What a Disappointment!

BostonBud

Did you go with the ship's excursion?

Yeah, I don't recall who the dive shop was though, they're shack was near the port since we stopped there after the dive and we could have bought beers and hot dogs.

The dive operator that does the ship's excursions is Oasis. They keep the cruisers separate from the land based divers and take them to close by "beginner" sites as you found out.

I love Grand Turk, we used the beach at the pier, took a walk and then swam in the pool, it was a great day. There was a DJ at the pool and they were doing contests all the time we were there, the wife and son enjoyed the swim up bar. We just booked a return trip. Included in the cruise is half moon cay which is another great stop.

For the record I love St. Thomas as well but have had enough of San Juan. We like the eastern better than the western.

The beach is beautiful but rocky.

2301783590102755439S425x425Q85.jpg

DD & I have done the Horseback Ride & Swim on 3 consecutive stops at Grand Turk. A plus is that it's at the northern tip of the island, so just getting there gives you an island tour. Depending on the driver, you'll get a good history lesson as well.

2927079110102755439S425x425Q85.jpg

I love this picture! This is what a vacation is all about. We had a blast!

I'm not a swimmer/snorkeler, and the only place I like to really just do a "beach day" is at Half Moon Cay.

Grand Turk isn't my favorite stop, but it can be a nice, relaxing day. If you are all about excursions or shopping, then you'll probably be bored. I hate Margaritaville. If I want a crowded pool with overpriced drinks, I'll stay on the ship where at least the food is paid for!

Grand Turk is just a beach day. I wouldn't do any tours unless it is Scuba. The Beach is pretty nice and is located right at the dock. The shops are all typical cheesy tourist traps. Margaritaville is pretty nice with the pool, they have an interactive DJ that sort of creates a big party with different games and activities. But drinks are $$$$( $10 for a 12oz margarita I think pitchers are around $35-40). The servers also wait on the folks at the beach to. When we were there last Dec, we were sitting next to the band and show dancers all day. Even the captain took a beach day. I had a photo of him posted but it upset some people here so they removed it.

The island is a good change for anyone like me who is tired of Nassau, Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Puerto Rico, ect. .

miracle0888.jpg.cdfe5cf80cb7048db209fdeecc89edce.jpg

The cost is $44 pp which includes tax. The beach is small and secluded so not the same scale as Jimmy Buffet's area. When Jimmy Buffet goes to Grand Turk, he stays at the Grand Turk Inn so I think that says something. We liked it very much for a relaxing day and if you want to take your own wine or liquor you can and they provide soft drinks and water with the homemade lunch.

Bob

Hi, Smartcookie. I was also interested in bike rental on Grand Turk, so was searching the destination board for ideas. I'll be on the 4 day April 27, which I think you're also on. (Your username looks familiar, anyway, from the Roll Call.)

I preliminarily booked the excursion offered by Princess, "Bike, Hike, Swim", but at $60 it's a little pricy for a bike rental. However, since I'd be going alone, I'd rather be with a group than peddling around solo. I always feel a little cautious about that.

The other interesting thing I found, outside the excursions, is a snorkeling and beach bbq at Gibbs Cay. That's $60 each but includes the boat ride to the cay, lunch, and rum punch. However you need 4 people to book it.

Good luck finding a bike. I'll bet the island is beautiful, and can't wait to see it!

We are going in May. Is the large swimmimg pool that is there an excursion? Pay for the day? Is it within walking distance from the port we dock at? I see the excursion for beach day, but it doesn't mention the swimming pool.

Margaritaville has a great pool with swim up bar. Yes, it is a little pricey for drinks/food, but we had a blast there. It is located on the beach and is the first thing you see when docking. We spent the majority of our day there. If you have young kids with you, however, it may not be the place for them.

I was in Grand Turk last November. I did a terrific snorkel and sting ray excursion and then taxied into town for lunch. I passed through the stores on my way back to the ship but didn't spend much time in them. I'm looking forward to my return there on my May cruise so I can spend some time exploring the island.

• 2 weeks later...
I assumed Grand Turk is a beautiful, sparsely populated, low-key island...which is EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Tell me BostonBud, do you like St. Thomas? I hate it. I'm hoping Grand Turk is nothing like it!

I hate St Thomas and Grand Turk is nothing like it at all, I loved Grand Turk, it is, what it is :D

I went to the Turks & Caicos Museum in Cockburn Town while DH was doing a scuba dive. I wrote about it here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=710166

Really gives you an idea about the history of the island, etc.

DH & I LOVED Grand Turk, once we got away from the tourist-ville near the pier. It was so lovely and largely "unspoiled" compared to other ports of call. Wish we would have had a full day instead of 1/2 day. I wanted to get to the lighthouse, but didn't make it. Maybe next time! :p

Vanilla,

The swimming pool is free and right at the pier. If you want drinks you must pay and they are not cheap. A beer was more than $6.00 and my margarita was more than $10.00.

You do not need an excursion if you are happy by the pool or the beach right at the dock.

Personally I was happy to go on my golf cart adventure. See golf cart thread for more info.

