For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Hi CK! Only been on Adventure once before, but sent my daughter for her honeymoon on AOS and now I am finally getting back to her in January. Have used this thread as a reference quite a bit, so thanks for starting and supporting it.

Actually just realized that I have been on RCCL five times, on five different ships. And yet I still tend to think of the Adventure as my 'home' ship. Can't wait to get back on her, we are on the Curacao/Aruba, Dominica/St Thomas route. Wondering what kind of changes I will notice, if any. And can't wait to enjoy the promenade, especially the pub and champagne bar!

Envious of your B2B experiences, have that on the list of things to try. Sorry we are missing you by a few weeks, but we'll try to leave her in good shape for you!

bobj

This will be my second year not going to San Juan and getting on Adventure. I couldn't pass up Idependence's 8 night itinerary last year and decided that I now have to try Oasis for myself. After this I don't see anything that will tempt me more that Adventure for next year.

I have been waiting for this thread to start up again. We have 52 days to go until the January 30th sailing and I can hardly wait. We have cruised at this time of year before and we are hoping the southern route will have sunny and warmer weather than what we have encountered sailing out of FLL or Miami.

Hi CK! Only been on Adventure once before, but sent my daughter for her honeymoon on AOS and now I am finally getting back to her in January. Have used this thread as a reference quite a bit, so thanks for starting and supporting it.

Actually just realized that I have been on RCCL five times, on five different ships. And yet I still tend to think of the Adventure as my 'home' ship. Can't wait to get back on her, we are on the Curacao/Aruba, Dominica/St Thomas route. Wondering what kind of changes I will notice, if any. And can't wait to enjoy the promenade, especially the pub and champagne bar!

Envious of your B2B experiences, have that on the list of things to try. Sorry we are missing you by a few weeks, but we'll try to leave her in good shape for you!

bobj

bobj :)

I love the Aruba route - definitely one of my faves! Have you decided what to do on Dominica? Last year we just wandered around the port area, but heard that the island is beautiful and we probably should have seen more of it!

If you can swing a B2B - I highly recommend it!

Have a fantastic cruise and be sure to come back and tell us all about it!

I have been waiting for this thread to start up again. We have 52 days to go until the January 30th sailing and I can hardly wait. We have cruised at this time of year before and we are hoping the southern route will have sunny and warmer weather than what we have encountered sailing out of FLL or Miami.

Wooooo Hoooooo! Only 52 more days for Lorey!!!! :):)

I usually resurrect this thread around this time of year because it means my own AOS cruise is around the corner and I want to to talk ship with other AOS lovers! :p

46 days for me? Does that sound right? So VERY excited!! My first RCCL cruise and it's on what sounds like a pretty great ship :)

You certainly picked a great ship and a fab itinerary for your first cruise! Is this your first cruise ever, or just your first on RCI? :)

You certainly picked a great ship and a fab itinerary for your first cruise! Is this your first cruise ever, or just your first on RCI? :)

I have been on 2 carnival cruises before. DH and I invited my parents to join us, they wanted to leave out of San Juan and they wanted to be on RCI. So it was the Adventure or Serenade, and DH and I picked AOS. I'm really excited about the Promenade thing, the only downside is that on such a port-heavy intinerary we won't be on the ship all that much I'm thinking.

That is one of the great things about the southern itineraries. It is warm from the minute you walk out of the airport until you leave to go back home. Last year it was COLD in Ft. Lauderdale the morning that we returned on Independence. And having just been down in the Caribbean makes the cold seem that much COLDER.

I have been on 2 carnival cruises before. DH and I invited my parents to join us, they wanted to leave out of San Juan and they wanted to be on RCI. So it was the Adventure or Serenade, and DH and I picked AOS. I'm really excited about the Promenade thing, the only downside is that on such a port-heavy intinerary we won't be on the ship all that much I'm thinking.

You must be on the Barbados route with only one sea day :o In any case, you will still have time to enjoy the ship and all she has to offer! You will really love the Royal Promenade - it is a buzz of activity in the evenings with the shops, cafes and pub :D There is also a few parades and be sure not to miss the 70's dance party - really amazing to see and very fun too!!!

Robyn Glad to see you getting ready for your cruise ... it makes mine seem closer! I'm still just over 100 days and counting! One of my dear friends and her DH are joining us - it will be their first cruise so I'm even more excited to share the trip with them. Remember we'll be on AOS 3/20/11 so leave her in good shape and let us know any changes you notice! Mare

That is one of the great things about the southern itineraries. It is warm from the minute you walk out of the airport until you leave to go back home. Last year it was COLD in Ft. Lauderdale the morning that we returned on Independence. And having just been down in the Caribbean makes the cold seem that much COLDER.

I agree! I'd rather fly to San Juan and start the cruise in warm weather when it is cold here in MD.

bobj :)

I love the Aruba route - definitely one of my faves! Have you decided what to do on Dominica? Last year we just wandered around the port area, but heard that the island is beautiful and we probably should have seen more of it!

If you can swing a B2B - I highly recommend it!

Have a fantastic cruise and be sure to come back and tell us all about it!

I did Dominica last year on CCL Victory, the port intensive one (was with a bunch of friends, so I went with their choice). CCL was actually OK, but I look forward to getting back in the RCCL saddle. ;)

We are going tubing with Antours..did it last year and it was great. Truly a beautiful island, I strongly suggest anyone going to Dominica find a tour that suits them that gives a chance to see the interior a little. very very cool. :D

I will let you know, and again thanks for this thread and your contributions!!

bobj

Robyn Glad to see you getting ready for your cruise ... it makes mine seem closer! I'm still just over 100 days and counting! One of my dear friends and her DH are joining us - it will be their first cruise so I'm even more excited to share the trip with them. Remember we'll be on AOS 3/20/11 so leave her in good shape and let us know any changes you notice! Mare

Mare - I will definitely leave the AOS is good shape for you! :) I know how exciting it is to cruise with first timers....nothing beats that look on their faces when they see the ship for the very first time - it is a look of amazement and awe all rolled into one!

