Premium dining solo

lynelz1

Has anyone dined as a solo in some of the premium dining rooms on the ship? The ones that charge a premium? The food sounds so wonderful and many people recommend these restaurant, I would hate to miss out. However, if a solo diner would be way to obvious..then I could pass and stay in the main dining room. What do you think?

Has anyone dined as a solo in some of the premium dining rooms on the ship? The ones that charge a premium? The food sounds so wonderful and many people recommend these restaurant, I would hate to miss out. However, if a solo diner would be way to obvious..then I could pass and stay in the main dining room. What do you think?

I say go for it. I do it on every cruise. The restaurant staff have always been great when I dine solo. My opinion is to not let being solo stop me from doing anything I want to on a cruise.

It's really not much different than going to your favorite restaurant at home as a solo. Either way, when I make eye contact with the host/hostess, I always say -- flashing my biggest, most pleasant smile, "I'd like a LOVELY table for one, please!" (Read: LOVELY -- NOT by the kitchen or dirty dish station, NOT across from the bathrooms just because I'm a woman dining alone, but one of the finest tables available, preferably with a view.) It works every time!

Last July, I had dinner at Portofino on the Adventure of the Seas every single night because it was the only place on board with decent food (to my palate). The staff treated me fantastic and I would say I had even more attention because I was travelling solo.

Eating there every night also allowed me to try every single dish instead of having to choose and wondering about the rest. One night, they even modified a dish for me which I enjoyed a lot.

Similarly on my September 07 Caribbean Princess cruise, I also ate at Sabatini's one night and my experience was similar. However, I only ate there once since I felt that Princess' food was quite good (again, for my palate).

Archived