Why is CruiseCritic.com SLOWING DOWN?

Muster Station

The problem is that the database is overloaded, probably from too many people doing searches. Usually after the glut of searches has stopped the site is fast again. Its the same with all message board sites. If they had a technician who knew what they were doing, you would never see problems like this. Unfortunately there aren't many skilled site administrators out there.

I would recommend that they limit searches to 1 search per 5 minutes per user, and maybe turn off searching altogether during peak times.

I have never understood while another message board I frequent many times during the day (non-cruise related), much much bigger than CC and so busy you can barely keep up with the threads as they change in seconds, never has any trouble at all. I have no idea how these boards work, but it is possible to run a busy message board with no problems like we find here.

Same for me. It wasn't good the last few days, but today was the worst ever.

It's been so hard to get on here without getting a blank screen or double posts that I gave up and did a major cleaning of my house. Got into areas I haven't bothered with for weeks.

Tomorrow I might even consider cooking:) .

I haven't seen it like this on here for a very long time.

It's not your problem. The last few days CC seems to have reverted to some of its old ways: can't get in at times, and other times it's extremely show loading and hangs up after a post.

It got so bad some months ago that many bailed out for a while and went to another cruise bulletin board to hang out until CC got things upgraded. This current slowdown isn't nearly as bad as it was then ... but it's still frustrating.

I too have been having tons of problems with CruiseCritic ... even at work on a T3 line. So it's not a user problem. It's definitely on the CC end.

Personally I think this board keeps growing at too great a rate for the board owners to keep up. The only solution is more routers, more servers, more storage space. That stuff costs money.

I don't know what the solution is, other than charging a membership fee in order to post to the boards, with that money used to keep the servers and other equipment updated and functional. But taking such a move would

unfortunately send a lot of people ... including probably me ... away, and then they wouldn't need to upgrade equipment. What they currently have would probably be fine.

Like I said, I don't know what the solution is. But what I do know is that the problems will probably continue, if not get worse, in the coming months. That's just one of the side-effects of rapid growth.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Same for me. It wasn't good the last few days, but today was the worst ever.

I think yesterday was the absolute worst. I began getting a message whenever I would try to access the boards ... saying something about my needing some special software and should Microsoft go onto the net to try and locate it? Software? To access a message board? I just logged off and went on another cruise message board where my luck was running a bit better.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am posting now, making sure that I can. Yesterday I wrote a long post on roll calls and it never posted, did that twice. I thought it was my computer.This morning I was so frustrated as well.

Sue

I've gotten into the habit of copying my longer posts before I hit "submit." This way if I get the WSOD, and lose it, I can easily repost it. I've been burned in this area once too often. Now I try to make sure it doesn't happen.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It's been so hard to get on here without getting a blank screen or double posts that I gave up and did a major cleaning of my house. Got into areas I haven't bothered with for weeks.

Tomorrow I might even consider cooking:) .

LOL!

Same here. I tried twice this morning to post on our roll call, nothing worked. Very frustrating!

Seems better this afternoon, at least for now anyway....

It is almost surely a matter of long threads. disboards.com is similar in size and scope, and was suffering from the same types of problems, for years. They recently put a limit on thread size, and these problems have practically gone away completely. avsforum.com is also similar in size and scope, and has always had a long thread limitation, and doesn't suffer from these types of problems.

It's all about long threads...

Yep it is really slow here too. Sometimes are better than others, i think i am chalking it up to their traffic on their site and when there are tons of people on it lags a bit.

I've walked away and tried to occupy my mind with other things and come back when it starts dragging.

it is exhausting sometimes, but i guess i am used to instant gratification with my DSL and for the most part, I get it!

I have been thinking about this.

I know we have tons and tons of members which results in tons and tons of posts.

Wonder if the administrators could remove Roll Calls once that cruise has taKen place? (Maybe like 2 weeks after the cruise ends in case anyone wants to make any final comments.) Would that help to free up space and time?

It isn't a matter of space. The query complexity comes specifically from threads that have lots of messages. While Roll Calls do go on for a while, few if any exceed the threshold where the complexity causes a problem, around 5000-10000 messages within a thread.

Here is a link to a bunch of threads that are probably the real cause of the problem:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=209&page=1&pp=50&sort=replycount&order=desc&daysprune=-1

The same with group cruises that are over.

Something else that's strange. What happpened to the advertisers? The space at the top of the page used to have advertisements. I just have a thin, white space now.

It makes no nevermind to me, but I think if I were paying $$$ to CC, I'd like to see my ad.

The same with group cruises that are over.

Something else that's strange. What happpened to the advertisers? The space at the top of the page used to have advertisements. I just have a thin, white space now.

It makes no nevermind to me, but I think if I were paying $$$ to CC, I'd like to see my ad.

It isn't a matter of space. The query complexity comes specifically from threads that have lots of messages. While Roll Calls do go on for a while, few if any exceed the threshold where the complexity causes a problem, around 5000-10000 messages within a thread.

Here is a link to a bunch of threads that are probably the real cause of the problem:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=209&page=1&pp=50&sort=replycount&order=desc&daysprune=-1

You are right -- I forgot about the Floataway Lounge -- thousands and thousands of posts on one thread.

Archived