If You Don't Like Being Violated Don't Book A Cruise To Jamaica

Joedog

Back to the o/p's title "If you don't like being violated don't book a cruise to Jamaica".

Here is more info from the US Dept. of State on travel to Jamaica.

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Gang violence and shootings occur regularly in certain areas of Kingston and Montego Bay. These areas include, but are not limited to Mountain View, Trench Town, Tivoli Gardens, Cassava Piece, and Arnett Gardens in Kingston, and Flankers in Montego Bay. Some neighborhoods are occasionally subject to curfews and police searches. Impromptu demonstrations can occur, during which demonstrators often construct roadblocks or otherwise block the streets. These events usually do not affect tourist areas, but travelers to Kingston should check with local authorities or the U.S. Embassy for current information prior to their trip.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs’ web site at http://travel.state.gov, where the current Travel Warnings and Travel Alerts, as well as the Worldwide Caution, can be found.

Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the U.S. and Canada, or for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

The Department of State urges American citizens to take responsibility for their own personal security while traveling overseas. For general information about appropriate measures travelers can take to protect themselves in an overseas environment, see the Department of State’s pamphlet A Safe Trip Abroad.

CRIME: Crime, including violent crime, is a serious problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston. While the vast majority of crimes occur in impoverished areas, the violence is not confined. The primary criminal concern for tourists is becoming a victim of theft. In several cases, armed robberies of Americans have turned violent when the victims resisted handing over valuables. Crime is exacerbated by the fact that police are understaffed and ineffective. Additionally, there have been frequent allegations of police corruption. Tourists should take their own precautions and always pay extra attention to their surroundings when traveling, exercise care when walking outside after dark, and should always avoid areas known for high crime rates.

As a general rule, valuables should not be left unattended or in plain view, including in hotel rooms and on the beach. Care should be taken when carrying high value items such as cameras, or when wearing expensive jewelry on the street. Women's handbags should be zipped and held close to the body. Men should carry wallets in their front pants pocket. Large amounts of cash should always be handled discreetly.

The U.S. Embassy advises its staff to avoid inner-city areas of Kingston and other urban centers, such as those listed in the section on Safety and Security, whenever possible. Particular caution is advised after dark and in downtown Kingston. The U.S. Embassy also cautions its staff not to use public buses, which are often overcrowded and are a frequent venue for crime.

To enhance security in the principal resort areas, the Government of Jamaica has taken a number of steps, including assignment of special police foot and bicycle patrols. However, in 2008 two American families reported having been robbed inside their resort hotel rooms while they slept. Particular care is still called for, however, when staying at isolated villas and smaller establishments that may have fewer security arrangements. Some street vendors, beggars, and taxi drivers in tourist areas aggressively confront and harass tourists to buy their wares or employ their services. If a firm "No, thank you" does not solve the problem, visitors may wish to seek the assistance of a tourist police officer.

Drug use is prevalent in some tourist areas, leading to numerous American citizen arrests and incarcerations in Jamaica every year. American citizens should avoid buying, selling, holding, or taking illegal drugs under any circumstances. There is anecdotal evidence that the use of so-called date rape drugs, such as Ruhypnol, has become more common at clubs and private parties. Marijuana, cocaine, heroin and other illegal narcotics are especially potent in Jamaica, and their use may lead to severe or even disastrous health consequences.

In addition to a number of lottery and investment scams, relatives of U.S. citizens visiting Jamaica and U.S. citizens who are prisoners in Jamaica have received telephone calls from people claiming to be Jamaican police officers, other public officials, or medical professionals. The callers usually state that the visitor or prisoner has had trouble and needs financial help. In almost every case these claims are untrue. The caller insists that money should be sent to either themselves or a third party who will assist the visitor or prisoner, but when money is sent, it fails to reach the U.S. citizens in alleged need. U.S. citizens who receive calls such as these should never send money. They should contact the American Citizen Services Unit of the Embassy's Consular Section at telephone (876) 702-6000 for assistance in confirming the validity of the call.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1147.html#safety

1milehi, if I may offer some advice, don't waste your time responding to kooljammin's racially slanted remarks.(If you don't respond, she has no one to argue with. She loves it when someone responds to her monologue.) She's obviously uninformed, doesn't have a whole lot to do (notice the number of posts to this website), and some travelers, tourists, and people, can't handle the truth AND are uninformed and in denial. She probably thinks the U.S. Government's warning is made up and/or a conspiracy.. Fact is, Jamaica is a very dangerous place for tourists.( As is is Mexico.) Naivety is naivety but ignorance is scary.

