge that was added to her ticket price after she gave a final payment in November. The cruiseline just went ahead and charged her American Express Card the fuel surcharge amount. Because so much money has been paid already for airfare and hotel in Miami, cancelling the cruise seemed impractical.

What she is thinking of doing is go ahead and go on the cruise and then when she returns dispute the fuel surcharge on her American Express. She has a number of legal opinions that the fuel surcharge is illegal because of an agreement many cruise lines made with the Attorney General of Florida. I understand that there are already lawsuits about the surcharge and a new attorney general investigation. Maybe the cruise line would not fight the dispute because of the iffy legal right they have to charge the surcharge.

Have you heard about any body disputing the surcharge on their credit card after they returned from the ship?

I have not heard of anyone disputing the fuel surcharge after a cruise--probably because the surcharge does not take effect until next month.

I would not try this tactic. Credit card companies don't like when cardholders file false disputes. Even though your relative could have made the final payment in November, I bet it was before the final payment date for her cruise. She could have received a full refund. That's the argument the cruise companies will make. Plus all the other legal mumbo jumbo that most people don't bother to read.

As a prior American Express credit card dispute rep, I can tell you that we did NOT base any dispute outcome and decide legal issues such as this. Either the charge was agreed to or not, if it is charged back, then your relative will have a problem with any future cruises with Royal Caribbean.

I know some merchants such as the phone company will also report the charge back to your credit as an unpaid debt that you failed to pay. I doubt RCL would do this.

The outcome often is determined by such things as the merchants reply did not get back to American Express in the allotted time, so there is often a chargeback. The CM (card member) then thinks that American Express decided that the charge was wrong. There is a reason that American Express says back "the credit will remain on your account" when you win a dispute without saying why.

You might win the dispute, but ruin your credit with Royal Caribbean.

disputing a charge because of what someone thinks is legal grounds, this is the wrong venue. People such as myself just look at if the charge was ok'd by the CM or not. RCL sends in the information that the CM was notified in time to cancel, the CM is now in the wrong, its up to the CM to hire a lawyer, join a class action suit or however to determine if the charge is legal, American Express will not.

by going on the cruise when the CM knew of the fuel surcharge, they have implicitly agreed to the charge.

I agree with the other posters. If she wants to dispute it, she should have when it was originally charged. Also, and firefly will probably know this for sure...I believe your chargeback needs to be done within a certain period of time. Too many people tend to put chargebacks through after a vacation ( I used to handle the chargebacks at an agency I worked for.) As firefly stated...usually it is won because the company did not reply within a given time period. Believe me, company's take chargebacks very seriously (it effects the amount of credit that can be received). If she ever needs to dispute something for a valid reason this chargeback will be noted on her record and she may not be taken as seriously when she really needs it.

Bottom line, she was given a choce to cancel, which RCCL can prove, and she chose not to. End of dispute.

I'm not aware yet of an official investigation by Florida's Attorney General. I hope there will be one, but currently nothing is listed on the web site.

I'd expect that she'd have no grounds to dispute the charge on her card since she agreed to it and would have actually taken the cruise. However, she should file a complaint with Florida's AG office. I cannot believe that these fuel surcharges comply with the requirements outlined after the port charge debacle.

You know, my fuel surcharge for my upcoming cruise was $70. Is that so much that someone would risk their credit with the cruiseline for future sailings to have the charge removed? I mean, I can understand the charges myself. Heck, these days everytime I fill up my truck, I about fall over when I see the total. Go on the cruise....understand it is not the cruiselines fault that fuel prices are so high, then curse Exxon Mobile the next time they announce their profit earnings!

One thing I can understand and how it would be a bit frustrating, is having the price of the cruise change after you have already made a deposit...even if it is a fuel surcharge.

Since cruise prices change up and down all the time, the cruiselines should just adjust the listed price for the cruise accordingly to cover all costs. I mean, if fuel prices go back down before I sail, will I get the surcharge refunded? Certainly not. What is beef prices were to suddenly rise? Would there be a beef surcharge imposed? :eek:

Just my thoughts....

A relative is cruising in February and is hopping mad about the new fuel surcharge that was added to her ticket price after she gave a final payment in November. The cruiseline just went ahead and charged her American Express Card the fuel surcharge amount. Because so much money has been paid already for airfare and hotel in Miami, cancelling the cruise seemed impractical.

What she is thinking of doing is go ahead and go on the cruise and then when she returns dispute the fuel surcharge on her American Express. She has a number of legal opinions that the fuel surcharge is illegal because of an agreement many cruise lines made with the Attorney General of Florida. I understand that there are already lawsuits about the surcharge and a new attorney general investigation. Maybe the cruise line would not fight the dispute because of the iffy legal right they have to charge the surcharge.

