"Must do" Foods on Oceania

CruiseLiz

The French Toast and Oatmeal for breakfast at the Terrace.

The made to order Ceasar Salad at Tapas.

Any and all of the ice cream.

The French Onion Soup, Club Sandwich and Chefs Salad from Room Service.

The calamari at Tapas.

The burgers, lemonade and hot dogs at the Grill.

It was surprising on our last cruise - the food on the Terrace was much better than that at Polo or Toscana. We discussed this with several fellow cruisers who had been on other Oceania cruises. They agreed that the restaurants just "weren't up to par". The food was decent, but the hot stuff tasted like it had been under warming lamps and the cold stuff was still partially frozen.

Id like to put in a good word, here, for the Shrimp Coctail in Polo.

I seldom order shrimp cocktail as I'd usually rather be more adventurous. However, our tablemates on two consecutive cruises, raved about it so much that I finally succumbed.

The Shrimp were both huge AND delicious (which is difficult to pull off).

It is on simple dishes like this where the extra $$ that Oceania spends on food really shines thru. ;)

Id like to put in a good word, here, for the Shrimp Coctail in Polo.

I seldom order shrimp cocktail as I'd usually rather be more adventurous. However, our tablemates on two consecutive cruises, raved about it so much that I finally succumbed.

The Shrimp were both huge AND delicious (which is difficult to pull off).

It is on simple dishes like this where the extra $$ that Oceania spends on food really shines thru. ;)

Observe the attached and yearn for your next cruise....

The Shrimp cocktail is on the menu in Polo every night and is occasionally offered in the Grand Dining Room.

If you have a suite with butler service, you may have one delivered to your room whenever.....lesser mortals must go to the restaurant.

I see a change on the horizon for my food radar settings after reading this thread…

Don’t get me wrong - We love good food and have gone to extremes to get it - Guilty of making reservations for dinner at Taillevent and lunch at Jules Verne in Paris coincide for the same week in July. Made them 4-5 months in advance - wish I had had the advantage of a two line phone back then.:p

But “gastronauts” we are not and I would have to plead guilty to some, Hmmm...what word should I use? Disdain maybe? For how common parlance seems to have made cruising and eating somehow synonymous words.:o

This thread, though…I guess it would not be too hard for me to print it out and tuck it into the folder of info I am gathering for our Aug 20th sailing so I can glance at it now and then as I plan the rest of the trip details entitled “Things Not To Be Missed.” :D

lucht suiil,

You will have a great dinner at both Taillevent and Jules Verne. We always eat out at one 3 star Michelin Restaurant each time we visit Paris. I think my favourite so far is Tallevent. The service was excellent and the food was fantastic.

I know Jules Verne is not a 3 star but it is a great restaurent for the ambience and the view which is to die for. We had a lovely table by the window and overlooked the Siene.

Enjoy your time in that wonderful city.

Jennie

My fault for the confusion, Aussie Gal:o The aside about the French restaurants in my post was about meals already eaten...Taillevent still running a pretty strong 1st for best restaurants, but JV's view from the E Tower would probably make roadside BBQ taste close to 3* ;)

For Oceania Cruising: It's the ones yet to be eaten in August 2008 on Insignia Istanbul - Athens that have my focus for "all inclusive" trip food like never before after reading this thread. :D

Obie

Nobody has mentioned the incredible bread especially the one with seeds served sliced also the chilled fruit soups at lunch.

A Care Package to nibble on at departure would be a nice touch Oceania.........................

Absolutely loved the warm sticky buns topped with pistachios that the kitchen whipped up every morning. Don't miss the milkshakes at waves - every day a new adventure in ice cream!

I mean, ice cream! All the flavors are wonderful, but my favorite was the unusual prune-armagnac. So smooth and complex.

In Polo, I could not pass up the shrimp cocktail or the lobster bisque. Shrimp cocktail is such a cliche, but Regatta's shrimps are huge, plump, fresh-tasting, and perfectly cooked. Their cocktail sauce is tangy, lemony, bright, and perfect. Oh dear. Must have some now!

Avoid the lobster at all cost. It is spectacularly bad,

Avoid the lobster at all cost. It is spectacularly bad,

Is it tough and chewy with no taste? We have found this to be the case on every cruise we have been on. In fact we have stopped eating them when they are on the menu on "special nights".

Nothing can come anywhere near a crayfish from our southern waters - tender with a wonderful flavour that doesn't require any sauces, just a fantastic eating experience.;)

Jennie

Is it tough and chewy with no taste? We have found this to be the case on every cruise we have been on. In fact we have stopped eating them when they are on the menu on "special nights".

Nothing can come anywhere near a crayfish from our southern waters - tender with a wonderful flavour that doesn't require any sauces, just a fantastic eating experience.;)

Jennie

....you are killing me with the crayfish description ! Yum !

The closest we have now is crawfish season in SE Texas/Louisiana ( affectionately known as "mudbugs" they are boiled with hot spices, corn and potatoes and dumped on the table ) ....yum .....(hey---you eat what you got !)

we had something very similar in Costa Rica that was described as "freshwater shrimp" that were huge and flavorful --no pincers --very sweet meat ---dipped in melted butter ---yum (again) ...I think similar things show up in different places under different names .....

we had something very similar in Costa Rica that was described as "freshwater shrimp" that were huge and flavorful --no pincers --very sweet meat ---dipped in melted butter ---yum (again) ...I think similar things show up in different places under different names .....

Our crayfish are salt water the same as your lobsters. We do have Merron's over in Western Australia which are like a very large prawn (shrimp) but only found in freshwater and we also have yabbies here which usually are found in our dams.

Jennie

Hi all. I think Jennie and I have had this discussion on CC before. I also don't eat the 'lobster' on any cruise line, they are stringy and tasteless and can't hold a card to Australian Crayfish. I am not a nationalistic person at all, and couldn't care less whether something is Australian or from where-ever, but I just honestly think our crayfish are outstanding. I was very lucky, my uncle was a crayfisherman, so I was brought up thinking crayfish was an every day thing. He died long ago and crayfish are very expensive...I never knew what I had until I missed it. Agree with Jennie, if you are in Australia it's a must do.

....you are killing me with the crayfish description ! Yum !

The closest we have now is crawfish season in SE Texas/Louisiana ( affectionately known as "mudbugs" they are boiled with hot spices, corn and potatoes and dumped on the table ) ....yum .....(hey---you eat what you got !)

I would love some crawfish if I could get them here in Florida.

We just moved from Houston last year and are still really missing the restaurants there - I could kill for some filet mignon fajitas from El Tiempo, Goode Co barbeque and etouffee from Pappa's.

Of course we have beautiful sunsets here with no pollution, humidity or mosquitos, so there's the tradeoff I guess! :)

Back to the subject at hand. Thanks so much for everyone's input so far on their Oceania must do's.

I'll have to add my favorites here after my April 1 med cruise.

I know I have already posted to this thread once, but I just thought of something else that is a "must", Chocolate Croissants at the Terrace for breakfast.

I did not see them every morning, but always got two when I did. They are in the center section and do not look that good, but they are excellent.

All right. I can't stand it any longer. Why has no one mentioned the "volcano" dessert? It was served only one night and there was none left over the next night. They said it was their signature dessert. It was magnificent.

Archived