For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Hi everyone;

I am so glad that I found this thread.

I need some advices from you guys.

I am looking at a Southern Caribbean cruise and these are the 3 I am interested in:

AOS Jan2 -Jan 8 from SJ

Carnival Victory Jan 1-Jan8 from SJ

carnival Miracle Dec 28-Jan 5 from FLL

We loved both Carnival and RCl equally but if the price is right we are leaning towards the AOS.

Any advice on which cabin (we are a family of 3 who loves balcony).

I was looking at cabin 8268 (E1), Is this cabin a good choice regarding noise and traffic ?

I know that there will be a lot of PR on this ship since it is a Holiday cruising and I do expect a lot of big families... I have no problem with that . I was just hoping to have quiet nights by choosing a cabin where there will be less traffic.

I will also greatly appreciate iany advice on shore excursions on St-Lucia and St-Maarten. Any suggestion on hotels in SJ???

Thanks

[quote name='stefanny28']Hi everyone;
I am looking at a Southern Caribbean cruise and these are the 3 I am interested in:
AOS Jan2 -Jan 8 from SJ

We loved both Carnival and RCl equally but if the price is right we are leaning towards the AOS.
I was looking at cabin 8268 (E1), Is this cabin a good choice regarding noise and traffic ?
I know that there will be a lot of PR on this ship since it is a Holiday cruising and I do expect a lot of big families... I have no problem with that . I was just hoping to have quiet nights by choosing a cabin where there will be less traffic.

I will also greatly appreciate iany advice on shore excursions on St-Lucia and St-Maarten. Any suggestion on hotels in SJ???

Thanks[/quote]

We've been on both the Victory & AOS .....

The Victory (in my opinion) was not an easy ship to navigate. There were maybe 2 decks that you could walk bow to stern .... the rest of the time you had to go part way along a deck then up or down to the deck you desired by stairs or elevator & then go the other part of the deck to go full length. My friends who travelled with us said it was the same layout as the Glory -- which they described as 3 ships in one .... the forward ship, the midship & the aft ship .. because you couldn't go end to end.

We noticed ALOT of rolling on the Victory .... we weren't being given any swell reports & no excursions were cancelled due to the seas. Just an observation. As we sat waiting to go to dinner everyone coming & going was walking like a "drunken sailor" ....

We loved the AOS so much that we booked it as a repeat!

Hi everyone;

AOS Jan2 -Jan 8 from SJ

Thanks

While I really did enjoy my Victory cruise last year, for your situation I am going to suggest AOS, because:

-Sails Jan2, so you can travel on New Years Day and not miss NYE.

-You don't say how old the family members are, but if one of them is a kid, the AOS may be more fun

-I think AOS is two sea days vs 1 for Victory? Can you say relaxation?

-8268 is a fine choice for an E1, as quiet a hallway as any I think

-check out ports of call boards for San Juan, or Ports of embarkation boards, but you might check Hampton Inn Isle Verde.

bear in mind, I can't comment on the Miracle at all

bobj

Hi everyone;

AOS Jan2 -Jan 8 from SJ

Thanks

While I really did enjoy my Victory cruise last year, for your situation I am going to suggest AOS, because:

-Sails Jan2, so you can travel on New Years Day and not miss NYE.

-You don't say how old the family members are, but if one of them is a kid, the AOS may be more fun

-I think AOS is two sea days vs 1 for Victory? Can you say relaxation?

-8268 is a fine choice for an E1, as quiet a hallway as any I think

-check out ports of call boards for San Juan, or Ports of embarkation boards, but you might check Hampton Inn Isle Verde.

I love sailing San Juan this time of year, so bear in mind, I can't comment on the Miracle at all

bobj

Leaving for San Juan in 14 days!!!! :D:D:D

If anyone has specific questions, or wants a pic of their cabin for an upcoming cruise - please let me know. I am on a B2B and on turnaround day I can easily get cabin pictures anywhere while all the cabin doors are open and they are being cleaned for the next sailing! I have even taken pics in the Royal Suite :p

If anyone has specific questions, or wants a pic of their cabin for an upcoming cruise - please let me know. I am on a B2B and on turnaround day I can easily get cabin pictures anywhere while all the cabin doors are open and they are being cleaned for the next sailing! I have even taken pics in the Royal Suite :p

Robyn --- Enjoy our ship!! No doubt you'll have a wonderful time.

