Any questions? We just returned from PG Jan. 16 cruise

I had no problem using credit cards except with a few independent sellers. Always have cash in various denominations and you'll do fine. I did find that figuring the US equivalent was a little difficult at first. I wish I would have had a small calculator. Some said that by using a credit card you got a better exchange rate. I used one when I bought the more expensive items. Have not got my bill yet so we'll see.

Mike, I wish we could have stayed longer. It was a wonderful trip and we're still recuperating. Enjoy your last few days.

I have another question that may seem silly but I want to do the 4x4 excursion and was wondering if there are snakes and other slimmy critters out there. I was able to do hiking on all the islands in Hawaii and not have to worry about seeing a snake. We have them in New Jersey and I have come across a few while out walking but for the most part they are harmless pine snakes nothing to worry about.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, of course you can. But be aware that many shops, including the market close around lunchtime on Saturday. But it's still worth a prowl, and you certain can do that. In the evenign the roulottes will be running, so you can get a snack if the ship doesn't feed you well enough!

tell me, how was the weather in the evening? most of my outfits are sleeveless and was wondering if a light sweater or shawl will be enough?? leaving next week and can't wait!!

the water shoes..were they those goofy ones from walmart/target with the rubber soles that you have to streeeeeeeeeeeeeetch on your feet? or will crocs do the job?

thanks!

Kim

think I lost the post I just wrote...

tell me, is a shawl or light sweater enough for the evenings on the ship? most of my outfits are sleeveless and I don't want to lug anything heavier if not needed...

enough with the heavy coats as it snows right now in MA..

Kim

The age range is wide. We went to an anniversary get-together and there were 5 couples celebrating 50 yrs, 1 -30-40 years,1-40-50 years, and about 15 under 30 years with one honeymooning couple. My guess would be most folks were 40-75 with most being 50-65.

We're considering the Paul Gauguin for our honeymoon this November...and we're both 27 years old...will we feel out of place on this ship as you have mentioned the age range was a bit older than us.

the water shoes..were they those goofy ones from walmart/target with the rubber soles that you have to streeeeeeeeeeeeeetch on your feet? or will crocs do the job?

thanks!

Kim

Hi Kim...

Yes, the water shoes are the ones you're talking about from Target that you have to "streeeeeeetch" onto your feet!! ;)

Crocs won't stay on your feet in the water snorkeling, so I wouldn't advise of using them!

Please let us know how your trip was when you return...enjoy your trip!

think I lost the post I just wrote...

tell me, is a shawl or light sweater enough for the evenings on the ship? most of my outfits are sleeveless and I don't want to lug anything heavier if not needed...

enough with the heavy coats as it snows right now in MA..

Kim

You certainly won't need a heavy coat! It will be hot. The ship's rooms will be cool, and a wrap of some kind (I usually take a silk one or two) is plenty. Out on deck when you're under sail it might be breezy, but the wrap will still be enough, especially for a snowbird like you (I'm one too.) Wish I was going along, but I have to wait until December!

Hi windsurfer, planning activities on a forthcoming cruise and hope you are still with this one (or if not, some-one else). This answer may be elsewhere but quick search couldn’t find.

Can you tell me exactly or describe where the Paul Gauguin docks or anchors at the following places:

Papeete, Raiatea, Taha, Bora Bora, Huahine and Morea. Thank you.

Uhh, can't tell you Huahine, and Moorea is uncertain. For the rest:

Papeete: the main cruise dock right downtown, not any deviation

Raiatea: I have heard they now dock--only one dock, right downtown (such as it is)

Taha'a: anchored within sight of Taha'a and the motu (with Bora Bora in the distance)

Bora Bora: out in the lagoon off Vaitape the first day (if on the 7-day), then over towards the motu (Pearl hotel) the second day

Moorea: either Cook's or Oponohu Bay, both stunning.

Sorry, don't need to be rude, but why is it so important to know exactly where you will dock or tender? The excursion guys will know where you are--these are small islands.

