VERY DISAPPOINTED with Feb 8 sailing aboard Pearl - will not sail NCL again!

MakinMemries

for the very detailed review. I was relieved to note that most of the things that disappointed the OP are not of concern to me, but none the less, I have found that being prepared for some of the "disappointments" helps me handle it better. At this point, in preparing for my Pearl cruise next month, I kind of am expecting the food to be less than fab. If that's the case, I've budgeted for more of the "paid" specialty restaurants, and we plan to enjoy as much local food as possible in port. If by chance, the "free" food is good, I will be so surprised and excited!

It's worth noting that in the 10-something years since I've started cruising, the food seems to be getting steadily worse. But then I ask myself, is that because I started cruising when I was younger and easily delighted by a steady diet of burgers, fries and pizza, so it all seemed great? Where as now I am used to a wider array of more fancy foods? It's hard to say. But like someone said earlier, nothing compares to the first cruise!!

Anyway, thanks again for posting!!

I agree with you fully, there is nothing like your first cruise. Ours was on the SS Norway in '95 and we thought the food and shows were perfect. Of course cruising is way different now that back then. I also believe that they place the best chiefs and crew members on the flagships.

I very much appreciate reading other people's opinions, both good and bad, and that is why I wished to post what I thought was an all-round accurate opinion of what we experienced.

Concerning the ports of call.... everyone, including the cruise director Simon, implied and outright told us to avoid Samana. We chose the water boat to the caves instead and had a great time (I get seasick easily, but the speed and size of these large boats posed no problem);

Tortola - we did not use a ship tour and went instead via Speedy's to Virgin Gorda and did the Baths. This was a great day! Not to be missed!

It's $25. pp for the ferry + another $5. for the round trip taxi to the beach. It's too far to walk so I'd suggest you take the taxi - it's like a mini bus without windows accommodating about 20+ people. The taxi's run every couple of hours so you won't have a problem picking a good time to get back to the ship.

Anitqua - ATV through the old sugar plantations. I expected there to be big high canes through which to drive, but there weren't. The fields are grass filled with some goats along the way. Wickedly prickly trees/bushes you need to avoid. Was it what I expected no... but we had a marvellous time anyway... the family-owned business is run well...good machines... lovely people.

Barbados - Did the Atlantis submarine thing. 40 min. below the sea ranging from 30 to 140 feet deep seemed like only 10 min. It was very good, quite an experience, but nothing that I think I'd repeat again.

St. Lucia - Son and hubby did the zip line thing. The gondola ride through the tops of the trees they said was very boring. The zip lining is not as scary as I imagined it to be and they thought I would have been fine doing it. Listen to the instructions regarding how to slow down on the line, as hubby forgot and grabbed the line yanking his arm quite hard. There was a little challenging hike back up a hill.

I roamed around the pier at St. Lucia on my own... did not feel particularly threatened by anyone, but did notice that a lot of locals crowded around me a little to close for comfort. There is a cute market just a few steps from the pier selling the local touristy stuff - worth a look.

I must say that St. Lucia made me a little nervous after reading about recent muggings and shootings on the beach. Maybe I was overly nervous, but was glad when all came back safe and sound on St. Lucia.

To answer some questions - we generally pick our cruises according to the ports of call and length of cruise and not the ship. Carnival does not have that many cruises longer than a week and we liked the ports of call on this NCL cruise since we'd never been to Antigua, Samana, or Tortola. We, also, use the ship merely as a means of getting there.

When I get back in the afternoon, I do want to enjoy the rest of the evening, dinner and the shows.

Regarding complaining about the vacuming... I don't like to get workers into trouble and don't usually make a fuss unless something is really severe. We thought the noise was perhaps just a coincidence and not their regularly scheduled routine. Did it wake ALL of us out of a deep sleep, no. Did it ruin my vacation, no. Did I mention it to the front desk on the last day, yes.

Detailed oriented, yes I am, I'm a highschool teacher - business, marketing, human resources, you get the picture. Sloppy little things catch my attention that other's don't notice... many typos in the Freestyle Daily, and have a look... cabin 10097 is nowhere on the NCL Pearl map card. Ooops!

Please also understand that I'm not putting down the older 70+ crowd in any way. This was the first trip my 83 year old mother did not accompany us on. I'm used to pushing a wheelchair everywhere I go. NCL's entertainment was significantly better than last year's Princess cruise where all the entertainment was Lawrence Welk music! and very obviously geard to the older crowd.