Have you heard about any body disputing the surcharge on their credit card after they returned from the ship?

I personally don't have a problem paying the fuel surcharge. I've cruised many times over the last several years and have paid approx. the same price for each cruise, even though I'm paying much more for gas these days. I don't feel that it is unreasonable (JMHO).

However, if you read the details on the surcharge (summarized from CC news article below) , it states that it effects bookings made on or after 12/1/07. the OP stated that the cruise was paid in full in NOVEMBER '07. It appears that she was charged the fuel surcharge in error! Under those circumstances, I think I'd fight it too. It certainly made me check my credit card, since I also paid in full in November for my Feb. cruise. Luckily, I don't have anything to dispute.

Has your relative called NCL to report the error??? Read them their press release and point out that the cruise was paid before the cut off date. Why not try to resolve the issue with them before contacting the credit card company?

It's a shame that people are letting the fuel supplements ruin their experience. Rising costs affect everyone and just about everything we buy/use. It's a fact of life and we just have to live with it. No point in letting it spoil an otherwise wonderful vacation! :)

Norwegian Cruise Line

star2.bmpThe Surcharge: Norwegian Cruise Line's fuel surcharge will be $7 per person, per day, for the first and second guests in the stateroom and $3 per person, per day, for any additional cruisers.

star2.bmpWho's Affected: The surcharge is effective on all new NCL and NCL America bookings made on or after December 1, 2007.

katier825, maybe its in the OPs signature and I have signature's blocked is why I cant see which cruiseline the OP is referring to.

If the OP's friends should not have been charged and are going on NCL then I dont see why they dont take it up directly with NCL instead of waiting until after the cruise.

RCL it would depend on what date the final payment was made if the surcharge is due or not per RCL's site. For Carnival they hit everyone, paid in full or not that has booked 2/1/08 or thereafter.

I reread the OPs post and dont see NCL mentioned is why I asked where you see its NCL. Just curious as it would make a difference.

Has she tried communicating directly with the crusie line first? I believe that is a condition for most chargebacks, that you try to resolve it with the company prior to filing the claim. I personally would try that first.

But honestly, I think they have to charge it because of the price of fuel these days.

katier825, maybe its in the OPs signature and I have signature's blocked is why I cant see which cruiseline the OP is referring to.

If the OP's friends should not have been charged and are going on NCL then I dont see why they dont take it up directly with NCL instead of waiting until after the cruise.

RCL it would depend on what date the final payment was made if the surcharge is due or not per RCL's site. For Carnival they hit everyone, paid in full or not that has booked 2/1/08 or thereafter.

I reread the OPs post and dont see NCL mentioned is why I asked where you see its NCL. Just curious as it would make a difference.

I thought I was on the NCL board! :eek: So sorry! Must have NCL on the brain due to my own cruise!

Regardless, she should still verify their surcharge policy and take it up with the cruiseline first if she falls within the range.

What ever they call it , it is a fare increase. They failed to pay attention to the fuel futures and now they ask customers to pay for their mistake.

They are so intent on showing how cheap their fares are that they got burnt. Food has gone up and there is not a surcharge on that. Believe me the interest that they make on you cruise deposits pays for a lot of fuel..

Like any good business that would publish a price a year early and take a deposit, you owe it to your customers

to honor that price...

My family and I are having that same exact problem with our Crown Princess Cruise in Feb 08. And thats four of us- so it does add up. I completely understand about fuel costs, and I usually wouldn't mind paying it...

But I have to agree with the people on the argument that we signed up for the cruise MANY MONTHS AGO and actually PAID IN FULL. It was such a great price at the time and its really more the principal than anything. If they really want that money from us, I say people that booked before a certain point then pay it but get that money in SHIPBOARD CREDIT or drinks credit or something, so the boat is still taking the money, but not screwing the people that bought well before fuel prices spiked big time.

My father tried many times talking to all levels of Princess Cruises on this and they really don't give two sh*ts about it.

With the economy how it is, with travel how it is, it really doesn't pay to aggitate customers who bought so far in advance.

I'm stinkin' mad

ps- we're leaving out of San Juan not Florida, what does that mean for us in fighting it?

ps- we're leaving out of San Juan not Florida, what does that mean for us in fighting it?

I think if there is a class action law suit in the future, the settlement would takes years and have no effect on where your cruise left from. Im leaving from Galveston on the two cruises I had booked with Carnival I got hit on. I had them booked for a long time. I dont think this thread is about if people think the fuel surcharges are right or wrong, the OP was asking if we thought filing a claim with her credit card company was a good way to fight this charge.

