Too old?

Pennysue

Pennysue, I envy you your size 8 figure. I am 47 and tend to wear tankinis as they are easier for using the loo etc, but I am a size 16 on top and 14 on bottom, so I feel my bikini days are over.

You have retained your figure, lucky you, so go for it, enjoy the sunshine and have a lovely holiday. Some 60 year olds look better then 30 year olds.

Go for it, I get really annoyed with people who say that people of a certain shape or age shouldn't wear this and shouldn't wear that - its what you feel comfortable in thats important not what they think, I always say "if the most important thing you can do on your holiday is watch me in my bikini you must be having a really boring time and have money to waste"

I think though that Brits and Europeans in general have a more relaxed attitudes to their bodies that people from North America, we are what we are.

I am a size 18 and I will be wearing my bikini as I am not ashamed of my size, after ill health I am alive which is the most important thing to me.

So go for it and enjoy the sun.

Anyone want to watch me I'll be on the Oosterdam - 19/4 from San Diego.

Hope you have a really lovely holiday.

I am 53, a size 6 and on our last cruise I found a bikini that was flattering and wore it. I do understand your question though because the age thing ran through my mind too. I work hard on keeping my physical shape, and this is one of the rewards. In the end take a honest look in the mirror, if the bikini flatters your figure and your skin is still firm then you can dismiss the age factor.

I will however offer a suggestion. I would bring a second bathing suit. There would be nothing worse than getting on the cruise, putting the suit on and feeling uncomfortable and have no alternatives. On the ship I liked wearing the bikini, but when on excursions, especially if I was going to swim in an ocean I like a suit that is more secure!

You girls are terrific. On one hand some men and women really shouldn't show to much skin, on the other we do need our vitamin D, and absorbed through the skin on a caribbean cruise would be a great way to get it. You sound like you've taken good care of yourself, so have a great time and show off your effort. I do like what one woman suggested, bringing a one piece just to have incase you have second thoughts.

Ladies I need your honest opinion. I am 60, 160cm and size 8. I am quite trim, big boobs and a bit heavy on the thigh! Am I too old to wear bikinis on our caribbean cruise next week? What do you think?

Nothing wrong if you look good!-Look up that thread "bikinis and the Middleaged woman"! only a couple of 20 somethings or early 30's in age said it was a no-no for a gal over 40. ( I wonder if they will be saying that in another 10-15 years!)

I do believe I would rather see you in yours then I did the twenty something gal in the string bikini who was a size 16 or possibly larger on my cruise a few years back.

Slim wrinkles look much better the wrinkleless fat in my book. LOL!

I would have worn one myselfa not that long ago when I was slim-the only thing that stopped me was my C section scar-certainly not my age. Now I am stopped by the scar AND the fat as I have gained weight again! LOL!

Pennysue, I envy you your size 8 figure. I am 47 and tend to wear tankinis as they are easier for using the loo etc, but I am a size 16 on top and 14 on bottom, so I feel my bikini days are over.

You have retained your figure, lucky you, so go for it, enjoy the sunshine and have a lovely holiday. Some 60 year olds look better then 30 year olds.

I agree and we are about the same size. Though even when

I was an 8 I was just not a bikini girl. 2 Piece back then but

I always preferred a regular short/skirt as opposed to a bikini

bottom.

Now I still enjoy a 2 piece but its always a tankini/skirtini

style. Found 4 new ones recently:D 2 one piece suits and

2 tankinis!

To the OP, go for it:) .....I don't know what 160cm relative

to pounds in the states? But I size 8 is petite (usually).

Enjoy your new swimwear!

As long as you don't have "stuff" tumbling over the material of the swimsuit, go ahead and wear it! (It's not a good look if the "spare tire" around most hips is covering the waistband of the bikini!!!)

I'm 53 and have little body fat--I wear my bikini all the time!

I'm no lady but I'll respond any way. THIS-IS-NOT-ABOUT-AGE!!! Where is it written that a 60,50,40 something is relegated to only a one-piece with an attached skirt - or something of the sort?! If a woman still has the body for it, the question should be a matter of confidence and comfortability. Certainly not age.