I probably sound like I'm nit picking.... and all the things I'm mentioning were not traumatic and did not ruin my vacation in any way. In fact, overall we had an enjoyable time. The point I'm making, though, is that is simply didn't match up with what we had experienced before on the other cruises and we were disappointed. For us, we won't be using NCL again. One GREAT thing - no danger of weight gain on NCL!

Ok, I know that this is completely unrelated but you mentioned it in your review and it has always bugged me. Why are the fish on the floor swimming towards the front of the ship. If the ship is moving through the water shouldn't the fish be facing the back?

Keith

Too funny! Never thought about it, but I think they are very fast fish and so makes perfect sense. :p

MakinMemries - reading other people's opinions of their own actual experiences is one thing, however reading their opinions of what people they've never met might or might not like is absolutely worthless. I was reading your review with interest till I got to your final paragraph when you stated "If you have never cruised before, you will enjoy your NCL experience. If you have had other cruises to compare this one to, you will probably be disappointed. Our opinion is that NCL is marketing their cruises appealing to vacationers with their lower price point. I would imagine that rather than raising their prices to offer fancier food selections, nicer parties, all the extras we’ve come to expect, they have decided to do away with a number of offerings presenting instead their specialty restaurants so that those who want higher end choices, can pay for them. This is a “basic” cruise for a “basic lower end” price."

Sorry if this seems rude, but you have absolutely zero idea what I or my family or friends would like. We are very experienced cruisers who in the past few years have been have been on Cunard, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Costa, Princess and Regent (Radisson Seven Seas). As you will see from my signature we love NCL and the great cruises we think they offer. As I will be paying them $50,000+ for cruises in 12 months since November 2007 I didn't think that I was selecting them based on their "lower price point". From my own observations it would appear that you can travel on an NCL ship paying anywhere from $1000 - $25000 for a week, hardly a low price point. Of course a lower price might have been the reason you picked your cruise? Our opinion is that they offer a wonderful product that we like and that we will continue to enjoy. I really don't know what you have come to expect and to be honest I don't really care. But for gosh sake please don't project those criteria onto me and I promise to show you the same courtesy.

Its nice that the cruise lines try to make traversing around a little easier for those that are "direction impared" On RCCL, they even have the day of the week on the elevator floors. I think they have elves change it every night at the stroke of midnight. I've never seen them being changed, it's amazing!

(It doesn't take alot to keep me amused :))

LOL. Elves you say, I always wondered myself as I never saw them change the days either. I am very fond of the days on the elevators because after 7 days you tend to forget where you are and what day it is.

MM, thanks for your review and honest(appreciated) opinion. A lot of seasoned cruisers who have cruised different lines have somewhat of cruiseline preference that suit their taste.

I thought on our last cruise on Princess that we didn't like them until we realized that the cruise was just different than the others we've been on. So we did have a good cruise just not same kind of good as prior ones. All the cruiselines we've been on offer something different for our particular taste. Every line we have been on we have our likes and dislikes about them.

Again, thanks for taking the time to post your opinions!

Love to cruise!

Happy cruising to all!

Regarding complaining about the vacuming... I don't like to get workers into trouble and don't usually make a fuss unless something is really severe. We thought the noise was perhaps just a coincidence and not their regularly scheduled routine. Did it wake ALL of us out of a deep sleep, no. Did it ruin my vacation, no. Did I mention it to the front desk on the last day, yes.

....!

I am sorry and hope you don't take this as an attack but you don't think the employee was vaccuming at 3 am because they wanted to. they were instructed to...You know Joe you are on the night vaccuming crew the next week. I am sure its the regular schedule by waiting until the day you were leaving you gave no chance for them to change it. So either you live with it but to then wait until the last day and then get him " in trouble" is not nice and beyond nitpicking IMO....

When is NCL going to step up to the plate and stop trying to save money on dessert? Most of it is squares of sweetened, air-filled Crisco or dry cake with tasteless frosting and sour cherries.

Nita- I might not be an expert in cruising or a TA like you are but I CAN speak for the way my own NCL cruises changed from year to year. I'm not saying it's a total downward trajectory, but it is a change and there is nothing wrong with speaking up about that. NCL print ads and commercials make it clear that they are catering to a family or young adult set (40's), not 70 year olds. HAL brochures always come with some grey haired people in tuxes on them, so you figure: seniors. So if I wwas on a NCL cruise with a bunch of 70 year olds I would definitely mention it in my review- not as a complaint, but as part of the over all mise en scene of the experience.

