If You Don't Like Being Violated Don't Book A Cruise To Jamaica

Joedog

My wife and I were just in Ocho Rios on our first cruise, so our experience would not compare with Montego Bay. We found the Jamaicans we encountered on our shore excursion to be friendly, pleasant and respectful. They commented on the poverty and drug problems, and said, "You want to stay away from Kingston. Bad scene, mon." So I'm sure that would go for Mo'bay as well. If the Jamaicans are legitimately attempting to curtail the drug trade, they need to do what they need to do, but it certainly sounds like they need to develop a more refined touch (no pun intended).

I would think it encumbent on the cruise line to inform passengers that they may very well be subject to this kind of search before they leave the ship. Those who can stomach it can go; if not, stay aboard. If it's this bad, though, they should consider dropping Mo'bay from their itinerary, or switching to Ocho Rios.

My wife and I were just in Ocho Rios on our first cruise, so our experience would not compare with Montego Bay. We found the Jamaicans we encountered on our shore excursion to be friendly, pleasant and respectful. They commented on the poverty and drug problems, and said, "You want to stay away from Kingston. Bad scene, mon." So I'm sure that would go for Mo'bay as well. If the Jamaicans are legitimately attempting to curtail the drug trade, they need to do what they need to do, but it certainly sounds like they need to develop a more refined touch (no pun intended).

I would think it encumbent on the cruise line to inform passengers that they may very well be subject to this kind of search before they leave the ship. Those who can stomach it can go; if not, stay aboard. If it's this bad, though, they should consider dropping Mo'bay from their itinerary, or switching to Ocho Rios.

We just returned from visiting Ocho Rios with the Carnival Freedom. We had no problem at all. First, the cruise director informed (those that were listening) to all the possible issues that might be encountered when in Jamaica. We went in "informed". We were a little skeptical about Jamaica but were pleasantly surprised...even got into the "non-touristy areas). We are acutally contemplating a whole stay there in the future. The walk through back to the cruise ship was a non-event to the point of being perhaps a little lax :rolleyes:. Being in the right place at the right time or wrong time is something that often depends on fate. It's really unfortuneate when something bad happens to damper your trip and it COULD happen to any of us...lets just just prepare and pray it doesn't.

Piperi

Re; Treatment of American citizens. I've been to Jamaica many times. Besides 99% of the population being destitute, they are most resentful of you/us and take their frustrations out on us. The only way to control the masses is to keep them uneducated and poor. If guns were available, there probably would be a revolution in Jamaica. The locals also resent the local "haves" but realize that prison is not a good alternative to what little freedom they have while the "haves" siphon all the tourist dollars for their lavish lifestyles. Why wouldn't they be resentful? Most tourists are flush with cash, jewelry, well fed, just disembarked from a "all-you-can-eat" floating hotel,etc. while they barely have clothing and food and a cardboard box for a residence. I don't believe there is a Social Security system in Jamaica so how is an uneducated poor person supposed to react to you? They are trapped in that environment and can't escape. You are extremely naive if you believe for one minute they don't resent evey bone in your body and groping is just another way to show it. Let's face it, Americans aren't respeced by many other countries due to our excesses and mostly what they see on TV about us. Do you really blame them??? Unfortunately Jamaica is just one step above Haiti. I'll never forget taking my children to Jamaica in the 70's and trying to explain to them why those pitiful people lived the way they did/do. That won't change until, just like here, there are honest politicians who try and correct the injustices perpetrated on the citizens. They have no voice except to show their anger and frustrations. It's sad but true. Why do the cruise ships continue to go there? Because there are so many now, they are running out of other places to go. Also, it's cheaper for them to dock than release all the tenders for disembarking. Jamaica has docks. Allot of that choice is convenience and accessability. My advice for you is to stay on the ship or run the risk of groping.

We are traveling to Jamaica in May and will be traveling with children. We plan to get off the boat, and do plan to spend money in port.

That being said, it sounds like you are familiar with their culture, etc. Would it be considered rude or offensive to the locals if we as a family brought clothing/shoes/etc. for the children in the village we are traveling to?

I have four kids and shop thrift stores/sales/etc. often and my kids have way too many clothes. It would not be a problem for me to ship some clothes to Florida and then take them on the cruise ship with me.