1milehi, if I may offer some advice, don't waste your time responding to kooljammin's racially slanted remarks.(If you don't respond, she has no one to argue with. She loves it when someone responds to her monologue.) She's obviously uninformed, doesn't have a whole lot to do (notice the number of posts to this website), and some travelers, tourists, and people, can't handle the truth AND are uninformed and in denial. She probably thinks the U.S. Government's warning is made up and/or a conspiracy.. Fact is, Jamaica is a very dangerous place for tourists.( As is is Mexico.) Naivety is naivety but ignorance is scary.[/quote]

So you will stay home......problem solved. Now I go back to planning my other trips, returning to Mexico. However, recently safely back from Mexico:D

A life lived in fear is one half lived.

I just finished reading this thread and I must say that you all are very out spoken. That's good. Voicing ones beliefs always challenges another's. For us, we liked Ocho Rios and will visit again at the end of the month. But we use common sense and stay in the "tourist" area, go with ship excursions, and try to be polite as we respectfully decline to buy whatever...... The folks you encounter around the docks are just trying to feed their familes. I don't think anyone should fear going to Jamica. Just use the same common sense you would use in New York City, enjoy the scenery, and delight in the beauty of the people and the music in their speech.

We have just came back from Jamaica this week. Yes the crime is bad there, yes they do ask you if you want drugs. On our last trip there they did pat down my husband. This time he was expecting the same but they did not pat him down. We went straight through to detector and that was it. Jamaica is a beautiful country but a very poor one. You really have to plan and research ahead of time and you will have a great time. We used a tour company and did a private tour of the island and it was great. Our tour guide took real good care of us and only took us to places that he knew were safe. The people we encountered there were friendly. You just have to use your good sense when there or any where else for that matter.

I first went to Jamaica 26 years ago. You had to exchange your dollars then because they wern't accepted in 8 rivers. We did a ships tour with no problems. DRF was a lot different then, no lockers,boardwalks etc., but there have always been locals there selling stuff. No biggy.

I have been back several times,all cruises, and no ship tours and we always get off the ship. The last time we used a local guide to get away from the TOURIST not the locals.

We have never been offered drugs,patted down, or had any major problems, or felt like we were in danger.

If you visit any large US city and go into the slum areas you will be approached to buy drugs,give money,and most everything else.

The cruise ships are not going to Jamaica to put you into harms way or any other port like Mexico. If they think its a problem the port will be cancelled.

Stay on the ship if it makes you feel better. Its your cruise and your choice.

I am looking forward to getting my next fix of Jerk and some Blue mountain coffee.

First, there is a huge difference between Mo Bay and Ocho.

We were at Ocho last year (for the umpteenth time) and almost did not get off the ship....but I needed something so we did.

The atmosphere was MUCH better. Yes, we walked to the Island Village from the Ship...sidewalks all the way. Yes, we were asked a couple of times if we wanted a taxi...but we were asked in a respectful manner and when we said no...we were treated in a respectful manner.

Same with the hair braiding (I have very long hair).

The "vendors" are NOT allowed inside The Island Village that we walked to...and it was a very nice day there of shopping.

However, Mo Bay still does not get it. And it is time that cruise line guests voice their opinion.

If people stopped booking cruises that went to Mo Bay and told Carnival why...and "would really stick to it"....Carnival would stop going to Mo Bay.

I suggest that everyone that has had this experience write a short, well worded letter to Ruben Rodriguez (VP of Guest Experiences) and let him know how you feel.

3655 N.W. 87th Avenue

Miami, FL 33178

Good luck!

I hate that you had to experience that!!! I went to Ocho Rios in January and nothing like that happened!! Although that port really intimidated me. My boyfriend and I are going on the Conquest in Nov. which is set to go to MO Bay and now I might reconsider getting off the ship. I hate to hear what the women went through:confused:

The women dont go through anything like that. The women are separated from the men when you go through the security check point to return to the ship. BUT.. it's only a matter of getting into a different line then the men. You can still see each other, it's not like they take the men to a different room or anything.

I personally did not see a problem with the way they handled security. It was refreshing to know that nobody was getting on the ship with anything illegal. Granted, none of the other ports had this extra security check point but with Jamaica's crime and drug problem they have to do what they have to do. Be thankful that they care enough about security to be so cautious.