Thanks for your review, OP. It was very well written and balanced, IMHO.

yes they do change from year to year, that is why I always take at least one NCL cruise a year and one on another line. As for the desserts, I agree with you on that but not being a big dessert eater it doesn't bother me. I did have one really awesome dessert on our last NCL cruise: it was a coconut souflet (or ever how you spell it) I think the OP did a good job on his review, my issue is with anyone who says NCL has changed in the past few months when they have only cruised NCL once.

As for the age thing, well you do have a point except most of us know Feb cruising will draw a totally different age group than other months and the agerage age being over 70 I beleive is a going a little overboard. I haven't been on any cruise where the average age is quite that old. Remember what "average" means.

Nita

Ok, I know that this is completely unrelated but you mentioned it in your review and it has always bugged me. Why are the fish on the floor swimming towards the front of the ship. If the ship is moving through the water shouldn't the fish be facing the back?

Keith

It is simply a way to let you know what direction you are going. They tell you "fish swim forward" I really don't know which way the actually swim. LOL

Ah, but if one of the elves misses one, and that's the elevator you keep taking, it really messes you up for the next couple of days!

On RCCL, they even have the day of the week on the elevator floors. I think they have elves change it every night at the stroke of midnight. I've never seen them being changed, it's amazing!

(It doesn't take alot to keep me amused :))

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Although my experience on the Pearl was wonderful, generally I did not care for the menus they presented. We only ate in the dining room 3 nights out of 8. We also ate at the buffet 3 nights, I found the buffet food good to very good.

The demographics on our ships was mixed, I don;t know how one can anticipate what age group will been on a ship at any given time.

I also agree with the OP assesments of the housekeeping. Our TV and shelves were very dusty. Perhaps we should have mentioned to our steward David, that he should dust them, but we did not.

Its funny but I do not recall a midnight buffet on any NCL ship that I have sailed, but the Chocolate buffets have been around for years.

One more thing that is bothering me about your review, why would people in tuxedos and gowns be sitting with others who were not dressed appropriately, you are not forced to sit with others at dinner, so I am unsure how this would ruin anyones night.

I do agree with some of the things in your review, but I felt that the Pearl was truly an amazing ship and I would like to sail her again. It was one of my best cruises.

Lastly, Samana has been mentioned alot on these boards, it is a dump plain and simple, if you are getting off the ship, you should do a ship excursion, so far all the reviews of the excursions have been positive.

If someone has a cruise booked on the Pearl, I think you should form your own opinions, and come back and give a review. But I do take alot of the reviews with a grain of salt.:D

you aren't kidding about the toilet placement. there was much I liked about the Pearl and some things I didn't like, but i felt like I had to be a contortionist to use the bathroom. Where are you supposed to put your legs??

I don't understand the emphasis on the age of passengers. So what. I am mid 50's, spouse 60. We are sailing on the Pearl 3/7 and looking forward (positively) to the experience. My daughter (29) son (25) and his g/f (24) are also going. We have had a great time with them in the past, snorkling, beachcombing etc. I don't go on a cruise for the other passengers. Have been on 17 cruises, this is #4 on NCL. Will everything be perfect. Probably.

It's alot better than being home, cooking dinner myself every night, and going to bed early because there are no new shows on TV. I'm ecstatic and can hardly wait.

MaknMemories - I was on the same voyage as you, but I had a very different perspective! This was the first NCL trip for my family - we have travelled exclusively with HAL and Celebrity up to this point. After completing this last trip, would we travel with NCL again? Yes, in a heartbeat!

We, too, have an elderly (84) year old in a wheelchair, and she accompanied us on this trip. She was treated royally everywhere we went, by staff and passengers alike. She especially enjoyed talking to the younger passengers - a considerable number on this ship. Our stewards introduced themselves the first day, and were always available, to assist, and to help with specific requests. We were impressed with the cleanliness of the ship. We particularly appreciated the hand washing stations.

We don't partake of late night buffets, and we are quite adaptable when it comes to dining times. We found the food in Mambos, La Cucina and the Summer Palace to be most acceptable. I agree that the desserts left much to be desired. I also agree that the menus were rather tacky - I believe that NCL could improve their presentation.

We also enjoyed the trio playing in the Java Cafe. But we never did buy a coffee there. We really enjoyed the coffee machine towards the back of the buffet. There you could have as many free lattes, etc., as you pleased! We also found it quite easy to ask for cappucinos in every restaurant.