Does this seem offensive? Please advise.

This is making me nervous reading this. We are traveling to Montego Bay on Conquest in August. I have two boys, 11 and 14. My husband will be cool with it if he is prepared, but what about my boys? Ack. My oldest son is about 5 foot 6 or 7...definitely does not look like a man yet.

Also, we plan on doing an excursion either with Carnival or a reputable company. Is this safe to do in Jamaica?

This is our first cruise, I hate to not experience a port of call and stay on the ship, but I want our family to be safe.

No I don't think so but I certainly would be as inconspicuous as possible. And I certainly would keep it to yourself so that Jamaican Customs doesn't get involved. They would certainly take offense to it I feel sure. Just more resentment on their part. I would simply pack it as a normal bag. The recipients probably will be most appreciative. I'm really at a loss for the naivety of some of these travelers and their comments about their visits.

Do you think we will encounter very many local children? (Going to Ocho Rios) Would there be some other American item/trinket that would interest the Jamaiiccan children? Something smaller and less cumbersome to bring into port? (Books, Toys, Etc.?) Any ideas from those that have traveled to Jamaica extensively would be apprciated.

We are traveling to Jamaica in May and will be traveling with children. We plan to get off the boat, and do plan to spend money in port.

That being said, it sounds like you are familiar with their culture, etc. Would it be considered rude or offensive to the locals if we as a family brought clothing/shoes/etc. for the children in the village we are traveling to?

I have four kids and shop thrift stores/sales/etc. often and my kids have way too many clothes. It would not be a problem for me to ship some clothes to Florida and then take them on the cruise ship with me.

We just returned from a cruise that stopped in MoBay. It was our favorite port of call because we got out into the countryside. I went with my 8 and 11 year old kids on a private excursion (Carolyn Barrett), and we visited a school near Mayfield Falls. We brought some school supplies and the principal was very happy to receive them. She assured me that it is not offensive to bring gifts. They need supplies such as teaching aids and clothing. They appreciate our bringing them. We visited the Hillsbrook All Age School. The principal is Dothlyn Peart-Sharpe. Her phone number is 876-404-8370, and her email is dpeartsharpe@yahoo.com.

Can't keep quiet any longer. Read all these posts and they made me cry and angry all at once. But yours gives me hope. Anyway, I am a missionary here in Ja for a number of years (with children who have grown up here). If you want to tell me where you are visiting, I am sure that we can put you in touch with a local group that could use the help. I live in the center of the Island and our Ministry has two children's homes. But, we are too far from the Ports to travel to or I would offer to meet you myself. Anyway, I am putting up my email, but it will probably be pulled off quickly (as I think there is a rule against soliciting donations on these boards). But, if you get this, contact me:

ccompton@car.salvationarmy.org

Yes, that is a name you probably know in my email and yes I do work for them. Hope you have a fabulous trip and enjoy Jamaica...we do very much.

:)

Since you live in Oregon eellsinoc, it would likely be easier and more cost effective to ship your donation items to Jamaica. The airlines are putting very hefty charges on overweight baggage these days. You should definately check shipping cost vs. your cruise luggage overweight fees before you go.

Re; Treatment of American citizens. I've been to Jamaica many times. Why so many times?

Besides 99% of the population being destitute, they are most resentful of you/us and take their frustrations out on us.

Where did you find this number or you simply made it up?

The only way to control the masses is to keep them uneducated and poor.

Have you check the state of the US educational system under No Child Left behind?

If guns were available, there probably would be a revolution in Jamaica. The locals also resent the local "haves" but realize that prison is not a good alternative to what little freedom they have while the "haves" siphon all the tourist dollars for their lavish lifestyles.

How much time have you spent with the locals and families like mine?

Why wouldn't they be resentful?

Because many of us still know very little or nothing of the toursit sector

Most tourists are flush with cash, jewelry, well fed, just disembarked from a "all-you-can-eat" floating hotel,etc.

I don't believe there is a Social Security system in Jamaica so how is an uneducated poor person supposed to react to you?

The country do not get most of it's money from tourism but from many like myself who move abroad and work to support our families back home.

They are trapped in that environment and can't escape.

Don't think for one minute everyone on the island wants to leave and live in a country where so many people only care about themselves. many of my family members have refused to

You are extremely naive if you believe for one minute they don't resent evey bone in your body and groping is just another way to show it.

