If You Don't Like Being Violated Don't Book A Cruise To Jamaica

Joedog

All this talk about food is making me hungry again.;) (humor intended)

I wouldn't have this problem if I was back on the Conquest.

I am having goat meat, jerk chicken and, beef patties with Red Stripe Beer. The rest of the gang is having pizza. You are more than welcome to join me:p

Ok, you've talked me into it. I had decided not to go to Jamaica because of all of the horror stories that I've read about vendors and pushers and scarey people in general, but now I am ready to go. You see, it has been a long, long time since I've had anyone feel of my goodies.

Which port has the best chance of any action. I once thought about sneaking some pepper spay onboard. That way if I wasn't molested I could use it to have a good cry.

Yeah, Baby!:D

I'm thinking of carrying an extra sock or maybe a banana.

Seriously folks, it's a foreign country. Different culture, different customs, different standards of military and law enforcement conduct. The standards you are used to may not or will not be observed. If you don't like it don't get off the ship.

You have my sympathy and it's a wonder someone with less self-control than you didn't turn this incident into a crisis. We've never been to Mo' Bay, but were in Ocho Rios on MOS in 2006. Quite frankly, I have never, ever experienced such inhospitality in a "tourist" destination. As beautiful as Jamiaca is, those people are flat-out scary. I find it unfathomable that anybody ever goes there more than once. I'd be surprised if the cruise lines aren't well aware of many of the hazards their passengers face but until people vote with the dollar, what difference does it make to them?

Happy Sails,

Annette

Its on our upcoming Sept RCCI Freedom cruise and I plan to stay on the ship while in port at OR Jamica.

Once was enough for us.

• 2 weeks later...
Jamacia is a unique culture with beautiful people and scenery. To be well traveled and see the world, one must be willing to go and experience things that are different. Fear has no place in the heart of a traveler.

A life lived or traveled in fear is such a waste;)

Jamaica had three strikes with me and now Jamaica is OUT ! I try to avoid itineraries that stop in Jamaica or stay on the ship if it stops in Jamaica.

Jamaica ....... Just don't do it !

It took three times for you , maybe others would like to experience there ONCE! Congrats.....you gave it a go.

No problem Mon!

Jamaica had three strikes with me and now Jamaica is OUT ! I try to avoid itineraries that stop in Jamaica or stay on the ship if it stops in Jamaica.

Jamaica ....... Just don't do it !

So you're telling EVERYONE reading this thread not to go to Jamaica because you don't like it? I've been there several times, and yes have been asked to buy "prescriptions", and have even been hit on by a few women. I've also gotten married there, walked around without harrassment, visited local stores without the aid of a 'security guard' in the form of a guide.

But I'll stop going because you said so. Better not get off the ship when i get there this year. Or better yet, i'll cancel my cruise, close my doors and windows, that way I'll be safe from the "natives" as people have referred to Jamaican citizens.

So you're telling EVERYONE reading this thread not to go to Jamaica because you don't like it? I've been there several times, and yes have been asked to buy "prescriptions", and have even been hit on by a few women. I've also gotten married there, walked around without harrassment, visited local stores without the aid of a 'security guard' in the form of a guide.

But I'll stop going because you said so. Better not get off the ship when i get there this year. Or better yet, i'll cancel my cruise, close my doors and windows, that way I'll be safe from the "natives" as people have referred to Jamaican citizens.

I kinda agree with that sediment, but I do understand the hard feels many have who have visited Jamaica. Jamaica certainly has a love/hate relationship with tourism. I've frequently seen obnoxious tourists belittle the "natives," and vice versa. Jamaicans are proud of their culture an heritage so they struggle with the feeling of living in a "zoo" where rich people come and try to haggle and squeese every penny they can out of the price of some trinkets. I think that's why some feel so pushy. The rudeness is mostly around the tourist areas.

Other than Dunns River Falls, I didn't really like Ochi. It was so fake and rude. Kingston, though, is one of my favorite cities I have ever visited (after Tokyo and Hong Kong). I've spent about 6 weeks there and in Spanish Town. That's the real Jamaica, and I love it. I generally try to avoid the touristy dog and pony shows most places I visit. I loved walking the back streets of Cozumel and Nassau, for example, far from the cheesy bars and touts. It takes all kinds, so if Jamaica isn't your cup of tea I understand, and I'm sorry about the security ordeal some have had to go through. I've never been through that in any other part of the country.

I kinda agree with that sediment, but I do understand the hard feels many have who have visited Jamaica. Jamaica certainly has a love/hate relationship with tourism. I've frequently seen obnoxious tourists belittle the "natives," and vice versa. Jamaicans are proud of their culture an heritage so they struggle with the feeling of living in a "zoo" where rich people come and try to haggle and squeese every penny they can out of the price of some trinkets. I think that's why some feel so pushy. The rudeness is mostly around the tourist areas.

Other than Dunns River Falls, I didn't really like Ochi. It was so fake and rude. Kingston, though, is one of my favorite cities I have ever visited (after Tokyo and Hong Kong). I've spent about 6 weeks there and in Spanish Town. That's the real Jamaica, and I love it. I generally try to avoid the touristy dog and pony shows most places I visit. I loved walking the back streets of Cozumel and Nassau, for example, far from the cheesy bars and touts. It takes all kinds, so if Jamaica isn't your cup of tea I understand, and I'm sorry about the security ordeal some have had to go through. I've never been through that in any other part of the country.

