Best Roundtrip Seattle itinerary?

Desert star

We are considering booking an Alaskan cruise this summer roundtrip from Seattle. I am wondering what everyone’s opinion is of the best itinerary and cruise line for this trip?

I know the north or south routes are the favorite, but would like to start with something simple.

We are considering booking an Alaskan cruise this summer roundtrip from Seattle. I am wondering what everyone’s opinion is of the best itinerary and cruise line for this trip?

I know the north or south routes are the favorite, but would like to start with something simple.

We were trying to make the same decision several months ago. We went with the Westerdam because it includes Glacier Bay as well as being one the few to have 12+ hours in Juneau which is where a large number of the excursions we wanted are located - with more time we can fit more of them into the day. A bonus to us was that we like the first day out being the sea day to let us spend the first day exploring the ship. Not having been to either Sitka or Skagway, we were indifferent on that being a determining factor.

We did the NCL Pearl and enjoyed it. Since you have been on the Jewel, its basically the same ship with a bowling alley.

It had the things we were looking for. Glacier Bay was top of our lists and while we didn't get to see much calving, it was still pretty amazing. There are a couple of half days stops that make things a bit more challenging (Juneau and Ketchikan and Victoria) in that you don't get a lot of time.

We were traveling with the family and liked the freestyle option. Although we elected when traveling without the family to do Carnival.

Its not a simple decision and lot depends on what you want to do and much more. I don't think that any choice would be a major dissapointment.

Here are some photos from our trip

http://www.flickr.com/photos/roseoftexas/collections/72157601829385443/

Enjoy

Thanks for the information and opinions.

I would really like to see Glacier Bay, but is it me, or is HAL about twice the price of Princess? Maybe I am not navigating their site right.:o

Both Princess and HAL cruises can be booked for less (through discounters) than by booking directly with either cruise line. HAL might be a little more, but it shouldn't be twice as much as Princess. When looking at HAL's site, make sure you haven't added air, insurance, or transfers.

Holland America's Westerdam is one of the few ships sailing out of Seattle that goes to Glacier Bay and it is the only ship out of Seattle that has the time window that allows you to take a day cruise to Tracy Arm. If you like to look at glaciers and spectacular scenery, this is your best choice out of Seattle. My second choice would be the Norwegian Pearl because it goes to Glacier Bay. Go to cruise.com to get the various itineries and relative pricing for this trip in one site.

Though I have never sailed HAL to Alaska, I kind of agree with Nancy, because their itinerary includes Sitka, which none of the others sailing from SEA do, and Sitka is a good port, and less crowded than the others due to the few ships that call in there.

Our Celebrity Infinity cruise is going to Sitka.

I agree, Glacier Bay is just excellent and a great choice with a round trip Seattle sailing. I too would suggest NCL or HAL.

Also the Star could be a good option- IF you budget into your funds the add on Tracy Arm jet boat tour, absolutely necessary in my opinion.

Pricing can be all over the board and changes frequently. It's important to compare several agencies/discounters- total costs- with all taxes.

To Princess of Quite a Lot

Have been watching the posts for the Tahitian Princess in preparation of our cruise in March and just loved your underwater photos of the cruise. Would you mind telling me what type of camera you used as they are the clearest we have ever seen????

Thanks so much.

Gail & Nels - You can email me at gnchristenson@hotmail.com

I was in the same position you are just a couple months ago. After numerous posts and research I decided on the Westerdam out of Seattle. For our first time in Alaska I really wanted to see Glacier Bay and there were also alot of positive comments about Sitka.

When I booked, the price for HAL was comparable to Princess and we booked an SY suite. Princess may have been a few dollars less, but not much at all.

I was in the same position you are just a couple months ago. After numerous posts and research I decided on the Westerdam out of Seattle. For our first time in Alaska I really wanted to see Glacier Bay and there were also alot of positive comments about Sitka.

When I booked, the price for HAL was comparable to Princess and we booked an SY suite. Princess may have been a few dollars less, but not much at all.

I was considering the Westerdam because of the great itinerary, but read not so favorable reviews. My other concern about HAL is that I my 12 YO will feel out of place. I know how much some people on these boards feel about childern on cruises, and I have heard that they are a mainly adult ship.

Has anyone taken their childern?

I was considering the Westerdam because of the great itinerary, but read not so favorable reviews. My other concern about HAL is that I my 12 YO will feel out of place. I know how much some people on these boards feel about childern on cruises, and I have heard that they are a mainly adult ship.

I've taken my kids on HAL, an excellent line for Alaska. Don't expect a lot of kids on any Alaska cruise, far far less than the Caribbean.

My opinion only, I recommend going to Alaska for the adults, kids usually adjust well to any cruise. :) There is so much outside the ship in Alaska that can make this an exciting location for everyone. Involve the kids in the touring decisions.

Also the Star could be a good option- IF you budget into your funds the add on Tracy Arm jet boat tour, absolutely necessary in my opinion.

quote]

We are on the Star Princess rt Seattle August 3 -We are only in Tracy Arm from 6AM to 10AM

Is it possible to do a jet boat tour???? Can you recommend an independent since Princess does not offer this???

Thanks. :D

We also chose the Westerdam as the itinerary includes Glacier Bay, a long day in Juneau that will allow for a Tracy Arm excursion and a stop in Sitka.

BQ, I have a question. What is the difference between a "jet boat tour" to Tracy Arm and the tour provided by Adventure Bound? Are they the same? If not, who provides the jet boat tour?

Thanks.

B

quote]

We are on the Star Princess rt Seattle August 3 -We are only in Tracy Arm from 6AM to 10AM

Is it possible to do a jet boat tour???? Can you recommend an independent since Princess does not offer this???

Thanks. :D

I believe Budget Queen was talking about the NCL Star, but I might be wrong.

Archived