No they don't...I don't, never did!

Let's face it, Americans aren't respeced by many other countries due to our excesses and mostly what they see on TV about us. Do you really blame them??? Unfortunately Jamaica is just one step above Haiti. I'll never forget taking my children to Jamaica in the 70's and trying to explain to them why those pitiful people lived the way they did/do.

I was a kid in the 70's living there. What did you tell them about kids like me?

That won't change until, just like here, there are honest politicians who try and correct the injustices perpetrated on the citizens. They have no voice except to show their anger and frustrations. It's sad but true. Why do the cruise ships continue to go there? Because there are so many now, they are running out of other places to go. Also, it's cheaper for them to dock than release all the tenders for disembarking. Jamaica has docks. Allot of that choice is convenience and accessability. My advice for you is to stay on the ship or run the risk of groping.

Please do because it would break my heart for me or my children to encounter your attitude on my home soil.

How much time have you spent outside of the port pits of Jamaica? How many Jamaicans like myself or my family do you know or shared a drink with?

You got to love an island that evokes such emotions in people!! Eirre, Mon!

Unfortunately - probably the crappiest place to be in Jamaica is anywhere within 1/2 mile of a cruise ship pier...

Can you imagine being the Jamaican reading all this about your country from people who only know the ports. In their little minds Jamaica is Montego Bay and Ocho Rios. Places most locals know very little about. As a rule I try to put a distance between ship ports as soon as possible.

For all the complaints of drug in Jamaica (there is) the Americans/tourists provide the market. Thanks to so many neighbors, college buddies and possible co-workers, who go to the island for more than sun and beach, the problem has gotten worse. I have seen Americans light up in front of my kids on the beach. For some, if you want to know what is one of the big problem in Jamaica, look in the mirror before leaving the ship. Erie Mon, thank God some of these lovely cruisers who live in a country free of problems, less the health care problem, the war, the education system, the housing crisis and the messed up economy.

God Bless the place and here people. You either love it or hate

I think it all just comes down to the fact that some people are tourists and other people are travelers. Some don't care to go back to Jamaica. After Tokyo and Hong Kong, Kingston Jamaica is my 3rd favorite city, one that I've explored a half dozen times (and would love to retire to). Different stroke for different folks, I guess.

U. S. Department of State-Bureau of Consular Affairs. JAMAICA-2009

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Gang violence and shootings occur regularly in certain areas of Kingston and Montego Bay. These areas include, but are not limited to Mountain View, Trench Town, Tivoli Gardens, Cassava Piece, and Arnett Gardens in Kingston, and Flankers in Montego Bay. Some neighborhoods are occasionally subject to curfews and police searches. Impromptu demonstrations can occur, during which demonstrators often construct roadblocks or otherwise block the streets. These events usually do not affect tourist areas, but travelers to Kingston should check with local authorities or the U.S. Embassy for current information prior to their trip.

CRIME: Crime, including violent crime, is a serious problem in Jamaica, particularly in Kingston. While the vast majority of crimes occur in impoverished areas, the violence is not confined. The primary criminal concern for tourists is becoming a victim of theft. In several cases, armed robberies of Americans have turned violent when the victims resisted handing over valuables. Crime is exacerbated by the fact that police are understaffed and ineffective. Additionally, there have been frequent allegations of police corruption. Tourists should take their own precautions and always pay extra attention to their surroundings when traveling, exercise care when walking outside after dark, and should always avoid areas known for high crime rates. The U.S. Embassy advises its staff to avoid inner-city areas of Kingston and other urban centers, such as those listed in the section on Safety and Security, whenever possible. Particular caution is advised after dark and in downtown Kingston. The U.S. Embassy also cautions its staff not to use public buses, which are often overcrowded and are a frequent venue for crime.

To enhance security in the principal resort areas, the Government of Jamaica has taken a number of steps, including assignment of special police foot and bicycle patrols. However, in 2008 two American families reported having been robbed inside their resort hotel rooms while they slept. Particular care is still called for, however, when staying at isolated villas and smaller establishments that may have fewer security arrangements. Some street vendors, beggars, and taxi drivers in tourist areas aggressively confront and harass tourists to buy their wares or employ their services. If a firm "No, thank you" does not solve the problem, visitors may wish to seek the assistance of a tourist police officer.

