Any questions? We just returned from PG Jan. 16 cruise

A motu is the really neat beach by a big lagoon with fairly shallow very clear water, protected by a reef pretty far out. You can kayak and see the fish, snorkel, swim, or just lay around and relax.

As far as the catamaran being rough, perhaps this person hadn't been on catamarans before. Catamarans are by nature a little bumpy--we used to have one that we sailed on the lakes here in Oklahoma. Now if the wind was up, that was really bumpy--enough to bump you off it if you didn't pay attention--but great fun.

They also work around the kids' school schedule.

A motu is a little island out in the lagoon. The "tall islands", as they call them, with mountains, like Bora Bora or Moorea, are ringed with coral--this makes the protected lagoons that are so great for snorkeling and diving. The motus are little islands that pop up on the coral over time, kind of like a string of pearls.

Over time (think geological), the mountains in the middle gradually erode and sink, and the motus grow. So eventually you end up with an "atoll", which is just the string of pearls, but rather more solid by then. That's what the Tuomotus are, Rangiroa, Manihi, etc. They are the oldest islands, what's left over after the mountains are gone.

Bora Bora is fairly along in the process, the lagoon is large, motus are quite extensive, in some cases substantial islands. In the case of Moorea, there's not much, and the lagoon is narrower.

The dress is much more casual than I anticipated. I enjoyed that very much. My husband was fine in a Hawaiian shirt and dockers, I wore black pants and different tops, some flowered tops and some flowered pants. There was a pareo/tropical night but some did it and some didn't. It seemed that folks were more concerned with just enjoying the trip than impressing anyone. You sort of did what you wanted. No jeans or few jeans, lots of capris. Bathing suits with something to cover with when going on the tender. Water shoes a must. I was glad I took a few bathing suits and some tide to wash them out. We were in the water almost every day.

The service was outstanding. They had smiles on their face and tried in every way to make guests happy. We only caught 2 shows as we were worn out at night so I can't comment on the entertainment. The children's program in Raiatea was great as has been commented on the board. That was one we pushed to see and were glad. The food was fantastic. I heard no complaints except during the galley tour we commented on the watered down orange juice and the head of the galley showed great interest and it was better the next day. The ship is not new and there is some wear but not anything I would complain about. The beds were some of the best I've slept in. As for "mosi's" I'm guessing you may mean no-seeums but I'm not sure. I'll address no=seeums, I saw none and felt none and I really react poorly to them so they weren't an issue. The weather was a little rainy on a few days but no problem with our tours. It was very humid for those not used to that but we're from Texas Gulf Coast so we thought it was fine.

One of the many highlights was of the Voyager, the sister ship, arriving in Bora Bora. As they departed the second day, the Voyager did a "nose to nose" to our ship,then circled our ship very closely. It was an amazing site. There were horns honking and people applauding and waving; the ship then departs and a full moon rises over the mountain of Bora Bora. It just doesn't get any better than that.

why are water shoes a must?

Last time I was aboard there were people in their 80's snorkeling. You can snorkel straight from the beach at Motu Manaha, and they will give you a lesson with the equipment. Even just with a mask and snorkel and your reef shoes (obligatory if you go on a beach at all), you can wander around in the water and look at the fish.

reef shoes are obligatory? why? I have read this before and am curious. do you mean the Reef sandals in particular?

reef shoes are obligatory? why? I have read this before and am curious. do you mean the Reef sandals in particular?

I;m sorry but I have another question besides what they are.

where do you get them? thanks

Reef shoes are necessary (advised) due to the potential for sharp coral on the bottom. Remember that many areas you can stand up in and the bottom can have sharp stones, or broken off coral. They are a must when you do the drift snorkel as the current can "drift you" into the large coral and the shoes provide added protection. We also had diving gloves (found them for $15 on-line which I thought were even more useful than the shoes. Everything is razor sharp and you have to be careful. These shoes and gloves provide the added protection.

You can find both at dive shops but we bought ours online for way less (and way more convenient.

Reef shoes are necessary (advised) due to the potential for sharp coral on the bottom. Remember that many areas you can stand up in and the bottom can have sharp stones, or broken off coral. They are a must when you do the drift snorkel as the current can "drift you" into the large coral and the shoes provide added protection. We also had diving gloves (found them for $15 on-line which I thought were even more useful than the shoes. Everything is razor sharp and you have to be careful. These shoes and gloves provide the added protection.

You can find both at dive shops but we bought ours online for way less (and way more convenient.

Thanks Wayne

do you remember where online you got them?

Tevas could be used but wouldn't accomplish what you want. They are sandals and you'll get shells/pebbles in them. My husband used both Tevas and reef shoes. I wore capri water pants on the drift snorkel, some wore dive skins. Rash guards were also good for snorkeling and protecting you from the strong sun rays.

