Fuel Surcharge - Illegal?

Poulsbo Cruisers

I have read recently on these boards about the fuel surcharge that Princess has been charging. Many posters have stated that this is perfectly legal. This article on ways to save money on a cruise seems to imply that such charges are not legal. However, it doesn't say what to do about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/traveltips/01/15/cruise.tips/index.html

I have read recently on these boards about the fuel surcharge that Princess has been charging. Many posters have stated that this is perfectly legal. This article on ways to save money on a cruise seems to imply that such charges are not legal. However, it doesn't say what to do about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/traveltips/01/15/cruise.tips/index.html

oh for heavens sake, get over it. I just do not understand why some of those on these boards can't realize somehow the cost of fuel has to be past on somehow. I know, it should apply to new bookings only, we have all heard that the past few months. So Princess doesn't charge us who booked earlier the extra charge; now lets' see? They can add a charge on if our luggage is over so many lbs, or maybe limit us to 2 bags only. Right now I can't think of other ways to get the money from us, but I am sure there are many.

Nita

oh for heavens sake, get over it. I just do not understand why some of those on these boards can't realize somehow the cost of fuel has to be past on somehow. I know, it should apply to new bookings only, we have all heard that the past few months. So Princess doesn't charge us who booked earlier the extra charge; now lets' see? They can add a charge on if our luggage is over so many lbs, or maybe limit us to 2 bags only. Right now I can't think of other ways to get the money from us, but I am sure there are many.

Nita

Great Answer, I totally agree with you here. Time to get past this and move on.

If you don't want to pay the fuel surcharge, can't afford to pay the fuel surcharge, or it is the principle of the fuel charge, CANCEL and find another way to vacation. If you check the other cruise lines, this is now in effect with most, if not all of them.

I read that article too and agree, cruises that were already booked should not be getting a fuel charge. It was interesting to note that the cruise lines are not paying more for their fuel, they are under contract for their fuel so this is GREED. I remember years ago RCL had to refund the port charges they charged because they were not legit. I see a class action coming down the pike.

I agree with Toto and Nita. BTW, do you all believe everything you read online or in a newspaper? Just because it's published doesn't mean it's completely accurate and non-biased.

If it's illegal for cruiselines to charge a fuel surcharge, then it's illegal for airlines, FedEx/UPS (get a load of their surcharges), etc. Not that it's OK because everyone else is doing it but all you have to do today is to fill your car and you get sticker shock. I filled my car the other day and it was $3.29/gal for regular. Yikes!

Except for a very few instances, people who paid for their cruise were not charged the surcharge. As for people already booked, per CruisePRN, how can you justify that? I booked almost two years ago for my Sapphire cruise in April and just made my final payment last Friday. How could Princess foresee the fuel cost situation two years ago? I'm shaking my head. If they could foresee that, I want to know what they do 'cause I'd be on the phone with my financial adviser in a heartbeat.

This article is a joke, look at this section on how to save money on a cruise.

"9. For a free upgrade, tell them you're a VIP. Actually, get your travel agent to tell them you're a VIP, says Royce Jones, a Jackson, Mississippi, furniture manufacturer's representative. "My agent tells the cruise line I'm one of her best customers, and that if I like the trip, I'll return again in the future," he says. "And then she asks for an upgrade. It works most of the time."

Princess has plenty of us return cruisers and they dont just hand upgrades to all of us. This completely discredits that arrticle for me.

I agree with Toto2Kansas and newmexicoNita. If you don't like it, don't go. Just put some gas in your car and take a land vacation.

AGREE !!!!!

We get surcharged from many companies we do business with--starting with trucking firms and going from there--we don't see an end to this anytime soon--we are in an oil related business and everyone thinks we pay less for gas--no surcharges etc.--Here in California you can expect to be surcharged in some business activities--and the rest is just tacked on to the price of consumables (groceries etc)

We also pay more at the pump--than other states--just something to live with

Nancy:D

i see everyone jumping on people posting their opinons on the fuel surcharges but you don't seem to care that the canadians and people from the UK seem to really rub it in that they don't have to pay the fuel surcharge and i have repeatedly seen them calling the people booking through US TA's babies basically for putting up with it when we really have no choice.

so, let's be nice and not jump on people for an opinion. be fair - tell the others how you feel about them going on the ship with the fuel YOU are paying extra for and they are NOT per their postings.

"9. For a free upgrade, tell them you're a VIP. Actually, get your travel agent to tell them you're a VIP, says Royce Jones, a Jackson, Mississippi, furniture manufacturer's representative. "My agent tells the cruise line I'm one of her best customers, and that if I like the trip, I'll return again in the future," he says. "And then she asks for an upgrade. It works most of the time."

What a pompous A$$.:eek:

When I discovered this site, I thought it was an excellent place to share princess cruise experiences, hints, and ask questions. I also saw it as a great venue for venting about some things that can really annoy you- such as this fuel surcharge. This gives you a place to get it off your chest with other people that may feel the same way you do. It’s not like your co-workers or family want to hear about it, right?

But then I noticed that many people on this site are also really quick to jump on you for your opinions, and then make you feel bad. Worse yet they point out every little thing you say or explain incorrectly.