Coming from subdued , classic ships such as those of the other lines we've experienced, I wasn't sure how we would like the Pearl. We really enjoyed the decor, especially the outdoor adornments. It was a very different set up, but it worked for us.

By the way - it wasn't very cheap! We really selected it because the itinerary appealed to us, and we were advised by our travel agent that the ship would be "handicapped friendly", (which it was).

I would encourage everyone who is booked on the Pearl to go with an open mind. It is certainly a ship we would consider again. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

MakinMemries - reading other people's opinions of their own actual experiences is one thing, however reading their opinions of what people they've never met might or might not like is absolutely worthless. I was reading your review with interest till I got to your final paragraph when you stated "If you have never cruised before, you will enjoy your NCL experience. If you have had other cruises to compare this one to, you will probably be disappointed. Our opinion is that NCL is marketing their cruises appealing to vacationers with their lower price point. I would imagine that rather than raising their prices to offer fancier food selections, nicer parties, all the extras we’ve come to expect, they have decided to do away with a number of offerings presenting instead their specialty restaurants so that those who want higher end choices, can pay for them. This is a “basic” cruise for a “basic lower end” price."

Sorry if this seems rude, but you have absolutely zero idea what I or my family or friends would like. We are very experienced cruisers who in the past few years have been have been on Cunard, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Costa, Princess and Regent (Radisson Seven Seas). As you will see from my signature we love NCL and the great cruises we think they offer. As I will be paying them $50,000+ for cruises in 12 months since November 2007 I didn't think that I was selecting them based on their "lower price point". From my own observations it would appear that you can travel on an NCL ship paying anywhere from $1000 - $25000 for a week, hardly a low price point. Of course a lower price might have been the reason you picked your cruise? Our opinion is that they offer a wonderful product that we like and that we will continue to enjoy. I really don't know what you have come to expect and to be honest I don't really care. But for gosh sake please don't project those criteria onto me and I promise to show you the same courtesy.

Bravo!! (Or should I say brava?)

I really think people have a nerve posting a litany of nits and then telling everyone else in the world not to cruise a certain cruise line. And the crack about "appealing to vacationers with their lower price point" is the cheapest of cheap shots. First off, Celebrity's trans-Atlantic cruises next fall cost less than NCL's, so this low price business is baloney. An uninformed opinion better left unsaid--but then, when you're looking for nits, why not throw in everything you can possibly think of.

Secondly, NCL offers free espresso and cappucino in dining rooms and buffet, something few if any others do--so the comment about "for a charge" at the Java Cafe is just another cheap shot. Thirdly, I don't cruise to meet the housekeeping staff. Why anyone would call this out as a negative beats me. We were in a six-star hotel in Puerto Vallarta last December and I not only never met the housekeeper, I don't think I ever saw her (or him?). But did I whine about that on Trip Advisor? You've got to be kidding.

And the sweeping generalization about age is simply uncalled-for. All cruise lines draw a mixed, but frequently older crowd. Because the cruise you happened to be on was PERCEIVED by you as having a crowd "of a certain age" is no cause to generalize--or, frankly, to complain.

Greywillow,

interesting comments. I am not defending NCL particularly but agree with you. I just booked a family (6 cabins) mommy is a laywer, daddy a successful sailes manager, granddaddy a retired professor and chemist who works for Los Alamos labs and grandma is a minister. They certainly didn't book NCL because that is all they could afford. They booked because with 10 of them they think freestyle is best. They have cruised more than once, but always go back to NCL. We all generalize; sometimes we do not realize how patronizing our comments can be. Of course for those who think part of cruising is being pampered NCL isn't the line, for those who want a totally refined experience stick with HAL, but don't think NCL is only for those who can't afford anything else. Both Celebrity cruises we took were because the prices were lower than on NCL>

Nita

I'm going to ignore the last post and go on.

Greywillow, you said "Secondly, NCL offers free espresso and cappucino in dining rooms and buffet, something few if any others do--so the comment about "for a charge" at the Java Cafe is just another cheap shot. Thirdly, I don't cruise to meet the housekeeping staff. Why anyone would call this out as a negative beats me. We were in a six-star hotel in Puerto Vallarta last December and I not only never met the housekeeper, I don't think I ever saw her (or him?). But did I whine about that on Trip Advisor? You've got to be kidding."

re cappucinos. One of NCL's great benefits. HAL also has it at meals, yet both lines have a "for pay" coffee shop. Celebrity has free cappucinos in suites only. Just pointing out similarities and differences. It's all what you are used to. I'm serious. One time we booked a suite on a 2 nighter so we could get capuccinos and access to the Tpool along with our fare!

