Was upgraded to a Penthouse Suite

CruisingMichelle

My husband and I were on Caribbean Princess 3 weeks ago, traveling with another couple. We booked a 2 mini suites almost a year in advance and the Friday before we left, we noticed online that both our rooms had been upgraded to a PH suite. You can image our shock and as a second time cuiser had never heard of upgrades at no additional expense. We called our travel agent and princess to find out why and they said sometimes it just happens. We were thrilled, but still shocked. Has this happend to anyone else and do you know how it happens?

My husband and I were on Caribbean Princess 3 weeks ago, traveling with another couple. We booked a 2 mini suites almost a year in advance and the Friday before we left, we noticed online that both our rooms had been upgraded to a PH suite. You can image our shock and as a second time cuiser had never heard of upgrades at no additional expense. We called our travel agent and princess to find out why and they said sometimes it just happens. We were thrilled, but still shocked. Has this happend to anyone else and do you know how it happens?

Happened to us the first time we sailed the Golden Princess. We were upgraded to a Mini-Suite from a balcony cabin...It is the luck of the draw, no rhyme or reason but whenever the upgrade fairy wants to pay us a visit the door is always open, as it was when we sailed the Mariner and were upgraded to a Grand Suite from a balcony...Later, Jill:cool:

Congrats, what a great upgrade.

Yes, it happened to someone on our roll call last August, it was their second cruise and they were upgraded from an AB mini to a PS a couple of weeks before sailing.

It seems to happen more to new cruisers on Princess (less than 3 sailings) than anyone else, from what I have read. No idea the whys or hows of the entire process though. Again, great upgrade, hope you enjoyed it to it's fullest.

Enjoy it. It does happen, why who knows. It has happened to us a few times on different lines.

We got an upgrade to a mini suite on the old Royal Princess on a Baltic cruise on Princess. Had a upgrade to a full suite on Holland America on the very first cruise we ever did with them -- we had been promised a $200 OBC by our TA -- when we got out tickets I asked for documentation for the OBC in writing -- think the TA pulled some stringes and we got the upgrade to a suite instead, it was great -- on a 10 day Carribean cruise. We had breakfast on our balcony every morning at a large round table that would seat at least 5-6 people. And then we were upgraded on a Celebrity ship, the Mercury to a Royal Suite on a 10 day cruise to Mexico a few years ago. Again a real treat. The suite was 2 rooms, with a balcony the full length of the two rooms. We loved it.

You are in for a treat, enjoy!!

Wow congratulations! If you don't mind me asking what mini suite category did you book Michelle? I just booked an AE minisuite guarantee last week and considering its now showing all minisuites as sold out I'm hoping for an upgrade to a full suite! I know its probably not going to happen...but it can't hurt to dream. :D

We were upgraded from a mini to a full suite. Imagine my shock too. Five days before our cruise I went online to make sure everything was okay with our travel arrangements because they had closed the Cruise Personalizer by then. I looked at our travel summary and it had the wrong room number. I called Princess and they said we were given a complimentary upgrade. This was our third cruise. We were so incredibly thrilled and thankful because things like this don't happen to us. And, we had the suite for the whole two weeks of the B2B. We enjoyed every minute we had that beautiful room and amazing balcony and never once took it for granted.

I am kind of new to all this cruising stuff. I haven't cruised in over 8 years. It would seem to me that upgrades happen when the particular cruise is not sold out and the upgrades have a snowballl effect on all categories as everyone gets bumped up. Congrats on your upgrade! :)

We have booked cabin L106 on Ruby for our first cruise, sounds like some of you out there have been blessed with good luck from the Fairy princess!! ...sounds like a New name for another ship...:D

Dave and Kerry.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. We did book an AE minisuite. I agree too that I think that they upgrade you so next time, you'll book that level! How can you go back to a regular room after having that!! my goodness. Let me tell ya, it is the bomb being in a PH suite. So many "extras". From laundry service to chocolate covered strawberries. Special embarkation lounge! There are few negatives too. We were on the riveria right under the lido and on island night at about 1:00AM when they were moving the furniture around we thought the ceiling was gonna collapse on us. They decided to stain the redwood furniture one morning when we went down to breakfast so we were pretty surprised to find 2 guys in our room with the door open when we came back to change into our bathing suits.

Just a thought, but with the upgrade fairy being so busy with all the different lines, has anyone given any thought as to trying to catch her?.....Ya know, some sort of humane trap, that way she will always be there for you :p

Would have to be a really well thought out plan though, shes a quick little bugger :p

Id be willing to adopt her, if you have any entrapment ideas, let me know :p

Thanks to everyone for their comments. We did book an AE minisuite. I agree too that I think that they upgrade you so next time, you'll book that level! How can you go back to a regular room after having that!! my goodness. Let me tell ya, it is the bomb being in a PH suite. So many "extras". From laundry service to chocolate covered strawberries. Special embarkation lounge! There are few negatives too. We were on the riveria right under the lido and on island night at about 1:00AM when they were moving the furniture around we thought the ceiling was gonna collapse on us. They decided to stain the redwood furniture one morning when we went down to breakfast so we were pretty surprised to find 2 guys in our room with the door open when we came back to change into our bathing suits.

From what I have read, these suites can be a bit on the noisey side, I think it is one reason why they seem to be the last suites booked for this ship and often become upgrade material. Those on our roll call said that their suite (directly under scoops) was so noisey they had to contact the front desk and had them rope off the section above their suite to avoid noise coming through their ceiling so they could sleep at night. Suites are great, the perks are wonderful, but anyone paying for this area really needs to be forwarned that they can be a bit noisey at times. Would it still be worth the upgrade? I would say definitely yes. But I don't think I would ever consider paying the cruise price to book one myself.

I do agree, it is really tough going back to a mini suite or below after having the amenities associated with a full suite on Princess, they are wonderful. ;) So glad you enjoyed it.

So, what cabin category are you booking next time? LOL

LOL...We agree with you. Way too much to pay, but hey a free upgrade. I'll take it! We gonna go back to a mini suite...Maype the fairy will follow us..we are thinking about the new Ruby...

Michelle

Yep, I agree there. We only book full suites when we can find them for slightly more than a mini (which we have actually been able to do in the past believe it or not). So, keep your eyes out, and always get pricing for both, you never know when you might get lucky and the full suite still remains inside the cruise budget line. But I definitely agree, normally it is mini suites for us on this end also. ;)

We were upgraded from a mini to a full suite. Imagine my shock too. Five days before our cruise I went online to make sure everything was okay with our travel arrangements because they had closed the Cruise Personalizer by then. I looked at our travel summary and it had the wrong room number. I called Princess and they said we were given a complimentary upgrade. This was our third cruise. We were so incredibly thrilled and thankful because things like this don't happen to us. And, we had the suite for the whole two weeks of the B2B. We enjoyed every minute we had that beautiful room and amazing balcony and never once took it for granted.

What a wonderful attitude........it sounds like you really deserved it!!:)

Archived