For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

Going on the Adventure next year. Anyone know what day they have the ice show? Also, on Serenade they do a Champagne Buffet and tour of the galley, does anyone know if this is available on the Adventure??

Things can change in a year, but last week the ices shows were on Day 2 and Day 4. Day 2, seaday, they were at 3 and 5 PM, and Day 4 they were the featured entertainment for the evening, 7 something and 9 something PM.

Anyone who has been on recently that can fill me in with how the internet is on AOS? Haven't sailed on her since 2004:rolleyes:, but the internet on Liberty was awful recently (DH has to work a little on all our cruises:()

Thanks!

WOW WOW WOW...its all I have to say, I finally sailed on the AOS last week and I must say it is by far the best cruise i have taken out of all my 10 cruises:D

I will write a review soon of all the great and wonderful things on the ship, at the ports and in san juan, but just wanted to thank the SPECIAL PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD THAT GAVE ME SO MUCH INFORMATION, SPECIALLY:

TOONJIE

OCEANBOY

TEEARA

SCHMOOPIE17

AND TO THE QUEEN:D:D:D...ROBYN!!!!!!!!

I must say I was a little disappointed that I didn't get to meet any of the rude Puerto Ricans onboard but hey, no cruise is perfect, maybe ill meet them next March when I sail her again:p

Thanks and glad you had a great time!

Anyone who has been on recently that can fill me in with how the internet is on AOS? Haven't sailed on her since 2004:rolleyes:, but the internet on Liberty was awful recently (DH has to work a little on all our cruises:()

Thanks!

The internet access is painfully slow onboard as it has been for at least since 2006 when I first sailed her. Having said that, however, it is still a usable connection. Back in December I was able to pay all of my company's taxes online from the middle of the Atlantic. Never had a drop in connection and this is with three different tax entities with different applications.

There's no alternative to the ship's internet on a transatlantic but when island hopping, there are many opportunities to use WiFi when on land and sometimes even dockside from the ship.

you will love it :) planning the barbados route next march!

Cookie .... You will love it! We did that route March of 2010 & 2011. Next March (18th) we'll be doing the Aruba route ... Very excited as we've never been to Aruba or Curacao ... ADD to that we will be travelling our friends (who cruised for the first time with us 3/20/11 on AOS) & CC friends from that same cruise!!! Now just waiting for airline rates to be available!

Cookie .... You will love it! We did that route March of 2010 & 2011. Next March (18th) we'll be doing the Aruba route ... Very excited as we've never been to Aruba or Curacao ... ADD to that we will be travelling our friends (who cruised for the first time with us 3/20/11 on AOS) & CC friends from that same cruise!!! Now just waiting for airline rates to be available!

Aruba and Curacao are awesome ports. You have a lot to look forward to.

Aruba and Curacao are awesome ports. You have a lot to look forward to.

Ocean Boy ... Any tips on those islands for excursions, eating/drinking, MUST SEE places? Any vendors to recommend or do you use the RCCL excursions? How about beaches? We have plenty of time .... there is a thread for our trip on AOS 3/18/12 if you want to post it.

We may go early to stay in San Juan for a day or two before/after --- I likely have hotel points for Marriott & Best Western .... any tips on staying in San Juan?

We may go early to stay in San Juan for a day or two before/after --- I likely have hotel points for Marriott & Best Western .... any tips on staying in San Juan?

We arrived in San Juan a couple days early and stayed at the Marriott Stellaris Resort in Condado beach. I recommend it.

We didn't do lunch in those ports, unless you count liquid lunch. The best bar we found was in Dominica. It was a place that had "Ruins" in the name. It is clearly a cruise ship tourist bar, since there were a whole bunch of us there. The best part was the $2.00 Balashi beers. The second best part was the Rasta guy who waits on the tables. Overall, a very cool place...and the price is right. It is about about a block into town from the dock.

Hey Schmoopie, we did the Antour excursion in Dominica (falls and tubing) that I think you did. The tubing was a lot of fun and the falls was so pretty. (I couldn't find your post about it). We actually got in the "tour bus" right across from the Ruins bar.

We had a great cruise too. I'd do that one again. Love the islands we visited.

Hey Schmoopie, we did the Antour excursion in Dominica (falls and tubing) that I think you did. The tubing was a lot of fun and the falls was so pretty. (I couldn't find your post about it). We actually got in the "tour bus" right across from the Ruins bar.

Before we found the "Ruins" bar we stopped into another somewhat questionable bar deeper into town. We were the only non-locals in the place and they all looked at us like we just stepped off an alien spacecraft. We immediately did an about-face and headed for the door and ended up stumbling into the Ruins place. (Actually, we walked into the Ruins and stumbled out)...:D

I've had a couple people ask for my review, so I'll post it here again. You'll see that the tubing was the highlight of our trip.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=80056

Ocean Boy ... Any tips on those islands for excursions, eating/drinking, MUST SEE places? Any vendors to recommend or do you use the RCCL excursions? How about beaches? We have plenty of time .... there is a thread for our trip on AOS 3/18/12 if you want to post it.