If the OP's friends thought they had a leg to stand on they would file the dispute now with their credit card company. They obviously know the cruiseline is unwilling to not charge them the surcharge and allow them to board the ship, thats why they are saying they want to wait until they get back to file the dispute with Amex to me. I just think Amex is the wrong way to fight the surcharge which is a legal dispute not a credit card issue or a billing issue.

I checked with my friends on this issue since I wrote the orginal posting a few days ago. Here is what they had to say.

They thought that the cruiseline would cancel their cruise if they successfully disputed the fuel surcharge BEFORE the ship left, which would cost them all kinds of money in lost Airline tickets and other expenses. Because of all their prepayments, cancelling the cruise would be not practical.

Because of the rules of the Credit Card they still can dispute the charges after they return.

If the dispute is settled on the side of passenger, they would be happy but are concerned the cruise line would then try billing them and if they refused to pay, it could end up on their credit report.

As with everyone else they view it as the principal of the thing. What if someone had purchased a television set with Best Buy and paid for it in full, but it had not delivered yet. Just before they were going to deliver it, Best Buy calls and says that because it costs the company so much to drive around town, they will now require a $75 fuel surcharge to get the TV. Would that be fair?

My friends were thinking of a way that the little guy can fight back and show the Cruiseline that what they did was unfair and maybe illegal.

I checked with my friends on this issue since I wrote the orginal posting a few days ago. Here is what they had to say.

They thought that the cruiseline would cancel their cruise if they successfully disputed the fuel surcharge BEFORE the ship left, which would cost them all kinds of money in lost Airline tickets and other expenses. Because of all their prepayments, cancelling the cruise would be not practical.

Because of the rules of the Credit Card they still can dispute the charges after they return.

If the dispute is settled on the side of passenger, they would be happy but are concerned the cruise line would then try billing them and if they refused to pay, it could end up on their credit report.

As with everyone else they view it as the principal of the thing. What if someone had purchased a television set with Best Buy and paid for it in full, but it had not delivered yet. Just before they were going to deliver it, Best Buy calls and says that because it costs the company so much to drive around town, they will now require a $75 fuel surcharge to get the TV. Would that be fair?

My friends were thinking of a way that the little guy can fight back and show the Cruiseline that what they did was unfair and maybe illegal.

Thats what I figured, they knew they could not board the ship if they were not fully paid up....so they want to stick Amex with the problem. If its the principle why stick some other company with the cost of the problem?? I know what it costs on average to process each dispute and it adds up and this is a legal issue that will NOT be resolved by Amex. I still have friends in Disputes so I guess I know how tired we all got of CMs who think Amex should eat charges they dont like (for whatever reason) as if its Amex's fault.

If its truly the principle, how is sticking Amex (who issued a earnings warning today because they have more and more deadbeats lately) with the cost of processing a dispute that Amex cannot possibly resolve legally. They could write off the charge or charge back the merchant for other reasons, but will not decide if charging a fuel surcharge is legal or not. I think your friends are just trying to pass the buck so Amex has to eat the charges. If your friends dispute the charge a few times Amex will probably write off the charge because its costing them more than the amount of the disputes charge, that doesnt mean your friends stood up for any principle, it means they passed the buck and stuck some other merchant with their bill AFTER they went on their cruise.

Yes, I am still loyal to Amex, I admit it. People just expect us to remove charges as if they are going to dissapear into thin air, they dont realize either Amex has to eat the charges or they have to be charged back putting your friends at risk in the future with any cruise on that cruiseline thereafter. Your friends wouldnt be the first or last to expect Amex to eat their charges, just irratates me that folks dont think they should pay the charges they know they were billed which were correctly billed. I hope your friends find another way other than to stick Amex.

I have not heard of anyone disputing the fuel surcharge after a cruise--probably because the surcharge does not take effect until next month.

I would not try this tactic. Credit card companies don't like when cardholders file false disputes. Even though your relative could have made the final payment in November, I bet it was before the final payment date for her cruise. She could have received a full refund. That's the argument the cruise companies will make. Plus all the other legal mumbo jumbo that most people don't bother to read.

I don't think it will hurt to dispute it. That does not mean she will get her money back though.

Yes, I am still loyal to Amex, I admit it. People just expect us to remove charges as if they are going to dissapear into thin air, they dont realize either Amex has to eat the charges or they have to be charged back putting your friends at risk in the future with any cruise on that cruiseline thereafter. Your friends wouldnt be the first or last to expect Amex to eat their charges, just irratates me that folks dont think they should pay the charges they know they were billed which were correctly billed. I hope your friends find another way other than to stick Amex.

I had my Amex identity stolen by gypsies and Amex ate or canceled about $14,000 dollars in airfare charges by those people. I've been a loyal customer for a long long time.

