truth about bugs on roatan beaches

Cruiser Kris

:eek: i have heard some varying stories about the bug situation on the beaches of Roatan--sand flies/sand fleas. What is the real situation there --how bad are they and what, if any, repellent seems to work? Am just planning on beaching it with my little ones while my husband snorkles--is it worth it to get all the way over to West End Beach with the kids, with the bugs as they are?

DH and I were there last year and like you we heard all the same stories of sand flea investation on the beach. We bought all the sprays and repellants recommended and didn't spray a bit. Didn't see a flea and didn't feel a bite. Take some with you just in case, but I wouldn't worry.

My friend from work just returned from spending a week at a resort on Roatan's West Bay, and she said the sand flies and flies were not that bad on that beach. She said they only really noticed them when it got closer to dusk. She said they went on an island tour and stopped at Turquoise Bay and they noticed them there during the day, but on West Bay they didn't really notice them much. There are some milder bug sprays like skintastic on the market for children, so if you applied something like that I'm sure it won't be a big problem. There are also lots of bars & restaurants along the beach, so I'm sure you could get away from the sand if they became a problem.

Regards John

When we were there - the beaches were great. No fleas, bugs, etc. I had planned to bring the spray with me, but forgot it that day. Didn't think twice about it until I arrived home and read some more about the bugs/sand fleas on these boards.

You will have a wonderful time. What a beautiful place!

Am just back from Roatan--last Weds to be exact and we did the zipline tour with the Tabyana beach break. Not a bug in site ziplining or at the beach. What a beautiful, gorgeous island this is!! Not commercial at all, won't be like this for long. Had the bug spray as well. Didn't need it here or in Belize for cave tubing!! Enjoy!! Tabyana was lovely--but had to be booked through the cruise line-Carnival. Turned out well, because the day before we took our own taxis and rented chairs and umbrellas in Grand Cayman and it cost just about the same for the private beach in Roatan which had showers, changing rooms, free water, iced tea and lemonade all day, chaise lounges and umbrellas!! There was food and drinks for sale as well, and a gift shop--but no one was pushy at all. This was our favorite day!!

• 1 month later...

Let me say first that it has been a very long time since I was in Roatan and I was staying at the Fantasy Island resort, but one of the things I remember most is that I got eaten by sandflies (50+ bites per leg??) before I knew what hit me. It was my first experience with these "no seeums" and I did not see them or really feel them till later on. I am unfortunately the kind of person who mosquitoes like and will get welts from them. I honestly, did not sleep well for three nights because the bites were so itchy. However, I think it really depends on what time of year you're there and if the wind is blowing, the sandflies stay away. Now, I can recognize how they feel and as soon as I feel anything remotely like a bite, I get off the sand or get into deep water. I imagine a repellent with deet would keep them off, but I will probably stick to sightseeing or snorkeling. I hope you don't experience sandflies, or don't react to them the way I did. Roatan is a beautiful place.

I love these threads! So, people had different experiences, so now you only want "the truth?"

What, were some of the previous posters lying and some weren't? How do you know who's telling you "the truth" in this thread?

:p

I always take the insect repellent when I go ashore and use it, just in case. Bugs just love me, so I just apply it and get on with my excursion.

• 2 weeks later...

saw three ants while in Roatan, but took the bug spray anyway, malaria, you know! Why take a chance? Jimmy (check out the Homeland security and the CDC sites for info on travelling anywhere in Honduras, even Roatan)

Don't take any chances..

We have sand fleas, and after a rainfall, we have a lot of mosquitoes...

Since I live here, I can tell you that I spray Deep Woods Off w/Deet in the morning, and again at dusk.

For cruisers, your only concern would be to apply before hitting the beach, and after leaving the water. Sand Fleas are ankle-biters, or if you are laying down in the sand, they'll bite you all over.

Do all people get bit? Nope.

I did when I 1st moved here; now I get bit a whole lot less..

Some people I know are covered in bites, even after living here for 2 years.

I say bring some Deet, and avoid the "possibility" of getting bit...

and if its a mosquito, the chance of getting malaria. :(

We were there two years ago and saw a child eaten alive by bugs. In fact I told DH to keep DD away from "those kids" because I honestly thought they had the chicken pox!! :) OOPS! DD and DH did not have one bite on them that day. I had about 10. I used a different brand of sunscreen so I thought that might be it. (I used a good smelling sunscreen)

Our last trip in Oct. we went to Fosters West Bay and did not have ONE bug bite.

• 5 years later...

Been three times….two of those times were for one week stays on West Bay beach.

Sand fleas/flies (whatever) like the moist sand and are found an inch or two below the surface. When you walk on the beach and stir it up - they bite.

Now, each morning they rake the beach (near Infinity Bay) with these huge heavy rakes and the bugs DO NOT LIKE IT. We did not get one bite on any of our stays …….. coincidence or not ?? We did not use the bug spray once.

• 2 weeks later...

If you use a spray lightly before you leave the ship you will be fine. Concentrate on your legs up to your knees.

While doinig land trips there we saw people with bites on their ankles. But with a light spray we were good every day. Not sure if we would have been bothered if we didn't spray. Much depends on time of day, wind and humidity conditions. (And if the beach you visit has raked in the morning.) Just like mosquitos, they prefer certain conditions.

