1/2 lbs garlic cloves, roasted

2 T olive oil

1 sprig thyme

2 1/4 T butter, unsalted

2 T dry white wine

2 T sherry

1/2 LB onions, finely chopped

1/3 cup all purpose flour

2 quarts vegetable stock or water (I used homemade chicken stock which worked really well)

1/2 lb potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced

2 sprigs thyme

1 bay leaf

salt and pepper to taste

1/2 loaf rye bread, cut into cubes

2T olive oil

To roast the garlic, spread cloves out on a sheet tray and toss with 2 T olive oil and 1 sprig of thyme. Roast at 375 for 20 minutes.

In a soup pot, melt the butter. Add the roasted garlic and onion and sweat (low heat) for 10 minutes).

Add the white wine, bay leaf and the other two sprigs of thyme. Stir well and reduce by half.

Add the flour and mix in well, stirring until it is smooth.

Slowly, add the stock or water, whisking constantly. When smooth, add the potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove the bay leaf and thyme springs. Using a blender or an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth and season with salt and pepper.

For the rye croutons, heat the olive oil in a non stick skillet and add the croutons, tossing continually until they are browned and crisp.

Garnish the soup with parsley and croutons.

(My own note). Take note if you use a blender to mix hot ingredients. Only fill the blender half way and keep a firm grip on the lid of the blender. Otherwise you'll have soup all over your kitchen. If you use a blender, you'll likely have to puree in batches. If you have an immersion blender, you can puree right in the pot.

Enjoy.

Marle7

Just finished making it. It wasn't even hard. Tastes Great! Thanks for the recipe.

Excellent! I'm glad you liked it. No, it's not a difficult recipe to make and you can roast the garlic in advance if you want.

• 5 years later...

When my Dad was alive I made garlic bread soup for him every year on his b-day, its similar but less ingredients. The worst part was keeping myself from eating it all as I made it. Now that Dad is gone I dont make it as much.

Yields 8 servings

Ingredients

2 T olive oil

1 sprig thyme

2 1/4 T butter, unsalted

2 T dry white wine

2 T sherry

2 quarts vegetable stock or water (I used homemade chicken stock which worked really well)

2 sprigs thyme

1 bay leaf

salt and pepper to taste

2T olive oil

To roast the garlic, spread cloves out on a sheet tray and toss with 2 T olive oil and 1 sprig of thyme. Roast at 375 for 20 minutes.

In a soup pot, melt the butter. Add the roasted garlic and onion and sweat (low heat) for 10 minutes).

Add the white wine, bay leaf and the other two sprigs of thyme. Stir well and reduce by half.

Slowly, add the stock or water, whisking constantly. When smooth, add the potatoes and simmer for 30 minutes.

Remove the bay leaf and thyme springs. Using a blender or an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth and season with salt and pepper.

For the rye croutons, heat the olive oil in a non stick skillet and add the croutons, tossing continually until they are browned and crisp.

(My own note). Take note if you use a blender to mix hot ingredients. Only fill the blender half way and keep a firm grip on the lid of the blender. Otherwise you'll have soup all over your kitchen. If you use a blender, you'll likely have to puree in batches. If you have an immersion blender, you can puree right in the pot.

Enjoy.

Thank you. I was going to buy the cookbook just for the recipe but it was not in there.

Yields 8 servings

Ingredients

2 T olive oil

1 sprig thyme

2 1/4 T butter, unsalted

2 T dry white wine

2 T sherry

2 sprigs thyme

1 bay leaf

salt and pepper to taste

2T olive oil

Enjoy.

Oh my God! I've googled and googled and never been able to find this recipe. Thank you!

Thanks for the recipe. This is one of my favorites. The other is Jalapeno Potato which I had on Radiance this past October. Does anybody have the recipe for that?

Just take out the garlic and substitute 1/2 Cup of finely diced jalapenos. Add 2 tsp Camino powder. My recipe calls for a cup of Half n Half also.

Archived