Thank You, Money Saved!!

Ski-Lady

Thanks to the information I found from reading the posts here I have been able to save $200.00 pp since we first decided to book.

RCL has dropped the price of the cruise twice since we booked. I have called them and they have reduced our fare to the new posted rate.

I would have never even thought to watch the fares much less call to get them reduced without the info I found here.

THANKS EVERYONE!! :D :D

I guess I lost at the price drop game this time around. I booked Mariner in Nov. for May sailing and have been watching diligently and what I seeing is the price going up. So far my balcony room had gone up over $400 pp and now sold out so don't see it ever going down. Oh well I guess I'll just have to accept the diamond, credit card OBC, CA coupon and TA benefit lol. But I will still check RCCL.

I guess I lost at the price drop game this time around. I booked Mariner in Nov. for May sailing and have been watching diligently and what I seeing is the price going up. So far my balcony room had gone up over $400 pp and now sold out so don't see it ever going down. Oh well I guess I'll just have to accept the diamond, credit card OBC, CA coupon and TA benefit lol. But I will still check RCCL.

And gloat that you got in at the lowest price in the first place!

Never thought twice about our price since we booked our cruise last year for late February, but because of this thread I checked last night and our cruise dropped $96.00. Emailed our TA and she took care of the refund on our credit card!!!!! That takes care of the fuel surcharge!!!!!! :D

For those lucky enough to see their cruise rate drop -- Congratulations! Just remember though there are those of us who have see their cruise rates go up as much as $500 in less than a month!

I have 2 sailings booked with RCL and BOTH have risen substantially in price in less than 1 month -- same ship, different itineraries, basically same cabin category with the shorter one costing more than the longer one! Did I pick 2 very quick selling and popular sailings, or is there some other formula RCI uses to determine which sailings go down in price and which one go up in price?

MARAPRINCE

• 2 months later...

Before calling my TA, I had a couple of questions for you folks.

If I originally purchased our cruise during the WOW sale in order to get OBCs, do we keep those credits if the TA reduces our fare?

In other words, do we keep the same purchase date or does the TA have to re-book the cruise to get the new fares?

Second, does the price drop affect the TA's commission, i.e. is the TA going to do this willing or will it cause hard feelings? I like my TA and I certainly understand that she has to make a living. So is there some sort of compromise that I/she could offer.

Being an attorney, I understand that the TA is offering a service not a product -- therefore, I believe that the TA deserves compensation for the time and effort that she puts into her job. I have no problem someone making a profit--I just don't want it to be a big profit. Just like when I buy a car -- I go into the dealership with the understanding that I am not trying to the get the absolute lowest price possible because the sales person deserves a little cushion for his/her profit. I just feel there should be some middle ground where I get a good price and the salesperson gets a decent commission.

Sorry for the rambling message.

AC

Thanks in advance.

Doing the phantom booking inquiries also lets you see if better cabin locations open up for the same price. I found a $100.00 per person residency rate reduction on our Junior Suite booking and saw that another JS had opened up on the hump for our next cruise. A simple phone call and I got the hump JS with a $200 savings. :) That's why I like to book directly with RCI!

Eric

Doing the phantom booking inquiries also lets you see if better cabin locations open up for the same price. I found a $100.00 per person residency rate reduction on our Junior Suite booking and saw that another JS had opened up on the hump for our next cruise. A simple phone call and I got the hump JS with a $200 savings. :) That's why I like to book directly with RCI!

Eric

Thats right... And its also fun, to pretend your in the Grand Suite :D

I've been checking the RCCL website regularly since we booked FOS a few months ago. Today I found they were offering a senior rate on our sailing which wasn't available when we originally booked. Called our T/A this morning and received confirmation that she reduced the fare by almost $200pp! I'll keep checking between now and our sail date in the hopes of snagging a still lower fare. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Sorry to continue to be a pest :o , but does anyone have information on how requesting price reductions affect the TAs commission?

I have booked throught a travel agent and don't want to unduly affect her (understanding that TA need to make a living - see my previous post).

Any travel agents in the forums that can give their point of view?

Thanks

I'm not positive, but I believe the TA gets paid on a percentage of the cruise fare, so if the price is lowered, I would think their commission would be lowered. It's not a lot difference in the few dollars that we save. If you feel badly about your TA losing some of their commission, then have them reduce your cruise fare, and give them a monetary thank you gift of cash. I'm sure they would gladly accept it that way.

Sometimes, I forget to use common sense. I hadn't even considered giving the TA an appreciation gift.

I know "its her job", but I still appreciate it when she is prompt and has always encouraged me to call her with any questions. I think that is why I went with a travel agent. I am more comfortable speaking to someone local rather than directly with the cruise line.

Even though our cruise is Dec. 2008, I must have called and emailed her half a dozen times asking for dining time requests, birthday celebration requests, etc. She always seems happy to hear from me.

Now the next question. What would a travel agent like?

I got a tip from a fellow CC poster last week. I called RCCL about my upcoming criuse and got an AFT JS for slightly LESS $$ than my previously booked D-1!!!! I was soooo EXCITED! It pays to keep your eyes open!

Before calling my TA, I had a couple of questions for you folks.

If I originally purchased our cruise during the WOW sale in order to get OBCs, do we keep those credits if the TA reduces our fare?

In other words, do we keep the same purchase date or does the TA have to re-book the cruise to get the new fares?

Second, does the price drop affect the TA's commission, i.e. is the TA going to do this willing or will it cause hard feelings? I like my TA and I certainly understand that she has to make a living. So is there some sort of compromise that I/she could offer.

Being an attorney, I understand that the TA is offering a service not a product -- therefore, I believe that the TA deserves compensation for the time and effort that she puts into her job. I have no problem someone making a profit--I just don't want it to be a big profit. Just like when I buy a car -- I go into the dealership with the understanding that I am not trying to the get the absolute lowest price possible because the sales person deserves a little cushion for his/her profit. I just feel there should be some middle ground where I get a good price and the salesperson gets a decent commission.

Sorry for the rambling message.

AC

Thanks in advance.

FYI - because you booked during WOW, you will likely not get any additional price breaks. That sale was advertised as not-combinable with any other coupons, discounts, etc.

I'm pretty sure the reduced prices will affect the commission for the TA. That's why some of them are reluctant to do it or charge you to make the change or reduce their "gift" for booking with them.

An idea would be to give your TA a gift card for a local restaurant. That way, she could have a nice dinner on you! I am in sales, and work on commission only, and when ever I get something from one of my customers, I am always so appreciative. It always means so much!

Archived