While having cocktails outdoors at dusk with our feet in the sand, we were glad we sprayed. But you'll probably be gone by then.

We were just there on Mar 19, 4th trip to Roatan, never used spray, never bitten before, found out this time it does happen, will be back in November WITH bug spray, wife was worse than me, itching like crazy, maybe they like women better ? Photo of Turquoise Bay where it happened. Not their fault, beautiful place.

SANY2727.jpg

free upload pictures

SANY2728.jpg

image hosting 30 mb

My feeling is it is more a personal chemistry thing than it is time of year or weather.

I have been on West Bay beach for up to 8 weeks during Feb and March. I have seen people with narry a bite others who look like they have chicken pox and others who have nasty pus filled pockets on their bodies. My guess it this is all from sand flies.

I have seen sand flies on my second story porch.

With the prevalence of malaria and dengue fever why risk it... take and use a repellent that would for you.

On a side note ~ my first visit I thought there were bug in my bed.. I didn't realize I had been bitten until late in the evening, I went home looking like I had chicken pox and itched for a good couple weeks. The second year they hardly bothered me at all.. I think I built up some sort of immunity. Still, I apply weep woods off every time I walk out the door.

There really are some places that are worse than others for the sand fleas.

Our first several times with a bit of time at a beach before going out to the reef to snorkel they were a problem. People who had not used Deet were badly bitten.

At Mahogany Bay there seemed to not be a problem.

LuLu

~~~

I was there on March 12. My first time going to the beach in Honduras. Party of 5. All of us were eaten alive by sand fleas. I don't know what I was thinking. I had bug spray and forgot to put it on. Won't make that mistake again.

We did Pirates of the Caribbean Zip Line and Parrot Tree Beach Resort. Parrot Tree is insanely gorgeous!!!! I'd go there again in a heartbeat! The waiter was a little slow to come and take our order, but other than that, it was a wonderful day! Not very crowded either. There were less than 20 people there the entire time we were there. Made it feel like we were on some private resort. :D

At Mahogany Bay there seemed to not be a problem.

LuLu

~~~

Because Mahogany Bay isn't a beach.

It is a muddy shore that Carnival gouged out a waterway through and dumped some sand over the mud they dug out.

• 3 weeks later...

Just so you know, these "bugs" can be on ANY island (port stop) at ANY time. Some people experience them while others don't.

We have been to the Caribbean plenty of times and only once have we ever experienced them and it was in Costa Maya in September. Others have experienced them in various ports, various beaches, but that DOESN'T mean that you will experience them. It's not like they hang out in one place and if someone was bitten at that place, you will too.

I truly believe it has to do with the season/weather. I know the only time we have ever been bitten was when there was a bunch of rain the day before we arrived.

So honestly asking if you will be bitten at one place just because someone else has mentioned it will never result in what you might experience no matter where you are at.

Just take some bug spray with you (like deep woods) and if you are bitten, then apply. If not, then enjoy the day. I have been taking our bug spray on the last 5 cruises and never needed it...but if I did, I would have it ready. :)

• 3 years later...

Respectfully, I would like to resuscitate this thread if nobody minds...... ;)

So it's been a few years since the last post on here and I would really like to get some more current feedback from folks who have been to Roatan. We have booked a 7-day cruise on the Freedom out of Galveston on Feb 24th, 2018 - and one of the ports is Roatan. In doing my usual (WAY OCD) research about all of the ports we are going to visit (Cozumel, Belize and Roatan - only one we've been to before is Cozumel), I became somewhat alarmed at some of the stories of bugs in the Roatan area. I found this strange, because prior to our first cruise in 2012, the issue didn't really crop up at all and we never even worried about it.

Anyways - it seems in doing thorough research and reading plenty of forums on the topic that there is a common misconception between sand flies and sand FLEAS.

Sand FLIES seem to be pretty much your common-or-garden-biting-fly-that-isn't-a-mosquito. They don't worry me too much. We live in Arkansas and routinely have to dodge mosquitoes, gnats (which do bite), fire ants, chiggers, moths, stink bugs, grasshoppers, crickets, cicadas and katydids while going about our routine business. I will apply Off Deep Woods and not worry too much.

However - I need to know if sand FLEAS exist or are a problem on Roatan. I'm talking sand fleas, also knows as jiggers (not chiggers!), the chigoe flea, chigoe, nigua and - by its latin name - Tunga penetrans. This parasite (stop reading here if you have a sensitive stomach) is apparently found everywhere from Mexico south, but particularly in lesser-developed nations. It lives a few centimetres below the surface of the sand on beaches, and is the smallest flea in the world (basically invisible). These parasites attack humans and cause a terrible parasitic disease called tungiasis. The female flea enters the human host through the skin (usually of the foot), and embeds herself there. She proceeds over the course of a week to 10 days to grow, engorge, and reproduce inside the human host, resulting in a very painful and totally vomit-inducing condition whereby her massive body has to be surgically removed.....hopefully before her eggs start spilling out onto the skin's surface.

Yeah. I know. I'll stop there. Anyways..........common sense dictates to me that if insects of this genre were common around Roatan, that everybody who ever cruised there would be coming back with nightmare stories and it would NEVER have become a popular beach port. But........if there is anybody out there who knows differently - please share! Because if these things exist and attach themselves to humans on Roatan....I may not get off the ship.

Cheers.