"Must do" Foods on Oceania

CruiseLiz

On our recent TA on Regatta we found the food not to be as good as we had experienced in the past on Insignia. Nothing really wrong with it, but just not as good as it was before. No WOW! meals on this cruise and there were lots before.

Mo

Maybe you had the WOW factor on the first cruise & the menu is similar.

Food is so subjective... depends on what you are use to, what you expect, likes & dislikes.

The food was fine, but I am a bit of a snob and to my taste it just wasn't at the level it had been in the past. But I did enjoy it and would go again.

And most people thought I was crazy when I said it wasn't as good. As LHT said, everything is relative. Since Oceania is the only cruiseline we have used I have nothing else to compare to.....and I understand that is a good thing!

Mo

Say it's not so! I booked with Oceania mainly for the food.

We have cruised on the Regatta, the Insignia and the Nautica a number of times and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the food.

Yes, different people have different standards and not everyone will agree on every point. But, given the fact that different executive chefs are on board and that the galley staff changes from cruise to cruise, Oceania has quite a high standard on quality....

You will not be disappointed!

One of my favorite things about cruising is enjoying the cuisine. Since my first Oceania cruise is coming up in two months, I was wondering...

For those who have cruised Oceania before, what are your favorite foods onboard? What dishes are "must do's" to you?

Thanks in advance for all of your yummy answers. ;)

You absolutely MUST have the crab cakes in Polo at least once:p. Two come as an appetizer but you can get more for a meal. Also MUST play trivia! We met the nicest people and have become best friends.....

do you still get more than one reservation if you're in Concierge?

Yes -- 2 reservations in each alternative restaurant guaranteed in concierge or above. Still easy to get more -- on our last cruise, they actually approached us while at lunch on the Terrace, and asked us if we wanted to take advantage of space they had in Toscanna that evening. We reserved a table for 4 without moving from our lunch, and then let the other couple know...

Still make reservations when you first embark?

Yes, most people do. But, there is no hurry unless you are looking for a specific, special evening.

Looking forward to upcoming Feb 25/09 Regatta adventure....

Our previous Holland America trip, reservations to special dining room were recommended online before voyage....

On Oceania, can you make just make the reservations re: Polo or Toscana etc. when you get on-board ???

Thanks...:confused:

Absolutely! To date, can't make those resies any earlier than boarding. If you like those venues and you are flexible, you can usually get more than your allotted guaranteed resies, just check at their desk at breakfas or lunch and see if anything is available that night.

Looking forward to upcoming Feb 25/09 Regatta adventure....

Our previous Holland America trip, reservations to special dining room were recommended online before voyage....

On Oceania, can you make just make the reservations re: Polo or Toscana etc. when you get on-board ???

Thanks...:confused:

We will be with you on the 2/25 cruise

DORIS

I am not a food junkie, but ocania has the best menus of any of the cruises I have been on.

My only advise to all of you is to get out and buy some clothes in larger sizes. You'll need them by the end of the cruise.

7 days...1 size larger

10to14days ...2 sizes larger

Longer than 14 dys...see Omar the tent maker

DORIS

Thinking of Oceania food, although it is not a "must do", I think I have finally figured out what is wrong with their English muffins.

I like my muffins toasted golden on the inside (or top side, once they are split apart). I have an English muffin every morning of my life, and I'm fussy. I prefer them broiled, but don't like to fire up the broiler on the stove for one muffin, so I do them in a toaster oven, split apart, toasted on the top side, only.

No matter what, on Oceania, the muffins come white in the center (or top). I ask for them to be toasted longer, even to dark, and they are still untoasted in the part that matters to me. I got so frustrated.

After I got home from the last cruise, it finally dawned on me what they are doing -- they use a toaster, and put both halves in the same toaster slot, and toast the outside (or bottom), which in my opinion should never be toasted.

After more than 50 muffins on Oceania, I now know what I have to do on the next cruise -- tell them to put both halves in the same slot, but backwards, with the inside out. Then, I can put my jam or preserves on the golden tops, the way I like (I love butter on an English muffin, but my concession to cholesterol and diet control is to use just jam or preserves).

Like I said, I'm fussy about my muffins, and now I think my cruise cuisine will be perfect.

• 2 years later...

I am hoping to be on the Nautica in August... just a couple of foodie questions.

Do they serve Souffle's, ie grand marnier and chocolate, Crepe suzettes, beef wellington and moules(mussels)?

The food was so good on Azamara, does it compare?

thanks

For those of us that must watch our sugar intake:

The sugar free desert, no sugar added selections are excellent.

Available in every venue, all during the day, even the tea service.

The best carrot cake anywhere, hands down.

I am hoping to be on the Nautica in August... just a couple of foodie questions.

Do they serve Souffle's, ie grand marnier and chocolate, Crepe suzettes, beef wellington and moules(mussels)?

The food was so good on Azamara, does it compare?

thanks

Once you sail on Oceania you will be spoiled forever. I don't know which is better - the service or the food. Yes to all your questions. They often serve the crepes at afternoon tea - such a treat.

Marion

Thinking of Oceania food, although it is not a "must do", I think I have finally figured out what is wrong with their English muffins.

I like my muffins toasted golden on the inside (or top side, once they are split apart). I have an English muffin every morning of my life, and I'm fussy. I prefer them broiled, but don't like to fire up the broiler on the stove for one muffin, so I do them in a toaster oven, split apart, toasted on the top side, only.

No matter what, on Oceania, the muffins come white in the center (or top). I ask for them to be toasted longer, even to dark, and they are still untoasted in the part that matters to me. I got so frustrated.

After I got home from the last cruise, it finally dawned on me what they are doing -- they use a toaster, and put both halves in the same toaster slot, and toast the outside (or bottom), which in my opinion should never be toasted.

After more than 50 muffins on Oceania, I now know what I have to do on the next cruise -- tell them to put both halves in the same slot, but backwards, with the inside out. Then, I can put my jam or preserves on the golden tops, the way I like (I love butter on an English muffin, but my concession to cholesterol and diet control is to use just jam or preserves).

Like I said, I'm fussy about my muffins, and now I think my cruise cuisine will be perfect.

If that fails, maybe they could use the crème brûlée torch on them :)

On a related topic to Don's, I hate it when they toast both sides of a burger/hot dog bun. They should only be toasted on the "inside" (to keep the juices from making the buns soggy) while keeping the outsides nice and soft. They don't seem to grasp this principle, although they might have gotten a "hint" from McDonald's or Burger King :). I am amazed that nobody had taught them this (as most of the cooks at the grill are non-Americans and presumably did not grow up grilling hot dogs/ burgers themselves).

I have only seen mussels at Jaques on Marina.

Archived