Anyone on a ship right now please help:)

mattR

If anyone is on a cruise ship right now can you please go to the Promenade deck and see what the benches/boxes holding extra "PFD" say. Is it

Life jackets, Life vests or Saftey vests????

Sounds to me like Personal floatation device----

I went and looked up nautical terms and a PDF is a life vest. It also had a picture of the orange vest, but it would not copy.

ArizonaCruiser85374

"There will be no dying cats tonight being brought back to life." :D

PFDs come in a variety of shapes, colors, and materials. The most important thing to remember is to choose the right one for you. Consider what kinds of boating you may be doing. You may need more than one PFD. Try on your selection and have everyone who boats with you try on theirs. Is it comfortable? Can you adjust it for a snug fit? Will the color be visible when you are in the water? (Your best choice is a bright color, or at least a PFD with reflecting tapes. These are easiest for rescuers to spot against dark blue or green water.)

Read the PFD label to be sure it is made for people of your size and weight and it is made for the type of boating you plan to do. Labels may show recommended use but manufacturers are not required to state categorically a specific use for a particular PFD. If a PFD is labeled with an "Impact Class" ("Effective on impact at speeds up to [XX] MPH") you know that it has been tested by water impact for strength at the speed stated. This, however, does not mean it will give you personal protection. It only means the PFD will withstand that impact.

Sorry didn't leave the building just at work so just checking back now:)

No it isn't a bet:(

We are decorating our req room with a cruise theme and want to paint the proper term on a wooden toy chest:)

No emergancy just wanted the propper term and would like to finish the chest this weekend:)

Sorry didn't leave the building just at work so just checking back now:)

We are decorating our req room with a cruise theme and want to paint the proper term on a wooden toy chest:)

No emergancy just wanted the propper term and would like to finish the chest this weekend:)

LOL....thanks! I was worried. Now I can sleep tonight!:)

The room sounds nice, good luck with it.

We are decorating our rec room with a cruise theme and want to paint the proper term on a wooden toy chest:)

I am HYSTERICAL over this, Matt! I, too, was CERTAIN that you had a wager going with someone over what the two of you remembered from a cruise!

Have fun with your renovations. Hey, if you complain to RCI about something having to do with your muster drill, maybe they'll send you a life jacket, whistle and all! ;)

Carol

sure I could post some pictures:) Still getting mixed answers between life jacket life vest and saftey vest?? Did a webshots search but came up empty:(
And I think they called it something else on the movie Titanic.---I'll have to think about it.......

If it is a Coast Guard Inspected vessel, it has to have the Words "Life Jacket" stenciled in black on the outside of the box with the number of Life Jackets enclosed. If it is a vessel registered out side of the US, ISO says it has to have a picture of a Life Jacket in Fluorescent Orange on a Green back ground attached with the number of Life Jackets stenciled next to it. LA lot of the times you will see both the words and the symbol.

My hubby is a coastie... and he was the Officer on Duty one day and was there when the TC (otherwise known as the radio man) was talking to a vessel in distress. One of the first things he asked the man in the vessel was if he had on his PFD -- the man sharply answered "What the h*** does it matter what kind of underware I have on!"

Lucky it wasn't a serious situation... I still chuckle everytime I hear someone ask about a PFD....

Oh... the correct term the Coast Guard uses is PFD -- Personal Floatation Device -- but more often than not they have to eventually say Life Jacket!

Archived