I was in Mo Bay last Wednesday on the Conquest. Men and women were not separated to go through security to reboard the ship. I also heard no one talking about any of this happening to them.

Maybe someone told them to quit it...?

I was in Mo Bay last Wednesday on the Conquest. Men and women were not separated to go through security to reboard the ship. I also heard no one talking about any of this happening to them.

Oh, I hope they did! We will be there in June and I've had second thoughts about getting off the ship there. However, we have gone ahead and booked the horseback riding excursion. I don't want to miss out on this port, but at the same time I've been slightly concerned about it although the searches aren't the only thing of concern. We've decided to just go and try to have a great time. In addition to concerns about Mo Bay we now have all of the chatter about the situation in Mexico. It's all beginning to put quite a damper on our upcoming trip!! :(

Same here. We were in MoBay a couple of weeks ago, and had no bad experiences getting back on the ship. In fact, there was a band playing beside the ship and it was a nice send off. Our Jamaica excursion was one of the highlights of our trip.

The cruise ships are not going to Jamaica to put you into harms way or any other port like Mexico. If they think its a problem the port will be cancelled.

Then how do you explain the fact that a very serious crime occurred on a Carnival excursion in 2007 that they are still offering to their passengers to this day?

I read this article: http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/LatestMemberStories/Kenneth_Williams.html

and was completely blown away today when shopping for excursions online to find that the "Lethe Village Tour" is still being offered by Carnival to passengers!

My question here is genuine, not an attempt to be a smart a$$ since I know so many of you have strong views about Jamaica.

We'll be taking our first cruise that stops in Jamaica and I was looking for a "relatively safe" excursion to go on as we've heard so much about crime and intolerence in Jamaica.

We don't want to stay on the boat. We want to get out and experience it.

But reading these comments here, the message we're getting is either to stay on the boat or deal with all of the evil that Jamaica could possibly dish out while on shore.

Someone earlier made reference to New York and for those who are familiar with New York will understand where I draw a parallel:

A tourist visiting NY should be on guard for pickpockets, panhandlers, etc. in Times Square, Washington Square Park, etc. fine.

It's NY and crime happens, but they should still expect to be in a reasonably safe part of lower Manhattan, not uptown well past Central Park into Harlem, etc. or bad areas of Brooklyn, Bronx, etc.

I don't think that it's reasonable to say that if you want to visit NY you need to deal with the crime and volatility of uptown and some parts of Brooklyn have to offer.

I think that it's reasonable to expect that cruise ships drop us off in a relatively safe area.

No maybe not "as safe as your back yard" as someone earlier put it, but it should be at least as safe as Greenwich Village or Midtown Manhattan in NYC.

Cruise ships have limited docking and don't like to use tenders for disembarking. They continue to build "super ships" with thousands of passengers and cruising demand has grown the last ten years but the cruise lines also have limited destinations. Some have even bought small islands and beaches for their passenger safety but why take a ship to a beach? The Gulf coast of the U.S. has beaches every bit as beautiful as any foreign destination. These cruise lines are interested in profit so if that means using a questionable port, until they are forced to stop short of a war, they will continue to use MB, Jamaica. My advice would be to take a tour using a reputable, recommended guide and hope for the best. I would leave my valuables on board and take only essentials.

Oh, I hope they did! We will be there in June and I've had second thoughts about getting off the ship there. However, we have gone ahead and booked the horseback riding excursion. I don't want to miss out on this port, but at the same time I've been slightly concerned about it although the searches aren't the only thing of concern. We've decided to just go and try to have a great time. In addition to concerns about Mo Bay we now have all of the chatter about the situation in Mexico. It's all beginning to put quite a damper on our upcoming trip!! :(

Steph,

Don't work yourself into a tizzy like I did before my trip! I had the same concerns you have, but they were unfounded...thank goodness!

The Jamaican people I encountered were very friendly, and PJ did not take us into areas where we would be accosted by vendors.

I am even planning a return trip for a land vacation and will use Peat Taylor Tours again.

~Stir

Then how do you explain the fact that a very serious crime occurred on a Carnival excursion in 2007 that they are still offering to their passengers to this day?

I read this article: http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/LatestMemberStories/Kenneth_Williams.html

and was completely blown away today when shopping for excursions online to find that the "Lethe Village Tour" is still being offered by Carnival to passengers!

My question here is genuine, not an attempt to be a smart a$$ since I know so many of you have strong views about Jamaica.

We'll be taking our first cruise that stops in Jamaica and I was looking for a "relatively safe" excursion to go on as we've heard so much about crime and intolerence in Jamaica.