Drug use is prevalent in some tourist areas, leading to numerous American citizen arrests and incarcerations in Jamaica every year. American citizens should avoid buying, selling, holding, or taking illegal drugs under any circumstances. There is anecdotal evidence that the use of so-called date rape drugs, such as Ruhypnol, has become more common at clubs and private parties. Marijuana, cocaine, heroin and other illegal narcotics are especially potent in Jamaica, and their use may lead to severe or even disastrous health consequences.

Drivers should make every effort to avoid areas of high crime and civil strife. Roadblocks are sometimes employed by residents as protests intended to draw attention to particular issues and require extreme caution by drivers. The U.S. Embassy advises its staff to exercise caution when traveling in areas described in the sections on Safety and Security and Crime. The Embassy also advises its staff to always keep their windows up and doors locked when driving and to leave enough distance between themselves and the preceding car at intersections to allow a roll forward in case of harassment by pedestrian panhandlers. Street corners are frequented by peddlers, window washers, and beggars walking among stopped cars. As a rule, drivers should always avoid contact with large groups of pedestrians.

Most roads are paved, but suffer from ill repair, inadequate signage, large pot holes, and poor traffic control markings. Roads are often subject to poorly marked construction zones, pedestrians, bicyclists, and, occasionally, livestock. The lack of pedestrian crosswalks requires special vigilance for all pedestrians. Driving habits range from aggressive speeding and disregard for others to inexperience and over-polite behaviors creating uncertainty and hazards to pedestrians. In February 2009, an American tourist in Jamaica was killed while attempting to cross a busy stretch of road to his hotel. The American was hit by an overtaking car after another vehicle had stopped and waved him across. Roads in rural areas (including near major tourist resorts in Montego Bay and Negril) are often traveled at very high speeds and pedestrians should take special care when attempting to cross.

The Department of State warns U.S. citizens against taking any type of firearm or ammunition into Jamaica without authorization from the Ministry of National Security. Entering Jamaica with a firearm or even a single round of ammunition is a serious crime that can result in a long prison sentence.

Penalties for possession, use, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Jamaica are severe, and convicted offenders can expect long jail sentences and heavy fines. Airport searches are thorough and people attempting to smuggle narcotics are often apprehended. Prison conditions in Jamaica differ greatly from prison conditions in the United States. Prisoners are provided only the most basic meals and must rely upon personal funds, family and friends to supplement their diets, provide clothing, and supply personal care items such as toothpaste and shampoo.

And from Amnesty International U.S.A.--"Jamaica has one of the highest rates of violent crime in the world.The main body responsible for policing in Jamaica is the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF). However, far from protecting people from violent crime the JCF is contributing to the escalation of violence. Jamaica has one of the highest rates of police killings in the Americas.

Many of those responsible for violent crime are not brought to justice because of failings in the justice system. The number of murders investigated and solved by the police is extremely low. Prosecution and conviction rates are also extremely poor."

Facts are facts.

Some people don't want to hear or see the facts jrhllc.

I guess some of the "travelers" here would like to vacation in Somalia ........ just to prove they are "travelers" not "tourist".

I had enough of the "traveler" cr*p in the Marines !

I guess some of the "travelers" here would like to vacation in Somalia ........ just to prove they are "travelers" not "tourist".

Maybe there would return being a better person, learning something, appreciating a bit more, than be stuck on deck with some passengers whose mind can't differentiate between a port pit, a country and her people. So when does that ship sail for Somalia?

Mark Twain said it so well: Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and NARROW-MINDEDNESS; all foes to the real understand.

I think it all just comes down to the fact that some people are tourists and other people are travelers. Some don't care to go back to Jamaica. After Tokyo and Hong Kong, Kingston Jamaica is my 3rd favorite city, one that I've explored a half dozen times (and would love to retire to). Different stroke for different folks, I guess.

Dont' forget bottom line RACISM. The presence of poor blacks is some people's worse night mare. Some find it necessary to make reference to the KKK, in this day and age, when talking about a area or an situation with blacks. I think that says it ALLLLLLLLLLLL! Yep, I know they have a friend who is black.