It just really takes the fun out of things, which is what I thought this site was about.

So please don’t attack people. I very much respect free speech and I respect that some people think being upset about the fuel charge is silly, but let everyone be and let everyone else feel the way they want too and express that.

If you really think everyone is being ridiculous about this surcharge or other things we are all venting about, please move onto another thread. Why are you continuing to read these and further comment?

Where I live in CA, United Parcel Service has a fuel surcharge, the pest control company has a fuel surcharge even though the contract is a year at a time, airlines have fuel surcharges, so it is happening all over. Also while one might have already paid for the cruise but has not taken it, there is the fuel for the future cruise. Just because one has paid does not mean the fuel during the cruise is not more expensive. Also, I believe that RCL was hit for port fee charges because they did not disclose them. Even school districts are adding fees for kids riding the school buses.

I guess what would be easier for me is if they just raised the price of the cruise some over the next few months (years???) due to higher fuel prices and did not charge 'extra' and call it a fuel surcharge. I'd rather just pay it up front in the cost of the cruise.

Please don't jump all over me.:eek: And yes, I CAN and WILL pay the extra charge. I just like to know right up front what the cruise actually costs.

Weathergirl~~~I agree!

Janet

When I discovered this site, I thought it was an excellent place to share princess cruise experiences, hints, and ask questions. I also saw it as a great venue for venting about some things that can really annoy you- such as this fuel surcharge. This gives you a place to get it off your chest with other people that may feel the same way you do. It’s not like your co-workers or family want to hear about it, right?

But then I noticed that many people on this site are also really quick to jump on you for your opinions, and then make you feel bad. Worse yet they point out every little thing you say or explain incorrectly.

It just really takes the fun out of things, which is what I thought this site was about.

So please don’t attack people. I very much respect free speech and I respect that some people think being upset about the fuel charge is silly, but let everyone be and let everyone else feel the way they want too and express that.

If you really think everyone is being ridiculous about this surcharge or other things we are all venting about, please move onto another thread. Why are you continuing to read these and further comment?

AWWW, sunny, now YOU went and ATTACKED this poster and made him feel bad about what he posted that you didn't like. Why didn't you just move on to another thread instead of commenting further on what he did?

You see -- it cuts both ways, doesn't it? Some thin skinned posters seem to feel that a disagreement with them is an attack. They are very different. Sharing of opinions on this board is why it exists. It is not all sweetness and light and patting each other on the back, it is sharing different points of view and disagreeing with each other that makes this board worthwhile!

Wow mike that was really nice. Forget this site for me then.

Nice while it lasted,

got the info i needed, just vacations for me in the future, no websites like this

Weathergirl,

Don't take things personally on here, you just can't. You will find that many times you get lots of help and support and great ideas along with answers to your questions. Unfortunately you will also find that at time you will get sarcastic answers and push back. I guess like in the rest of life you have to take the good along with the bad and muddle through it.

There are many great people here, actually tremendous people who will surprise you with the support they offer in various ways and some people who just love to prove their point. Take this place for what it is, a public forum that is filled with people from all walks of life and just don't take things personally and you'll love it here.

I also agree with Nita...

Weathergirl..don't take it personally...it's just that this subject really has been beaten to death here, and instead of posting on the original threads, people keep starting new ones.....it just does get very tiring. There is alot of great info on these boards..really hope you don't give up.

Weathergirl:

Just take heart in the knowledge that you don't have to listen to anybodys stuff if you don't want to. Oh, and in the fact that you don't look like anyone in his avatar......yikes!

S

Sunny, cloudy, rain or snow?:rolleyes:

Hey it's an open forum and there are all kinds and don't take it personal.

Life is far too short. Wait till you get on board and listen to some of them as it gets worse. We sit back and laugh.:p

Weathergirl:

Just take heart in the knowledge that you don't have to listen to anybodys stuff if you don't want to. Oh, and in the fact that you don't look like anyone in his avitar......yikes!

S

And I just came back from the groomers as well.

Trimmed with a shiny coat and nails all done.

How cheap can Princess get?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did anyone hear the latest?

Just heard from Princess and because the Florida state tax went up and we are sailing in less than 3 weeks; they don't have time to charge everyone the additional amount of 83 cents; yes 83 cents each so just received news that it will be added onto our shipboard account.

83 cents is not going to break anyone but BOY are my people upset about them nickle and dime...ing it.

Anyone else get this news from their travel agent?

But times 3100 = a few dollars.

Hey thats life and let them charge it.

One less dollar for slot machine.

How cheap can Princess get?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did anyone hear the latest?

Just heard from Princess and because the Florida state tax went up and we are sailing in less than 3 weeks; they don't have time to charge everyone the additional amount of 83 cents; yes 83 cents each so just received news that it will be added onto our shipboard account.

83 cents is not going to break anyone but BOY are my people upset about them nickle and dime...ing it.

Anyone else get this news from their travel agent?

But times 3100 = a few dollars.

Hey thats life and let them charge it.

One less dollar for slot machine.

Exactly. It adds up. :)

Archived