We don't want to stay on the boat. We want to get out and experience it.

But reading these comments here, the message we're getting is either to stay on the boat or deal with all of the evil that Jamaica could possibly dish out while on shore.

Someone earlier made reference to New York and for those who are familiar with New York will understand where I draw a parallel:

A tourist visiting NY should be on guard for pickpockets, panhandlers, etc. in Times Square, Washington Square Park, etc. fine.

It's NY and crime happens, but they should still expect to be in a reasonably safe part of lower Manhattan, not uptown well past Central Park into Harlem, etc. or bad areas of Brooklyn, Bronx, etc.

I don't think that it's reasonable to say that if you want to visit NY you need to deal with the crime and volatility of uptown and some parts of Brooklyn have to offer.

I think that it's reasonable to expect that cruise ships drop us off in a relatively safe area.

No maybe not "as safe as your back yard" as someone earlier put it, but it should be at least as safe as Greenwich Village or Midtown Manhattan in NYC.

And if a public transportation bus offered by your local is robbed should it be shut down,cease to exist. I think you know the answer to that.

If its unsafe the cruise line will not go there or offer an excursion.

I have nothing against pax staying on the ship while docked in Jamaica.

Since you brought up something that happened almost 2 years ago, maybe you can answer this question,Did CCL suspend this excursion at this time?, if they did, then they were looking out for their pax,and since you say this excursion is being offered then CCL must feel very comfortable with that.

I'm only on the second page of this post, but I know I've read enough to know that I'm not gettting off the boat when we stop in OR next week.

I regret having booked the spring break cruise on Carnival Triumph that stops in OR. My son who's 13 and I will be baking on Lido deck and enjoying little smaller lines in the Buffett that day.

Never again will I book another cruist that stops in Jamaica.

I'm three days away from sailing out of Miami, but I'm already upset at Carnival for repeatedly dropping the price, but refusing any onboard credit or upgrade. The ship isn't hardly full as the deals abound on this sailing. And now to read about the unsafe conditions in OR....Yikes...

I vote with my wallet.

Will not book ANY ship with Jamaica on the itinerary. "Just stay on the ship" is not a viable option for me, as I would still have to pay port charges that would go to Jamaica. They won't be seeing a dime of my money.

Random pat downs? Rampant drug problems? Overly-aggressive locals? Um, no thanks.

And poverty is not an excuse. Been to many ports where poverty is a problem, but never have felt unsafe.

But the biggest reason of all....I will not financially contribute to ANY country where hate crimes against gay people are tolerated. Inexcusable!!!

I've been to Ocho Rios 3 times now with Carnival. We got off the boat, got a van to Dunns Falls, came back to the area right around the boat, shopped around, got back on the boat and enjoyed the rest of the day. I know that the locals will try to get you to buy stuff but if you just walk on and say no thank you, they have never bothered me. Plus it's such a small part of seeing the beauty that is Jamaica. I for one say go enjoy and just know when to walk past people.

I just have to laugh....really...do you believe everything you read on these threads? If I did...then all the food sucks...on every cruiseline, everyone on board a cruise ship is rude, all of the rooms are dirty, the staff ignores you, there is no alcohol in the drinks...the ship rocks and everyone will get seasick...there are no lounge chairs available after the chairhogs come by around 7 am....everyone gets sick or comes on board sick or has a virus....or a ton of other evils that are discussed with great fury.....I am not sure why I even looked on this thread...but I got what I expected...a laugh...and feeling of sadness......

Almost anywhere things can happen. I have been to many cities in Jamaica and have never once...even in the dreaded Mo Bay...felt unsafe. Of course, I don't wander alone or at night...we were there last year for a week....no problems....and we did a lot of walking around town and took a tour that took us into the "real" Jamaica....

So....remember....many people only remember the bad....or tell the bad they've heard....or enjoy sharing the bad....I just know that I am not going to let anyone influence me...I will experience it myself....

Best wishes to everyone .....

I just have to laugh....really...do you believe everything you read on these threads? If I did...then all the food sucks...on every cruiseline, everyone on board a cruise ship is rude, all of the rooms are dirty, the staff ignores you, there is no alcohol in the drinks...the ship rocks and everyone will get seasick...there are no lounge chairs available after the chairhogs come by around 7 am....everyone gets sick or comes on board sick or has a virus....or a ton of other evils that are discussed with great fury.....I am not sure why I even looked on this thread...but I got what I expected...a laugh...and feeling of sadness......