Well ,well our little ray of sunshine, the always offended kooljamming is going to lecture me again. I have been to many countries as a "traveler" KJ. I've seen the "Eye of the Elephant"(those in the know,know what I mean) in two of them. Maybe you should stop being so thin skinned KJ, lighten up, stop playing the race card every time someone says something you disagree with. Because you are actually what you have accused several others of on this board.

As for your comment on the KKK, maybe you need to re-read that post. You obviously have a reading comprehension problem.

"So when does the ship leave for Somalia ?" I'll let that comment stand on its own ...... no comment from me. :rolleyes:

Dont' forget bottom line RACISM. The presence of poor blacks is some people's worse night mare. Some find it necessary to make reference to the KKK, in this day and age, when talking about a area or an situation with blacks. I think that says it ALLLLLLLLLLLL! Yep, I know they have a friend who is black.

Whoa! I have read all 25 pages of this thread and never in any of the comments did I see anything close to racism. Ive been to over 20 Islands through out the Caribbean and have never been treated as bad as I was in Jamaica. I dont care if your purple, green or black, im not going to spend my hard earned money in country that treats the tourists like dirt when I can go to other Islands that appreciate the money the tourists bring in. I gave Jamaica 2 chances and wont make that mistake again. The presence of poor black people wasnt my worst nightmare, it was how rude people were to me, color had nothing to do with it. And whats up with the KKK comment? That has nothing to do with all the problems in Jamaica.

Well ,well our little ray of sunshine, the always offended kooljamming is going to lecture me again. I have been to many countries as a "traveler" KJ. I've seen the "Eye of the Elephant"(those in the know,know what I mean) in two of them. Maybe you should stop being so thin skinned KJ, lighten up, stop playing the race card every time someone says something you disagree with. Because you are actually what you have accused several others of on this board.

As for your comment on the KKK, maybe you need to re-read that post. You obviously have a reading comprehension problem.

Clearly which is why I asked you to explain...so do you mind? Lets say those three letter strike fear in some of us. Did you really mean that all JAMAICANS should become drug dealers, in a previous post, or just the ones at the port.

"So when does the ship leave for Somalia ?" I'll let that comment stand on its own ...... no comment from me. :rolleyes:

Could you please explain the KKK reference?

As for race it has no place in my world....over 20 years with someone of another RACE. I am capable of seeing beyond color, maybe a lot more than some can see beyond a port pit. May I ask, where have you been in Jamaica and for how long? As for Somalia, some travel because they can make a difference, other to remind themselves how much better they are. I don't really disagree with or anyone for the most part about Ocho Rios or Montego bay. I disagree with those who spend a few hours at port then use it to judge the entire country and the people they never meet. Not to say you will like the people or what you see outside these area, many don't yet others do.

Whoa! I have read all 25 pages of this thread and never in any of the comments did I see anything close to racism. Ive been to over 20 Islands through out the Caribbean and have never been treated as bad as I was in Jamaica. I dont care if your purple, green or black, im not going to spend my hard earned money in country that treats the tourists like dirt when I can go to other Islands that appreciate the money the tourists bring in. I gave Jamaica 2 chances and wont make that mistake again. The presence of poor black people wasnt my worst nightmare, it was how rude people were to me, color had nothing to do with it. And whats up with the KKK comment? That has nothing to do with all the problems in Jamaica.

Maybe 1milehi, will post and explain.

In Ocho Rios I have experinece rude Jamaicans and rude TOURISTS. It might surprise you to know that NOT all toursits are as nice as you are. One asked my daughter, at a resort, what she was doing there. One naturally assumed I was a drug dealer and asked me for weed infront of my children. Others made comments like, I would enjoy the place if not for the locals. Can you imagine a foreigner saying I would enjoy Disneyland more, if not for all the Americans around. The ports can be a bad experience not only for TOURISTS but the LOCALS. Many aren't fortunate enough to experience it as a local and as a toursit. We both might not care for Ocho Rios because of RUDE people, but only the feelings on the toursits truly counts...maybe? Here is a news flash, Jamaicans are known to be friendly and American toursits NICE.....but port areas can be a challenge for both groups. I hold nothing against the tourists who dismiss my presence or were unkind to me in Ocho Rios. The ones who assume I am less, unhappy ,or unworthy, because I own less....we are not!

Archived