I'd love to see a picture of my cabin .. #8316 if it isn't a problem.

I'd like to know if the Valet Luggage program is still available. I'd seen a note questioning it.

I'm down to 50 days & getting excited ... I can't wait to get out of the snow & cold.

Safe travels & ENJOY!!!!

Robyn --- Enjoy our ship!! No doubt you'll have a wonderful time.

I'd love to see a picture of my cabin .. #8316 if it isn't a problem.

I'd like to know if the Valet Luggage program is still available. I'd seen a note questioning it.

I'm down to 50 days & getting excited ... I can't wait to get out of the snow & cold.

Safe travels & ENJOY!!!!

Of course I will take some pics of your cabin! :D It's so easy to have access to any cabin when all the doors are open and there are no passengers on the ship ;)

I will ask about the luggage valet program for you if you'd like? I don't use it, but will definitely find out if it is still in operation.

I know what you mean about getting out of the cold and snow!!! :eek:

Let's hope your photography skills are better than Kramer's. Otherwise, if you happen to get a female cabin steward in the picture everyone might start calling her "Nip"...:p

Robyn - you seem like the expert. maybe you can help. We have been on the AOS 5 times since 2002 and it had evolved from being a ship with most passengers from the mainland USA to most passengers from Puerto Rico. We havent been in a while and love the southern itinerary so we booked for new years cruise next year [12/26/11] but now getting a bit spooked by many of the comments. Based on your experiences and I know you could never know but what do you think the passenger makeup of the ship would be for a new years cruise - 50/50? 75/25? 90/10? Our other option would be Mariner out of Galveston as they are the only two cruises that leave the day after xmas. Any help and thoughts would be appreciate or if anyone was on the holiday cruise this past december if you have any information it woudl be appreciated. :)

Robyn - you seem like the expert. maybe you can help. We have been on the AOS 5 times since 2002 and it had evolved from being a ship with most passengers from the mainland USA to most passengers from Puerto Rico. We havent been in a while and love the southern itinerary so we booked for new years cruise next year [12/26/11] but now getting a bit spooked by many of the comments. Based on your experiences and I know you could never know but what do you think the passenger makeup of the ship would be for a new years cruise - 50/50? 75/25? 90/10? Our other option would be Mariner out of Galveston as they are the only two cruises that leave the day after xmas. Any help and thoughts would be appreciate or if anyone was on the holiday cruise this past december if you have any information it woudl be appreciated. :)

You're right, I cannot give you an exact ratio of Americans Vs Puerto Ricans on the AOS - but what I can tell you is that all announcements will be in English and Spanish, so that should give you some idea of the passenger make-up on this ship. Just out of sheer curiosity, why are you "spooked" ? Are you concerned that if there are too many Puerto Ricans onboard you won't have a good time? I need you to help me understand your trepidation so that I can give you the best advice possible!!:)

rta: I just booked a Christmas cruise, well sorry, just got off a Christmas cruise and I would say:

40-50% Puerto Rican

20-25% Canadian (a LOT of Canadians on this ship...they get really cheap fares to PR)

20-25% American

10% European/other

Twiggers - I am going to have completely disagree with you on one point.....Canadians do NOT get cheap fares to SJU! The only direct flight to SJU is on one airline and only flies once a day on Saturday and Sunday out of Toronto. There are always way more Americans than Canadians on any sailing I have been on - especially out of PR :)

Oh really? I'm Canadian and my parents all live up there and my Mom is always raving about how cheap the flights to major Caribbean/C. American cities are. So I just assumed :-)

If your family has a line on cheap airfare from Toronto to SJU, I wanna know about it!!! :rolleyes::D

Twiggers - I am going to have completely disagree with you on one point.....Canadians do NOT get cheap fares to SJU! The only direct flight to SJU is on one airline and only flies once a day on Saturday and Sunday out of Toronto. There are always way more Americans than Canadians on any sailing I have been on - especially out of PR :)

Hi Robyn;

I would love it if you can take a picture of our (not reserved yet cabin) 8268.

Can you give me an idea if one deck is quieter than another deck?

By the way, I am from Montreal, Quebec and there are now direct flight from Montreal to SJ but only on Sat and Sun.

I would love it if they have direct flight the other days of the week.

Thanks to johnbob7 and rupertfrog fro their advice. I think that I will book the AOS. My daugther is 12 and she just loves the Ben&Jerry and Johnny Rocket.