Pennysue, at roughly 5' tall, size 8, with a full bustline and hips, I'm picturing a voluptuous hour glass - which is what most men find especilly attractive. Wear your bikini honey, and wear it proud! And if you get any flack, just show the hand and say "don't hate".:p

Repsol

I agree and we are about the same size. Though even when

I was an 8 I was just not a bikini girl. 2 Piece back then but

I always preferred a regular short/skirt as opposed to a bikini

bottom.

Now I still enjoy a 2 piece but its always a tankini/skirtini

style. Found 4 new ones recently:D 2 one piece suits and

2 tankinis!

To the OP, go for it:) .....I don't know what 160cm relative

to pounds in the states? But I size 8 is petite (usually).

Enjoy your new swimwear!

In the UK a size 8 roughly translates to between a size 4 and 6 in the U.S. So op go for it, you've earned the right to that bikini

I just got back from an ii-night cruise to the Panama Canal on which most of the women were well over fifty. You should have seen theri bathing suit choices. The fact is, there are so many people out by the pool that they all become a big blur. No one is paying any particular attention to individuals. Some had a lot of courgae, but who cares?

If you do feel self-conscious have a wrap or pareo or cover-up close by. Wear the bathing suit you want. The men sure as heck wear what they want.

Go for it, I get really annoyed with people who say that people of a certain shape or age shouldn't wear this and shouldn't wear that - its what you feel comfortable in thats important not what they think, I always say "if the most important thing you can do on your holiday is watch me in my bikini you must be having a really boring time and have money to waste"

I think though that Brits and Europeans in general have a more relaxed attitudes to their bodies that people from North America, we are what we are.

I am a size 18 and I will be wearing my bikini as I am not ashamed of my size, after ill health I am alive which is the most important thing to me.

So go for it and enjoy the sun.

Anyone want to watch me I'll be on the Oosterdam - 19/4 from San Diego.

Hope you have a really lovely holiday.

Here Here!!! You are beautiful! What a beautiful attitude.. I love it! You just made my day! I don't wear a swim suit and don't do the pools/hot tubs but I think your whole thinking process is beautiful!

I say go for it. On our cruise the week before last we saw more jello thighs and bellies and cottage cheese butts and overfilled bulging bikini tops and bottoms than I ever want to see again in my life. I wore cute modest skirted suits and felt like I was totally overdressed compared to the tiny triangles of cloth most people wore!! Men included!!! Next time I'm going for the bikini! If they can get away with it, so can I! LOL!!!

Enjoy!

You're a size 8????? You will literally see women twice your size wearing bikinis. I dont know if you're cruising on Carnival but you will see women of all sizes wearing a bikini on the Lido deck. Im a size 14 and I dont wear bikinis. (To many dimples) I say go for it!!!!!!

You guys made me feel SO much better! I'm an athletic age 50, 5'4", size 6, and bought a pretty, flattering brown print bikini (not a teeny tiny one... a cropped tank and high waist bottom) and was just about to return it when I read this thread. I'm gonna dang the torpedoes and wear the thing! :)

As for you, Ms. Lovely Size 8, go for it!!!! Pretty women come in all ages, sizes and shapes!

Good for you Houndmum. The replies on here made me feel so much better, I am now packing three bikinis and two one pieces! I have matching wraps or kaftans with the bikinis, and I am going to flaunt it!! Thank you ladies for restoring my confidence.

I myself am 5'9" and weigh in at about 195-200lbs. While i dont have that hourglass shape i still wear a tankini. I am cery confident in who i am to not worry about what other people say. I have fluff around the middle so i get a high waist bottom. I go with that attitude since the day i saw a 400-500lbs woman on a beach in the Caymans wearing a thong bikini. My initial thought was ewwww then it was if she can do it so can i and that is what i do. I figure that i will never see the people i cruise with again so i dont care what others think. I look at who the person is not what they are wearing.

Michele

Archived