UAL New luggage Policy

pms4104

It won't effect most of the business travellers, they'll likely have "Status". According to this new policy, I can still check 3 suitcases weighing 70lbs each. This isn't going to affect many business travels.

This was just United's turn to go first, the others will follow, just like the fuel surcharges.

That's what I said.:p

I hope this is the nail that seals the coffin for United Airlines. This is ridiculous. Just another way to rip off passengers. I know gas prices have gone up. Not our/passengers fualt. But they (airline companies) are making it so we won't be able to travel. They are hitting, like our current govt., those that make the least. It's crazy. If I could go over 50#, maybe I could get it down to one bag but to have enough clothes and such for any vacation over 3-5 days, 1 bag won't work........I can't wait to see what people bring in their carry on baggage. lol.........

I agree.....I always choose an aisle seat and I'm tired of getting hit in the head with backpacks that people have slung over one shoulder. Or bringing on the big duffle bags. When we flew on Horizon Air they were very strict about what you could bring on board with you since their overhead bins are very small. That was a pleasant flight and getting off the plane took no time at all!

Well you should all steer clear of United then. Once this 2nd bag takes effect - you will see many people try and push the carryons even more then they already do.

For us it isn't an issue as we have a wonderful little 6yr old who allows mom plenty of room in her bag for extra clothes. :D

If it was just DH and I there would be a problem. We always carry a garment bag for cruises and most other vacations DH is checking golf clubs.

We have a flight on United in March but that will probably be our last.

By the way, I hate those people too. We carry on a laptop bag and my small sack with camcorder/camera/magazine/coloring stuff for DD. I HATE carryons and loathe people that feel the need to bring everything aboard. Not only is there never enough room but it takes everyone so darn long to get off the plane too.:mad:

They just lost us as a customer...as well as a few (hundred) thousand others.

Its impossible to pack just one bag under 50 pounds for a 10 day ++ cruise, add the fact you can't carry on liquid's and other things from the past and you've got minimum of 2 bags plus a carry on per person.

Bye- bye United!

I hope other carriers don't follow suit. :eek:

The people who run southwest and jet blue must be dancing in the aisles right now!

We fly AA because their hub is DFW. AA is imposing restrictions on domestic baggage as well.

We will be switching to another carrier, no problem!

Its impossible to pack just one bag under 50 pounds for a 10 day ++ cruise, add the fact you can't carry on liquid's and other things from the past and you've got minimum of 2 bags plus a carry on per person.

It might be impossible for you! It is not impossible for everyone. We did a three week land trip with one suitcase each under 44 lbs. Geez, the sky is not falling.

It might be impossible for you! It is not impossible for everyone. We did a three week land trip with one suitcase each under 44 lbs. Geez, the sky is not falling.

Well - guess that means I have to leave my heavy jeans, travel iron, candles & crock pot at home if we intend to fly. :D

The people who run southwest and jet blue must be dancing in the aisles right now!

We fly AA because their hub is DFW. AA is imposing restrictions on domestic baggage as well.

We will be switching to another carrier, no problem!

You're the 2nd person that said AA's imposing restrictions but I haven't seen any press releases from AA nor anything on their website. Where are you getting your information?

Don't forget your own coffee pot and pillows as well :)

Shhhh! I was hoping to sqeeze those in my jumbo carryon that I was going to smack people in the head with when I couldn't lift the 51# thing over my head to get it in the compartment! :D

(I have to admit, I hadn't heard the pillow one.... do people do that? :eek: )

Shhhh! I was hoping to sqeeze those in my jumbo carryon that I was going to smack people in the head with when I couldn't lift the 51# thing over my head to get it in the compartment! :D

(I have to admit, I hadn't heard the pillow one.... do people do that? :eek: )

