Barcelona Hotels - Recommendations (merged)

Based on reccomendations of our travel agent and tripadvisor reviews, we are staying at the Regencia Colon near the cathedral. It is the sister property of the Colon which is more upscale. We're paying between 120-150 euro per night in May.

Definately check reviews before you book, I've looked at many and I can't remember which one for sure, but one of the "recommended" hotels above basically has rubbermaid storage bins for furniture! It's the one with the free beer, if I remember correctly (party on dudes!). Now if that's your gig, I say go for it! But alas, it's not for us.

When we return near the end of the month, I'll post a review on tripadvisor.

Happy travels

And your reason for putting down "one of the "recommended" hotels above" is a review by who? A friend? Family member? Business associate? If it's not someone you know well, why would that recommendation carry any more weight than the recommendation posted here?

Lets not go any further on this subject. There is always one in the crowd. Yogi asked and I gave what I had found within my limited searching. The good thing about me is that I can stay in a shack and be happy. The even better thing is my nephew lived in Barcelona for three months last year and has been a great help. My next door neighbor has been there four times and is going again next year in the summer. All I wanted was a fresh opinion.

What ever Phalix, thanks for not being helpful.

Regards

I would also recommend the Hilton Diagonal Mar. It is not in the tourist area but there's a subway station a few blocks away (great system, very easy to use). Room and service were great. We used HHonors points so can't comment on the rates.

Good luck

If you ever want to splurge, try the Hilton Diagonal Mar. Lovely hotel and pretty luxurious. The breakfast buffet was wonderful. Overlooks the med and there is a 3 story shopping mall (with a grocery store) behind it for those Coca Cola/bottled water pruchases. It is close to the port.

Hi tally10 :)

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Hilton Diagnal Mar. We are taking a Mediterranean Cruise on Brilliance of the Seas next month and will be staying at that hotel the night before our cruise, as well as the night after it.

Calling the "chest of drawers" Tupperware is like calling the Motel 6 the Ritz. They weren't nearly that nice...and the hotel was the Continental Palacete.

One other thought...if you are staying on La Rambla and there just happens to be a soccer match don't demand a balcony room unless you wish to party with the street people all night.

The hotel doesn't work for anyone in a wheel chair either. The "elevator" is on a landing with 11 steps from the street to the landing. Just thought I'd mention that in passing.

I just got back from a transatlantic with a 4 night post cruise stay in Barcelona. We stayed at Ally's guesthouse in the Eixample district, close to Gaudi's La Pedrera. The rate was 70 euros per night. The accomodations are not fancy but spacious and clean. The hostess provides a very nice breakfast every morning and is available to give touring and restaurant advice. The rooms are not air conditioned and you have to share bathrooms with the other guests. Barcelona hosted the Gran Prix auto races a week ago and while rooms were very scarce and expensive she did not increase her prices. Most hotels were charging 200 + euros a night during the races. What a great city, I could have stayed longer, more to see and do.

www.allysguesthouse.com

Have fun in Barcelona

Joe

778272731_Barcelona122.jpg.c7da0478f091cce7ddec448ea6d2d71b.jpg

We're getting to Barcelona on the morning of Nov 12, (from JFK) for a RCCL Med cruise that departs on Nov 13. Does anyone know of a very reasonably priced, but clean and safe hotel for just that overnight stay? I suppose it really doesn't matter whether its near the airport or the pier, unless being near the airport has any other advantages, so I'd probably just opt for the less expensive choice....probably near the pier. Any restaurant suggestions woud also be appreciated. Thanks

We are arriving in Barcelona on the morning of Nov 12, about 36 hours pror to the Nov 13, departure of our RCCL Western Med cruise on the Brilliance. Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced hotel that is of course clean and safe? Since its only overnight, amenities are not important. For obvious reasons I'd prefer that it be either near the airport or near the pier. I suspect the pier area would be cheaper, so I'd probably opt for that. (unless the airport location is better situated for the brief sightseeing we'll probably do.) Also, if anyone has experienced any outstanding restaurants there (both fine dining and local junk-ish food) I'd appreciate hearing about that. Thank you

We are considering booking the Continental Barcelona for next year. I know that the Continental Palacete has stairs you must manuever to get to the desk. My question is does the Continental Barcelona have the same? Do they have an elevator?

Pat848,

What a small world we live in in the northeast. I seem to remember you on the boards when we did the Brilliance Med cruise a couple years back and now we are on with you on the TA in September. As for the hotel in Barcelona, we stayed in the Continental on Las Ramblas which is the one I believe you are talking about. We would absolutely stay there again. It has an elevator because if I remember right, the hotel is on an upper floor. The elevator is VERY small so with luggage it may require someone to wait for the second trip. It is an old world hotel with small rooms but not so small you can't move about easily. Opt for a balcony room for a few dollars more. It is a great place to sit and look down on the street. It can be noisy but we considered it part of the flavor of Barcelona.

Heck, email me at fishgill2000@yahoo.com.

We've just booked the Olivia Plaza (after researching Barcelona hotels on TripAdviser). Anyone on the board stayed there? Hope it is a great hotel for our pre-cruise stay July 9-10, 2008

Thanks!

This is a great European style hotel. Never mind the plastic drawers in the end tables or the pink wallpaper. It is clean, very secure with reasonable size rooms and friendly helpful staff. One of the gentlemen at the front desk even helped us with the settings on our cell phone and got it working for us.

We had 3 “Balcony Rambles“ rooms there this April and loved it! Talk about being right where all the action is! Our balconies gave us a perfect view of everything going on below. We enjoyed free bottled water, beer and soft drinks 24/7 and the buffet was more than adequate. How refreshing when you check out and the bill is exactly the 112 Euros per night you were told it would be.

We will stay there again any time we are in Barcelona.

http://www.hotelcontinental.com/home_ramblas.htm

John & Betty

Hi John and Betty,

We have booked this hotel for our pre-cruise(2 nights) next March. We have booked a balcony room. Are there any particular rooms or floors you would recommend or not based on your stay there. Can you tell me specifically what kinds of foods were available on the buffet.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Laura

Hi Laura,

The buffet was typical hotel stuff. Coffee, orange juice, cold cerials and toast available all day and some semi soft boiled eggs in the morning. Our rooms were on the same floor as the front desk and we were very happy with them. There is an elevator to that level. I'm not sure about the upper floors.

It was Sant Gorgi's day when we arrived. He's the patron saint of Barcelona and all six million citizens were out on the streets celebrating. Boy do those people know how to celebrate! They partied until 5 AM in the morning. Be prepared for a little noise. We enjoyed it. :D

John

The Hotel is in a great location, just in front of la Pedrera in the luxury Passeig de Gràcia.

Have you seem reviews in TA, I find them useful when I look for a hotel.

His restaurant is run by Martin Berasategui one of the best Basq chefs of the moment.

Bea

Thanks!

Yes - We have been reading reviews online, but always appreciate the perspective of fellow CC members. We are there one night and are confindent it will be great but we would love any pictures, or personal reviews.

We've rented an apartment for a pre-cruise stay that is on the same block but Rambla Catalunya side. The photos of the street look lovely.

I've read about a pastisserie that is at that corner on Rambla Catalunya named Mauri's that is supposed to be good. The also have sandwiches and deli items I believe. We are hoping for good take out items (para llavar). Maybe BCN Lady knows it?

Archived