Once was enough for some toursits on the island. Once was too much for some natives who had been mistreated and dismissed by toursits in thier homeland.

The port is controlled by the Jamaican Port Authority and NOT the cruise line. The cruise line controls the security on the other side of the gate when you go thorugh the terminal and go back to the ship.

I have been to both MoBay and Ocho Rios and have had no problem with the port security. I did encounter a little rudeness when scanning my bags to go back to the ship, but other than that, I'll be going back in April and willingly will go back again and again and again!!!

Jamaica is our least favorite port. We've been to Ocho Rios several times and once to MoBay. It always seemed like someone was ripping you off or trying to rip you off in Jamaica. We now call Jamaica our spa day since the spa usually gives nice discounts while docked in port.

Once was enough for some toursits on the island. Once was too much for some natives who had been mistreated and dismissed by toursits in thier homeland.

Well said.

I really hate to read posts where people tell everyone not to go to a port because 'they had a bad experience.' It never ceases to amaze me that people think that the tourist-trap around the cruise ship port represents an entire country.

I thought the whole idea of visiting other countries was to see the countries, and not just the Margaritaville sitting just off the dock. "Get out there" and away from tourist-town and you'll see the difference in the behavior of a country's citizens. You may even like it.

Jamaica is our least favorite port. We've been to Ocho Rios several times and once to MoBay. It always seemed like someone was ripping you off or trying to rip you off in Jamaica. We now call Jamaica our spa day since the spa usually gives nice discounts while docked in port.

Ocho Rios was one of the friendliest ports we have been to, we loved it.

This same thing happened to me a couple of years ago when my wife and I went to Mo'Bay. I was groped by a very well built:eek: Jamaican woman at the line to get back on the ship. Didn't appreciate it at all. We had been shopping in the gift shops inside the terminal and I had bought a small soap stone elephant. Just before I got frisked, the large lady grabbed the bag that I had in my hand and threw it on the conveyor to be scanned and broke the item into several pieces. Then to be groped like I was, was just insulting. I personally would rather stay on the ship during our next visit to Jamaica but wife wants to do the zip-line thing so I guess I will be getting my stuff fondled again. I enjoy the ship more than the ports anyway. If I had my way I wouldn't leave the ship at any of them. LOL

I have read a lot here about the agressive pat downs of men upon return to the ship at Montego Bay. I have noticed too that a lot of the postings involved Carnival Cruise Lines customers. Has anybody on RCCL experienced the same thing? Has it been the same regardless of cruise lines?

CruiseChief

I have read a lot here about the aggressive pat downs of men upon return to the ship at Montego Bay. I have noticed too that a lot of the postings involved Carnival Cruise Lines customers. Has anybody on RCCL experienced the same thing? Has it been the same regardless of cruise lines?

CruiseChief

They don't discriminate, it doesn't matter which cruise line you are on. They also pull the same stunts at the airport. They will take items from your carry on bag and tell you to get it from the flight attendant once you have boarded. When you ask the flight attendant about your item they have no clue. Your item has been stolen from a "security person"(thief in my words).

We just got back today from our Conquest cruise and wanted to vent/inform a little bit about something that is happening at the cruise terminal in Montego Bay, namely groping of the male passengers by the local port authorities.

I have been on many cruises (both Navy & cruiseline) and have had port calls to more than 40 countries and I have never been treated more disgustingly in a port than this last cruise when we stopped in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

After spending the day spending money in this port I (and almost every other male passenger returning to the ship) were separated from the women passengers and forced to go through a "pat down" search by the local authorities where the "frisker" actually grabbed our penises and testicles through our clothes and squeezed them.

I should mention that all I (we) were doing was returning to the ship. We had not done anything "wrong". We were not drunk/stoned or even loud.

The more I think about this the more flabbergasted I become and the madder I get at Carnival for taking me to a port where I was treated so shabbily. For the life of me I do not understand why Carnival allowed us to be treated that way without some protest on their part but they did not even have anyone present in the terminal to oversee their passengers being fondled.

Oh, I should also mention, to add insult to injury, the "searches" were filmed by some British television crew doing a documentary on how Jamaica treats tourists.

Can someone tell me why Carnival is still sailing to this port and/or why anyone would book a cruise that includes Jamaica as a port call if the local authorities treat cruise ship passengers like this?

I can honestly tell you that if this would have happened to my DH we would be in serious trouble because he would never allow another male, cruise terminal police or not, to search him that way. We would probably be all over the news and having the Jamaican authorities apologizing. I also wonder why cruise ships in general sail to Montego Bay, we went there and will never get off the ship again. We are now going to Ocho Rios for the first time, so no opinion on that yet. But look at all the tourist propaganda in the US, they make Jamaica look like paradise. People want to go, airlines and cruise lines take them. If people would not get off on these ports or travel to this country, I am sure the cruise line would consider it twice. But not everyone has bad experiences and not everyone dislikes Jamaica. I guess We have a neighbor that loves Jamaica, but all she does it stay in a resort and doesnt go out into the city. :cool:

Archived