First of all, understand that we are not beach people. We live on the beach and I don't go on vacation to go fry on another beach. I love topography and looking at landscape as well as architecture. So my interests may be very different from yours. We typically will do a morning activity where we travel away from the port area, return to the ship for lunch, and then spend the afternoon exploring the port area.

Our first trip to Aruba I was determined to see as much of the island as possible as I didn't know if I would ever be back again. That tends to be how I approach my first trip to anywhere. We rented a jeep and spent the morning driving a circle around the "top" half of the island including the California lighthouse. I love lighthouses. Unfortunately, it is not open for people to climb. We spent the afternoon doing a circle around the "bottom" half of the island including Arikok National Park.

Aruba is a desert. It has amazing landscape very different from what you will find on most of the other tropical Caribbean islands. You have to go to the side of the island opposite Oranjestad to really appreciate it. I have heard it described as like being on the moon. That is exactly how I would describe it though I have, obviously, never been to the moon. If you are going to do this do not rent a car. A car will not be able to handle the roads. You need a jeep or SUV. If you are not interested in driving yourself there are plenty of tour drivers available to you as you exit the pier area. You will not see as much of the island as you would if you rent a jeep. You could book a ship excursion but it will cost you more and you still will not see as much as you would with a jeep. If you just want to go to a beach they are not far from the port and you can get a taxi or take a public bus. It is a short ride to the resort beaches.

Curacao also has a desert climate like Aruba. The two islands are very close. On one trip we spent the morning going to Hatu Cave. I like caves almost as much as lighthouses. On another trip we spent the morning going out to the Ostrich Farm and the Aloe Plantation. It is easy to get transportation to the cave after you leave the pier. There are plenty of taxi vans that go. I don't remember the cost per person but it is much cheaper than a ship excursion. The Aloe and Ostrich Farm are the only time we ever have done a ship excursion. It is a bit of a trip from the port area and taxis are very expensive for the trip. It was much easier, and less expensive, to do the trip through the ship. We always spend the afternoon walking around the port area. It is a beautiful port and we love walking around. Do NOT miss the floating bridge. It is very cool. Curacao is not particularly know for its beaches and if that is what you want I am not sure which would be best or where they are located.

If you have any questions just ask. I am sure I can supply many more details if I think about it.

First of all, understand that we are not beach people. We live on the beach and I don't go on vacation to go fry on another beach. I love topography and looking at landscape as well as architecture. So my interests may be very different from yours. We typically will do a morning activity where we travel away from the port area, return to the ship for lunch, and then spend the afternoon exploring the port area.

Our first trip to Aruba I was determined to see as much of the island as possible as I didn't know if I would ever be back again. That tends to be how I approach my first trip to anywhere. We rented a jeep and spent the morning driving a circle around the "top" half of the island including the California lighthouse. I love lighthouses. Unfortunately, it is not open for people to climb. We spent the afternoon doing a circle around the "bottom" half of the island including Arikok National Park.

Aruba is a desert. It has amazing landscape very different from what you will find on most of the other tropical Caribbean islands. You have to go to the side of the island opposite Oranjestad to really appreciate it. I have heard it described as like being on the moon. That is exactly how I would describe it though I have, obviously, never been to the moon. If you are going to do this do not rent a car. A car will not be able to handle the roads. You need a jeep or SUV. If you are not interested in driving yourself there are plenty of tour drivers available to you as you exit the pier area. You will not see as much of the island as you would if you rent a jeep. You could book a ship excursion but it will cost you more and you still will not see as much as you would with a jeep. If you just want to go to a beach they are not far from the port and you can get a taxi or take a public bus. It is a short ride to the resort beaches.

Curacao also has a desert climate like Aruba. The two islands are very close. On one trip we spent the morning going to Hatu Cave. I like caves almost as much as lighthouses. On another trip we spent the morning going out to the Ostrich Farm and the Aloe Plantation. It is easy to get transportation to the cave after you leave the pier. There are plenty of taxi vans that go. I don't remember the cost per person but it is much cheaper than a ship excursion. The Aloe and Ostrich Farm are the only time we ever have done a ship excursion. It is a bit of a trip from the port area and taxis are very expensive for the trip. It was much easier, and less expensive, to do the trip through the ship. We always spend the afternoon walking around the port area. It is a beautiful port and we love walking around. Do NOT miss the floating bridge. It is very cool. Curacao is not particularly know for its beaches and if that is what you want I am not sure which would be best or where they are located.