Some cruise lines make you pay at the ice cream bar. I loved not paying on Celebrity and Hal. How about NCL, is it free, too? Goodie

As far as a reason to cruise, some people enjoy meeting the staff because they are usually from other countries & since they themselves are cruising internationally it's nice to be able to "know" someone from another country. You can't say you know them unless you talk to them. They get to practice their English and find out how nice or unnice we Americans, or Brits or Canuks etc. are. It's just a matter of preference.

And as far as not meeting the housekeeper in a hotel, it just depends, doesn't it? I met the whole staff in a gold crown time share resort in New Orleans one day when I could not open a jar of salsa. Everyone tried. I practiced my Spanish with them, and they their English with me while we spoke Spanglish. I like to be able to call people by their names, and am enchanted when someone remembers mine. This is part of the experience on Celebrity, for instance. I'm not pushing X, I have 3 NCL cruises booked. I'm just saying let's not get upset about what someone else likes or dislikes, plain and simple.

We try to provide INFORMATION about the way things are when we give a review. Okay, they didn't see the steward. Some would say he was very efficient! and probably was, too.

And for the good news! Freestyle 2.0 promises new menu upgrades, lobster in some restaurant every single day, upgraded room service menu, too. So things are looking up (as long as they don't take away the free capuccinos).

Had some good cruises, had some poor cruises.

Preconceived expectations was part of my problem.

No two are alike I have found, I now take what comes and enjoy it much more and stress less.

On the food:

If you watch what is taken away un eaten, It has to say something for waste which there is no excuse for by anybody at any time.

And, yes, I had a prime rib that was more like a steak um than a PR.

Any business is going to watch waste.

It is what it is because of what gets tossed, its not about what you are paying, its about over sized portions that don't get eaten.

Did the Majesty in Sept and found portions a bit on the stingy side, but had no problem ordering more and did.

On Gratuity:

As far as what it is called, I find "tips" to be a bit street ish in termanology and service charge a bit of a standard term for "additional fees we don't have a name for yet"

Regardless, the fact that NCL lines have taken this liberty is because people are cheap and don't realize that this is food off someone else's plate that they are walking off the ship with. There are too many people like this with the mental block that keep the change or pocket the difference rather than express appreciation for service people who make things right for you whether you see them or not. If you look at the time frame in which these cabin personnel have to reset the rooms between disembarking and boarding, a few dust bunnies in the corners under the beds is excusable imo, think about it.

While I find gratuity for indirect service over the top for Head House keepers and Head Waiters, I find friendship and respect for these folks who cater to our needs. Another human element of free styling cruising is you never have the same waiter. This would not be my preference the next time but only for this reason. I like the relationship that develops with wait staff and miss it. The problem is that if people don't see the same staff is that they feel they owe nothing because they had different staff each night and no way to break it down by the day for each. So for this reason alone, the gratuity system makes perfect sense to me.

When I faced this the first time I asked staff how they felt about the preference over cash or managed gratuity and they actually do better with the later which says things about how cheap people really are. It does then obviously become taxed income for these people naturally instead of cash in their pockets AND THEY ARE STILL AHEAD.

I find it easier to manage gratuity and leave extra in the room also with this new system, no envelopes, no getting currency changed, no calculators.

In fact is actually cost me less because they don't charge for the head personnel.

On waiting tiimes:

I/we never had to wait more than ten minutes for a table or anything for that matter. This is a benefit of smaller ships and I will miss that as ships get sunk.

Did Celebrity Horizon with the same experience. The staff to guest ratio is better on these smaller ships and the ride/roll is better imo also. The condition on NCL seems to be better than average for the age of the ships also.

Did RCL both Grandeur and DisEnchantment of the seas and as sister ships of simular age there was no comparison, Grandeur hands down, any day.

Anyway, in all of these cases, my first comment stands, the less preconceived notions you have the better the experience.

Obviously, we all enjoy cruising or we would be taking other vacations - how's that for a grand assumption? Assumptions, expectations, personal preferences develop from our own experiences & express our ..... whoops, I'm lapsing into psycho-babble! Very boring! Let's hear the opinions - interesting to hear other's thoughts. Provides an opportunity to act or react or do nothing at all.

Personally, I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. Viva la difference!

Donna

I really don't get it.

Why are people SO quick to jump on each other?