Jetscot & Nsbee - Rash guards are lightweight shirts (either short- or long-sleeved) that protect you from the sun. They have very high UV protection and are much better than cotton t-shirts for the purpose. Furthermore, they are much more comfortable for swimming or snorkeling than cotton and dry in about a quarter of the time compared to cotton. Here are the on-line places where I bought good rash guards and swim skins for our two weeks on the PG several years ago:

http://www.divingduds.com/

http://www.surfwearhawaii.com/

Lycra swim skins are excellent for snorkeling, although they are not too forgiving from an aesthetic standpoint for those of us with mature baby-boomer bodies - I looked more or less like a purple and royal blue manatee in mine. However, I did not get sun-burned and received a major thumbs-up from my dermatologist for my choice of snorkeling attire.

The HAVAA rash guards from the Hawaii site are particularly comfortable, as they are fairly loose-fitting. They are not commonly seen in French Polynesia. The guides on two of our snorkeling outings offered to trade me their shirts for my HAVAA shirts. Unfortunately, although they would have looked great in my HAVAA shirts, I would have looked quite appalling in their (much smaller and slimmer) shirts; so I had to decline the trades in the interest of sparing the other passengers on the outings the dreadful prospect of my being stuffed into a shirt two sizes too small and twenty years too young...

In any event, both of these sources are good for sun protection gear that is comfortable, perfect for swimming, and easy to dry on the clothesline over your bathtub on the PG.

Cheers, Fred

Thanks Fred. I ordered "the works" for DH and I. I think after seeing all the photos of Bora Bora on various websites, he is coming round to the idea of snorkelling. The only reason he normally doesn't go in the water is because he is so sensitive to the sun and had a holiday in Grand Cayman spoiled one time when I took him in the sea:eek:. I just hope it all arrives on time!

Janette

Although we didn't plan on doing the Anniversary Ceremony, we are very glad we did. The photo of us with leis on our head, wrapped together in a Tahitian wedding quilt (think that is what it is) with the water and mountains in the background is incredible. It's one of those things that are are fine at the time but create "forever" memories.-

Reef shoes (or water socks) are pretty easy to find in some places--here in the frozen north I've bought them in dive shops--they usually have a big box of them.

Water sandals won't do, because you can't swim in them. The water sockies are essential not only because of sharp coral, broken shell and sea urchins, but because there exists an animal called a "stonefish". It is rare, but it is highly venemous.

The ceremony was early evening, I am thinking around 6. How long it lasts depends on how many newlywed and anniversary couples there are, but not longer than 30 min. I remember we had some time between it and dinner--and we ate at 7 every night. My favorite part was seeing the couple who had been married 65 years--and they looked really young, relatively speaking. They were amazing.

For snorkeling, Neutrogena makes a sunscreen that has a 70 strength. We used the 55 and had no problem. We also took a small ziplock of laundry soap and washed out the swim suits and rash guards and yes, they were dry the next morning.

Hi Windsurfer: Not to rub it in but we are still on board. The weather has been much better lots and lots of sun. Today is our 2nd sea day on our way back. It was great to meet you and hope to see you all again on the PG

Mike and Uriah

What are the restrictions on the drinks? Can we get Amaretto and wine placed in our stateroom? Do we arrange this before we go or when we get on board? Regarding complimentary drinks - are mixed drinks included at the different lounges? Is the US dollar accepted? Do most of the shops and restaurants accept major credit cards? Also do you suggest making reservations for the restaurants as soon as you get on board. Thanks in advance for any advice. It is our first time on the PG. We leave in 21 days - our cruise is 3/1/08.

All your drinks in the lounge are included, unless you insist on super-premium brands. (Like you want a glass of Veuve Cliquot.)

You can ask for 2 bottles of liquor in your stateroom (more if you have a high-level stateroom I think.) You can ask for wine instead. Beer will be replenished as required, and I believe wine will too--you can always just order room service and get what you like (e.g., if you have a room service dinner, and ask for red and white wine, they will bring you a bottle of each.)

The currency on board is the US $. But you will establish a shipboard account once on board with a credit card, and anything you spend will be charged to it.

As for "most of the shops", do you mean on land? There is only one shop on the Paul Gauguin, and purchases there can be charged to your shipboard account as well (as will the spa.)

The shops in "downtown" Bora Bora and in Papeete accept credit cards. You really don't need any cash on board the ship.

I would go ahead and make dinner res online now. You can always cancel onboard if you change your plans. We enjoyed the French restaurant very much--ate there 2 nights. The polynesian outdoor restaurant was just ok--not really my style of food--would probably have been better off eating in the main dining room, but it was a change.

Archived