Almost anywhere things can happen. I have been to many cities in Jamaica and have never once...even in the dreaded Mo Bay...felt unsafe. Of course, I don't wander alone or at night...we were there last year for a week....no problems....and we did a lot of walking around town and took a tour that took us into the "real" Jamaica....

So....remember....many people only remember the bad....or tell the bad they've heard....or enjoy sharing the bad....I just know that I am not going to let anyone influence me...I will experience it myself....

Best wishes to everyone .....

You are really being overly dramatic....and quite negative yourself!! There is a huge amount of positivity on CC....and incredible information. So, yes, have a laugh (as do I)....lighten up Mon!! (or is it light up?).

This exact thing happened to my husband and several other men we were with when we coming back on the ship in Montego Bay on our Conquest cruise. The security woman pushed me to the side and went after my husband. I could of been smuggling pounds of drugs but she had absolutely no interest in me. The men compared notes after we got back on board they all got the same treatment as you described. Also one of my husbands co workers went on this same cruise after us and reported the same experience. His wife was so upset she was going to write a complaint to the tourist board in Jamaica, we said good luck. This did not happen in Ocho Rios on other cruises. We would of complained but we doubted anyone would believe the story. Its pretty sickening that these security woman in Montego Bay get their jollies off of molesting tourists.

Im pretty sure that if people complained to the cruise company and started to tell them that they would not cruise with them if one of the ports was Mo-Bay, there might be some sort of movement around resolving this issue, especially with cruise lines hurting for passengers.

I know my next cruise stops in Mo-Bay and I don't plan on getting off the ship then. I always get searched in US airports, I suppose I just fit "the profile"...I can't imagine what would happen in Mo-Bay!

Im pretty sure that if people complained to the cruise company and started to tell them that they would not cruise with them if one of the ports was Mo-Bay, there might be some sort of movement around resolving this issue, especially with cruise lines hurting for passengers.

I know my next cruise stops in Mo-Bay and I don't plan on getting off the ship then. I always get searched in US airports, I suppose I just fit "the profile"...I can't imagine what would happen in Mo-Bay!

People have complained, pleaded andbegged included locals and ex-pats, to limit especially cruise ship and mega resort toursits to the island. The right people are still benifiting which is why they are building a port in Falmouth and another scheduled close to Negril:mad: Please stay on the ship if you are one not to apprecite the island with all the problems and faults. The infrasture can only handle that much, so one less is one better. God bless the place when RCCL dumps even a small fraction of it's 5000 Oasis of the Seas passengers, into what I can imgine will be once beautiful and friendly Falmouth. There are people who truly love the island, so the karma and vibe change by those who would be better off on the Lido deck on port day. This is the day when some of the selfish passengers, who hog the chairs by the pool, push pass you in the bufffet line, don't supervise their kids, maybe be off being rude to locals. Hey mon, enjoy the time while they are gone. I am wouldn't risk being close to the ports with them either;) I don't get search in the US but in Jamaica. I can tolerate if that what it takes to deal with the drug problem...baby steps!

Safe Travels

Ok, I just got off the boat Sunday am, and was in OR, Jamaica last Tuesday. My impressions are as follows:

First of all, nothing seriously offensive happened to me. I must admit, I was very cautious about the locals hanging around just outside the port's enclosed area.

I did get harrassed by many to purchase something. Found myself continiously saying 'No, Thank you' all the time' Other locals gave us uncomfortable glances/stares as if to check us out/scope us out... for what I'll never know. Other than the tour, we walked as far as the Taj Mahal shopping area near the port. I wanted to go farther and explore a bit more, but did not have the stomach as the area seemed unsafe and the possibility of something adverse happening seemed quite real, as there were numerous lone men hanging around on every corner for no obvious reason except to scope out the non natives.

Did not get searched by the port security.

Having said all this, would I go back or look forward to something special about this area if I did book another cruise that stopped there? I can only speak for myself and I know that I couldn't totally enjoy a place where I could not let my guard down. And in this place, I wouldn't let my guard down. The natural beauty aside, I did not have a relaxing experience in Jamaica.

The readers must keep in mind that this is only my point of view and other fellow cruisers on the same ship may have had an entirely different outlook than mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to let you know we were in OR last week and one of the males with our group was also greeted with this pat down hand shake or whatever you want to call it. We also witness another. It seems if you had tatoos or piercings you got the extra treatment, so it is not just limited to MoBay.

Archived