The fuel surcharge I put right in there with that $50 per person Alaskan cruise ship passenger tax, something the line couldn't reasonably predict, I'm sure they absorbed a lot of increased fuel cost before they went to the surcharge, as I'm sure they knew the negative impact that would have.

well i think it really is the point here, and not a "if its a really big deal, don't cruise"

I'm obviously paying it, not fighting with my credit card company because I don't want to stick it to them,

but I completely agree with someone who said its like buying a tv and having it shipped later, and then fuel charges go up and they say....well now shipping costs this and therefore you need to pay it....but you still want the tv...so you pay it

but that doesn't mean your still not mad

and your mad at the company that sold it to you awhile ago

I agree that everyone needs to speak up a little more here....yes we are paying it....but how they went about it....they need to recognize how pissed everyone is and how it is technically not allowed...small writing probably covers their butts....but someone HAS to be an advocate here

its just not fair. if they can do it here, they can apply this to many other things

My plane ticket didn't go up....and I know that for a fact would be hit by the fuel costs....

Thats what I figured, they knew they could not board the ship if they were not fully paid up....so they want to stick Amex with the problem. If its the principle why stick some other company with the cost of the problem?? I know what it costs on average to process each dispute and it adds up and this is a legal issue that will NOT be resolved by Amex. I still have friends in Disputes so I guess I know how tired we all got of CMs who think Amex should eat charges they dont like (for whatever reason) as if its Amex's fault.

If its truly the principle, how is sticking Amex (who issued a earnings warning today because they have more and more deadbeats lately) with the cost of processing a dispute that Amex cannot possibly resolve legally. They could write off the charge or charge back the merchant for other reasons, but will not decide if charging a fuel surcharge is legal or not. I think your friends are just trying to pass the buck so Amex has to eat the charges. If your friends dispute the charge a few times Amex will probably write off the charge because its costing them more than the amount of the disputes charge, that doesnt mean your friends stood up for any principle, it means they passed the buck and stuck some other merchant with their bill AFTER they went on their cruise.

I bought a dress on Ebay and disputed this with Paypal because I never received the dress. The seller gave Paypal a number from the Post office that showed the post office delivered a package to my town but not my zip code and claimed this "proved" the seller had sent me the dress.

so I contacted the post office to see where this dress was delivered and I learned from them that no record of address is recorded at the delivery just the zipcode-unless the sender pays extra for a a signature delivery. The post office also said it was highly unlikely that it had simply been delivered to the wrong address because mail is bundled by zipcode. The post office sdid it could be mistakenly delivered to the wrong address within the SAME zipcode -but a differant zipcode- unlikely. Even though I forwarded the post office's response to Pay pal-they still stood by their decision.

so I opened a dispute with American Express and they could do nothing-they said my gripe was with Paypal and the seller on Ebay not them. so that is why I said it doe snot hurt to open a dispute but that does not mean you will get your money back.

Amercian Express is not going to refund money just because you have been treated unfairly by seller. If they did that I guess they would go bankrupt.

I had my Amex identity stolen by gypsies and Amex ate or canceled about $14,000 dollars in airfare charges by those people. I've been a loyal customer for a long long time.

The fuel surcharge I put right in there with that $50 per person Alaskan cruise ship passenger tax, something the line couldn't reasonably predict, I'm sure they absorbed a lot of increased fuel cost before they went to the surcharge, as I'm sure they knew the negative impact that would have.

a stolen credit card or credit card number is ENTIRELY differant.

What ever they call it , it is a fare increase. They failed to pay attention to the fuel futures and now they ask customers to pay for their mistake.
Actually, they DID pay attention to the fuel futures; the fuel futures didn't predict the run-up in the price of fuel.

Like any good business that would publish a price a year early and take a deposit, you owe it to your customers to honor that price...
That's not correct. Indeed, if you would have your way, in terms of no surcharges, the only way to do so is to be unable to book a cruise until just a few months prior. That's not better.

Thats what I figured, they knew they could not board the ship if they were not fully paid up....so they want to stick Amex with the problem. If its the principle why stick some other company with the cost of the problem??

If its truly the principle, how is sticking Amex with the cost of processing a dispute that Amex cannot possibly resolve legally.

I totally agree. I have been with Amex for over a decade and is my card of choice. It irks me to no end when people use credit card companies as a scape goat which ultimately affects not only earnings but future rates and the ever-tightening credit card disclosures. When you need Amex they will be there for you. But don't use them to resolve every dispute that can or should be handled directly with the merchant.

Besides, there is only a 60-day window once a charge posts in which it can be disputed. By waiting until after the cruise in February, OP's friend would not have a leg to stand on if final payment was made in November.

With increased gas prices, my midsize SUV took an EXTRA $35 to fill up this month alone. I wish this could have gone to fuel surcharges on a new cruise instead of in my tank!

Do the right thing and pay the fee.

Archived