Connecticut to New York Port

CBRGRL

Take the train! (Hello neighbor!). Jump on Metro North down to Grand Central. :)

You go outside to the Taxi & grab a cab. The pier is like.....7-10 blocks away. Too far to drag your luggage, so forget walking.

Forget the bus, you know how our Devil's Highway likes to claim its daily quota and make the traffic a mess. Especially in Norwalk & Stamford areas even on a Saturday. :mad:

CBRGRL, I am wondering myself how to get to Red Hook pier in August. I live in the Hartford area and the options mentioned are not really good for me. I am on Princess and I believe they offer a bus that will pick us up in Hartford and take us to the pier. When my TA inquired about it, Princess said it cost $50 pp, but we couldn't book it until closer to the cruise date. Perhaps your cruise line offers something similar.

If, I do this, I then have to worry about parking in Hartford. It's probably a minor worry.

Take the train! (Hello neighbor!). Jump on Metro North down to Grand Central. :)

You go outside to the Taxi & grab a cab. The pier is like.....7-10 blocks away. Too far to drag your luggage, so forget walking.

Forget the bus, you know how our Devil's Highway likes to claim its daily quota and make the traffic a mess. Especially in Norwalk & Stamford areas even on a Saturday. :mad:

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrmap.htm Looks good! :D

A co-worker of mine used Ent. Bus Service and he did like it but I don't think they stop in Hartford. I might just well take the train just to avoid traffic and then take the bus to come home.

Just curious, where would you park in Hartford?

if you guys are in the Hartford area, just jump on Amtrak. One way is $33 (if you are AAA members or seniors, its alot less). It's about 2 1/2 hour ride.

You can take it straight to Penn Station, NY (which is closer to the pier) or you can take it down to New Haven, CT and transfer to Metro North.

Better than a bus...remember, we have severe traffic problems down here in the Southwestern section of CT.

There is a problem with Amtrack. :eek: There is no checked baggage except for one train, the Lakeshore Limited. The largest size you can carry on the train is 28x22x14. I had emailed Amtrack and this was the reply. So check out the site about luggage before you book. We looked into the train from Albany, NY and the one service that had checked luggage did not leave Albany until 4pm and that of course was no good.

CBRGRL, I am wondering myself how to get to Red Hook pier in August. I live in the Hartford area and the options mentioned are not really good for me. I am on Princess and I believe they offer a bus that will pick us up in Hartford and take us to the pier. When my TA inquired about it, Princess said it cost $50 pp, but we couldn't book it until closer to the cruise date. Perhaps your cruise line offers something similar.

If, I do this, I then have to worry about parking in Hartford. It's probably a minor worry.

We are sailing on the CB Princess in June. Our travel agent got us on Princess chartered bus from Worcester, MA to NYC $79 per person round trip. It ends up costing us (family of 4) $316. I think that's a good deal for us. If we drove and parked at the pier it would of cost us about $280 including the gas. This way we have less headache and someone else can do the driving.

Chesneygirl, do you know if your bus stops in Hartford? A while back there was a thread on the Princess board asking about what side of the train station the bus picks you up. I never knew the final answer. If you stop in Hartford could you post back to me and let me know? Thanks.

CBRGRL, Will you have someone drive you to the station? Or will you take a cab?

I used to work at the Capitol and had no problem with parking, but now I'm retired. The lot across from the train station charges $12 a day. That seems high to me, especially when I can park at the airport for $4.50 a day. Also, I'm not sure how safe my car would be there. We may take a cab. We have to see how much that would cost. Regardless, it would still be cheeper and a lot less stressful to get a bus out of Hartford than to drive to NY and park there.

We are sailing on the CB Princess in June. Our travel agent got us on Princess chartered bus from Worcester, MA to NYC $79 per person round trip. It ends up costing us (family of 4) $316. I think that's a good deal for us. If we drove and parked at the pier it would of cost us about $280 including the gas. This way we have less headache and someone else can do the driving.

Do you know if that bus stops in Springfield? We are in Pittsfield and trying to figure what we are doing to get to NY. :)

Do you know if that bus stops in Springfield? We are in Pittsfield and trying to figure what we are doing to get to NY. :)

As far as I know the Princess bus transit takes this path:

Boston, Worcester, Hartford, NYC.

I am about 99% sure on this. But there is always that 1% that I could be wrong. :)

Chesneygirl, do you know if your bus stops in Hartford? A while back there was a thread on the Princess board asking about what side of the train station the bus picks you up. I never knew the final answer. If you stop in Hartford could you post back to me and let me know? Thanks.

I used to work at the Capitol and had no problem with parking, but now I'm retired. The lot across from the train station charges $12 a day. That seems high to me, especially when I can park at the airport for $4.50 a day. Also, I'm not sure how safe my car would be there. We may take a cab. We have to see how much that would cost. Regardless, it would still be cheeper and a lot less stressful to get a bus out of Hartford than to drive to NY and park there.

Yes it does.

We had 2 options between the Princess chartered bus and the ENT bus tours that would of picked us up in Providence. The Princess transit was much cheaper and my travel agent was "pushing us" towards the Princess transit. She said by using their own bus service that we are covered by Princess in the event that we miss our cruise due to traffic delays or whatever else might happen. By using ENT Bus tours we were not covered. It really was a no brainer for us, especially with the price differences and Worcester is easy access for us, only 20 minutes from our house.

Did anyone ever consider a limo or van? About a year ago a group of eight members from Cruise Critic from the MA/NY area met in a common area and then chipped in for a van driver to take us to and from the NYC port. I think it ended up being around $50/pp round trip. I don't know how many people you have from the area but it might be worth looking into. You could even consider people from different ship that might be sailing out the same day or next day. It worked out great for us. We remained good friends with one of the parties and ended up taking our second cruise together this past January.

We are on the CB Princess in July and to park at the pier for our 9 days cruise is $180. So for my family of 4 it is cheaper to drive and park instead of taking any other mode of transportation.

Don't forget to add a couple tanks of gas to that price.

I drive an SUV and it is costing me $70 - $75 per fill up. I guess that's what I get for driving an SUV. :eek:

Thankfully, a normal fill up lasts me 14 - 16 days as I only putts around town most of the time...picking up and driving kids here and there to different activities.

We are thinking of just taking a taxi from Penn Station to the pier.

Archived