Alaska with Princess - Sapphire vs Coral

eandr

We're considering an Alaska cruise with Princess in August - the Vancouver to Whittier itinerary. Trying to decide on Sapphire vs Coral Princess. Anyone have experience on one or preferably both that can provide some input. They both have pretty good customer ratings but the editorial review seems much better for Coral.

We have been to Alaska on both the Sapphire and the Coral, and really preferred the Coral. Size-wise the ships appear about the same, but Coral had about 1,000 FEWER passengers. We were always able to find a quiet spot on the Coral. Both ships are beautiful and have the same itinerary. The staff was excellent on both ships. I believe the Coral was a bit more expensive (since it has fewer passengers), but we didn't mind paying that for the less crowded atmosphere. I certainly wouldn't turn down a trip on the Sapphire, but if we had to choose one over the other, no question, we'd pick the Coral.

I've been on both ships and each has its advantages. I do have to say that the pool areas on the Sapphire are much prettier with much nicer tile work. On the Coral the pool tiles are rather plain. The Coral has much more passenger space, it often felt empty despite it being a full ship. The Coral has great outdoor decks front and back for viewing the outside world. Otherwise, I really think both ships are great.

We had our best cruise in July on the Sapphire, but we had wonderful companions from the land tour and a surprise upgrade to a PH suite. The Panama canal cruse on the Coral was also outstanding and theCoral is a wonderful ship.

As was pointed out, each have their advantages, similarities and differences. It depends on your areas of interest while on-board and not enjoying the beauty of Alaska.

Alternative Dining - Coral offers Sabatini's and the Bayou Steakhouse (with live Jazz) while the Sapphire offers Sabatini's and Sterling's. Probably a nod to the Coral because of location and the fact both are in dedicated spaces. That being said, we have enjoyed Sterling's on every visit.

Entertainment Venues - I prefer the arrangement on the Coral.

Size - As noted above, I give a nod to the Coral because of the smaller size and lower passenger count. That said, the Sapphire never felt overwhelming and was pretty easy to navigate (except for the unusual way one has to get to the main dining room).

Have great cruise and, no matter your choice, enjoy Alaska!

We're booked on the Sapphire for a coastal in September, but I'd go with the Coral for Alaska. The back-deck on the Carib and I think Baja levels is wonderful and it's the one thing I will miss when I cruise on other ships - lots of space spanning the entire back (ok, aft) of the ship, many lounge chairs, partially covered so you're protected from the elements, and just a great place to relax and see the magnificent panoramic view. We had a Carib mid-ship cabin, and loved heading back for some book and veg-time. Congratulation though - we loved everything about our Alaska cruise. (One other thing - I don't know the other ship itineraries this year, but last year, the BIG advantage of the NB Coral was that we were the only large ship in Skagway, which was my favorite port and where I bought most things - Alaska made, natch.)

We're booked on the Sapphire for a coastal in September, but I'd go with the Coral for Alaska. The back-deck on the Carib and I think Baja levels is wonderful and it's the one thing I will miss when I cruise on other ships - lots of space spanning the entire back (ok, aft) of the ship, many lounge chairs, partially covered so you're protected from the elements, and just a great place to relax and see the magnificent panoramic view. We had a Carib mid-ship cabin, and loved heading back for some book and veg-time. Congratulation though - we loved everything about our Alaska cruise. (One other thing - I don't know the other ship itineraries this year, but last year, the BIG advantage of the NB Coral was that we were the only large ship in Skagway, which was my favorite port and where I bought most things - Alaska made, natch.)

By the way, I am not sure of the length or ports on your Coastal, but it was just a great cruise in 2006. Enjoy!

My parents took Sapphire to Alaska and we took Coral (same iteniary). We liked the smallness of the Coral but my parents ship (from the video anyway) looked a little more "sumptuous". I think both are good choices but if you prefer a quieter ship, go with Coral.

Archived