The OP took the time to write an extensive, detailed review. Instead of some of the one liners "Everything was wonderful" or "This is far inferior to my experience on <whichever>", we were told exactly what she liked and didn't like.

For me, it was yet more information on what to expect, and there was enough detail to decide whether I'd have reached the same conclusion. And while some posters seem to feel the same way, many of the responses have been along the lines of either :

"You tell 'em! NCL Sucks! All those NCL cruisers are self-deluded moron!"

or

"How could you have wanted more Karoake/cleaner floors/different food/etc.? I don't care about those things, so you shouldn't either!"

I've only cruised once (on Disney) but am leaving on the Sun in a little more than a month (yay!). The reviews here have been incredibly valuable to me, both positive and negative. Even if most of the negatives that I've seen aren't things that would bother me (and they wouldn't), I'm organizing a group of people, and it's really helpful to hear other perspectives so I can anticipate things that might bother others in my group, and I can set expectations appropriately.

The sarcasm and belittling of the OP who put a lot of effort into writing a factual, detailed review of her cruise seems petty to me. By all means counter with facts ("There is free cappuchino in the buffet" or "the average age on NCL is X"), offer suggestions ("Call the front desk if the vacuuming is keeping you up at 3 am"), but at least appreciate the fact that time was spent to offer honest impressions, which is what I thought that this board was about.

One thing I have to throw out there. . .with all the suites that NCL has. . .and the price point. . .NCL can not be considered a "discount" cruiseline. Samething with the age demographics. . .last week I read a review which mocked the baby boomers :eek: . . . If anything, NCL should be considered having a very diverse clientele.

"If you have had other cruises to compare this one to, you will probably be disappointed. Our opinion is that NCL is marketing their cruises appealing to vacationers with their lower price point. I would imagine that rather than raising their prices to offer fancier food selections, nicer parties, all the extras we’ve come to expect, they have decided to do away with a number of offerings presenting instead their specialty restaurants so that those who want higher end choices, can pay for them. This is a “basic” cruise for a “basic lower end” price."

OP: I read your entire post 3 times then looked at your profile to try to understand your prior experiences/expectations and find only 13 prior posts..so not much luck there. Thank you for posting this review. You are certainly entitled to your opinions and it seems that what you are saying, based on your perceptions/expectations, is that the whole NCL line is not for you.

It might be helpful for you to start reading some of the other forums....Although my husband and I are NCL fans, I frequently jump over to the other lines' forums just to see what is going on. You will find many opinions...what makes some people feel that had the "perfect cruise" may not necessarily be important to others. I see posts with the major theme being "things just aren't the way they used to be....where is the (fill in the blank) we used to get 5-6 years ago.....) My general feeling on this is that things aren't what they used to be on land, either....

Talk to several good travel agents and let them know what your priorities are. If karyoke is important to you, maybe you can find a themed cruise... Some of the best advice I have heard around these boards is: Don't expect it to be perfect in every detail...a cruise is what you make it. Take it in stride. In the real world when you go to a restaurant or hotel, is it ever perfect?

Finally, I would openly disagree with your global projection that , "If you had other cruises to compare this to, you will probably be disappointed." and also, "this is a basic cruise for a lower end price." And I base my disagreement on MY experiences. We've met many fine folks on our 7 cruises with NCL and many of them have cruise other lines. Many of these people were, in fact, not disappointed.

Some people expect "more." It would be like saying OK, I'm going to Disney but I'm staying in a moderate hotel, versus I'm going to Disney and I'm staying at the most deluxe hotel with concierge. In the end, everyone is going to Disney...some are just paying a whopping whole lot more than others....are the extra ammenities worth it to you? Only you can decide that. For us, they aren't. We simply aren't willing to quadruple the cost of our cruise to get what comes at That price point....not worth it for us.

For us, NCL is appealing partly because of their price point, but I hardly think it is the lowest price point of the major mass market cruise lines....because I've looked. Finally, for what we spend for a typical 7-9 day cruise, and for the services/amenities we receive, we are perfectly satisfied. I've also put together some figures for a rather average 7-9 day land cruise...and when I add up the numbers for travel, food, lodging, entertainment, a NCL cruise wiins hands-down as offering us the best bang for our buck.

Good luck to you in your search..............

It is simply a way to let you know what direction you are going. They tell you "fish swim forward" I really don't know which way the actually swim. LOL

It's designed to be an alliteration. Follow the forward facing fish.

On the dawn, there were flowers in the forward staircase, marilyn monroes in the middle, and sunsets at the aft.

Archived