Thank you for that info WTW. Would appreciate if any-one can add to that.

[WTW, we are planning some ship’s excursions but also like to do our own thing for some of the time rather than leap into the arms of the first agent looking for cruise ship tourists.

For example, at Bora Bora, I believe it is possible to cycle around the island and we did have this planned for the second day there. Does the ship anchor near the bicycle hire and if the ship moves to somewhere else (as you say) then this could alter our plan for this day.

At Raiatea, I believe you can climb Tapioi Hill for a spectacular view of four islands. Can we walk there from where the ship docks? etc etc.]

We were on the 10 day if that should make a difference. Bora Bora we docked at Vaitape Wharf for roughly 2 days.

For Raiatea. we docked at the uturoa Pier in Raiatea. As for the mountain, I can't help you there. In Rangiroa, we tendered and there were 2 tenders; one to Avatoru Pier and one to Tiputa Village. Tahaa, we tendered to the Motu but I don't think there would be bicycling opportunites there. Moorea has rental bicycles that are "widely available" according to a handout we received. Hope this helps.

Yes, it does windsurfer.

Should be able to reach Tapioi Hill from Uturoa, Raiatea and biking back to Vaitape wharf Bora Bora should be no problem.

Guys, I also had a closer look at the map on the RSSC website:

PAU080426.gif

which actually gives a good idea where the ship anchors/docks. This map also has an interactive zoom satellite facility which is excellent. Looks from this that at Huahine the ship anchors/docks at Fare although one of the guide books does say cruise ships like to anchor in Maroe Bay. Anyway thanks for the input – I’m quite OK with this now.

Last week we docked only in Papeete. The Tahitian Princess was docked in Raiatea, Tahaa we anchored right off the Motu Mahana, Bora Bora we anchored off Vaitape and stayed there both nights, and Cook's Bay in Moorea.

We will be on the 9 day PG cruise leaving on April 26. We have cruised about 7 times in the Caribbean before, and once in Hawaii, but have not done much snorkeling. I understand about the water shoes and "rash guards," but what do you advise about snorkels and masks? Is it a good idea to invest in and bring your own mask and breathing tube, or do you just use what is provided on various excursions or off the ship? Also, does anyone know how the "motu picnic" arranged by the PG in Huahine compares to any you could book independently on other islands? Our daughters want to "buy" one for us as a birthday/anniversary gift, and so far we're planning to book it through the ship as being the most reliable.

The PG provides mask, fins and snorkel from the sports platform in the back of the ship. You get your set first day and keep it for the duration. It always has worked for me. They will help fit your mask so you won't have leakage problems, like my wife has had at times. Dominique and his team are very patient and work with everybody to help them enjoy the water.

The snorkel gear on the ship is good. We took our own but we had problems with one of our masks so we used theirs and it was good. I don't know about a motu picnic on Huahine. We had the ship's motu picnic on Tahaa and it was great. We had read on the boards that it's not to be missed and that is correct. We did a tour in the morning and arrived at the motu for lunch. This is the free motu picnic. There may be one in Huahine that is a paid tour. I don't know about that.

As for the tv jacks asked by someone else, my husband thinks that's not a problem but we really didn't use them. We had the laptop for pictures. A powerstrip is good for additional outlets if you have a number of electronic devices; just in case you're into photos like we are.

We were on the 1st March sailing and loved it. The ship is old but nice and the staff are wonderful!!!! We had great weather with just an odd shower. One word of warning be careful of the currents! Two men got carried out beyond the pier in Tahaa and one drowned. I'm not a particularly strong swimmer and struggled a couple of times against the current. It's so easy to get carried further than you realise, while watching the beautiful fish - the water is stunning!

We were also on the March 1st cruise and enjoyed it greatly. The weather was great except for a few showers here and there. Yes someone did pass away at the Motu but we heard he had a heart attack. He was well in his eighties and had open heart surgery. The staff was excellent and the food was great. Want to book another trip for next year for 11 or 14 days. Now I have to convince my roommate (the better half). :o

Archived