LOVED this stop . :D Took a cab and mini tour to Pillary Beach great beach 12 of us there. Little bar and restaurant and lots of snorkeling. My kind of day for sure. Can't wait to go back. Grabbed a real estate book while we were there - who knows maybe you can stop by our place the next time you're there,let's hope!:D

LOVED this stop . :D Took a cab and mini tour to Pillary Beach great beach 12 of us there. Little bar and restaurant and lots of snorkeling. My kind of day for sure. Can't wait to go back. Grabbed a real estate book while we were there - who knows maybe you can stop by our place the next time you're there,let's hope!:D

Hi Copper6606,

Your post was just what I was looking for. Three girlfriends and I are going on the Princess 4 day cruise April 27. We reserved the snorkel excusion at Governors Beach, but your post sounds more like what we are looking for. Did you just get a cab on your own or was it an excursion. Did you rent the snorkeling gear at Pillary Beach? We would like something more secluded. Was the little bar and restaurant pricey like they say Margaritaville is? Thanks for your info.

:)

Hi, boy am I glad you posted. I was on my way to Governors Beach but when I mentioned that I was looking forward to good snorkeling she said" oh, there are no fish there at all - but it's a beautiful stretch of beach!" She said if I wanted the best snorkeling I would probably have to go out in a boat to the reefs but that Pillary Beach was pretty good. The fish were pretty darned good if you ask me .The beach was gorgeous as well. You just have to swim out and around a bit. You'll find the coral where there hiding. There was a small bar and restaurant there and the prices weren't bad. I had the conch fritters and they were delish!

We caught a cab right at the cruise ship area. We asked her to do a bit of a tour if she could The price was $4.00 to Governors Beach and $7.00 to Pillary[ they're not all that far apart.]

The ships snorkeling tour boat made a stop at our beach for about 20 min. I wouldn't be happy if that was me - not much of a snorkel and beach day if you ask me . Not near enough time at this beach. There was snorkeling gear to rent. I only needed mask and snorkel and they charged $10.00. The lounge chairs we $5.00. Friends went to Governors Beach and then ended up coming to Pillary- they were glad they did. By the way I just asked the cab driver to come back at an appointed time and she was there right when we asked her. Hope this helps.

We loved Grand Turk! We booked a fishing trip (don't see that particular one anymore) and enjoyed our day so much that we are planning to go back in '09. Enjoyed the time after at the pool with the band, and do agree that the drinks are quite pricey. All in all, it was a heavenly day.

I'm heading here on the Destiny next year and I can't wait! It sounds like a great relaxing beach day to me. We are considering Governor's beach for some snorkeling..maybe at the Bohio Resort. Or the Grand Turk Inn for a relaxing day with lunch served. It sounds like heaven to me. I love getting away from the crowds. :)

After posting here I read this today.......Grand Turk was named the Most Unspoiled Caribbean Destination

http://carnival-news.com/2008/03/14/grand-turk-named-%e2%80%98most-unspoiled-caribbean-destination%e2%80%99-in-porthole-magazine%e2%80%99s-annual-readers-poll/

Goes to show you.....different strokes for different folks. :)

I'm heading here on the Destiny next year and I can't wait! It sounds like a great relaxing beach day to me. We are considering Governor's beach for some snorkeling..maybe at the Bohio Resort. Or the Grand Turk Inn for a relaxing day with lunch served. It sounds like heaven to me. I love getting away from the crowds. :)

WE were just there and the locals said that Governor's beach is lovely but doesn't have great snorkeling.Pillary beach was suggested to us.[ just down the road a little] We were pleasantly surprised. What a great day!

WE were just there and the locals said that Governor's beach is lovely but doesn't have great snorkeling.Pillary beach was suggested to us.[ just down the road a little] We were pleasantly surprised. What a great day!

Thanks for the info to all who posted about this beach....ok, Pillary beach it is! :) I love to snorkel and want to best spot from shore.

I just have to shake my head at the "there's nothing to do" posts - about ANY port of call!

:confused:

Of course there are things to do! It just depends on what it is you enjoy!

I like St Thomas and San Juan and Grand Turk and Grand Cayman and, yes, even Nassau and Jamaica!

All for different reasons.

But then, I don't understand why people cruise and then want to stay on the ship. But that's just me.

I want to see EVERY island and see all there is to see and do all there is to do. And, sometimes, I want to do absolutely nothing but sit on the beach (Half Moon Cay is one of my favorites just for that reason).

There's a time to "do" and a time to relax.

If people can't find anything to do (even if that "doing" is just relaxing), then I consider that to be a personal problem! :p

My group of 9 was in Grand Turk in January. I planned on posting before this but my computer was down.

We did not book an excursion of any type when we were there. 6 of us took a cab in what they call town and while on the way the cab driver gave us a guided tour. she was quite funny. she dropped us off at the end of town and we walked back towards the way we came. it is the same route the hop on hop off bus takes and it was a nice walk. we looked at the water read the signs... this is where columbus first stopped in the "new world" and also where I think John Glen dropped into the ocean after his flight. It was raining so the local shops were closed but what we saw was not very good The walk as said was interesting, especially if you like to find out history of the place you are in. The driver told us she would pick us up at a little bar where she said they made the best fried conch in the world....and it was....also the best margaritas....and very reasonable. Most of the people in the bar were snorklers and divers who frequented Grand Turk just for that. We stopped in to look at the Grand Turk in and the owner was very gracious. The driver picked us up and back we went to the port. Cost of afternoon was $72.00 plus tip hop on hop off would have been $32 plus tip each.

Many people seem to say that the shops at the port are the same as everywhere else. If you are shopping for alchohol, they are wrong. The prices here were much better on the ship and much much better than our stop in Nassua. Do your homework and you will be presently surprised.

Grand Turk was not the typical tourist trap. It had more real life. Enjoy that.

Archived