If you have any questions just ask. I am sure I can supply many more details if I think about it.

Thank you very much .... I enjoy the beach but DH tends to fry & loves history so we do try to combine both throughout our cruises!

Like you, not sure I'll be back I do like to get the most out of our first trip to any island .... so I am very appreciative of your details!

We also enjoy food ... and have learned it is best to eat where (& like) the locals eat so those tips are appreciated as well.

I think this thread is long overdue.

Each week I see at least 2-3 posts regarding the Adventure of the Seas, people who have booked and are now afraid they made a mistake - and people who have yet to book, that may not ever book because of what they read on here.

As many of you know, I have cruised on the AOS 3 times and have had wonderful cruise vacations on all 3. I am sailing again next month on my 2nd B2B on the AOS and I am eagerly anticipating another fantastic cruise! :)

Here are a few commonly asked questions about the AOS:

Q: Does the AOS have a large amount of Puerto Ricans sailing on her for most cruises?

A: Yes, there are Puerto Rican's on cruises out of San Juan. It is their home port and I would be very surprised if they weren't.

Q: Are the announcements in Spanish as well as English?

A: Yes they are. Is it an issue? No.

Q: Are Puerto Ricans rude and rowdy?

A: No more rude and rowdy than other passengers I have seen on other ships and other itineraries. Puerto Ricans are a lively bunch :)

Q: Is the AOS a sick ship, or more prone to Noro than other ships?

A: No. The AOS has as much chance of a noro outbreak as any other ship in the RCI fleet.

Q: I have booked the AOS and after reading negative reviews, I want to cancel - what should I do?

A: You can cancel you cruise if you want, but you will be missing out on a fantastic cruise on a great ship sailing on a wonderful itinerary!

I do understand that some people have had negative experiences on the AOS - but the same can be said for any other ship. There will always be people cutting in line, pushing elevator buttons, chair hogging and the list goes on......unfortunately, some people like to leave their manners at home :(

My experiences have been terrific on the AOS and I would encourage anyone to sail on her and see for themselves what a great ship she is!!

Yes....I am an AOS cheerleader, and proud of it!!!

Thanks-I just booked yesterday for February and feel the same about people in general-people do not know how to act!!!

Anyone just off AOL Adventure of the Seas have a problem with brown water?

We were on the AOS from 3/20/11 - 3/27/11 and no issue with brown water ... despite posts before our cruise of some having that issue in the past.

We were also on the 3/20 sailing and as Mare says, there was no issue with brown water. The food and service were great and the boat was in good condition. After reading all the bad reviews on CC, we didn't know what to expect. But it was all good. So good, that we are thinking about doing a repeat of our cruise next year (but the other Southern Caribbean route).

My question is for those who have sailed the same ship again. The ports will be different, but I'm afraid that it won't be as good the next time around since it wont be new to us. Does it feel like the same cruise the next time around? Does the entertainment change?

We were also on the 3/20 sailing and as Mare says, there was no issue with brown water. The food and service were great and the boat was in good condition. After reading all the bad reviews on CC, we didn't know what to expect. But it was all good. So good, that we are thinking about doing a repeat of our cruise next year (but the other Southern Caribbean route).

My question is for those who have sailed the same ship again. The ports will be different, but I'm afraid that it won't be as good the next time around since it wont be new to us. Does it feel like the same cruise the next time around? Does the entertainment change?

Laura ... This year was our second cruise on AOS (& we repeated the itinerary) the entertainment was different (although we didn't see the ice show either trip). And we certainly had plenty to do without being bored or feeling like it was a "do-over" .... So much so we are booked for 3/18/12!!!! Can't wait .. and so far so are 2 of our other CC friends with Mindy still on the balance with you!

See onboard!!!

Sometimes the second, third, forth, and fifth times around are better as you don't feel like you have to accomplish as much so it is more relaxing. As for the entertainment, it is a matter of timing. We caught the same shows three years in a row. And one of them wasn't even worth seeing once never mind three times.:rolleyes:

As for the entertainment, it is a matter of timing. We caught the same shows three years in a row. And one of them wasn't even worth seeing once never mind three times.:rolleyes:

That's funny. :D

I did feel that if anything could have been better about the cruise, it would have been the evening entertainment. I didn't think that there were enough options. I would have liked to have seen some more smaller venue performers (comedians/magicians, etc.). The ice show was fantastic - and a good reason why Mare needs to sail this boat a 3rd time and see it already - however I don't know if I'd want to see the same show again.

Hi all! We have booked AOS for 8 April 2012. Booked whilst on freedom - an amazing ship. Glad to see this reassuring thread :-))

That was a b2b we completed and been on freedom before so the entertainment was same but as already said it doesn't matter! Always a different audience reaction so all good. Looking forward to next yr already!

Jackie :-)

Archived