I did Dominica last year on CCL Victory, the port intensive one (was with a bunch of friends, so I went with their choice). CCL was actually OK, but I look forward to getting back in the RCCL saddle. ;)

We are going tubing with Antours..did it last year and it was great. Truly a beautiful island, I strongly suggest anyone going to Dominica find a tour that suits them that gives a chance to see the interior a little. very very cool. :D

I will let you know, and again thanks for this thread and your contributions!!

bobj

bobj - as much as tubing intrigues me.....not sure I am that adventurous!!!! :eek: I am going to book some kind of tour on Dominica, just not sure exactly what?

You are most welcome for this thread - I started it a few years ago in response to so many folks who were afraid to sail on the AOS for a variety of reasons that so many of us have proven time and time again are not good enough reasons to stay away!!!! :D

Every time I see this thread pop up my heart skips a beat. Not out of excitement, but out of dread, thinking, "Oh no...now what?"

We will be on AOS in February and reading the subject line of this thread makes all kinds of scary thoughts go through my head...is it the brown water again? Nightmare stories of chair hogs from hell? Flip-flops in the MDR?

Thankfully, after calming down, I realize that this is an old thread that gets resurrected every so often and it is actually a positive one. It's nice to see that AOS has so many fans and Mrs. Schmoopie and I are hoping to be two more after our cruise.

By the way, we are also booked with Antours for the tubing excursion. Let's hope the water is deep enough so we don't go dragging our behinds on the river bottom.

Every time I see this thread pop up my heart skips a beat. Not out of excitement, but out of dread, thinking, "Oh no...now what?"

Thankfully, after calming down, I realize that this is an old thread that gets resurrected every so often and it is actually a positive one. It's nice to see that AOS has so many fans and Mrs. Schmoopie and I are hoping to be two more after our cruise.

There is nothing to dread. Adventure is as awesome as its itineraries are. Just enjoy the anticipation.

Just want to say thankyou to everyone for their contributions to this thread. My husband and I are taking our first cruise on the AOS departing Feb 13th 2011... we are sooooo excited!

It's like everything, you find a great hotel and then check tripadvisor and you come accross horror stories etc. People tend to post more when they're upset or dissattisfied with something.

I am counting down and cannot wait!

Michelle :)

Freezing cold UK

Just want to say thankyou to everyone for their contributions to this thread. My husband and I are taking our first cruise on the AOS departing Feb 13th 2011... we are sooooo excited!

It's like everything, you find a great hotel and then check tripadvisor and you come accross horror stories etc. People tend to post more when they're upset or dissattisfied with something.

I am counting down and cannot wait!

Michelle :)

Freezing cold UK

Michelle - I will see you onboard!!!!! :D

This thread is a wealth of information with so many contributors -a big thanks to everyone who has sailed on the AOS and come back to this thread time and time again to share their experiences!!!

We will be on AOS in February and reading the subject line of this thread makes all kinds of scary thoughts go through my head...is it the brown water again? Nightmare stories of chair hogs from hell? Flip-flops in the MDR?

By the way, we are also booked with Antours for the tubing excursion. Let's hope the water is deep enough so we don't go dragging our behinds on the river bottom.

Schmoopie (Love the name! Are you by any chance a Seinfeld fan??)

When are you sailing in Feburary?

Listen to Ocean Boy - he gives great advice!! :)

I did Antours last March, and the water was pretty low. The guides earned their tips for all the pushing and pulling they had to do to get some of us over the low spots! :eek: Still fun though. And quite beautiful, floating down the river between walls of jungle green. :)

I checked the average rainfall numbers for Dominica, and it appears that the fall months, say Sept-Dec are the wettest and then Jan-Mar are drier, but of course averages can represent a lot of variation for any given day or week. I'm sure you will enjoy your day in any case, after all, you're on a cruise, right? ;)

bobj

Just for information .... I agree you must see the interior of the island. We took an excursion from the ship. I know sometimes pricier but we'd heard about trouble on the island so we decided safety was worth the extra $$$ - BUT at NO time did we feel unsafe on the island! We were taken to some beautiful vistas for photos, through a rainforest and to the WATERFALL -- it was worth the trip! We were able to stand on a platform with the waterfall behind us for a picture. Despite the number of tourists everyone was polite & willing to take pictures for each other. We did pass the location where the river tubing began on the trip. The walk on this excursion was pretty easy .... not bad at all (& I'm not a hiker.)

Robyn ... You are right I remember my first look at the Serenade (our first cruise) and only wish someone could have gotten pictures of our faces!!! I'm glad we'll be travelling together so I can get a picture of them (she & I are alot alike so it will capture my look the first time as well!)

Schmoopie (Love the name! Are you by any chance a Seinfeld fan??)

When are you sailing in Feburary?

Listen to Ocean Boy - he gives great advice!! :)

Seinfeld is the number one favorite show of Mr. & Mrs. Schmoopie. We can quote the dialog of entire shows. The Schmoopie episode just always stood out for some "odd" reason.

We are on the AOS February 27th. Rumor has it they will be changing the name of the ship for that particular sailing to the Schmoop Boat...;)

Archived