Yeah, I have friends who take their own pillows :(

It's probably just a very short matter of time until all the major US carriers start charging since UA is doing it. And it may even go for any luggage at all! It's going to be tough on cruisers, esp., w/the formal night clothing - and esp. on a longer cruise. But they are affording a nice vacation so maybe that's not so bad. But some people are small and can't handle a suitcase that has 50 lbs. worth of stuff in it, yet they might be able to manage 2 smaller ones. And what about people bringing babies along? Maybe it's all they can do to make the trip back home to see the grandparents? We all know how much stuff they have to bring along on a trip. Since it's not a matter of the plane being able to handle the weight, I am not very happy about this. Now we have to pay to get a window or isle seat on some carriers. Soon they will be charging us to use the restroom or for toilet paper or water. Guess it's the future but I hate to see it. I'd like to see the airlines make money as well. (My brother is a pilot for a major carrier.) But I think there are ways other than this. (Maybe the CEO's could give up just a fraction of their enormous salaries instead?)

Is this new baggage restriction for RCCL passengers on United flights only? I booked my airfare separately and my friend will more than likely book his thru RCCL.

This policy has nothing to do with RCCL. It is a United policy.

Basically, starting May 5th for any tickets booked from today forward, United will charge $25 for a 2nd checked bag - it won't matter how you booked. Be aware that if your friend has not yet booked, then he will be subject to this policy because it went into effect today. You won't because you booked before today.

I hate playing devil's advocate here, but many of my friends (and dh) are in the aviation business. This isn't so much about getting one over on the little guy or to try and nickel and dime passengers. With oil prices skyrocketing it's costing more and more to put a plane into the air. I was watching a show a while back where a full jet going from the east coast to the west coast made only, I think, $200 after operating costs. One less person and the plane would have run in the red. Extra luggage creates a drag that costs the airlines money and with so little room in the operating budget, airlines are starting to either strictly uphold their weight limit for baggage or to limit the number of luggage. I know it would be easy to just charge more per person, but then people comparing prices would see that one airline is charging more than the others. Plus, that penalizes everyone and not just the people who bring extra luggage.

It's just a tug of war between operating business and the economy.

P.S. I hate people who bring on carry-ons. Not only is cumbersome and slows everything down, but there is a greater risk of things getting through security that shouldn't. But, that's a whole other thread. LoL

It's a tough business and some airlines are fighting to stay alive. They don't want to raise fares because that hurts their competitive edge since most flyers are looking for the lowest prices.

So instead they try to make some extra revenue by charging for baggage and cutting some perks like in flight meals. But if all the airlines follow suit I don't really see the point. People will just start choosing their airline based on the total cost.

I hate playing devil's advocate here, but many of my friends (and dh) are in the aviation business. This isn't so much about getting one over on the little guy or to try and nickel and dime passengers. With oil prices skyrocketing it's costing more and more to put a plane into the air. I was watching a show a while back where a full jet going from the east coast to the west coast made only, I think, $200 after operating costs. One less person and the plane would have run in the red. Extra luggage creates a drag that costs the airlines money and with so little room in the operating budget, airlines are starting to either strictly uphold their weight limit for baggage or to limit the number of luggage. I know it would be easy to just charge more per person, but then people comparing prices would see that one airline is charging more than the others. Plus, that penalizes everyone and not just the people who bring extra luggage.

It's just a tug of war between operating business and the economy.

P.S. I hate people who bring on carry-ons. Not only is cumbersome and slows everything down, but there is a greater risk of things getting through security that shouldn't. But, that's a whole other thread. LoL

I don't know what show you were watching, but it is one of the biggest crocks I have heard in a long time.

If you open up the financials of a major airline you will realise that they are most certainly making alot more than $200 per flight.

This is not a personal attack by the way, just highlighting that the TV show has left you ill-informed.

The show was on A&E, I'll look it up when I get a chance.

I didn't say that all flights had that low of an overhead. I, personally, have been in transportation business and had to stand by and watch my profits get gobbled by high fuel bills. Bankruptcy taught me a harsh reality to today's economy.

I know you didn't mean to make it a personal attack, but you didn't have such harsh words for other posters in this and the other thread, who had the same reason for the baggage deal as I did. I just stated an example that I had seen.

Archived