Two ; AC/Air Canada & WG/Sunwing.

We were on the January 2 - 9 cruise. We live in Spain. It was still Christmas vacation for us ("Reyes") so we spent New Year's in San Juan and then took the cruise.

More than 2,000 of the passengers were from Puerto Rico. They were a blast and it was amazing sailing with such a crowd. Fun and energy everywhere all week long.

There were about 50 young girls celebrating their "quinceañeras" on the cruise. On one of the formal days they were all dressed to the nines with their families in what looked like wedding dresses.

Amazing cruise and fantastic itinerary. We would do it again.

By the way, please don't forget that Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens, just like the U.S. citizens all over this thread and the RCCL forum who tend to come out with comments about not liking this cruise because there are too many Puerto Ricans.

Well, the Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens just like you are. Would those same people be so quick to say that they don't want to go on such and such cruise because it is full of black people?

Shame on the prejudice and racism that still seems to thrive in the 21st century -- and it is thriving against your fellow U.S. citizens!!

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

We were on the January 2 - 9 cruise. We live in Spain. It was still Christmas vacation for us ("Reyes") so we spent New Year's in San Juan and then took the cruise.

More than 2,000 of the passengers were from Puerto Rico. They were a blast and it was amazing sailing with such a crowd. Fun and energy everywhere all week long.

There were about 50 young girls celebrating their "quinceañeras" on the cruise. On one of the formal days they were all dressed to the nines with their families in what looked like wedding dresses.

Amazing cruise and fantastic itinerary. We would do it again.

By the way, please don't forget that Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens, just like the U.S. citizens all over this thread and the RCCL forum who tend to come out with comments about not liking this cruise because there are too many Puerto Ricans.

Well, the Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens just like you are. Would those same people be so quick to say that they don't want to go on such and such cruise because it is full of black people?

Shame on the prejudice and racism that still seems to thrive in the 21st century -- and it is thriving against your fellow U.S. citizens!!

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Well said Gunther, that struck me as reading through here but you said it better then I could have :)

I think this thread is long overdue.

Each week I see at least 2-3 posts regarding the Adventure of the Seas, people who have booked and are now afraid they made a mistake - and people who have yet to book, that may not ever book because of what they read on here.

As many of you know, I have cruised on the AOS 3 times and have had wonderful cruise vacations on all 3. I am sailing again next month on my 2nd B2B on the AOS and I am eagerly anticipating another fantastic cruise! :)

Here are a few commonly asked questions about the AOS:

Q: Does the AOS have a large amount of Puerto Ricans sailing on her for most cruises?

A: Yes, there are Puerto Rican's on cruises out of San Juan. It is their home port and I would be very surprised if they weren't.

Q: Are the announcements in Spanish as well as English?

A: Yes they are. Is it an issue? No.

Q: Are Puerto Ricans rude and rowdy?

A: No more rude and rowdy than other passengers I have seen on other ships and other itineraries. Puerto Ricans are a lively bunch :)

Q: Is the AOS a sick ship, or more prone to Noro than other ships?

A: No. The AOS has as much chance of a noro outbreak as any other ship in the RCI fleet.

Q: I have booked the AOS and after reading negative reviews, I want to cancel - what should I do?

A: You can cancel you cruise if you want, but you will be missing out on a fantastic cruise on a great ship sailing on a wonderful itinerary!

I do understand that some people have had negative experiences on the AOS - but the same can be said for any other ship. There will always be people cutting in line, pushing elevator buttons, chair hogging and the list goes on......unfortunately, some people like to leave their manners at home :(

My experiences have been terrific on the AOS and I would encourage anyone to sail on her and see for themselves what a great ship she is!!

Yes....I am an AOS cheerleader, and proud of it!!!

Just read your review and you seem to know a lot about the Adventurer of the Seas. I'm trying to locate the following restaurants on the ship:

Sorrento's, Seaview Cafe, Vin d'Italia and Latte-tudes. Can you help, they don't appear on the deck plans that I have, thanks...

Just read your review and you seem to know a lot about the Adventurer of the Seas. I'm trying to locate the following restaurants on the ship:

Sorrento's, Seaview Cafe, Vin d'Italia and Latte-tudes. Can you help, they don't appear on the deck plans that I have, thanks...

That would be because none of them exist on Adventure.

And yes, once again, I KNOW that my name is not Robyn.:rolleyes:

Archived